Mystery Drive

Hello,

Does anyone know how this could happen.

Overnight a new drive appeared. Its called E drive and has pushed the
existing drives up one letter.

It cant be accessed and its properties are zero size and zero free space.

Do I fdisk / mbr to get rid of this ? (Windows 98 SE )

Scanned for viruses etc, nothing detected.

Does this signify the end of the hard drive maybe ?

Thanks

Stuart
18 answers Last reply
More about mystery drive

    Stuart <sgms2@tpg.com.au> wrote in news:4286e7fb$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know how this could happen.
    >
    > Overnight a new drive appeared. Its called E drive and has pushed the
    > existing drives up one letter.
    >
    > It cant be accessed and its properties are zero size and zero free space.
    >
    > Do I fdisk / mbr to get rid of this ? (Windows 98 SE )
    >
    > Scanned for viruses etc, nothing detected.
    >
    > Does this signify the end of the hard drive maybe ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart

    You can use regedit to search for the key 'CurrentDriveLetterAssignment' to
    find out which device this letter contains.

    Use FDISK to investigate the partitioning on each drive. Note that the
    FDISK drive lettering information is just a guess, so don't necessarily
    expect to see a drive labelled E. However, FDISK information about the
    partitions it can see on each of the drives might give a clue as to why this
    one has appeared.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Stuart" <sgms2@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know how this could happen.
    >
    > Overnight a new drive appeared. Its called E drive and has pushed the
    > existing drives up one letter.
    >
    > It cant be accessed and its properties are zero size and zero free space.
    >
    > Do I fdisk / mbr to get rid of this ? (Windows 98 SE )
    >
    > Scanned for viruses etc, nothing detected.
    >
    > Does this signify the end of the hard drive maybe ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart

    Hello Jeff and thanks for your reply,

    I've never really liked fdisk much.

    It shows C: as partition 2 , and partition 1 as no letter, just type
    "EXT DOS "

    Its the right size ( I had four drives on this 80 gig ). On exploring
    logical drives , etc, it says none .

    There was C: then D: , another hardrive, then E: F: and G:.

    There is now C and D , an unaccessable E , then F and G. Sadly the
    Original G: ( with unbackedup data has gone ) The names on the drives
    remain, as in, its called "drive F" but the computer asigns it G:.

    Totally confused and annoyed

    regards

    Stuart

    > Hello Jeff and thanks for your reply,
    >
    > I've never really liked fdisk much.
    >
    > It shows C: as partition 2 , and partition 1 as no letter, just type
    > "EXT DOS "
    >
    > Its the right size ( I had four drives on this 80 gig ). On exploring
    > logical drives , etc, it says none .
    >
    > There was C: then D: , another hardrive, then E: F: and G:.
    >
    > There is now C and D , an unaccessable E , then F and G. Sadly the
    > Original G: ( with unbackedup data has gone ) The names on the drives
    > remain, as in, its called "drive F" but the computer asigns it G:.
    >
    > Totally confused and annoyed
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Stuart
    >

    > Jeff Richards wrote:
    >
    > > Use FDISK to investigate the partitioning on each drive. Note that the
    > > FDISK drive lettering information is just a guess, so don't necessarily
    > > expect to see a drive labelled E. However, FDISK information about the
    > > partitions it can see on each of the drives might give a clue as to why this
    > > one has appeared.

    Don't know why but, if Jeff Richards approves, you could try a Registry restore
    to the day before the problem happened.
    To do this, boot to the Startup Menu and select Command Prompt Only and then at
    the C:\ prompt, type:
    scanreg /restore and follow the directions.
    Did you install any new software, hardware , or have to do a hard shutdown just
    before the problem started?

    Windows (or DOS) assigns letters firstly to the primary partition on each
    drive, then to each logical drive in each extended partition on each drive.

    So C should be the primary partition on the first drive, D the primary
    partition on the second drive, and E the first logical drive in the extended
    partition on the first drive.

    It appears that something has happened to the extended partition on the
    first drive. Is this where the original G was?

