MSCONFIG Startup program tab

How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that appear under
the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe? I want
to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs that can
be turned on/off.
10 answers Last reply
More about msconfig startup program

    PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that appear under
    >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe? I want
    >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs that can
    >be turned on/off.

    Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
    Start menu.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that appear
    under
    > the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
    I want
    > to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
    that can
    > be turned on/off.

    Is your System Resource Meter in your systray? If it is, it should be
    shown in msconfig-startup. Well, mine is.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    > PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
    appear under
    > >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
    I want
    > >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
    that can
    > >be turned on/off.
    >
    > Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
    > Start menu.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
    group in order to get it into the systray.

    You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
    on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
    to me?

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

    Drag/drop with right mouse button or copy/paste the .exe as a shortcut in
    Explorer or MyComputer.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
    > appear under
    >> >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
    > I want
    >> >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
    > that can
    >> >be turned on/off.
    >>
    >> Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
    >> Start menu.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    >
    > Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
    > group in order to get it into the systray.
    >
    > You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
    > on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
    > to me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies.

    "Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
    > appear under
    > > >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
    > I want
    > > >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
    > that can
    > > >be turned on/off.
    > >
    > > Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
    > > Start menu.
    > >

    > Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
    > group in order to get it into the systray.
    >
    > You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
    > on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
    > to me?

    Your method (dragging the .exe file for Resource Meter into the startup folder) is
    *one* of the ways to create the shortcut Ron refers to. When you drag and drop an
    ..exe file in Win98, it creates a shortcut where you dropped it.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    BETTER use the R-Mouse button, as Brian A. said, for ALL Drag/Drop
    activities. This is because it will give choices upon release, not the
    least of which is "Cancel". OTHERWISE, you must memorize a long set of
    rules for what may happen, not to mention the long set of exceptions to
    the rules. Only Glee has successfully managed to do that!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    PSRumbaugh wrote:

    >> I want to add the RSRCMETER.exe to the "Startup Tab" area in the
    >> MSCONFIG utility, NOT the Startup group on the Start Menu.

    Put it where they told you and it *will* be in the "Startup Tab" area in
    MSCONFIG

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    As dadiOH stated, you put a shortcut in the StartUp folder, and then it *will* show
    up in msconfig>startup. The Startup tab of msconfig merely shows what is set to run
    at startup from the startup locations of the Registry, and from the StartUp folders.
    --

    "PSRumbaugh" <PSRumbaugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > "Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > > > appear under
    > > > I want
    > > > that can

    > > > Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
    > > > group in order to get it into the systray.
    > > >
    > > > You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
    > > > on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
    > > > to me?
    > >
    > > Your method (dragging the .exe file for Resource Meter into the startup folder)
    is
    > > *one* of the ways to create the shortcut Ron refers to. When you drag and drop
    an
    > > ..exe file in Win98, it creates a shortcut where you dropped it.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >
    > > I want to add the RSRCMETER.exe to the "Startup Tab" area in the MSCONFIG
    utility, NOT the Startup group on the Start Menu. I tried both left and right mouse
    drags of RSRCMTR.exe into the Startup Tab area of MSCONFIG but it would not accept
    it. The mouse cursor turned into a "NO" cursor, i.e. a circle with a diagonal line
    through it.

    "PSRumbaugh" <PSRumbaugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DEDA192F-BF40-4858-A19D-74A2AEB82A13@microsoft.com...

    > > >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
    > > > appear under
    > > >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
    > > > I want
    > > >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
    > > > that can
    > > >be turned on/off.

    > > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
    > > Start menu.

    <snip>

    >PSRumbaugh" <PSRumbaugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > I want to add the RSRCMETER.exe to the "Startup Tab" area in the MSCONFIG
    > utility, NOT the Startup group on the Start Menu. I tried both left and right mouse
    > drags of RSRCMTR.exe into the Startup Tab area of MSCONFIG but it would
    > not accept it. The mouse cursor turned into a "NO" cursor, i.e. a circle with a
    > diagonal line through it.

    The Startup tab shows programs from three locations; the startup folders, the
    "c:\windows\win.ini" file and the Windows registry. To add Resource Meter to
    the registry, start Notepad, copy or type the following into it and save it to your
    desktop as "RSRCMTR.REG". Double-click the file, then confirm the change.

    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Resource Meter"="C:\\WINDOWS\\RSRCMTR.EXE"
    [end]

    Ben

Configuration Microsoft Msconfig Windows