windows 98 SE and not enough memory

I have a self built computer with 320 megs of ram that is running windows 98
Second edition. The computer usually is running microsoft excel, a few dos
applications and the microsoft card file appliation (for client contact info
such as a name, address, phone number, etc.). Anyways with all of these
applications open, the computer runs very slow and the system does not
respond at all well.

If I close or switch from microsoft excel to my dos applications that are
open (usually two of them at a time) the screen disappears a piece at a time.

I have used the defrag program on all of the drives that this appears to
improve the performance of the system for a period of time.

The other day, I had one of my two dos applications open and I tried to
defrag the hard drive like I usually do (I realize that I should close down
all applications when defraging, but I needed to do a quick defrag) and the
defrag process could not be completed as I was told I did not have enough
memory to complete this task. I only had the one dos application open and
the defrag was waiting to go.

In case it makes a difference, I am using a 19 gig hard drive that is
partitioned into three parts (two 8 gig partitions and one 2 gig partition).
Thus I have a c, d and e drive. I am using an ATI AGP video card (ati xpert
98 video card set to 2X for the AGP setting).

What can I do to solve this problem? I have heard that a hard drive that is
using 8kb clusters for a hard drive that is 19 gigs or more, can cause memory
problems, but the partitions are setup so that they are configured to use 8kb
clusters. If I try and set the drive back to a single partition and then use
say 32kb clusters, would this help?

The one problem I fear about this approach is that the system may not
support a c drive that is greater than 8 to 10 gigs, as I have had a problem
setting up a system that had a large hard drive in it running windows 98
(standard editon, not second edition) and on that machine, I could not use
partition magic to move the c drive beyond the 8 gig limit, even though I had
lots of free space that would move the drive past the 8 gig limit, as
partition magic said that windows 98 that I was using at the time limits the
hard drive space for your c drive.

If anyone can suggest what else I can do to solve this lact of memory, I
would appreciate it.

Edward Letendre.

The exact message would have helped--maybe this was the message:

W95/98 Error Message: DEFRAG009 Computer Does Not Have Enough Free Memory
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q229/1/54.asp

If the partitions are under 8 gb, the cluster size should be set at 4 kb.
--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Edward Letendre" <EdwardLetendre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F1F17A19-31B1-4E2D-B5E0-EDBB96C8694C@microsoft.com...
> [...]

>all applications when defraging, but I needed to do a quick defrag) and the
>defrag process could not be completed as I was told I did not have enough
>memory to complete this task. I only had the one dos application open and
>the defrag was waiting to go.
>
>In case it makes a difference, I am using a 19 gig hard drive that is
>partitioned into three parts (two 8 gig partitions and one 2 gig partition).
>Thus I have a c, d and e drive. I am using an ATI AGP video card (ati xpert
>98 video card set to 2X for the AGP setting).
>
>What can I do to solve this problem? I have heard that a hard drive that is
>using 8kb clusters for a hard drive that is 19 gigs or more, can cause memory
>problems, but the partitions are setup so that they are configured to use 8kb
>clusters. If I try and set the drive back to a single partition and then use

No. Not in the slightest. 32K clusters would result in increased
slack space (= wasted space) of at least 12kb per file, and that is
all. 8K clusters will not cause any problems with Scandisk or Defrag
on partitions up to 32 gb in size. The critical factor is having more
than 4.1 million total clusters in a partition.

> The one problem I fear about this approach is that the system may not
>support a c drive that is greater than 8 to 10 gigs, as I have had a problem
>setting up a system that had a large hard drive in it running windows 98
>(standard editon, not second edition) and on that machine, I could not use
>partition magic to move the c drive beyond the 8 gig limit, even though I had
>lots of free space that would move the drive past the 8 gig limit, as
>partition magic said that windows 98 that I was using at the time limits the
>hard drive space for your c drive.
>
>If anyone can suggest what else I can do to solve this lact of memory, I
>would appreciate it.
>
>Edward Letendre.

What makes you think that this problem is due to a lack of memory? Is
there some error message that says so? If so then please provide the
complete *verbatim* text of any and all such error messages.

I suspect that your problems may be more related to System Resources
than to anything involving RAM or the data structure of your hard
drive. When these problems occur either launch the Windows 98
Resource Meter utility (in Accessories - System Tools) or open Control
Panel - System - Performance and make note of the current information
regarding free system resources. Post that data back here, plus any
error message information you might have.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

With that amount of RAM the machine should not be running slow. What speed
processor are you using? What applications are starting automatically and
running in the background? What anti-virus are you using, and is it set up
to monitor file changes?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)