    If so, it's lettering as G suggests that it wasn't a standard DOS/Windows
    partition, and you were loading some sort of drive/partition management tool
    in order to access it. If this is no longer loading, or if it fails in the
    load process, then it wouldn't see the logical drive, but it might see
    enough of the partitioning to fool it into assigning a drive letter, even
    though there's nothing accessible there.

    Does any of that sound likely or reasonable?

    While there is data that may be recoverable, it is important that you don't
    change the partitioning in any way until you know what the problem is and
    what the proper fix is. Don't try FDISK /MBR yet.
    --

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message

    > Windows (or DOS) assigns letters firstly to the primary partition on each
    > drive, then to each logical drive in each extended partition on each
    drive.

    > So C should be the primary partition on the first drive, D the primary
    > partition on the second drive, and E the first logical drive in the
    extended
    > partition on the first drive.

    I think this happens only if both drives have a PRIMARY DOS
    partition. If only one partition is Primary DOS that will become
    C:\ , others on drive 1 will be D and E, and any partitions on
    drive 2 will be logical drive F: G: and so on. The point is that
    a Primary DOS partition enables booting from the hard drive:
    so a PC with only one operating system needs only one
    Primary DOS partition. So long it is Ext DOS, logical D: may
    be on the same physical drive as C:
    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    So are you suggesting that if a partition or logical drive doesn't exist, it
    is not assigned a drive letter?

    I think OP will take that as read.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    >
    >> Windows (or DOS) assigns letters firstly to the primary partition on each
    >> drive, then to each logical drive in each extended partition on each
    > drive.
    >>
    >> So C should be the primary partition on the first drive, D the primary
    >> partition on the second drive, and E the first logical drive in the
    > extended
    >> partition on the first drive.
    >
    > I think this happens only if both drives have a PRIMARY DOS
    > partition. If only one partition is Primary DOS that will become
    > C:\ , others on drive 1 will be D and E, and any partitions on
    > drive 2 will be logical drive F: G: and so on. The point is that
    > a Primary DOS partition enables booting from the hard drive:
    > so a PC with only one operating system needs only one
    > Primary DOS partition. So long it is Ext DOS, logical D: may
    > be on the same physical drive as C:
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    Thanks to all who offered help and information.

    I don't know how it happened but I fixed it.

    A trial version of Partition Magic found wrong sectors and wrong
    allocations and size ( or something like that ) .

    It almost automatically fixed thing, realigned the drive lettering and
    found the missing partition.

    Quite impressive really. And I did nothing !

    Thanks again

    Stuart

    Phew! But, might as well show us what it looks like now...

    (1) "START button, Run, MSInfo32". Use the mouse to highlight relevant
    info & the Edit menu to copy/post it...

    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6458MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 6458MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive D: 6232MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive E: 773MB of 2792MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive F: 7979MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive G: 7786MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive H: 7620MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive I: 6174MB of 6174MB (FAT32)

    (2)
    (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
    (b) FDISK /Status
    (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
    results.

    C:\>FDISK /Status
    Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    1 19092 8298 57%
    C: 7996
    E: 2798
    2 38169 100% << Full drive
    D: 7996 << One partition
    F: 7996
    G: 7996
    H: 7996
    I: 6187

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Thanks to all who offered help and information.
    |
    | I don't know how it happened but I fixed it.
    |
    | A trial version of Partition Magic found wrong sectors and wrong
    | allocations and size ( or something like that ) .
    |
    | It almost automatically fixed thing, realigned the drive lettering and
    | found the missing partition.
    |
    | Quite impressive really. And I did nothing !
    |
    | Thanks again
    |
    | Stuart

    Well PCR,

    This is what it looks like -
    It doesnt mean much to me except the numbers look about right

    Should I look deeper do you think ?

    AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
    511MB RAM
    66% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (11315MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 11315MB of 19992MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive D: 1466MB of 4106MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive E: 19345MB of 19345MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive F: 13372MB of 19655MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive G: 14789MB of 19099MB (FAT32)

    PCR wrote:
    > Phew! But, might as well show us what it looks like now...
    >
    > (1) "START button, Run, MSInfo32". Use the mouse to highlight relevant
    > info & the Edit menu to copy/post it...
    >
    > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6458MB free)
    > Available space on drive C: 6458MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    > Available space on drive D: 6232MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    > Available space on drive E: 773MB of 2792MB (FAT32)
    > Available space on drive F: 7979MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    > Available space on drive G: 7786MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    > Available space on drive H: 7620MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    > Available space on drive I: 6174MB of 6174MB (FAT32)
    >
    > (2)
    > (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
    > (b) FDISK /Status
    > (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
    > results.
    >
    > C:\>FDISK /Status
    > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    > 1 19092 8298 57%
    > C: 7996
    > E: 2798
    > 2 38169 100% << Full drive
    > D: 7996 << One partition
    > F: 7996
    > G: 7996
    > H: 7996
    > I: 6187

    | > 1 12624 100%

    Yours looks good, a lot like mine,-- EXCEPT for that line. How can it be
    there is less space on drive 1 by far than the sum of the space used by
    it's partitions? You said the drive is 80 GB, which is OK by the
    partition sizes, but FDISK is reporting only about 12 GB for the entire
    drive. Not sure what to suggest. Sounds like a job for Blanton.

    --

    | Well PCR,
    |
    | This is what it looks like -
    | It doesnt mean much to me except the numbers look about right
    |
    | Should I look deeper do you think ?
    |
    | AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
    | 511MB RAM
    | 66% system resources free
    | Windows-managed swap file on drive C (11315MB free)
    | Available space on drive C: 11315MB of 19992MB (FAT32)
    | Available space on drive D: 1466MB of 4106MB (FAT32)
    | Available space on drive E: 19345MB of 19345MB (FAT32)
    | Available space on drive F: 13372MB of 19655MB (FAT32)
    | Available space on drive G: 14789MB of 19099MB (FAT32)
    |

    | > Fixed Disk Drive Status
    | > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    | > 1 12624 100%
    | > C: 20003
    | > E: 19383
    | > F: 19666
    | > G: 19109
    | > 2 4120 100%
    | > D: 4120
    | >

    | > (1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)
    | > C:\WINDOWS>
    |

    | PCR wrote:
    | > Phew! But, might as well show us what it looks like now...
    | >
    | > (1) "START button, Run, MSInfo32". Use the mouse to highlight
    relevant
    | > info & the Edit menu to copy/post it...
    | >
    | > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6458MB free)
    | > Available space on drive C: 6458MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | > Available space on drive D: 6232MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | > Available space on drive E: 773MB of 2792MB (FAT32)
    | > Available space on drive F: 7979MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | > Available space on drive G: 7786MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | > Available space on drive H: 7620MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | > Available space on drive I: 6174MB of 6174MB (FAT32)
    | >
    | > (2)
    | > (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
    | > (b) FDISK /Status
    | > (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post
    the
    | > results.
    | >
    | > C:\>FDISK /Status
    | > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    | > 1 19092 8298 57%
    | > C: 7996
    | > E: 2798
    | > 2 38169 100% << Full drive
    | > D: 7996 << One partition
    | > F: 7996
    | > G: 7996
    | > H: 7996
    | > I: 6187

    Here is how he might start you off...

    .........Quote Blanton............
    In addition to what Gary suggested, get this program from
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/partinfo.zip
    Unzip it and copy partinfo.exe to the boot floppy.

    Boot with the floppy and at the A:\> prompt enter

    partinfo > partinfo.txt

    This will map out your partition records and boot sectors, and will also
    check
    for a drive overlay. Copy/paste partinfo.txt to a reply.
    .........EOQ.........................

