Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Apple Was Aware Maps Sucked Before Launch

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
October 12, 2012 1:03:41 PM

Would be impossible for the QA department to come up with any other conclusion :p 
October 12, 2012 1:12:24 PM

Those bastards. I could've driven off a cliff. Or into a lake. Or all over the footpath mowing down pedestrians. Such evil bastards.
October 12, 2012 1:13:55 PM

it makes me wonder what apple does with all the money sitting around ? why don't they use to attract talented employees?(No pun intended)
October 12, 2012 1:21:51 PM

The company is now facilitating its own demise in attempt to join Steve Jobs in the afterlife.
October 12, 2012 1:26:47 PM

They probably assumed the QA team was holding it wrong.
October 12, 2012 1:43:15 PM

"apple was aware its products suck before launch"

Fixed the title for toms.

Generic apple hater thumbs up please.
October 12, 2012 1:46:14 PM

And iSheep still use iDevices..
October 12, 2012 1:47:54 PM

Quote:
I could've driven off a cliff. Or into a lake. Or all over the footpath mowing down pedestrians.

Ummm, owning any Apple product is like driving off the cliff of technology. Apple is about jailing, restriction, stealing, hoodwinking. Thanks but no thanks iCrap. Fortunately for Apple there are a lot of existentially challenged morons out there that need the Apple logo to give them a sense to "tech-cool".
If they only knew what "tech-cool" people think of iZombies.
October 12, 2012 1:53:08 PM

With the degree to wish it sucked I think it is a given they new it was bad. I gather a bit of self-delusion made them believe they could push it out as is and update throught the crap release until it was good enough.
October 12, 2012 2:00:13 PM

Apple without Jobs is like a boat with a hole in it.
October 12, 2012 2:02:13 PM

On the positive side now we have a good excuse for showing up to functions late, pesky iMap.
October 12, 2012 2:33:47 PM

A iphone5 user walks into a bar...or a hotel...or a restaurant...
October 12, 2012 2:42:05 PM

The only real way to improve maps is to just release it.. It needs feedback from everyone and criticism from everyone in order to improve. Maps has been around forever, you think google was the only one that worked on it? There have probably been many bug reports for google maps over the last 7 years made by every day users.
October 12, 2012 2:43:49 PM

If you're found worthy, the apple maps app will tell you to drive off a cliff - thus insuring your ascendance to the holy realm where all the apple faithful are forever happy and wear white (or black).
October 12, 2012 3:37:56 PM

Quote:
Apple without Jobs is like a boat with a hole in it.

Umm, I would say its like a rip off operation without a head ripoff artist.
October 12, 2012 3:43:33 PM

Quote:
it makes me wonder what apple does with all the money sitting around ?

They use it to patent troll, and to generate advertisement to keep their iCripples thinking they are
cool despite being technologically clueless.

October 12, 2012 3:46:25 PM

What's really sad is that Apple was arrogant enough to release it knowing that iSheep would still buy a defective product, And what do you know they still did.
October 12, 2012 3:48:25 PM

Quote:
I could've driven off a cliff. Or into a lake.

Hopefully they get sued for causing accidents. That would be the ultimate act of divine retribution.
Anonymous
October 12, 2012 4:00:27 PM

@nieur

They did hire a whole bunch of talented folks, the kind who managed to fool Samsung folks into believing that they were told in a memo to copy apple products
October 12, 2012 4:11:06 PM

Apple and Google are at odds. End of story. Apple killed Google Maps on the iPhone to further lock down their hardware/software. They have no intention to let anything third party that is good be added to their phone. But I believe legally they can not banish forever Google maps. That is anti-competitive. Just like Verizon tried to sue Google for providing a free map and navigation tool which was better than their $10 a month application. They tried to force their customers to buy their app by removing the competition.

Either way it can not possibly end favorably for Apple.
October 12, 2012 4:11:40 PM

i totally disagree with some of these comments....this kind of stuff happens with every type of software or hardware...nothing is perfect...i do agree that there should have been more done about trying to fix it but like i said, nothing is perfect...let's go back in time....even the space shuttles had issues and some even exploded in the air...there are hundred and thousands of engineers and software developers that make sure all systems are in working condition, yet accidents still happen.....i am sure that apple did all it could in the time available....please stop being ignorant
October 12, 2012 5:28:09 PM

vigorverminA iphone5 user walks into a bar...or a hotel...or a restaurant...

You mean a iphone5 user walks into anything except what he wants.
October 12, 2012 6:27:55 PM

Before: Employee - "Our app sucks". Manager - "Go back and work on it til you get it right"
Now: Employee - "Our app sucks". Manager - "Go back and work on an excuse why they are using it wrong"
Anonymous
October 12, 2012 7:09:35 PM

Of course they knew, just like they knew about the purple lens problem. And they knew about the antenna problem in the last one.

Apple's number one concern is selling as many idevices to isheep as possible. Fixing issues with their idevices is a very distant second to selling them.

They knew people would still buy them with the problems, so why delay release to fix them.... They can just release another version in a few more months, sellit for another $500 and call it revolutionary for fixing the flaws. And the isheep will buy it again and praise them for it.

