ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The Inquirer has reported previously that Intel is looking to bring Core to market very aggressively and now Intel themselves have confirmed it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31316

Woodcrest will ship in June, Conroe in July, and Merom in August. Personally, I'm particularly happy about Merom launching in August instead of Q4 since I'm looking to buy a new notebook. I'll have to see how it compares to the Turion X2 when they are released.

What I found most interesting is that Intel is already working on 2 next generation microarchitectures and plans to release a new one every 2 years. I guess they decided they couldn't just sit around anymore like they did with Netburst.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Ye apparently they are already sampling a new B0 stepping now. We'll know soon how well the finaly silicon will o/c. This year is gonna be crazy. We're all gonna have DC 4ghz version's of our favourite chips from 6 years ago.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Well it looks like I know what Ill be saving my summer job money for IF Conroe holds true to its claim. I like AMD, dont get me wrong, but INtel ,like wusy said, looks to be bringin the thunder.

This should be an interesting summer.

Possible Nvidia 8 series, no way ATI wouldn't counter
AM2 and Conroe launch

Yes im ignoring the mobile segment bc nobody wants a laptop.... lol j/k

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Maybe AMD will step up their 65nm production with this news. I'd like to see a decent reason to upgrade to AM2 before the end of the year...although it would negate the reason for all the chips they are making right now, so it probably won't happen.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
intel is really stepping it up to take back market share.

- huge price cuts to clear inventory. they flat out have the better bang for the buck now, considering you can clock a lot of their 65nm pentium 4/d's into the 4ghz range.
- moved up the launch of their new cpus. I think that's twice now.
- they're releasing a new architecture every 2 years? this is impressive imo. that is exactly what intel has the capability of doing because of simpy being a bigger company (more engineers, r&d, etc.).
- they plan to push quickly into 45nm as well.

they're getting panicked, obviously, as AMD is eating into their profits, but at the same time it looks like they're getting back on track really well.

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
The Inquirer has reported previously that Intel is looking to bring Core to market very aggressively and now Intel themselves have confirmed it.

Woodcrest will ship in June, Conroe in July, and Merom in August. Personally, I'm particularly happy about Merom launching in August instead of Q4 since I'm looking to buy a new notebook. I'll have to see how it compares to the Turion X2 when they are released.

What I found most interesting is that Intel is already working on 2 next generation microarchitectures and plans to release a new one every 2 years. I guess they decided they couldn't just sit around anymore like they did with Netburst.

Yeah, I know Intel's understanding of "new" architectures: add more cache and increase the speed of the FSB... :roll:

Why in the world would you be happy about intels releasing new architectures every two years?
Once more we see "all mighty" intel screwing everyone. People used to upgrade every 4+ years, now with intel's move people are forced to upgrade every two years and forcing AMD to do so also. Don't you get it?

What we see here is a desperate intel trying to do anything to regain leadership, but in the end they'll f*ck their self once again.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
STFU!
Slinky%20Original%20Metal.jpg

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Yeah, I know Intel's understanding of "new" architectures: add more cache and increase the speed of the FSB... :roll:

Why in the world would you be happy about intels releasing new architectures every two years?
Once more we see "all mighty" intel screwing everyone. People used to upgrade every 4+ years, now with intel's move people are forced to upgrade every two years and forcing AMD to do so also. Don't you get it?

What we see here is a desperate intel trying to do anything to regain leadership, but in the end they'll f*ck their self once again.

Technology leaders can not slow down.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

when has intel ever called adding more cache and increasing the FSB a new architecture?

I don't understand what your beef is. you don't want processors to get faster?

it's pointless for you to try and create doubt with intel when you're so clearly biased towards AMD. how about, since you probably like to buy fast computers, you look forward to conroe, purchase it for your next cpu, and then make your next upgrade to AMD after they release their new stuff?

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

What we see here is a desperate intel trying to do anything to regain leadership, but in the end they'll f*ck their self once again. This of course is coming from someone that is highly educated in marketing and the history of AMD and Intel. :roll:

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I understand your concerns and they are valid, but Intel is aware of the problem.

