JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I was thinking it would look hmmm more different ? well I guess its a good thing they keep it familiar so people dont do what I did when I assembled my first 478 LOL I was like its so small....and the sound it made when I clamped down the heat sink... I tell you the crunch about made me jump !

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
if i recall correctly, hsf for socket 939 processors will not fit the am2 processors.

Oh ? daaammnnn you know its only like 1 pin different :( I would think that the after market coolers could be reused by some people but if it requires a new HSF then ouch...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Different HSF mounting lay out? Why? That's gonna affect the buyers since they would need new hsf and throw away the old ones and it's not cheap either. Is this for real?

Levium

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Uhh, though am2 was going to have the pins on the motherboard like the lga775. That's what I read somewhere at least *boggle*.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
ehhhhh

pretty cool

dammit i want to build another computer

lol I did too so I ordered a socket 775 Nforce 4 bourd some DDR2 and a 805D and I canceled my AGP upgrade when I seen I could get the same video card in PCIe for 100$ cheaper :( Nearly the cost of the CPU. I dont think it will run Conroe but at least its more modern then the northwood AGP thing I have been running lol AM2 and Conroe ill choose something after they have both been out for a few months (let the bugs get killed off before I spend real money)

Levium

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Uhh, though am2 was going to have the pins on the motherboard like the lga775. That's what I read somewhere at least *boggle*.
Thats F not AM2. F is for opterons.

Ahh, I see...Been awhile since I read it :p.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

I heard something like that also that AMD is switching to the no-pins cpu design like of that of the 775. I think that would be nice and get rid of the broken pins problem. :D

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006

I heard something like that also that AMD is switching to the no-pins cpu design like of that of the 775. I think that would be nice and get rid of the broken pins problem. :D

You dont get broken pins on the CPU but if a pin from the motherboard breaks you need to get a new motherboard. Motherboards for the most part are cheeper than CPUs.

The 775 sockets are ok, but I would like to get my hands on the guy that designed the mounting of the 775 heatsink fan. Does anyone else have issue with them or is it just me? :wink:

Levium

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

You dont get broken pins on the CPU but if a pin from the motherboard breaks you need to get a new motherboard. Motherboards for the most part are cheeper than CPUs.

The 775 sockets are ok, but I would like to get my hands on the guy that designed the mounting of the 775 heatsink fan. Does anyone else have issue with them or is it just me? :wink:

Yeah, I had a problem finding one that would fit on my abit fatal1ty motherboard. The stock actually wouldn't fit in *imagine that*. Ended up getting a nice big thermaltake tower :0.