    --
    | | > 1 12624 100%
    |
    | Yours looks good, a lot like mine,-- EXCEPT for that line. How can it
    be
    | there is less space on drive 1 by far than the sum of the space used
    by
    | it's partitions? You said the drive is 80 GB, which is OK by the
    | partition sizes, but FDISK is reporting only about 12 GB for the
    entire
    | drive. Not sure what to suggest. Sounds like a job for Blanton.
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Stuart" <sgms2@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
    | |
    | |
    | | Well PCR,
    | |
    | | This is what it looks like -
    | | It doesnt mean much to me except the numbers look about right
    | |
    | | Should I look deeper do you think ?
    | |
    | | AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
    | | 511MB RAM
    | | 66% system resources free
    | | Windows-managed swap file on drive C (11315MB free)
    | | Available space on drive C: 11315MB of 19992MB (FAT32)
    | | Available space on drive D: 1466MB of 4106MB (FAT32)
    | | Available space on drive E: 19345MB of 19345MB (FAT32)
    | | Available space on drive F: 13372MB of 19655MB (FAT32)
    | | Available space on drive G: 14789MB of 19099MB (FAT32)
    | |

    | | > Fixed Disk Drive Status
    | | > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    | | > 1 12624 100%
    | | > C: 20003
    | | > E: 19383
    | | > F: 19666
    | | > G: 19109
    | | > 2 4120 100%
    | | > D: 4120
    | | >

    | | > (1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)
    | | > C:\WINDOWS>
    | |
    | |
    | | PCR wrote:
    | | > Phew! But, might as well show us what it looks like now...
    | | >
    | | > (1) "START button, Run, MSInfo32". Use the mouse to highlight
    | relevant
    | | > info & the Edit menu to copy/post it...
    | | >
    | | > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6458MB free)
    | | > Available space on drive C: 6458MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | | > Available space on drive D: 6232MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | | > Available space on drive E: 773MB of 2792MB (FAT32)
    | | > Available space on drive F: 7979MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | | > Available space on drive G: 7786MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | | > Available space on drive H: 7620MB of 7979MB (FAT32)
    | | > Available space on drive I: 6174MB of 6174MB (FAT32)
    | | >
    | | > (2)
    | | > (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
    | | > (b) FDISK /Status
    | | > (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post
    | the
    | | > results.
    | | >
    | | > C:\>FDISK /Status
    | | > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    | | > 1 19092 8298 57%
    | | > C: 7996
    | | > E: 2798
    | | > 2 38169 100% << Full drive
    | | > D: 7996 << One
    partition
    | | > F: 7996
    | | > G: 7996
    | | > H: 7996
    | | > I: 6187

    | |

    Gee this is getting complicated.

    I though twhen I got a mouse I could forget all those DOS things.

    I'll paste the results below. Its far too much for me to understand
    however.

    Again, thanks for your input and guidance

    Copy/paste partinfo.txt to a reply.
    > ........EOQ.........................

    Partition Information Program
    Sep 16 2002 - DOS32 Version
    Copyright (c) 1994-2002, PowerQuest Corporation
    Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
    as it is not modified in any way. All other rights are reserved.

    PowerQuest, makers of PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm) and
    DriveCopy(tm), can be reached at
    Voice: 801-226-6834 Web site: http://www.powerquest.com/support/
    Fax: 801-226-8941 Email: help@powerquest.com
    BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
    EGeo 0x0002 16383 16 63 160086528 0 512

    Disk 0: 9964 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track.

    BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
    The BIOS supports INT 13h extensions for this drive.

    ============================ Partition Tables ==============================

    Partition -----Begin---- ------End----- Start Num

    Sector # Boot Cyl Head Sect FS Cyl Head Sect Sect Sects

    ---------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- ---------- ----------

    0 0 80 [ 0 1 1] 0C [1023 254 63] 63
    40965687 [Large Drive Placeholders]

    0 1 1 2549 254 63
    Actual Values

    0 1 00 [1023 254 63] 0F [1023 254 63] 40965750
    119105910 [Large Drive Placeholders]

    2550 0 1 9963 254 63
    Actual Values

    40965750 0 00 [1023 254 63] 0B [1023 254 63] 40965813
    39696552 [Large Drive Placeholders]

    2550 1 1 5020 254 63
    Actual Values

    40965750 1 00 [1023 254 63] 05 [1023 254 63] 80662365
    40274955 [Large Drive Placeholders]

