I fixed my video card!!!! (pardon the excitement)

yeah, chunked my nVidia that was slowly deteriating and got me an ATI
card. nVidia will never see any pennies from me again...

I had been a long and die-hard nVidia fan for years. Seemed that ATI
cards were the "Macintosh" of the PC video boards. Their (ATI) products
are/have improved a lot. I got a Radeon 9550 and it works just like it
should.

This is the 2nd time an nVidia card has gone out on me like this.
There's nothing more frustrating than thinking you have something wrong
with something else when it turns out that IT'S the problem itself! I
mean.....crimony......

2992
11 answers Last reply
More about fixed video card pardon excitement

    I just changed my nvidia fx5200 (128mb) (OLD) card to a radeon 9800 pro
    (128mb)(NOT SO OLD). Just got a replacement today due to a faulty fan so
    will install tonight. Until it broke it was a huge improvement to the
    fx5200 card. I ,like probably many people, had a misconception that
    graphics cards abilities were based solely on the amount of on-board memory.
    Now I can go up a screen resolution, put real weather on at higher setting
    and run fraps and still get higher fps than before.

    Ibby

    "Ibby (The Artist Formally Known as Chris)" <chris@mwapartnership.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:dc58pi$28v$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    >I just changed my nvidia fx5200 (128mb) (OLD) card to a radeon 9800 pro
    >(128mb)(NOT SO OLD). Just got a replacement today due to a faulty fan so
    >will install tonight. Until it broke it was a huge improvement to the
    >fx5200 card. I ,like probably many people, had a misconception that
    >graphics cards abilities were based solely on the amount of on-board
    >memory. Now I can go up a screen resolution, put real weather on at higher
    >setting and run fraps and still get higher fps than before.

    Even Nvidia will admit that the FX5200 was one of their worst cards. In fact
    the low price will tell you that! I've always used Nvidia and not had any
    problems. Don't forget that what is loosely referred to as an Nvidia card is
    made by a third party using Nvidia chipsets and there is a wide variation in
    the quality of those third parties! :0))

    Iain

    > Even Nvidia will admit that the FX5200 was one of their worst cards. In
    > fact

    oh dear...guess what card I've got Iain I have no frame rate probs to speak
    of though. Only cost NZ$220 which I spose is 75 British quid. Only trouble
    is with several of my aircraft the sound breaks into a distorted mess now
    and again. Sometimes I can fix it by hitting Q on and off (5.1
    Soundblaster is that another problem card?)
    Don

    I need help. I just installed the ATI Radeon 9250 and it looks good but all
    of my Icons shifted over to the left of the visual screen and I have to go
    fish for the Icons. I can't even run the install for the Radeon drivers
    cause the install screen is all the way off to the left. Is there any way
    besides changing the display so I can get everything back center of the
    screen?

    Also, I started FS9 and it is also all the way off to the left. I have
    tried changing all the properties and displays from true to high and even
    then everything is still off to the left.

    Thank you in advance.

    Mark G
    Not4wood

    "Not4wood" <no_spam_mgottes@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I need help. I just installed the ATI Radeon 9250 and it looks good but
    >all of my Icons shifted over to the left of the visual screen and I have to
    >go fish for the Icons. I can't even run the install for the Radeon drivers
    >cause the install screen is all the way off to the left. Is there any way
    >besides changing the display so I can get everything back center of the
    >screen?
    >
    > Also, I started FS9 and it is also all the way off to the left. I have
    > tried changing all the properties and displays from true to high and even
    > then everything is still off to the left.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Mark G
    > Not4wood

    Try using the adjustment buttons on the front of your monitor to centre the
    screen ( and thereby regain all of your icons)

    Ross

    "Not4wood"
    > Duhh. Very nice catch 22. I tried changing the display options from one
    > level to the next higher and then lower.

    Level..?

    I seem to recall changes in resolution could push my stuff off the screen.

    Have you tried to Control Panel, Display, Settings Tab, then set the Screen
    resolution to as high as it will go?

    Dallas

    As high??? I only tried moving the resolution two notches up then I went as
    low as I could. I didn't think of making it as high, anything that will
    make it work.

    Thank you, I'll give it a go.

    Mark G
    Not4wood

    > "Not4wood"
    >> Duhh. Very nice catch 22. I tried changing the display options from one
    >> level to the next higher and then lower.
    >
    > Level..?
    >
    > I seem to recall changes in resolution could push my stuff off the screen.
    >
    > Have you tried to Control Panel, Display, Settings Tab, then set the
    > Screen
    > resolution to as high as it will go?
    >
    > Dallas

    I agree that changing your screen resolution waaay up might bring the icons
    back, but what I wanted to say is that there is a dll available that allows
    you to save your icon layout and restore their positions if necessary. All
    you do is right click on any system icon (recycle bin,My Computer etc)
    Its called Icon restore .This is one site I found from Google
    http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

    It is a very handy little item

    Bryan

    > As high??? I only tried moving the resolution two notches up then I went
    > as low as I could. I didn't think of making it as high, anything that
    > will make it work.
    >
    > Thank you, I'll give it a go.
    >
    > Mark G
    > Not4wood
    >
    > "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Not4wood"
    >>> Duhh. Very nice catch 22. I tried changing the display options from
    >>> one
    >>> level to the next higher and then lower.
    >>
    >> Level..?
    >>
    >> I seem to recall changes in resolution could push my stuff off the
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> Have you tried to Control Panel, Display, Settings Tab, then set the
    >> Screen
    >> resolution to as high as it will go?
    >>
    >> Dallas

    Thanks to all for the ideas. I went to HP on the net and they said to
    un-install the video card from the Bios. My problem is the video card is
    not there. I am going to try to go into control panel and see if I can do
    it from there.

    Also, the only thing that the Bios does have is a listing of how much memory
    the video card uses. I will up it to what the new video card is. I also
    downloaded a new driver and control from ATI Radeon and hopefully the new
    install will cover my problem. My HP has a shared video card, which means
    to me on simple terms that the Ram is being used from the puter to help the
    Video Card. By me installing a faster, more video Ram it will leave the
    puter ram alone. IE faster computer and better graphics. Hopefully if I
    can get this damn thing to take.

    Thanks again.

    Mark G
    Not4wood

    Not4wood wrote:

    > Also, the only thing that the Bios does have is a listing of how much memory
    > the video card uses. I will up it to what the new video card is.

    The memory here is shared memory. If you install a new card with it's
    own memory you can free up what ever you had it set for before. Set
    video memory to zero in bios.

    Mike

    Can't, I tried that. The only choices I have is 8 or 512? Curious, because
    256mb which is the most common video ram is not listed. Neither is a big 0.

    The only other choice I have is that the AGP or PCI. Its on PCI so I can't
    change anything else.

    Right now, its running and FS9 looks good. I have all the sliders up and I
    turned on more depth for the clouds and I'm still getting about 12-20 frames
    per second.

    Question: Water textures have always been turned off. Now it looks like
    wing fodder LOL. Anybody have any recommendations for water textures??

    Thanx for everyones help. Works good now.

    Mark G
    Not4wood

    "mike wheelock" <wheels2@twmi.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Not4wood wrote:
    >

    >> Also, the only thing that the Bios does have is a listing of how much
    >> memory the video card uses. I will up it to what the new video card is.
    >
    > The memory here is shared memory. If you install a new card with it's own
    > memory you can free up what ever you had it set for before. Set video
    > memory to zero in bios.
    >
    > Mike

Graphics Cards Nvidia Video Games