Mystery Drive

stuart

Hello,

Does anyone know how this could happen.

Overnight a new drive appeared. Its called E drive and has pushed the
existing drives up one letter.

It cant be accessed and its properties are zero size and zero free space.

Do I fdisk / mbr to get rid of this ? (Windows 98 SE )

Scanned for viruses etc, nothing detected.

Does this signify the end of the hard drive maybe ?

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart <sgms2@tpg.com.au> wrote in news:4286e7fb$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how this could happen.
>
> Overnight a new drive appeared. Its called E drive and has pushed the
> existing drives up one letter.
>
> It cant be accessed and its properties are zero size and zero free space.
>
> Do I fdisk / mbr to get rid of this ? (Windows 98 SE )
>
> Scanned for viruses etc, nothing detected.
>
> Does this signify the end of the hard drive maybe ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart

You can use regedit to search for the key 'CurrentDriveLetterAssignment' to
find out which device this letter contains.

Use FDISK to investigate the partitioning on each drive. Note that the
FDISK drive lettering information is just a guess, so don't necessarily
expect to see a drive labelled E. However, FDISK information about the
partitions it can see on each of the drives might give a clue as to why this
one has appeared.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Stuart" <sgms2@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how this could happen.
>
> Overnight a new drive appeared. Its called E drive and has pushed the
> existing drives up one letter.
>
> It cant be accessed and its properties are zero size and zero free space.
>
> Do I fdisk / mbr to get rid of this ? (Windows 98 SE )
>
> Scanned for viruses etc, nothing detected.
>
> Does this signify the end of the hard drive maybe ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart

stuart

Hello Jeff and thanks for your reply,

I've never really liked fdisk much.

It shows C: as partition 2 , and partition 1 as no letter, just type
"EXT DOS "

Its the right size ( I had four drives on this 80 gig ). On exploring
logical drives , etc, it says none .

There was C: then D: , another hardrive, then E: F: and G:.

There is now C and D , an unaccessable E , then F and G. Sadly the
Original G: ( with unbackedup data has gone ) The names on the drives
remain, as in, its called "drive F" but the computer asigns it G:.

Totally confused and annoyed

regards

Stuart

> Hello Jeff and thanks for your reply,
>
> I've never really liked fdisk much.
>
> It shows C: as partition 2 , and partition 1 as no letter, just type
> "EXT DOS "
>
> Its the right size ( I had four drives on this 80 gig ). On exploring
> logical drives , etc, it says none .
>
> There was C: then D: , another hardrive, then E: F: and G:.
>
> There is now C and D , an unaccessable E , then F and G. Sadly the
> Original G: ( with unbackedup data has gone ) The names on the drives
> remain, as in, its called "drive F" but the computer asigns it G:.
>
> Totally confused and annoyed
>
> regards
>
> Stuart
>

> Jeff Richards wrote:
>
> > Use FDISK to investigate the partitioning on each drive. Note that the
> > FDISK drive lettering information is just a guess, so don't necessarily
> > expect to see a drive labelled E. However, FDISK information about the
> > partitions it can see on each of the drives might give a clue as to why this
> > one has appeared.

Don't know why but, if Jeff Richards approves, you could try a Registry restore
to the day before the problem happened.
To do this, boot to the Startup Menu and select Command Prompt Only and then at
the C:\ prompt, type:
scanreg /restore and follow the directions.
Did you install any new software, hardware , or have to do a hard shutdown just
before the problem started?

Windows (or DOS) assigns letters firstly to the primary partition on each
drive, then to each logical drive in each extended partition on each drive.

So C should be the primary partition on the first drive, D the primary
partition on the second drive, and E the first logical drive in the extended
partition on the first drive.

It appears that something has happened to the extended partition on the
first drive. Is this where the original G was?

If so, it's lettering as G suggests that it wasn't a standard DOS/Windows
partition, and you were loading some sort of drive/partition management tool
in order to access it. If this is no longer loading, or if it fails in the
load process, then it wouldn't see the logical drive, but it might see
enough of the partitioning to fool it into assigning a drive letter, even
though there's nothing accessible there.

Does any of that sound likely or reasonable?