    5021 0 1 7527 254 63
    Actual Values

    80662365 0 00 [1023 254 63] 0B [1023 254 63] 80662428
    40274892 [Large Drive Placeholders]

    5021 1 1 7527 254 63
    Actual Values

    80662365 1 00 [1023 254 63] 05 [1023 254 63] 120937320
    39134340 [Large Drive Placeholders]

    7528 0 1 9963 254 63
    Actual Values

    120937320 0 00 [1023 254 63] 0B [1023 254 63] 120937383
    39134277 [Large Drive Placeholders]

    7528 1 1 9963 254 63
    Actual Values

    BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
    EGeo 0x0002 8940 15 63 8448300 0 512

    Disk 1: 558 Cylinders, 240 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track.

    BiosExtensions: 0x2100 Subsets (0x00000005): Access EDD
    The BIOS supports INT 13h extensions for this drive.

    ============================ Partition Tables ==============================

    Partition -----Begin---- ------End----- Start Num

    Sector # Boot Cyl Head Sect FS Cyl Head Sect Sect Sects

    ---------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- ---------- ----------

    0 0 80 0 1 1 0B 557 239 63 63
    8436897

    Disk 0: 78160.0 Megabytes

    ============================= Partition Information
    ==============================

    Volume Partition Partition Start
    Total

    Letter:Label Type Status Size MB Sector # Sector
    Sectors

    ------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ----------
    ----------

    C:NO NAME FAT32X Pri,Boot 20002.8 0 0 63
    40965687

    ExtendedX Pri 58157.2 0 1 40965750
    119105910

    EPBR Log 19383.1 None - 40965750
    39696615

    E:DRIVE_E FAT32 Log 19383.1 40965750 0 40965813
    39696552

    EPBR Log 19665.5 40965750 1 80662365
    40274955

    F:DRIVE_F FAT32 Log 19665.5 80662365 0 80662428
    40274892

    EPBR Log 19108.6 80662365 1 120937320
    39134340

    G:DRIVE_G FAT32 Log 19108.5 120937320 0 120937383
    39134277

    Disk 1: 4119.6 Megabytes

    ============================= Partition Information
    ==============================

    Volume Partition Partition Start
    Total

    Letter:Label Type Status Size MB Sector # Sector
    Sectors

    ------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ----------
    ----------

    D:NO NAME FAT32 Pri,Boot 4119.6 0 0 63
    8436897

    Boot Sector for drive C: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 63, Type: FAT32

    1. Jump: EB 58 90

    2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1

    3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

    4. Sectors Per Cluster: 32

    5. Reserved Sectors: 32

    6. Number of FAT's: 2

    7. Reserved: 0x0000

    8. Reserved: 0x0000

    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

    10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

    11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

    12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)

    13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)

    14. Big Total Sectors: 40965687 (0x2711637)

    15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9997

    16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

    17. FS Version: 0

    18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

    19. FS Info Sector: 1

    20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

    21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    22. Drive ID: 0x80

    23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

    24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

    25. Serial Number: 0x211C17EF

    26. Volume Name: NO NAME

    27. File System Type: FAT32

    28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    Boot Sector for drive E: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 40965813, Type: FAT32

    1. Jump: EB 5A 90

    2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1

    3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

    4. Sectors Per Cluster: 8

    5. Reserved Sectors: 32

    6. Number of FAT's: 2

    7. Reserved: 0x0000

    8. Reserved: 0x0000

    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

    10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

    11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

    12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)

    13. Hidden Sectors: 40965813 (0x27116B5)

    14. Big Total Sectors: 39696552 (0x25DB8A8)

    15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 38691

    16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

    17. FS Version: 0

    18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

    19. FS Info Sector: 1

    20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

    21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    22. Drive ID: 0x80

    23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

    24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

    25. Serial Number: 0x16F81921

    26. Volume Name: DRIVE_E

    27. File System Type: FAT32

    28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    Boot Sector for drive F: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 80662428, Type: FAT32

