Troubleshooter

The Windows 98 online Troubleshooter site, here,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2FDefault.asp ,
doesn't let me pursue any of the links, and instead gives me a page with the
message "The Requested Web Page is Not Available".

Does this mean that the site is no longer available, either because it has
been intentionally disabled, or because recent patches won't permit the
computer to use it?

Awhile back I decided to use the online version of Troubleshooter in place
of
the one in the OS Help that now requires the workarounds, and I'm trying to
figure out if the online version is gone for good and it's time to go back
to the one on hard drive.

It's bailed me out of a couple of "no sound" situations, and I think it's
worth keeping.

See http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Windows/98/98_Tshootr.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Roger Fink wrote:
> The Windows 98 online Troubleshooter site, here,
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2FDefault.asp
> , doesn't let me pursue any of the links, and instead gives me a page
> with the
> message "The Requested Web Page is Not Available".
>
> Does this mean that the site is no longer available, either because it has
> been intentionally disabled, or because recent patches won't permit the
> computer to use it?
>
> Awhile back I decided to use the online version of Troubleshooter in place
> of
> the one in the OS Help that now requires the workarounds, and I'm trying
> figure out if the online version is gone for good and it's time to go back
> to the one on hard drive.
>
> It's bailed me out of a couple of "no sound" situations, and I think it's
> worth keeping.

Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188867
Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
Troubleshooters...
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
That's it, but it doesn't always work. So, here is how to get them back
when offline...

NOTE: This first step undoes a security measure put into one/two files
that will not get reinstated by the undo .reg that follows. The .reg's
only disable/enable the kill bit.

(1) "START, Find, F&F, Tshoot.inf"; R-Clk it & select "Install".
You still won't have the Troubleshooters yet.
(2) "START button, Run, RegEdit"
(3) Navigate to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}

Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024) <<Dword value 400

....this way...
(a) Click plus signs, beginning with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE",
& ending with "ActiveX Compatibility".
(b) Click "{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}" itself in the left
pane. Now, you see "Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024)" in the
right pane.
(c) Use Regedit's "Registry menu, Export Registry file".

This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
all the items in the right pane & all sub-keys in the left pane (if
there is a plus sign to the one selected). Give it a name & location of
your choosing, even to the Desktop or My Documents. Name that one
"NoTrouble.reg". It will look like...

....Start.....
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

....End.......

(d) Close RegEdit. You now have an "undo" .reg, named "NoTrouble.reg".
(e) Make a copy of it called "Trouble.reg".
(f) Open "Trouble.reg" in Notepad. Change the "dword" to look as
follows... all zeros...

....Start..of "Trouble.reg"...
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

....End.......

CAREFUL: That "HKEY" is one line, with TWO spaces only. One between
"Internet Explorer", & the other between "ActiveX Compatibility". Make
sure it looks that way in Notepad, before you click to Save. Also, you
must have an empty line at bottom.

Now, "Trouble.reg" gives you the Troubleshooters. "NoTrouble.reg" will
give you security by taking them away. Remember to undo it, after you
are done looking at the Troubleshooters.

(2) By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the
Registry. To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder
Options, File Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries",
click the "Edit" button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set
Default" button. Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in
Notepad for examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it &
select "Merge".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
| The Windows 98 online Troubleshooter site, here,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2FDefault.asp ,
| doesn't let me pursue any of the links, and instead gives me a page
with the
| message "The Requested Web Page is Not Available".
|
| Does this mean that the site is no longer available, either because it
has
| been intentionally disabled, or because recent patches won't permit
the
| computer to use it?
|
| Awhile back I decided to use the online version of Troubleshooter in
place
| of
| the one in the OS Help that now requires the workarounds, and I'm
trying to
| figure out if the online version is gone for good and it's time to go
back
| to the one on hard drive.
|
| It's bailed me out of a couple of "no sound" situations, and I think
it's
| worth keeping.