While there is data that may be recoverable, it is important that you don't
change the partitioning in any way until you know what the problem is and
what the proper fix is. Don't try FDISK /MBR yet.
--

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message

> Windows (or DOS) assigns letters firstly to the primary partition on each
> drive, then to each logical drive in each extended partition on each
drive.

> So C should be the primary partition on the first drive, D the primary
> partition on the second drive, and E the first logical drive in the
extended
> partition on the first drive.

I think this happens only if both drives have a PRIMARY DOS
partition. If only one partition is Primary DOS that will become
C:\ , others on drive 1 will be D and E, and any partitions on
drive 2 will be logical drive F: G: and so on. The point is that
a Primary DOS partition enables booting from the hard drive:
so a PC with only one operating system needs only one
Primary DOS partition. So long it is Ext DOS, logical D: may
be on the same physical drive as C:
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

So are you suggesting that if a partition or logical drive doesn't exist, it
is not assigned a drive letter?

I think OP will take that as read.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> Windows (or DOS) assigns letters firstly to the primary partition on each
>> drive, then to each logical drive in each extended partition on each
> drive.
>>
>> So C should be the primary partition on the first drive, D the primary
>> partition on the second drive, and E the first logical drive in the
> extended
>> partition on the first drive.
>
> I think this happens only if both drives have a PRIMARY DOS
> partition. If only one partition is Primary DOS that will become
> C:\ , others on drive 1 will be D and E, and any partitions on
> drive 2 will be logical drive F: G: and so on. The point is that
> a Primary DOS partition enables booting from the hard drive:
> so a PC with only one operating system needs only one
> Primary DOS partition. So long it is Ext DOS, logical D: may
> be on the same physical drive as C:
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

stuart

Thanks to all who offered help and information.

I don't know how it happened but I fixed it.

A trial version of Partition Magic found wrong sectors and wrong
allocations and size ( or something like that ) .

It almost automatically fixed thing, realigned the drive lettering and
found the missing partition.

Quite impressive really. And I did nothing !

Thanks again

Stuart

Phew! But, might as well show us what it looks like now...

(1) "START button, Run, MSInfo32". Use the mouse to highlight relevant
info & the Edit menu to copy/post it...

Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6458MB free)
Available space on drive C: 6458MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 6232MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive E: 773MB of 2792MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive F: 7979MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive G: 7786MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive H: 7620MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive I: 6174MB of 6174MB (FAT32)

(2)
(a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
(b) FDISK /Status
(c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
results.

C:\>FDISK /Status
Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
1 19092 8298 57%
C: 7996
E: 2798
2 38169 100% << Full drive
D: 7996 << One partition
F: 7996
G: 7996
H: 7996
I: 6187

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Thanks to all who offered help and information.
|
| I don't know how it happened but I fixed it.
|
| A trial version of Partition Magic found wrong sectors and wrong
| allocations and size ( or something like that ) .
|
| It almost automatically fixed thing, realigned the drive lettering and
| found the missing partition.
|
| Quite impressive really. And I did nothing !
|
| Thanks again
|
| Stuart

stuart

Well PCR,

This is what it looks like -
It doesnt mean much to me except the numbers look about right

Should I look deeper do you think ?

AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
511MB RAM
66% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (11315MB free)
Available space on drive C: 11315MB of 19992MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 1466MB of 4106MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive E: 19345MB of 19345MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive F: 13372MB of 19655MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive G: 14789MB of 19099MB (FAT32)

PCR wrote:
> Phew! But, might as well show us what it looks like now...
>
> (1) "START button, Run, MSInfo32". Use the mouse to highlight relevant
> info & the Edit menu to copy/post it...
>
> Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6458MB free)
> Available space on drive C: 6458MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive D: 6232MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive E: 773MB of 2792MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive F: 7979MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive G: 7786MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive H: 7620MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive I: 6174MB of 6174MB (FAT32)
>
> (2)
> (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
> (b) FDISK /Status
> (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
> results.
>
> C:\>FDISK /Status
> Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
> 1 19092 8298 57%
> C: 7996
> E: 2798
> 2 38169 100% << Full drive
> D: 7996 << One partition
> F: 7996
> G: 7996
> H: 7996
> I: 6187

| > 1 12624 100%

Yours looks good, a lot like mine,-- EXCEPT for that line. How can it be
there is less space on drive 1 by far than the sum of the space used by
it's partitions? You said the drive is 80 GB, which is OK by the
partition sizes, but FDISK is reporting only about 12 GB for the entire
drive. Not sure what to suggest. Sounds like a job for Blanton.

