Upgrading Windows 98 to XP - partition?

I am trying to install XP (2002 version) on a laptop that currently has
Windows 98.

My hard drive is currently partition. When installing XP, if I leave the
current partition the way it is, XP is on a separate drive from 98. How do I
bridge it so that XP can access all programs and documents previously
installed on the same drive as 98?

I'm hesitant to over-write anything as some programs are custom installed,
non-windows programs that I doubt I would be able to upload again.

Any suggestions for a super-novice like me?

THANKS,
~judie

Philo

"~judie" <~judie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install XP (2002 version) on a laptop that currently has
> Windows 98.
>
> My hard drive is currently partition. When installing XP, if I leave the
> current partition the way it is, XP is on a separate drive from 98. How do
> bridge it so that XP can access all programs and documents previously
> installed on the same drive as 98?
>
> I'm hesitant to over-write anything as some programs are custom installed,
> non-windows programs that I doubt I would be able to upload again.

Installing XP on it's own , seperate partition is generally advised. You
will be able to access all *data* on your win98 drive...but you will *not*
be able to run the apps unless they are reinstalled
on your XP drive.
the only way to keep the apps would be to upgrade your win98 installation to
XP...
although it can work ok...there is always the possibility of failure.
so it's best to properly prep your win98 and also do a full backup first!

The first thing you should be doing is checking with the laptop manufacturer
to see if the laptop will run OK with XP and whether or not there are XP
drivers for your hardware.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98