You gotta hand it to apple, they know how to work their target market.
October 12, 2012 7:40:44 PM

nebuni totally disagree with some of these comments....this kind of stuff happens with every type of software or hardware...nothing is perfect...i do agree that there should have been more done about trying to fix it but like i said, nothing is perfect...let's go back in time....even the space shuttles had issues and some even exploded in the air...there are hundred and thousands of engineers and software developers that make sure all systems are in working condition, yet accidents still happen.....i am sure that apple did all it could in the time available....please stop being ignorant

Are you actually comparing the Challenger Explosion, a tragedy for our country, to a software release?
The Challenger launch was the culmination of many peoples' life's work and dreams. Any person who had a hand in that launch is a genius in their field (and not the apple kind of genius).

So please for the respect of our country and the people who died don't ever take a national tragedy and say that "accidents happen". You wouldn't do that with 9/11 would you?
October 12, 2012 8:24:40 PM

Time for class action suit !

October 12, 2012 9:07:28 PM

nebuni totally disagree with some of these comments....this kind of stuff happens with every type of software or hardware...nothing is perfect...i do agree that there should have been more done about trying to fix it but like i said, nothing is perfect...let's go back in time....even the space shuttles had issues and some even exploded in the air...there are hundred and thousands of engineers and software developers that make sure all systems are in working condition, yet accidents still happen.....i am sure that apple did all it could in the time available....please stop being ignorant

In my opinion, you're the ignorant one or just an apologist. Apple knew they were releasing a bad app, while removing Google Maps. They didn't claim it was a beta or anything, just that they believed that their App was worthy to replace Google Maps. They could have easily left Google Maps alone while improving their map App, and release it when it was truly ready, but they chose to ignore the advice of developers and ignore the pleadings of many, many customers that relied on Google Maps that replacing would be a major change for those that came to rely on Google Maps.

This is exactly what happens when you have a visionary like Steve Jobs is replaced by a business exec like Tim Cook. Steve Jobs would never have let this tarnish the Apple image but a businesscrat like Tim Cook, is just looking thinking of the bottomline ($$$) and getting the product out whether it is ready or not.

October 12, 2012 9:26:24 PM

Well Maps is just one app but a major one. Apple shoulda known better and I hope they learned their lesson!!!
October 12, 2012 9:27:00 PM

wannabeproAnd iSheep still use iDevices..

Spoken like a true Droidsheep :) 
October 12, 2012 9:28:58 PM

ddpruittWhat's really sad is that Apple was arrogant enough to release it knowing that iSheep would still buy a defective product, And what do you know they still did.
Hey, why not, it worked for Microsoft! Never buy a product til it gets to version 3.0. Looks like Apple and Microsoft are trading places.
October 12, 2012 9:34:12 PM

My guess is that they had a bug in their comment system, so all reports of flaws were never seen.
October 12, 2012 9:55:42 PM

Proves that Tim is no Steve. If they could ignore a major problem like this, Apple is done.
October 13, 2012 1:43:40 AM

Apple apologist.
October 13, 2012 2:18:06 AM

robochumpSpoken like a true Droidsheep

Don't have any android/droid products.
October 13, 2012 2:18:21 AM

Want one though.
October 13, 2012 2:33:48 AM

j2j663Are you actually comparing the Challenger Explosion, a tragedy for our country, to a software release?The Challenger launch was the culmination of many peoples' life's work and dreams. Any person who had a hand in that launch is a genius in their field (and not the apple kind of genius).So please for the respect of our country and the people who died don't ever take a national tragedy and say that "accidents happen". You wouldn't do that with 9/11 would you?

yes i am....dreams?...what dreams?
October 13, 2012 7:37:03 PM

ven1gerThis is exactly what happens when you have a visionary like Steve Jobs is replaced by a business exec like Tim Cook. Steve Jobs would never have let this tarnish the Apple image but a businesscrat like Tim Cook, is just looking thinking of the bottomline ($$$) and getting the product out whether it is ready or not.
You do remember that Jobs released the iPhone 4 with all sorts of problems, right? Jobs was also a business exec and marketing master, but definitely not a visionary.
October 14, 2012 6:07:46 AM

are we supposed to be surprised?
October 15, 2012 4:39:19 PM

christarpThe only real way to improve maps is to just release it.. It needs feedback from everyone and criticism from everyone in order to improve. Maps has been around forever, you think google was the only one that worked on it? There have probably been many bug reports for google maps over the last 7 years made by every day users.

Google released their maps as a beta program and outright stated that it needed work. Apple released theirs as a finished product. Apple is a company that claims that they just work. That screw-up with Maps killed two birds with one stone in the sense that they screwed their customers twice over from both their acclaimed reputation and what they launched it as.
October 15, 2012 4:41:57 PM

nebunyes i am....dreams?...what dreams?

Do you have any idea of what went into the USA's shuttle project and their missions? I'd say obviously not from this response of yours. Beyond that, Apple's Maps is not an accident. They knew what they were doing and they did it anyway. You are the one who should stop being ignorant.
!