The chipset designs will be offset by half a generation.
I know it's very brief, but the idea is that a single chipset will be able to bridge two generations. Whether it'll work out in real life is of course another issue, but given that all current and future designs are focused on multi-core and similar power envelopes, the chances of compatibility between generations is higher. The only reason why current chipsets aren't compatible with Conroe is because of the huge power difference requiring new VRMs. Future designs should have similar power envelops and not have this issue.

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005

Since when intel was a technology leader?
Please, refresh my mind :roll:

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Since when intel was a technology leader?
Please, refresh my mind :roll:

Processor's are not the only thing Intel does.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Ohh Ohhh Ohhh I know what Intel's plan is !!!! Super duper low priced Pentium D's take out the low end market and medium priced Conroe's taking over the high end market !!! hmmm looks like Intel wants to show AMD who the school yard bully is lol

FLA94FD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Ohh Ohhh Ohhh I know what Intel's plan is !!!! Super duper low priced Pentium D's take out the low end market and medium priced Conroe's taking over the high end market !!! hmmm looks like Intel wants to show AMD who the school yard bully is lol

How is more bang for the buck ever a bad thing? I really hope you use a condom, because there should be a law against people as dense and blinded as you from ever reproducing.

Think about it AMD will have to counter to be competitive that means your beloved AMD will be CHEAPER! That is good for you too!!!!

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

How is more bang for the buck ever a bad thing? I really hope you use a condom, because there should be a law against people as dense and blinded as you from ever reproducing.

Think about it AMD will have to counter to be competitive that means your beloved AMD will be CHEAPER! That is good for you too!!!!

Wow insults, your impressive and maybe a bit on the slow side... at any rate at least your sense of humor is not well developed... I am in no way an AMD person truth be told I like Intel's better in fact I just ordered a Pentium D to replace my ageing Northwood...

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
How about the inventor of the first solid state microprocessor? Yeah, I do believe there was a patent on that and it was filed by Intel. Do you feel refreshed? Hmmmmm

Yes that and about 10,000 other advances.... If not for Intel and AMD's cross liscencing I doubt AMD could even make a CPU with out stepping on Intel's IP...

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
when has intel ever called adding more cache and increasing the FSB a new architecture?
They always do. How come you didn't notice? ;)

Why in the world ould you be happy about intels releasing new architectures every two years?

I don't understand what your beef is. you don't want processors to get faster?
Of corse I want faster processors which are possible with core revisions and die shrinks (just the way AMD has been doing with the Athlon64), but not a F*CKING NEW ARCHITECTURE EVERY 2 YEARS. A new architecture bring changes to everything: new chipsets, expensive memory shifts (DDR3, etc.) and new sockets. Maybe, I am not a millionaire like you but I'm talking in favor of the average Joe.

it's pointless for you to try and create doubt with intel when you're so clearly biased towards AMD. how about, since you probably like to buy fast computers, you look forward to conroe, purchase it for your next cpu, and then make your next upgrade to AMD after they release their new stuff?
If you're a BIG company with LOTS of resources but still you DON'T see the results you want sake of losing market share and your stock keeps going further down, it's obvious you do these type of "desperate" moves to keep up against the competition. Even if it's true that intel will release Woodcrest and siblings, all that is, is intel's propaganda machine.
First off, there's no market for woodcrest in june if they ever releases it in june. Certifications are not all that fast, first the builder has to build it and certify it and then the buyer takes a sample to certify it with his bussiness; so intel releasing woodcrest first means nothing, even though they will and try to tell us something different.
With that conrunt will be released towards the end of july, if it makes it then, so how much money is intel going to make 3rd quarter??? it won't since it will be behind what it did last year by 30 to 40%. By the time moron or merom or whatever its called will find a new dual core Turion to battle with.
In conclusion, intel isn't going to make any money this year.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I agree that Intel will not be doing as well as they have but I think they will still turn a profit (albeit a very slim one) I think next year will be Intel's money machine. They need it to pay for all that moving to 45nm stuff :twisted: I havent had this much fun since Intel and AMD where slugging it out with the P3 and the original Athlon !

Edit: Heheheheh yeah you would think Intel's R&D department spends all its money on beer the way people talk...