start up problems

My dad has an older computer with 128 ram and 200megs of memory. I am not
sure of the speed. Using land line for internet. Recently he was starting
up his computer and the power to the house went out. It appears to have
crashed the system. He is able to boot up with the 98 disk but he has to use
the disk to start each time. His computer is pretty much down so I am trying
to find answers for him.
--
beckyd
3 answers Last reply

    Does he get an error message if he tries to start without the boot up disk
    ??
    If so what does it say ??

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "beckyd" <beckyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My dad has an older computer with 128 ram and 200megs of memory. I am not
    > sure of the speed. Using land line for internet. Recently he was
    > starting
    > up his computer and the power to the house went out. It appears to have
    > crashed the system. He is able to boot up with the 98 disk but he has to
    > use
    > the disk to start each time. His computer is pretty much down so I am
    > trying
    > to find answers for him.
    > --
    > beckyd

    A UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), as Phillipson said, would be nice.
    Mine lasts a full 20 minutes supposedly & has saved me several times.
    Better answer Hildrum's question. Also, can it boot to Safe Mode? (Hold
    F5 or CTRL as you boot to see.) Can it boot to Command Prompt Only
    (DOS)?

    (a) Boot to DOS. (Hold CTRL as you boot for the Startup Menu, & select
    "Command line Prompt".)

    (b) Scandisk /Checkonly
    Might be wise to know beforehand what it intends to fix. Will
    display on screen & get written to "C:\Scandisk.log".

    (c) Scandisk
    Let it fix, if it didn't sound horrible. Otherwise, post what it
    said.

    In Dos, you may see "C:\Scandisk.log" this way...

    EDIT C:\Scandisk.log
    Alt-F-X (pressed separately) to exit EDIT. (TAB to traverse buttons.)

    Here are lower-level hard drive repair utilities, but they won't repair
    the Windows file system...
    ........Quote.......
    You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
    the computer.

    If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
    limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

    When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
    edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
    then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

    The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
    working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
    extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

    Download and Use Instructions:
    http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

    Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

    OnTrack Data Advisor:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
    IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
    Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
    http://support.wdc.com/download/
    Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
    Seagate SeaTools:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
    Download:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "beckyd" <beckyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | My dad has an older computer with 128 ram and 200megs of memory. I am
    not
    | sure of the speed. Using land line for internet. Recently he was
    starting
    | up his computer and the power to the house went out. It appears to
    have
    | crashed the system. He is able to boot up with the 98 disk but he has
    to use
    | the disk to start each time. His computer is pretty much down so I am
    trying
    | to find answers for him.
    | --
    | beckyd

    "beckyd" <beckyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76E9CB4F-0E42-4F64-888F-A428F47D212F@microsoft.com...
    > My dad has an older computer with 128 ram and 200megs of memory. I am not
    > sure of the speed. Using land line for internet. Recently he was starting
    > up his computer and the power to the house went out. It appears to have
    > crashed the system. He is able to boot up with the 98 disk but he has to use
    > the disk to start each time. His computer is pretty much down so I am trying
    > to find answers for him.

    After booting with the startup disk, does DOS see the hard drive?
    Do a DIR C:\ at the A:\> prompt.

    Does the BIOS recognise the hard drive? Can you see it enumerated on the initial
    POST screen? If it's a major vendor such as Compaq, HP, Dell, etc, and the BIOS
    "logo screen" is in effect, you may have to enter the BIOS setup program to check.

Computers Microsoft Windows