Dual Monitors & Phantom Integrated Video

So, I built a PC using a PCCHIPS P21G (v3.1) motherboard. I wanted to go with a dual monitor setup, so I also installed my ATI All-in-wonder 9700 in the AGP slot. However, when I install windows the integrated video is nowhere to be found.

I did some research and found out that the "S3 UniChrome Pro" graphics is built into the northbridge of the P4M800 VIA chipset on the motherboard. I updated the VIA drivers and tried to install the S3 drivers, but the installation program says that no compatible hardware is found.

I suspected that maybe the onboard video gets disabled when an AGP card is detected. I carefully looked through the BIOS for any option relating to this and found nothing. The closest thing I could find was the "Primary Video Card is AGP/PCI" option, and I don't think that has anything to do with it (I tried it anyway, just in case). So, to test my theory I yanked my ATI and rebooted, and voila! The other monitor turns on and WinXP realizes that the integrated video exists. I say "well, that's a start" and successfully install the S3 drivers. However, as soon as I put the AGP card back in, the onboard video disappears as if it had never been there in the first place.

Anybody have any suggestions?
2 answers Last reply
More about dual monitors phantom integrated video
  1. The 9700 had dual monitor capability, and that will spare you the horrible performance of the integrated one..
  2. All 9700's have dual monitor support built in except the All-In-Wonder. I can only extend the desktop across one monitor and one TV. Still, I heard from a PCCHIPS rep that the BIOS shuts down the onboard video when it detects an AGP card and there's absolutely zip I can do about it. I guess I'll have to snag a cheap old PCI card and work with that. Thanks anyways.
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards Dual Monitors Video Motherboards Graphics