MSCONFIG Startup program tab

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 14, 2005 2:21:01 PM

How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that appear under
the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe? I want
to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs that can
be turned on/off.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:58:49 PM

PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that appear under
>the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe? I want
>to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs that can
>be turned on/off.

Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
Start menu.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 10:29:50 PM

"PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that appear
under
> the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
I want
> to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
that can
> be turned on/off.

Is your System Resource Meter in your systray? If it is, it should be
shown in msconfig-startup. Well, mine is.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.
May 14, 2005 11:26:49 PM

> PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
appear under
> >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
I want
> >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
that can
> >be turned on/off.
>
> Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
> Start menu.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
group in order to get it into the systray.

You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
to me?

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 11:26:50 PM

Drag/drop with right mouse button or copy/paste the .exe as a shortcut in
Explorer or MyComputer.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
> appear under
>> >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
> I want
>> >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
> that can
>> >be turned on/off.
>>
>> Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
>> Start menu.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
>
> Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
> group in order to get it into the systray.
>
> You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
> on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
> to me?
>
> Thanks,
> Emrys Davies.

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 11:26:50 PM

"Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
> appear under
> > >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
> I want
> > >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
> that can
> > >be turned on/off.
> >
> > Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
> > Start menu.
> >

> Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
> group in order to get it into the systray.
>
> You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
> on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
> to me?

Your method (dragging the .exe file for Resource Meter into the startup folder) is
*one* of the ways to create the shortcut Ron refers to. When you drag and drop an
..exe file in Win98, it creates a shortcut where you dropped it.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

BETTER use the R-Mouse button, as Brian A. said, for ALL Drag/Drop
activities. This is because it will give choices upon release, not the
least of which is "Cancel". OTHERWISE, you must memorize a long set of
rules for what may happen, not to mention the long set of exceptions to
the rules. Only Glee has successfully managed to do that!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > PSRumbagh <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| >
| > >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
| appear under
| > >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility,
MSCONFIG.exe?
| I want
| > >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of
programs
| that can
| > >be turned on/off.
| >
| > Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on
the
| > Start menu.
| >
| > Good luck
| >

| > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
| > --
| > Microsoft MVP
| > On-Line Help Computer Service
| > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
| >
| > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
| > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
|
| Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the
Startup
| group in order to get it into the systray.
|
| You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup
group
| on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is
new
| to me?
|
| Thanks,
| Emrys Davies.

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:02:21 PM

"glee" wrote:

> "Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > appear under
> > I want
> > that can
> > >
> > > Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
> > > Start menu.
> > >

> > Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
> > group in order to get it into the systray.
> >
> > You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
> > on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
> > to me?
>
> Your method (dragging the .exe file for Resource Meter into the startup folder) is
> *one* of the ways to create the shortcut Ron refers to. When you drag and drop an
> ..exe file in Win98, it creates a shortcut where you dropped it.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
> I want to add the RSRCMETER.exe to the "Startup Tab" area in the MSCONFIG utility, NOT the Startup group on the Start Menu. I tried both left and right mouse drags of RSRCMTR.exe into the Startup Tab area of MSCONFIG but it would not accept it. The mouse cursor turned into a "NO" cursor, i.e. a circle with a diagonal line through it.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:23:41 PM

PSRumbaugh wrote:

>> I want to add the RSRCMETER.exe to the "Startup Tab" area in the
>> MSCONFIG utility, NOT the Startup group on the Start Menu.

Put it where they told you and it *will* be in the "Startup Tab" area in
MSCONFIG

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
May 17, 2005 2:52:35 AM

As dadiOH stated, you put a shortcut in the StartUp folder, and then it *will* show
up in msconfig>startup. The Startup tab of msconfig merely shows what is set to run
at startup from the startup locations of the Registry, and from the StartUp folders.
--

"PSRumbaugh" <PSRumbaugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D EDA192F-BF40-4858-A19D-74A2AEB82A13@microsoft.com...

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > "Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > appear under
> > > I want
> > > that can

> > > Ron., I am interested here. I dragged resource meter into the Startup
> > > group in order to get it into the systray.
> > >
> > > You say "Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group
> > > on the Start menu". Would you kindly walk me through that as it is new
> > > to me?
> >
> > Your method (dragging the .exe file for Resource Meter into the startup folder)
is
> > *one* of the ways to create the shortcut Ron refers to. When you drag and drop
an
> > ..exe file in Win98, it creates a shortcut where you dropped it.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >
> > I want to add the RSRCMETER.exe to the "Startup Tab" area in the MSCONFIG
utility, NOT the Startup group on the Start Menu. I tried both left and right mouse
drags of RSRCMTR.exe into the Startup Tab area of MSCONFIG but it would not accept
it. The mouse cursor turned into a "NO" cursor, i.e. a circle with a diagonal line
through it.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:21:29 PM

"PSRumbaugh" <PSRumbaugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D EDA192F-BF40-4858-A19D-74A2AEB82A13@microsoft.com...

> > >How do I add a new program to the list of startup programs that
> > > appear under
> > >the "Startup" tab in the system configuration utility, MSCONFIG.exe?
> > > I want
> > >to add the system resource meter RSRCMTR.exe to the list of programs
> > > that can
> > >be turned on/off.

> > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Put a shortcut to launch resource meter into the Startup group on the
> > Start menu.

<snip>

>PSRumbaugh" <PSRumbaugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I want to add the RSRCMETER.exe to the "Startup Tab" area in the MSCONFIG
> utility, NOT the Startup group on the Start Menu. I tried both left and right mouse
> drags of RSRCMTR.exe into the Startup Tab area of MSCONFIG but it would
> not accept it. The mouse cursor turned into a "NO" cursor, i.e. a circle with a
> diagonal line through it.

The Startup tab shows programs from three locations; the startup folders, the
"c:\windows\win.ini" file and the Windows registry. To add Resource Meter to
the registry, start Notepad, copy or type the following into it and save it to your
desktop as "RSRCMTR.REG". Double-click the file, then confirm the change.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Resource Meter"="C:\\WINDOWS\\RSRCMTR.EXE"
[end]

Ben
!