The online troubleshooter does not seem to be working. I'll see if I can find out
what's up with them.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> The Windows 98 online Troubleshooter site, here,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2FDefault.asp ,
> doesn't let me pursue any of the links, and instead gives me a page with the
> message "The Requested Web Page is Not Available".
>
> Does this mean that the site is no longer available, either because it has
> been intentionally disabled, or because recent patches won't permit the
> computer to use it?
>
> Awhile back I decided to use the online version of Troubleshooter in place
> of
> the one in the OS Help that now requires the workarounds, and I'm trying to
> figure out if the online version is gone for good and it's time to go back
> to the one on hard drive.
>
> It's bailed me out of a couple of "no sound" situations, and I think it's
> worth keeping.

Thanks everyone. Glen I'll be interested to know what you are able to find
out about the on-line version of this.

glee wrote:
> The online troubleshooter does not seem to be working. I'll see if I
> can find out
> what's up with them.
>
> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> The Windows 98 online Troubleshooter site, here,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2FDefault.asp
> ,
>> doesn't let me pursue any of the links, and instead gives me a page
>> with the
>> message "The Requested Web Page is Not Available".
>>
>> Does this mean that the site is no longer available, either because
>> it has
>> been intentionally disabled, or because recent patches won't permit
>> the
>> computer to use it?
>>
>> Awhile back I decided to use the online version of Troubleshooter in
>> place
>> of
>> the one in the OS Help that now requires the workarounds, and I'm
>> trying to
>> figure out if the online version is gone for good and it's time to
>> go back
>> to the one on hard drive.
>>
>> It's bailed me out of a couple of "no sound" situations, and I think
>> it's
>> worth keeping.

It worked here on an XP Pro machine, so it may be another 98 update kill. Will
check on a 98SE machine to see if it works.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> The Windows 98 online Troubleshooter site, here,
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2FDefault.asp ,
> doesn't let me pursue any of the links, and instead gives me a page with the
> message "The Requested Web Page is Not Available".
>
> Does this mean that the site is no longer available, either because it has
> been intentionally disabled, or because recent patches won't permit the
> computer to use it?
>
> Awhile back I decided to use the online version of Troubleshooter in place
> of
> the one in the OS Help that now requires the workarounds, and I'm trying to
> figure out if the online version is gone for good and it's time to go back
> to the one on hard drive.
>
> It's bailed me out of a couple of "no sound" situations, and I think it's
> worth keeping.

Ok, it worked on the 98SE machine as well. I haven't checked any firewall
settings, but you may want to look into them to allow banners/ads or whatever is
required to fully access the site.

Of course that is all null/void since this response is 3 days beyond and the
site may be working for all now.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> The Windows 98 online Troubleshooter site, here,
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2FDefault.asp ,
> doesn't let me pursue any of the links, and instead gives me a page with the
> message "The Requested Web Page is Not Available".
>
> Does this mean that the site is no longer available, either because it has
> been intentionally disabled, or because recent patches won't permit the
> computer to use it?
>
> Awhile back I decided to use the online version of Troubleshooter in place
> of
> the one in the OS Help that now requires the workarounds, and I'm trying to
> figure out if the online version is gone for good and it's time to go back
> to the one on hard drive.
>
> It's bailed me out of a couple of "no sound" situations, and I think it's
> worth keeping.

4:55 p.m. - site still doesn't work for me. (IE6, WIN98-II, all up to date,
no firewall)

Brian A. wrote:
> Ok, it worked on the 98SE machine as well. I haven't checked any
> firewall
> settings, but you may want to look into them to allow banners/ads or
> whatever is
> required to fully access the site.
>
> Of course that is all null/void since this response is 3 days beyond
> and the
> site may be working for all now.
>

> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> The Windows 98 online Troubleshooter site, here,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2FDefault.asp
>> , doesn't let me pursue any of the links, and instead gives me a
>> page with the
>> message "The Requested Web Page is Not Available".
>>
>> Does this mean that the site is no longer available, either because
>> it has
>> been intentionally disabled, or because recent patches won't permit
>> the
>> computer to use it?
>>
>> Awhile back I decided to use the online version of Troubleshooter in
>> place
>> of
>> the one in the OS Help that now requires the workarounds, and I'm
>> trying to
>> figure out if the online version is gone for good and it's time to
>> go back
>> to the one on hard drive.
>>
>> It's bailed me out of a couple of "no sound" situations, and I think
>> it's
>> worth keeping.

I take that back, sort of. SOME of them work, some of them don't. For the
first six listings:
1. Y
2. N
3. Y