I don't understand color profiles for my Epson 2200

I just setup an Epson 2200, and now I want to get the most out of this
printer. I know that it's important to use a color profile to match
what is seen on the monitor with what one gets when the print comes out
of the printer.

I've tried to research this, and I just get more confused. Can anyone
here point me to a "basic color profile 101" page that explains HOW
color profiles are done and what they accomplish?

Second, I'm looking for a cost effective way to get started with color
profiles. The printer was a gift, I couldn't have afforded it
otherwise, and I'm not going to be able to spend hundreds or thousands
on color profile software. Are there any "generic epson 2200 color
profiles" available for free, or low cost?

Third, are there any good forums specifically for Epson 2200 users?

Thanks!

jc
3 answers Last reply
More about understand color profiles epson 2200

    Go to the Epson site and sign up for the Epson Print Academy. It is a series
    of on-line demonstrations on how to set up color management with Photoshop
    and Epson printers. It also has excellent demos on basic Photoshop
    functions. You need a hi speed internet connection however.

    Well, first of all, color management is not fun and you are not alone.

    Secondly, your printer does come with a bunch of profiles, and they are
    pretty good, as long as you use the ink and paper from Epson.

    Thirdly, some paper manufacturers will provide profiles for free when
    you buy their paper, and some are available free from individuals who
    have worked them out using profilers.

    There are a number of Yahoo groups that deal with Epson printers and are
    quite active, but I am not sure if there are any dedicated to only the
    2200 that are very active. Epson_Printers is for all Epson inkjet
    models, but it has many knowledgeable people on it.

    to get via email: EPSON_Printers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    Art

    On 10 Feb 2005 19:24:23 -0800, jcdill@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I just setup an Epson 2200, and now I want to get the most out of this
    >printer. I know that it's important to use a color profile to match
    >what is seen on the monitor with what one gets when the print comes out
    >of the printer.
    >
    >I've tried to research this, and I just get more confused. Can anyone
    >here point me to a "basic color profile 101" page that explains HOW
    >color profiles are done and what they accomplish?

    Ain't no such animal.Best thing you can do is what bmoag suggested.

    >Second, I'm looking for a cost effective way to get started with color
    >profiles. The printer was a gift, I couldn't have afforded it
    >otherwise, and I'm not going to be able to spend hundreds or thousands
    >on color profile software. Are there any "generic epson 2200 color
    >profiles" available for free, or low cost?

    The printer comes with it's own driver and the canned profile included
    is pretty good.

    >Third, are there any good forums specifically for Epson 2200 users?

    Not that I know of.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com