Defragment stops at 10%

My father-in-law is still running 98 and when he attempts to defragment hard
drive it reaches 10% and then locksup system. I stopped all running programs
I could for him but problem still exists. Any help would be appreciated.

noname

try it in safe mode.
1- Restart the computer 2-keep on pressing F8 repetedly during startup 3-
select start in safe mode 4- defragment.

My father-in-law is still running 98 and when he attempts to defragment hard
drive it reaches 10% and then locksup system. I stopped all running programs
I could for him but problem still exists. Any help would be appreciated.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:28:03 GMT, "ashraf zakaria via WindowsKB.com"
<forum@WindowsKB.com> wrote:

>My father-in-law is still running 98 and when he attempts to defragment hard
>drive it reaches 10% and then locksup system. I stopped all running programs
>I could for him but problem still exists. Any help would be appreciated.

In Defrag settings do not select the option to arrange programs so
they start faster. That feature means very little and really slows
down the defrag and it causes the process to appear to hang while it
is arranging files.

Try Defrag from Safe Mode and be sure to disable the screensaver.

Get the 32 bit ME Defrag, it is much faster:
http://aroundcny.com/Technofile/texts/Defrag.zip
Put it in the windows folder, rename the old one.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/