ADSL questions

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 15, 2005 10:32:24 PM

Hi all,
Just got ADSL broadband with Bigpond with their 'special offer' ? Still have my old dial-up which they say I can keep for 3 months I think. Do I have to cancel with Bigpong or is it just a matter of removing dial-up in control panel? Have already unplugged old modem from computer.
Don't know about the 'blistering connection speeds' but is a lot faster. As I couldn't find a hole for the Ethernet cable,(which they recommend) went with the USB. Ethernet involves taking off the case and dabbling in the mechanics of it all doesn't it? Wasn't game enough to try that, after reading about jumpers and static hazards.
Do I have to be permanently online, or can I disconnect when needed? I've tried turning off modem, but to get online again, have to reboot. With dial-up I just connected through a short cut to dial-up in control panel, could I do something similar with ADSL Broadband?
Thanks for any info.
Have posted to adsl groups, but no joy :o (
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
--

Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz

More about : adsl questions

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 10:32:25 PM

Pebble wrote:

>Just got ADSL broadband with Bigpond with their 'special offer' ? Still have
>my old dial-up which they say I can keep for 3 months I think. Do I have to
>cancel with Bigpong or is it just a matter of removing dial-up in control
>panel?

Dunno. I don't think they are going on to charge you if you don't use it, but
you better ask your provider that questions.

>As I couldn't find a
>hole for the Ethernet cable,(which they recommend) went with the USB.

USB can be a hazzle with Windows 98 since it occasionally refuses to detect
devices that are plugged, especially if there's more than one USB device.
I'd also recommend Ethernet - if it's available, that is.

>Ethernet involves taking off the case and dabbling in the mechanics of it all
>doesn't it?

How do you come to that idea?
Your computer seems to be a bit older, so I don't think you have an on-board
Ethernet - as common today.
So if there's no possibility to plug in your cable you don't have an Ethernet
card either. You first would have to buy one and then, finally, you would have
to open your computer to install it, yes.

>Do I have to be permanently online, or can I disconnect when
>needed? I've tried turning off modem, but to get online again, have to
>reboot.

That could likely be because of Win98, as mentioned above. Apart from that, ask
your provider. There's no general way to disable the connection. You could try
unplugging the cable :-)
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 10:32:25 PM

Just to add to what Zhagrasa has already stated, regarding disconnecting the DSL
connection.....you *should* be able to do that, but you should not try to by turning
off the modem. In my limited experience with ADSL, through Bell South at my place
of employment, we were able to disconnect and reconnect the same way we did with
dial-up. The ADSL connection should have an icon in Dial-Up Networking, and you can
drag it to the desktop as a shortcut. When you connect online (it may do so
automatically when you start the computer), there should be an icon showing your
connection in the tray by the clock on your taskbar. If not, you can enter the
Dial-Up connection properties and enable the option to show the icon when connected,
just as with dial-up. You can then right-click that icon when connected, and select
Disconnect, to get off-line. Use the shortcut to the DUN connectoid that you
created on the desktop to reconnect when desired.
If that does not work, contact the ISP for instructions, as their software may
require added steps.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
[...]

One more addition to the others. I don't know if it will but this should work
to get the modem working again without having to reboot. I have an old scanner
that is supposed to be turned on before booting in order to use it. I actually
turn it on when I want to use it and use F5 in DM to activate it.

Open Device Manager and press F5. What it does is a refresh of the devices,
basically it looks for any hardware changes

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

Thanks guys,
Thanks Zhagrasa, guess I might just have to pull the USB plug if it comes to that! Never had problems with USB devices not being detected, well I have, with a webcam, but it was operator error on my part.
No Glee, don't have an icon in dial-up networking that I can connect or disconnect with, just 'make new connection' which gives the options of MSP3880W 56k modem, or Microsoft VPN Adaptor. No mention of my device which is speedstream ethernet USB Adaptor. My router/modem? is a Siemens 4200 speedstream.
I do as you Brian with my scanner, just load the drivers when I need to use it.
I thought maybe using hardware profiles in Device manager, a separate one that loads drivers for the ADSL device so when computer is turned on get the option of online or offline - or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
--

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message news:o YWox#YWFHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> One more addition to the others. I don't know if it will but this should work
> to get the modem working again without having to reboot. I have an old scanner
> that is supposed to be turned on before booting in order to use it. I actually
> turn it on when I want to use it and use F5 in DM to activate it.
>
> Open Device Manager and press F5. What it does is a refresh of the devices,
> basically it looks for any hardware changes
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:12:14 PM

I've never used hw profiles and if your ISP mentions that you're always
connected with no way not to be other than pulling the cable or disabling the
device, it wouldn't make a difference.

--

Thanks guys,
Thanks Zhagrasa, guess I might just have to pull the USB plug if it comes to
that! Never had problems with USB devices not being detected, well I have, with
a webcam, but it was operator error on my part.
No Glee, don't have an icon in dial-up networking that I can connect or
disconnect with, just 'make new connection' which gives the options of MSP3880W
56k modem, or Microsoft VPN Adaptor. No mention of my device which is
speedstream ethernet USB Adaptor. My router/modem? is a Siemens 4200
speedstream.
I do as you Brian with my scanner, just load the drivers when I need to use it.
I thought maybe using hardware profiles in Device manager, a separate one that
loads drivers for the ADSL device so when computer is turned on get the option
of online or offline - or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
--

Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz
RAM: 64MB
Video Memory: 8MB (VooDoo 3 2000)
Hard Disk: 20GB
Operating System: Windows '98 SE
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o YWox#YWFHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> One more addition to the others. I don't know if it will but this should work
> to get the modem working again without having to reboot. I have an old scanner
> that is supposed to be turned on before booting in order to use it. I actually
> turn it on when I want to use it and use F5 in DM to activate it.
>
> Open Device Manager and press F5. What it does is a refresh of the devices,
> basically it looks for any hardware changes
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 10:38:23 PM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o YWox#YWFHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> One more addition to the others. I don't know if it will but this should
work
> to get the modem working again without having to reboot. I have an old
scanner
> that is supposed to be turned on before booting in order to use it. I
actually
> turn it on when I want to use it and use F5 in DM to activate it.
>
> Open Device Manager and press F5. What it does is a refresh of the
devices,
> basically it looks for any hardware changes
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }

Brian, does the refresh, (F5), clear the junk from the registry on this
occasion.
Regards,
D.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 10:38:24 PM

"Dave D" <DRD@INVALIDdavedownton.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 6alnc$hb9$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

> Brian, does the refresh, (F5), clear the junk from the registry on this
> occasion.
> Regards,
> D.

Not that I'm aware of or have ever seen.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:20:25 AM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o LSiAQlWFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "Dave D" <DRD@INVALIDdavedownton.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 6alnc$hb9$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >>
> > Brian, does the refresh, (F5), clear the junk from the registry on this
> > occasion.
> > Regards,
> > D.
>

> Not that I'm aware of or have ever seen.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm