Wireless PCI Card in WIn 98 Machine??

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 19, 2005 1:02:52 AM

I was told that on a 6 year old PC, running win 98, the only
workable wireless installation is via a PCI card - a USB
connection would only work on much newer PC's.

Anyone have any experience adding wireless to a PC
like mine? With a PCI card, should the setup be difficult
or should it simply recognize it as a network device (plug
and play?)

TIA
Jim
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 19, 2005 2:03:42 AM

If the wireless adapter comes with Windows 98 drivers, no problem.
Otherwise, big problem.

"Jim" <kaplanjim@attbi.com> wrote in message
>I was told that on a 6 year old PC, running win 98, the only
> workable wireless installation is via a PCI card - a USB
> connection would only work on much newer PC's.
>
> Anyone have any experience adding wireless to a PC
> like mine? With a PCI card, should the setup be difficult
> or should it simply recognize it as a network device (plug
> and play?)
>
> TIA
> Jim
May 19, 2005 2:39:20 AM

If it is windows 98 and not 98 second editiion you might have problems.
Outside the poor usb support for windows 98first edittion, if the device
has a windows 98 driver it will work fine.

The key here is making sure you have windows 98se If you goto the system
properties, the verison should say somethign like windows 98 second edition
or version 4.10.2222. IF it is only 4.10.000 then it is first edition. The
usb support in first edition is lacking at best. Some people have been able
to get it working fine but not without alot of work.

I would go with a pci card if you can anyways. USB suffers from some
bandwidth restrictions and a couple other issues that might cause
different problems down the road. Most notably is that alot of devices
don't come back to life after your computer comes out of power saving mode.
If everythign is working fine, the speed of usb is actualy slower then the
speed capable on the wirless network too. USB 2.0 might bridge the gap a
bit but it also suffers from shared bandwidth like usb 1 does. If you have
alot of usb devices conected, you might see slower then expected speeds even
when the other devices aren't working. (bandwidth reservation).

Usb does fine in most cases and my opinion on using it with any network
card might be over exagerated. You typicaly don't get the rated speeds from
the network cards anyways. That might make my points about sharing bandwith
pointless but it is just somethign that concerns me. I have noticed the
speed differences in testing i have done but i doubt the average home user
would notice them in normal operation unless they are doing somethign
advanced or non typical for a home user. But then we probably wouldn't be
having this conversation if that was the case.

"Jim" <kaplanjim@attbi.com> wrote in message
> I was told that on a 6 year old PC, running win 98, the only
> workable wireless installation is via a PCI card - a USB
> connection would only work on much newer PC's.
>
> Anyone have any experience adding wireless to a PC
> like mine? With a PCI card, should the setup be difficult
> or should it simply recognize it as a network device (plug
> and play?)
>
> TIA
> Jim
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 19, 2005 7:56:24 PM

My W98SE portable uses wireless on a PCMCIA card, so PCI certainly isn't the
only option!

PCI will give you better performance than USB.

If your machine supports USB then it should support a USB wireless card,
provided the manufacturer has W98SE drivers for the card.

If your machine does not support USB then you can't use USB devices,
regardless of whether or not it has W98SE drivers.

If W98SE recognises a wireless network PCI card then it will be seeing it as
equivalent to something that was available at the time, which is almost
certainly not the best option. For best performance, install the device
drivers according to the manufacturer's instructions. Configuration is
essentially the same as with a wired network card, except for the additional
security.

If you are running W98 rather than W98SE, then upgrade to W98SE before
installing the card.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)