Which folders to copy from CD to get drivers?

I want to copy the folders on the Win98 CD which contain the drivers
that Win98 detects are missing (mainly motherboard drivers) when it
boots up.

On the Win98 CD I can see there is a folder immediately below the
root called "drivers". However inside another folder called "Win98"
there are files called WIN98_11.CAB through to WIN98_74.CAB.

Which are the driver folder/files that I should copy over?

And is there a preferred location on the Win98 partition where these
drivers should be put?

Bill Woods wrote:
> I want to copy the folders on the Win98 CD which contain the drivers
> that Win98 detects are missing (mainly motherboard drivers) when it
> boots up.
>
> On the Win98 CD I can see there is a folder immediately below the
> root called "drivers". However inside another folder called "Win98"
> there are files called WIN98_11.CAB through to WIN98_74.CAB.
>
> Which are the driver folder/files that I should copy over?
>
> And is there a preferred location on the Win98 partition where these
> drivers should be put?
Simple, when re-installing drivers, point the OS to the CD, it will read
it trying to find a driver for the hardware and will report if it found
it or not.
If NOT then you need drivers from mobo source.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:41:27 +0100, Bill Woods <woods_b@nomail.com>
wrote:

>I want to copy the folders on the Win98 CD which contain the drivers
>that Win98 detects are missing (mainly motherboard drivers) when it
>boots up.
>
>On the Win98 CD I can see there is a folder immediately below the
>root called "drivers". However inside another folder called "Win98"
>there are files called WIN98_11.CAB through to WIN98_74.CAB.
>
>Which are the driver folder/files that I should copy over?
>
>And is there a preferred location on the Win98 partition where these
>drivers should be put?

Bill,

The drivers are spread throughout the Cab files.
Copy the Win98 folder on the CD to the HD. Whenever Windows needs
some thing from the CD point to that folder. Windows can be
installed from the folder, even from Dos, just run Setup from there.

This may be what you need:
You can change the Source Path by using Regedit and navigating to
this key,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Scroll to SourcePath in the right pane and right click it and
modify. Anytime Windows needs something from the CD it will go to
the folder automatically.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/