    1. Jump: EB 58 90

    2. OEM Name: mkdosfs

    3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

    4. Sectors Per Cluster: 32

    5. Reserved Sectors: 32

    6. Number of FAT's: 2

    7. Reserved: 0x0000

    8. Reserved: 0x0000

    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

    10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

    11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

    12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)

    13. Hidden Sectors: 80662428 (0x4CECF9C)

    14. Big Total Sectors: 40274892 (0x2668BCC)

    15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9828

    16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

    17. FS Version: 0

    18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

    19. FS Info Sector: 1

    20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

    21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    22. Drive ID: 0x80

    23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

    24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

    25. Serial Number: 0x3FE6C766

    26. Volume Name: DRIVE_F

    27. File System Type: FAT32

    28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    Boot Sector for drive G: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 120937383, Type: FAT32

    1. Jump: EB 5A 90

    2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1

    3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

    4. Sectors Per Cluster: 32

    5. Reserved Sectors: 32

    6. Number of FAT's: 2

    7. Reserved: 0x0000

    8. Reserved: 0x0000

    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

    10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

    11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

    12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)

    13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)

    14. Big Total Sectors: 39134276 (0x2552444)

    15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9550

    16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

    17. FS Version: 0

    18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

    19. FS Info Sector: 1

    20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

    21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    22. Drive ID: 0x80

    23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

    24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

    25. Serial Number: 0x16DE2149

    26. Volume Name: DRIVE_G

    27. File System Type: FAT32

    28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    Boot Sector for drive D: Drive 2, Starting Sector: 63, Type: FAT32

    1. Jump: EB 58 90

    2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1

    3. Bytes Per Sector: 512

    4. Sectors Per Cluster: 8

    5. Reserved Sectors: 32

    6. Number of FAT's: 2

    7. Reserved: 0x0000

    8. Reserved: 0x0000

    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8

    10. Sectors Per FAT: 0

    11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)

    12. Number of Heads: 240 (0xF0)

    13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)

    14. Big Total Sectors: 8436897 (0x80BCA1)

    15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 8213

    16. Extended Flags: 0x0000

    17. FS Version: 0

    18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)

    19. FS Info Sector: 1

    20. Backup Boot Sector: 6

    21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    22. Drive ID: 0x80

    23. Reserved for NT: 0x00

    24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29

    25. Serial Number: 0x0B1315F7

    26. Volume Name: NO NAME

    27. File System Type: FAT32

    28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    Uhuh. That seems about right to me. Get the better FDISK, Stuart, as
    Partinfo by Richards' analysis looks just fine, reporting all 80 GB.

    --

    ====

    ==============================

    ==============================

    ==========

    | Disk 0: 78160.0 Megabytes
    |
    | ============================= Partition Information
    | ==============================
    |
    | Volume Partition Partition Start
    | Total
    |
    | Letter:Label Type Status Size MB Sector #
    Sector
    | Sectors
    |
    | ------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ---------
    -
    | ----------
    |
    | C:NO NAME FAT32X Pri,Boot 20002.8 0 0
    63
    | 40965687
    |
    | ExtendedX Pri 58157.2 0 1
    40965750
    | 119105910
    |
    | EPBR Log 19383.1 None -
    40965750
    | 39696615
    |
    | E:DRIVE_E FAT32 Log 19383.1 40965750 0
    40965813
    | 39696552
    |
    | EPBR Log 19665.5 40965750 1
    80662365
    | 40274955
    |
    | F:DRIVE_F FAT32 Log 19665.5 80662365 0
    80662428
    | 40274892
    |
    | EPBR Log 19108.6 80662365 1
    120937320

