Using Windows script to paste or insert text into a new e-..

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.word.vba.general (More info?)

Steve Yandl showed me how to set up an htm file with Windows script
inside it that would in one step insert selected text, the url, and the
title of a Web page into a Word document. This is a fantastic
capability.

Now I have another question. Can Windows script insert selected text
(whether from a web page or from Word) directly into a new e-mail? I
prefer to copy and paste the text, not insert it as a string, because
I'd like to keep any character formatting.

I use Outlook Express 6, IE6, Word 97, and Windows 98.

I'm sending this to both the vba group and the Windows group because the
question concerns both platforms.

Thanks,
Larry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.word.vba.general (More info?)

Why not include the OE6 newsgroup? (I have.)

Copy/Pasting Word's formatting into OE(6) is fraught with incompatiblity,
Larry.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Larry wrote:
> Steve Yandl showed me how to set up an htm file with Windows script
> inside it that would in one step insert selected text, the url, and the
> title of a Web page into a Word document. This is a fantastic
> capability.
>
> Now I have another question. Can Windows script insert selected text
> (whether from a web page or from Word) directly into a new e-mail? I
> prefer to copy and paste the text, not insert it as a string, because
> I'd like to keep any character formatting.
>
> I use Outlook Express 6, IE6, Word 97, and Windows 98.
>
> I'm sending this to both the vba group and the Windows group because the
> question concerns both platforms.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.word.vba.general (More info?)

The format of text you see in OE is not what others see unless their configured
for the same.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> Steve Yandl showed me how to set up an htm file with Windows script
> inside it that would in one step insert selected text, the url, and the
> title of a Web page into a Word document. This is a fantastic
> capability.
>
> Now I have another question. Can Windows script insert selected text
> (whether from a web page or from Word) directly into a new e-mail? I
> prefer to copy and paste the text, not insert it as a string, because
> I'd like to keep any character formatting.
>
> I use Outlook Express 6, IE6, Word 97, and Windows 98.
>
> I'm sending this to both the vba group and the Windows group because the
> question concerns both platforms.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.word.vba.general (More info?)

PA Bear,

Thanks for the cross posting.

The Word-OE relationship is not a problem, I copy text from Word into OE
all the time. I just want to automate it more.

One thing I want to do is run a Windows script from IE that inserts the
title, url and selected text from a web page directly into a new e-mail.

Another thing I do is, I copy a web page, then run a Word document that
pastes that selection into Word and does a bunch of formatting on it and
copies it, and then opens an e-mail. I then manually move the focus
from the To line to the client area and paste. I'd like those last two
steps to be automated, so that the clipboard contents get automatically
pasted into the e-mail and the whole operation gets done in one step.

Larry

formats the
> Why not include the OE6 newsgroup? (I have.)
>
> Copy/Pasting Word's formatting into OE(6) is fraught with
incompatiblity,
> Larry.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> Larry wrote:
> > Steve Yandl showed me how to set up an htm file with Windows script
> > inside it that would in one step insert selected text, the url, and
the
> > title of a Web page into a Word document. This is a fantastic
> > capability.
> >
> > Now I have another question. Can Windows script insert selected
text
> > (whether from a web page or from Word) directly into a new e-mail?
> > prefer to copy and paste the text, not insert it as a string,
because
> > I'd like to keep any character formatting.
> >
> > I use Outlook Express 6, IE6, Word 97, and Windows 98.
> >
> > I'm sending this to both the vba group and the Windows group because
the
> > question concerns both platforms.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Larry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.word.vba.general (More info?)

Larry,

Normally, I'd suggest CDO but I'm guessing that with Word 97 and Windows 98,
that isn't available to you. Moreover, I suspect that you still want to
enter recipients from your contacts list and enter things like subject line
which can kind of crimp the advantages of scripting email.

One option might be to modify the script we worked on to do a SelectAll and
a copy operation from the Word document after the new entries are typed and
then launch msimn.exe which would allow you to enter address and subject
info and just do a Ctrl plus V to paste the clipboard contents into your new
OE message. Not total automation but gives you a lot of control and
prevents errors.

Steve Yandl

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> Steve Yandl showed me how to set up an htm file with Windows script
> inside it that would in one step insert selected text, the url, and the
> title of a Web page into a Word document. This is a fantastic
> capability.
>
> Now I have another question. Can Windows script insert selected text
> (whether from a web page or from Word) directly into a new e-mail? I
> prefer to copy and paste the text, not insert it as a string, because
> I'd like to keep any character formatting.
>
> I use Outlook Express 6, IE6, Word 97, and Windows 98.
>
> I'm sending this to both the vba group and the Windows group because the
> question concerns both platforms.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.word.vba.general (More info?)

Steve,

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do.

Larry

Steve Yandl wrote:
> Larry,
>
> Normally, I'd suggest CDO but I'm guessing that with Word 97 and
> Windows 98, that isn't available to you. Moreover, I suspect that
> you still want to enter recipients from your contacts list and enter
> things like subject line which can kind of crimp the advantages of
> scripting email.
>
> One option might be to modify the script we worked on to do a
> SelectAll and a copy operation from the Word document after the new
> entries are typed and then launch msimn.exe which would allow you to
> enter address and subject info and just do a Ctrl plus V to paste the
> clipboard contents into your new OE message. Not total automation
> but gives you a lot of control and prevents errors.
>
> Steve Yandl
>

> "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> > Steve Yandl showed me how to set up an htm file with Windows script
> > inside it that would in one step insert selected text, the url, and
> > the title of a Web page into a Word document. This is a fantastic
> > capability.
> >
> > Now I have another question. Can Windows script insert selected
> > text (whether from a web page or from Word) directly into a new
> > e-mail? I prefer to copy and paste the text, not insert it as a
> > string, because I'd like to keep any character formatting.
> >
> > I use Outlook Express 6, IE6, Word 97, and Windows 98.
> >
> > I'm sending this to both the vba group and the Windows group
> > because the question concerns both platforms.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Larry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.word.vba.general (More info?)

You can't work directly with OE. You are actually working with MAPI. See,
for instance:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239576
INFO: Developer Support Limitations with Outlook Express

Also:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=268440
INFO: MAPI Is Not Suitable for HTML Messages

More extensive discussion here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dnaraskdr/html/askgui04152003.asp
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> Steve Yandl showed me how to set up an htm file with Windows script
> inside it that would in one step insert selected text, the url, and the
> title of a Web page into a Word document. This is a fantastic
> capability.
>
> Now I have another question. Can Windows script insert selected text
> (whether from a web page or from Word) directly into a new e-mail? I
> prefer to copy and paste the text, not insert it as a string, because
> I'd like to keep any character formatting.
>
> I use Outlook Express 6, IE6, Word 97, and Windows 98.
>
> I'm sending this to both the vba group and the Windows group because the
> question concerns both platforms.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.word.vba.general (More info?)

The material is beyond my level, and even if it is possible to do this,
it's not worth the research and effort for the small amount of increased
automation I'm seeking.

Thanks for the references.

Larry