--

| Well PCR,
|
| This is what it looks like -
| It doesnt mean much to me except the numbers look about right
|
| Should I look deeper do you think ?
|
| AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
| 511MB RAM
| 66% system resources free
| Windows-managed swap file on drive C (11315MB free)
| Available space on drive C: 11315MB of 19992MB (FAT32)
| Available space on drive D: 1466MB of 4106MB (FAT32)
| Available space on drive E: 19345MB of 19345MB (FAT32)
| Available space on drive F: 13372MB of 19655MB (FAT32)
| Available space on drive G: 14789MB of 19099MB (FAT32)
|

| > Fixed Disk Drive Status
| > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
| > 1 12624 100%
| > C: 20003
| > E: 19383
| > F: 19666
| > G: 19109
| > 2 4120 100%
| > D: 4120
| >

| > (1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)
| > C:\WINDOWS>
|

| PCR wrote:
| > Phew! But, might as well show us what it looks like now...
| >
| > (1) "START button, Run, MSInfo32". Use the mouse to highlight
relevant
| > info & the Edit menu to copy/post it...
| >
| > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6458MB free)
| > Available space on drive C: 6458MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| > Available space on drive D: 6232MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| > Available space on drive E: 773MB of 2792MB (FAT32)
| > Available space on drive F: 7979MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| > Available space on drive G: 7786MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| > Available space on drive H: 7620MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| > Available space on drive I: 6174MB of 6174MB (FAT32)
| >
| > (2)
| > (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
| > (b) FDISK /Status
| > (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post
the
| > results.
| >
| > C:\>FDISK /Status
| > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
| > 1 19092 8298 57%
| > C: 7996
| > E: 2798
| > 2 38169 100% << Full drive
| > D: 7996 << One partition
| > F: 7996
| > G: 7996
| > H: 7996
| > I: 6187

Here is how he might start you off...

.........Quote Blanton............
In addition to what Gary suggested, get this program from
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/partinfo.zip
Unzip it and copy partinfo.exe to the boot floppy.

Boot with the floppy and at the A:\> prompt enter

partinfo > partinfo.txt

This will map out your partition records and boot sectors, and will also
check
for a drive overlay. Copy/paste partinfo.txt to a reply.
.........EOQ.........................

--
| | > 1 12624 100%
|
| Yours looks good, a lot like mine,-- EXCEPT for that line. How can it
be
| there is less space on drive 1 by far than the sum of the space used
by
| it's partitions? You said the drive is 80 GB, which is OK by the
| partition sizes, but FDISK is reporting only about 12 GB for the
entire
| drive. Not sure what to suggest. Sounds like a job for Blanton.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Stuart" <sgms2@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
| |
| |
| | Well PCR,
| |
| | This is what it looks like -
| | It doesnt mean much to me except the numbers look about right
| |
| | Should I look deeper do you think ?
| |
| | AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
| | 511MB RAM
| | 66% system resources free
| | Windows-managed swap file on drive C (11315MB free)
| | Available space on drive C: 11315MB of 19992MB (FAT32)
| | Available space on drive D: 1466MB of 4106MB (FAT32)
| | Available space on drive E: 19345MB of 19345MB (FAT32)
| | Available space on drive F: 13372MB of 19655MB (FAT32)
| | Available space on drive G: 14789MB of 19099MB (FAT32)
| |

| | > Fixed Disk Drive Status
| | > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
| | > 1 12624 100%
| | > C: 20003
| | > E: 19383
| | > F: 19666
| | > G: 19109
| | > 2 4120 100%
| | > D: 4120
| | >

| | > (1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)
| | > C:\WINDOWS>
| |
| |
| | PCR wrote:
| | > Phew! But, might as well show us what it looks like now...
| | >
| | > (1) "START button, Run, MSInfo32". Use the mouse to highlight
| relevant
| | > info & the Edit menu to copy/post it...
| | >
| | > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6458MB free)
| | > Available space on drive C: 6458MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| | > Available space on drive D: 6232MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| | > Available space on drive E: 773MB of 2792MB (FAT32)
| | > Available space on drive F: 7979MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| | > Available space on drive G: 7786MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| | > Available space on drive H: 7620MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
| | > Available space on drive I: 6174MB of 6174MB (FAT32)
| | >
| | > (2)
| | > (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
| | > (b) FDISK /Status
| | > (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post
| the
| | > results.
| | >
| | > C:\>FDISK /Status
| | > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
| | > 1 19092 8298 57%
| | > C: 7996
| | > E: 2798
| | > 2 38169 100% << Full drive
| | > D: 7996 << One
partition
| | > F: 7996
| | > G: 7996
| | > H: 7996
| | > I: 6187

| |

stuart

Gee this is getting complicated.

I though twhen I got a mouse I could forget all those DOS things.

I'll paste the results below. Its far too much for me to understand
however.

Again, thanks for your input and guidance

Copy/paste partinfo.txt to a reply.
> ........EOQ.........................

Partition Information Program
Sep 16 2002 - DOS32 Version
Copyright (c) 1994-2002, PowerQuest Corporation
Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
as it is not modified in any way. All other rights are reserved.

PowerQuest, makers of PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm) and
DriveCopy(tm), can be reached at
Voice: 801-226-6834 Web site: http://www.powerquest.com/support/
Fax: 801-226-8941 Email: help@powerquest.com
BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
EGeo 0x0002 16383 16 63 160086528 0 512

Disk 0: 9964 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track.

BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
The BIOS supports INT 13h extensions for this drive.

============================ Partition Tables ==============================

Partition -----Begin---- ------End----- Start Num

Sector # Boot Cyl Head Sect FS Cyl Head Sect Sect Sects

---------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- ---------- ----------

0 0 80 [ 0 1 1] 0C [1023 254 63] 63
40965687 [Large Drive Placeholders]

0 1 1 2549 254 63
Actual Values

0 1 00 [1023 254 63] 0F [1023 254 63] 40965750
119105910 [Large Drive Placeholders]

2550 0 1 9963 254 63
Actual Values

40965750 0 00 [1023 254 63] 0B [1023 254 63] 40965813
39696552 [Large Drive Placeholders]

2550 1 1 5020 254 63
Actual Values

40965750 1 00 [1023 254 63] 05 [1023 254 63] 80662365
40274955 [Large Drive Placeholders]

5021 0 1 7527 254 63
Actual Values

80662365 0 00 [1023 254 63] 0B [1023 254 63] 80662428
40274892 [Large Drive Placeholders]

5021 1 1 7527 254 63
Actual Values

80662365 1 00 [1023 254 63] 05 [1023 254 63] 120937320
39134340 [Large Drive Placeholders]

7528 0 1 9963 254 63
Actual Values

120937320 0 00 [1023 254 63] 0B [1023 254 63] 120937383
39134277 [Large Drive Placeholders]

7528 1 1 9963 254 63
Actual Values

BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
EGeo 0x0002 8940 15 63 8448300 0 512

Disk 1: 558 Cylinders, 240 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track.

BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
The BIOS supports INT 13h extensions for this drive.

============================ Partition Tables ==============================

Partition -----Begin---- ------End----- Start Num

Sector # Boot Cyl Head Sect FS Cyl Head Sect Sect Sects

---------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- ---------- ----------

0 0 80 0 1 1 0B 557 239 63 63

Disk 0: 78160.0 Megabytes

============================= Partition Information
==============================

Volume Partition Partition Start
Total

Letter:Label Type Status Size MB Sector # Sector
Sectors

------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ----------
----------

C:NO NAME FAT32X Pri,Boot 20002.8 0 0 63
40965687

ExtendedX Pri 58157.2 0 1 40965750
119105910

EPBR Log 19383.1 None - 40965750
39696615

E:DRIVE_E FAT32 Log 19383.1 40965750 0 40965813
39696552

EPBR Log 19665.5 40965750 1 80662365
40274955

F:DRIVE_F FAT32 Log 19665.5 80662365 0 80662428
40274892

EPBR Log 19108.6 80662365 1 120937320
39134340

G:DRIVE_G FAT32 Log 19108.5 120937320 0 120937383

Disk 1: 4119.6 Megabytes

============================= Partition Information
==============================