    ==========

> [...]
    |
    | 5. Reserved Sectors: 32
    |
    | 6. Number of FAT's: 2
    |
    | 7. Reserved: 0x0000
    |
    | 8. Reserved: 0x0000
    |
    | 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    |
    | 10. Sectors Per FAT: 0
    |
    | 11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    |
    | 12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    |
    | 13. Hidden Sectors: 80662428 (0x4CECF9C)
    |
    | 14. Big Total Sectors: 40274892 (0x2668BCC)
    |
    | 15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9828
    |
    | 16. Extended Flags: 0x0000
    |
    | 17. FS Version: 0
    |
    | 18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)
    |
    | 19. FS Info Sector: 1
    |
    | 20. Backup Boot Sector: 6
    |
    | 21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    |
    | 22. Drive ID: 0x80
    |
    | 23. Reserved for NT: 0x00
    |
    | 24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29
    |
    | 25. Serial Number: 0x3FE6C766
    |
    | 26. Volume Name: DRIVE_F
    |
    | 27. File System Type: FAT32
    |
    | 28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    | Boot Sector for drive G: Drive 1, Starting Sector: 120937383, Type:
    FAT32

    | 1. Jump: EB 5A 90
    |
    | 2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1
    |
    | 3. Bytes Per Sector: 512
    |
    | 4. Sectors Per Cluster: 32
    |
    | 5. Reserved Sectors: 32
    |
    | 6. Number of FAT's: 2
    |
    | 7. Reserved: 0x0000
    |
    | 8. Reserved: 0x0000
    |
    | 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    |
    | 10. Sectors Per FAT: 0
    |
    | 11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    |
    | 12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    |
    | 13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    |
    | 14. Big Total Sectors: 39134276 (0x2552444)
    |
    | 15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 9550
    |
    | 16. Extended Flags: 0x0000
    |
    | 17. FS Version: 0
    |
    | 18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)
    |
    | 19. FS Info Sector: 1
    |
    | 20. Backup Boot Sector: 6
    |
    | 21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    |
    | 22. Drive ID: 0x80
    |
    | 23. Reserved for NT: 0x00
    |
    | 24. Extended Boot Sig: 0x29
    |
    | 25. Serial Number: 0x16DE2149
    |
    | 26. Volume Name: DRIVE_G
    |
    | 27. File System Type: FAT32
    |
    | 28. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    | Boot Sector for drive D: Drive 2, Starting Sector: 63, Type: FAT32

    | 1. Jump: EB 58 90
    |
    | 2. OEM Name: MSWIN4.1
    |
    | 3. Bytes Per Sector: 512
    |
    | 4. Sectors Per Cluster: 8
    |
    | 5. Reserved Sectors: 32
    |
    | 6. Number of FAT's: 2
    |
    | 7. Reserved: 0x0000
    |
    | 8. Reserved: 0x0000
    |
    | 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    |
    | 10. Sectors Per FAT: 0
    |
    | 11. Sectors Per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    |
    | 12. Number of Heads: 240 (0xF0)
    |
    | 13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    |
    | 14. Big Total Sectors: 8436897 (0x80BCA1)
    |
    | 15. Big Sectors Per FAT: 8213
    |
    | 16. Extended Flags: 0x0000
    |
    | 17. FS Version: 0
    |
    | 18. First Cluster of Root: 2 (0x2)
    |
    | 19. FS Info Sector: 1
    |
    | 20. Backup Boot Sector: 6
    |
    | 21. Reserved: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    Perhaps your version of FDISK is not up to date. See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044
    Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB

    Otherwise, it's the same information. This is the important bit:

    Disk 0: 78160.0 Megabytes
    ============================= Partition Information
    C:NO NAME FAT32X 20,002.8
    Extended 58157.2 which contains:
    E:DRIVE_E FAT32 19,383.1
    F:DRIVE_F FAT32 19,665.5
    G:DRIVE_G FAT32 19,108.5

    Disk 1: 4119.6 Megabytes
    ============================= Partition Information
    D:NO NAME FAT32 4119.6
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Stuart" <sgms2@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

    > Gee this is getting complicated.

    Thanks for all your help

    You are welcome.

    --
    | Thanks for all your help

    Hi Stuart
    I read your post and I was wondering if you by mistake didn't click on the
    hardrive duplicator. Because I once click it and it duplicated my hardrive
    and wrote a new "harddrive" letter too, but when I tried to erase it, the
    fdisk cleaned my all drive. So be carefull.
    Luis Ramos

    "Stuart" wrote:

    > Thanks for all your help

Microsoft Windows