user access /?

I have Win98 second edition istalled in my office...
having internet connection & high end printers, scanners,,
my employees are misusing it some times..
using hp2550 colorjet printers excessively, cost me much..
& downloading many programmes, changing setting everytime,,
creates so much problems...

can somebody me, as how to prevent it..
for internet usage, i've come across some softwares like cyberpatrol &
netnanny..
but for others such as only some users can use printers & can change
settings,,.

such things are there is winXP,, but i can't upload, because of some old
designing programs cant run in winXP...

some programs or other techniques which prevents them to do these...,
thanX in advance
krunal
4 answers Last reply
More about user access

    your not going to realy find a program that will recreate the functions you
    are wanting. It will end up being a nasty hack that might cause more
    problems in the long run. You would probably need a proxy server that would
    allow you to restrict internet access based on a username and passwords.
    Mcirosofts iss can do this as well as several open source servers wich might
    cost less.

    Now a quick solution for this would be to open the internet properties and
    goto the conections tab. Then goto the lan settings and set a proxy that
    sin't on the network. This will basicaly disable internet conectivity and
    you can change it back as needed without restarting the computer. As for
    the printer, You might want to get a small print server and share it from
    there. password protect the share and opnly give the passwords to people
    needing access to it.

    Now, I have fired or caused people to be fired for not following procedures.
    if you don't have disclplinary powers, i would suggest talking to those
    that do and putting the foot down. Nothing you are talking about here can't
    be solved by a simple policy set in place with some backbone to it.
    Employies that don't listen and cost the company money aren't good employies
    and should be let go. (ar at least those who continue to do it after bei9ng
    told not to.) This isn't that hard of a problem to solve. just get bold with
    them. tell em nobody gets a raise untill it stops and suspend or fire
    someone to show your serious.

    "~Krunal" <krunal83@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have Win98 second edition istalled in my office...
    > having internet connection & high end printers, scanners,,
    > my employees are misusing it some times..
    > using hp2550 colorjet printers excessively, cost me much..
    > & downloading many programmes, changing setting everytime,,
    > creates so much problems...
    >
    > can somebody me, as how to prevent it..
    > for internet usage, i've come across some softwares like cyberpatrol &
    > netnanny..
    > but for others such as only some users can use printers & can change
    > settings,,.
    >
    > such things are there is winXP,, but i can't upload, because of some old
    > designing programs cant run in winXP...
    >
    > some programs or other techniques which prevents them to do these...,
    > thanX in advance
    > krunal

    thanks jazz
    you have talked about small priner server..?
    what is it.. as i'm not an expert..
    can you explain me it in simpler words..
    if some software/hardware pls give me name /url from where it will be
    available..

    thank you
    krunal
    "jazz" <aprilo9@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
    > your not going to realy find a program that will recreate the functions
    > you
    > are wanting. It will end up being a nasty hack that might cause more
    > problems in the long run. You would probably need a proxy server that
    > would
    > allow you to restrict internet access based on a username and passwords.
    > Mcirosofts iss can do this as well as several open source servers wich
    > might
    > cost less.
    >
    > Now a quick solution for this would be to open the internet properties
    > and
    > goto the conections tab. Then goto the lan settings and set a proxy that
    > sin't on the network. This will basicaly disable internet conectivity
    > and
    > you can change it back as needed without restarting the computer. As for
    > the printer, You might want to get a small print server and share it from
    > there. password protect the share and opnly give the passwords to people
    > needing access to it.
    >
    > Now, I have fired or caused people to be fired for not following
    > procedures.
    > if you don't have disclplinary powers, i would suggest talking to those
    > that do and putting the foot down. Nothing you are talking about here
    > can't
    > be solved by a simple policy set in place with some backbone to it.
    > Employies that don't listen and cost the company money aren't good
    > employies
    > and should be let go. (ar at least those who continue to do it after
    > bei9ng
    > told not to.) This isn't that hard of a problem to solve. just get bold
    > with
    > them. tell em nobody gets a raise untill it stops and suspend or fire
    > someone to show your serious.
    >

    > "~Krunal" <krunal83@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I have Win98 second edition istalled in my office...
    >> having internet connection & high end printers, scanners,,
    >> my employees are misusing it some times..
    >> using hp2550 colorjet printers excessively, cost me much..
    >> & downloading many programmes, changing setting everytime,,
    >> creates so much problems...
    >>
    >> can somebody me, as how to prevent it..
    >> for internet usage, i've come across some softwares like cyberpatrol &
    >> netnanny..
    >> but for others such as only some users can use printers & can change
    >> settings,,.
    >>
    >> such things are there is winXP,, but i can't upload, because of some old
    >> designing programs cant run in winXP...
    >>
    >> some programs or other techniques which prevents them to do these...,
    >> thanX in advance
    >> krunal

    a print server is a device that would attach to your printer and then make
    it apear to be a networked shared printer availible on the network. You can
    find them at most electronics places that sell computer parts. (best buy,
    office max, compusa, places like that.) They come in both usb and parallel
    conections and after a network cable to your network, just a few settings
    (from the manufacturers manual) and it is shared acrossed the network. You
    shoul be able to password protect the share and only give it out to those
    needing to print.

> [...]
    > > someone to show your serious.
    > >

    > > "~Krunal" <krunal83@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have Win98 second edition istalled in my office...
    > >> having internet connection & high end printers, scanners,,
    > >> my employees are misusing it some times..
    > >> using hp2550 colorjet printers excessively, cost me much..
    > >> & downloading many programmes, changing setting everytime,,
    > >> creates so much problems...
    > >>
    > >> can somebody me, as how to prevent it..
    > >> for internet usage, i've come across some softwares like cyberpatrol &
    > >> netnanny..
    > >> but for others such as only some users can use printers & can change
    > >> settings,,.
    > >>
    > >> such things are there is winXP,, but i can't upload, because of some
    old
    > >> designing programs cant run in winXP...
    > >>
    > >> some programs or other techniques which prevents them to do these...,

    How is the network setup? If you have a router and there is no need for
    employees to have internet access, stop them at the router from accessing the
    net (WAN = Wide Area Network) only allowing LAN (Local Area Network) access.
    As well, if there is no need for them to access the net, block the WAN from
    outgoing/incoming TCP/IP and only allow NetBEUI access thru the LAN.

    As for the Printer on the LAN, set a share password on it.
    On the machine to which it's connected, click Start > Settings > Printers.
    Right click the shared printer
    Click Sharing.... on the popup menu
    Click the Sharing tab
    Type a Password in the input box
    Apply > Ok out

    Write down the PW and put it in a safe place so you always have it. Only supply
    those that you want to access it with the pw.

    Other places to ask and get answers on networking are:

    microsoft.public.win98.networking

    microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "~Krunal" <krunal83@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Win98 second edition istalled in my office...
    > having internet connection & high end printers, scanners,,
    > my employees are misusing it some times..
    > using hp2550 colorjet printers excessively, cost me much..
    > & downloading many programmes, changing setting everytime,,
    > creates so much problems...
    >
    > can somebody me, as how to prevent it..
    > for internet usage, i've come across some softwares like cyberpatrol &
    > netnanny..
    > but for others such as only some users can use printers & can change
    > settings,,.
    >
    > such things are there is winXP,, but i can't upload, because of some old
    > designing programs cant run in winXP...
    >
    > some programs or other techniques which prevents them to do these...,
    > thanX in advance
    > krunal

Internet Connection Printers Windows