Volume Partition Partition Start
Total

Letter:Label Type Status Size MB Sector # Sector
Sectors

------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ----------
----------

D:NO NAME FAT32 Pri,Boot 4119.6 0 0 63

Boot Sector for drive C: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 63, Type: FAT32

1. Jump: EB 58 90

2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1

3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

4. Sectors Per Cluster: 32

5. Reserved Sectors: 32

6. Number of FAT's: 2

7. Reserved: 0x0000

8. Reserved: 0x0000

9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)

13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)

14. Big Total Sectors: 40965687 (0x2711637)

15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9997

16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

17. FS Version: 0

18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

19. FS Info Sector: 1

20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

22. Drive ID: 0x80

23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

25. Serial Number: 0x211C17EF

26. Volume Name: NO NAME

27. File System Type: FAT32

28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

Boot Sector for drive E: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 40965813, Type: FAT32

1. Jump: EB 5A 90

2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1

3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

4. Sectors Per Cluster: 8

5. Reserved Sectors: 32

6. Number of FAT's: 2

7. Reserved: 0x0000

8. Reserved: 0x0000

9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)

13. Hidden Sectors: 40965813 (0x27116B5)

14. Big Total Sectors: 39696552 (0x25DB8A8)

15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 38691

16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

17. FS Version: 0

18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

19. FS Info Sector: 1

20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

22. Drive ID: 0x80

23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

25. Serial Number: 0x16F81921

26. Volume Name: DRIVE_E

27. File System Type: FAT32

28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

Boot Sector for drive F: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 80662428, Type: FAT32

1. Jump: EB 58 90

2. OEM Name: mkdosfs

3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

4. Sectors Per Cluster: 32

5. Reserved Sectors: 32

6. Number of FAT's: 2

7. Reserved: 0x0000

8. Reserved: 0x0000

9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)

13. Hidden Sectors: 80662428 (0x4CECF9C)

14. Big Total Sectors: 40274892 (0x2668BCC)

15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9828

16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

17. FS Version: 0

18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

19. FS Info Sector: 1

20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

22. Drive ID: 0x80

23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

25. Serial Number: 0x3FE6C766

26. Volume Name: DRIVE_F

27. File System Type: FAT32

28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

Boot Sector for drive G: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 120937383, Type: FAT32

1. Jump: EB 5A 90

2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1

3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

4. Sectors Per Cluster: 32

5. Reserved Sectors: 32

6. Number of FAT's: 2

7. Reserved: 0x0000

8. Reserved: 0x0000

9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)

13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)

14. Big Total Sectors: 39134276 (0x2552444)

15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9550

16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

17. FS Version: 0

18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

19. FS Info Sector: 1

20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

22. Drive ID: 0x80

23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

25. Serial Number: 0x16DE2149

26. Volume Name: DRIVE_G

27. File System Type: FAT32

28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

Boot Sector for drive D: Drive 2, Starting Sector: 63, Type: FAT32

1. Jump: EB 58 90

2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1

3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

4. Sectors Per Cluster: 8

5. Reserved Sectors: 32

6. Number of FAT's: 2

7. Reserved: 0x0000

8. Reserved: 0x0000

9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

12. Number of Heads: 240 (0xF0)

13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)

14. Big Total Sectors: 8436897 (0x80BCA1)

15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 8213

16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

17. FS Version: 0

18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

19. FS Info Sector: 1

20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

22. Drive ID: 0x80

23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

25. Serial Number: 0x0B1315F7

26. Volume Name: NO NAME

27. File System Type: FAT32

28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

Uhuh. That seems about right to me. Get the better FDISK, Stuart, as
Partinfo by Richards' analysis looks just fine, reporting all 80 GB.

--

====

==============================

==============================

==========

| Disk 0: 78160.0 Megabytes
|
| ============================= Partition Information
| ==============================
|
| Volume Partition Partition Start
| Total
|
| Letter:Label Type Status Size MB Sector #
Sector
| Sectors
|
| ------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ---------
-
| ----------
|
| C:NO NAME FAT32X Pri,Boot 20002.8 0 0
63
| 40965687
|
| ExtendedX Pri 58157.2 0 1
40965750
| 119105910
|
| EPBR Log 19383.1 None -
40965750
| 39696615
|
| E:DRIVE_E FAT32 Log 19383.1 40965750 0
40965813
| 39696552
|
| EPBR Log 19665.5 40965750 1
80662365
| 40274955
|
| F:DRIVE_F FAT32 Log 19665.5 80662365 0
80662428
| 40274892
|
| EPBR Log 19108.6 80662365 1
120937320

==========

> [...]
|
| 5. Reserved Sectors: 32
|
| 6. Number of FAT's: 2
|
| 7. Reserved: 0x0000
|
| 8. Reserved: 0x0000
|
| 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
|
| 10. Sectors Per FAT: 0
|
| 11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)
|
| 12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
|
| 13. Hidden Sectors: 80662428 (0x4CECF9C)
|
| 14. Big Total Sectors: 40274892 (0x2668BCC)
|
| 15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9828
|
| 16. Extended Flags: 0x0000
|
| 17. FS Version: 0
|
| 18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)
|
| 19. FS Info Sector: 1
|
| 20. Backup Boot Sector: 6
|
| 21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
|
| 22. Drive ID: 0x80
|
| 23. Reserved for NT: 0x00
|
| 24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29
|
| 25. Serial Number: 0x3FE6C766
|
| 26. Volume Name: DRIVE_F
|
| 27. File System Type: FAT32
|
| 28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

| Boot Sector for drive G: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 120937383, Type:
FAT32

| 1. Jump: EB 5A 90
|
| 2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1
|
| 3. Bytes Per Sector: 512
|
| 4. Sectors Per Cluster: 32
|
| 5. Reserved Sectors: 32
|
| 6. Number of FAT's: 2
|
| 7. Reserved: 0x0000
|
| 8. Reserved: 0x0000
|
| 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
|
| 10. Sectors Per FAT: 0
|
| 11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)
|
| 12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
|
| 13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
|
| 14. Big Total Sectors: 39134276 (0x2552444)
|
| 15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9550
|
| 16. Extended Flags: 0x0000
|
| 17. FS Version: 0
|
| 18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)
|
| 19. FS Info Sector: 1
|
| 20. Backup Boot Sector: 6
|
| 21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
|
| 22. Drive ID: 0x80
|
| 23. Reserved for NT: 0x00
|
| 24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29
|
| 25. Serial Number: 0x16DE2149
|
| 26. Volume Name: DRIVE_G
|
| 27. File System Type: FAT32
|
| 28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

| Boot Sector for drive D: Drive 2, Starting Sector: 63, Type: FAT32

| 1. Jump: EB 58 90
|
| 2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1
|
| 3. Bytes Per Sector: 512
|
| 4. Sectors Per Cluster: 8
|
| 5. Reserved Sectors: 32
|
| 6. Number of FAT's: 2
|
| 7. Reserved: 0x0000
|
| 8. Reserved: 0x0000
|
| 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
|
| 10. Sectors Per FAT: 0
|
| 11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)
|
| 12. Number of Heads: 240 (0xF0)
|
| 13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
|
| 14. Big Total Sectors: 8436897 (0x80BCA1)
|
| 15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 8213
|
| 16. Extended Flags: 0x0000
|
| 17. FS Version: 0
|
| 18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)
|
| 19. FS Info Sector: 1
|
| 20. Backup Boot Sector: 6
|
| 21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Perhaps your version of FDISK is not up to date. See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044
Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB

Otherwise, it's the same information. This is the important bit:

Disk 0: 78160.0 Megabytes
============================= Partition Information
C:NO NAME FAT32X 20,002.8
Extended 58157.2 which contains:
E:DRIVE_E FAT32 19,383.1
F:DRIVE_F FAT32 19,665.5
G:DRIVE_G FAT32 19,108.5

Disk 1: 4119.6 Megabytes
============================= Partition Information
D:NO NAME FAT32 4119.6
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Stuart" <sgms2@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> Gee this is getting complicated.

You are welcome.

--
| Thanks for all your help

Hi Stuart
I read your post and I was wondering if you by mistake didn't click on the
hardrive duplicator. Because I once click it and it duplicated my hardrive
and wrote a new "harddrive" letter too, but when I tried to erase it, the
fdisk cleaned my all drive. So be carefull.
Luis Ramos