Windows 98 Starting in Dos: Missing Himem.sys

My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after resetting the
computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as well as
google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the same point
Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no go, tried
copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this man off my
computer and back on his own.
31 answers Last reply
More about windows starting missing himem

    Have a look here to edit the msdos.sys file:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc/browse_frm/thread/aa2d2c2234726d86/b20248a3d3b6a21d?q=himem.sys+missing&rnum=1&hl=en#b20248a3d3b6a21d
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after resetting the
    > computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as well as
    > google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the same point
    > Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no go, tried
    > copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this man off my
    > computer and back on his own.

    ....also, have a look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after resetting the
    > computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as well as
    > google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the same point
    > Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no go, tried
    > copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this man off my
    > computer and back on his own.

    glee, thank you for the response.

    I followed the directions on both links and still nothing.

    When I open an edit autoexec.bat is there suppose to be something in there?
    because it is just empty. but I did add the device= thing and now when
    starting the computer it tries to start up but then says bad command or file
    name.

    "glee" wrote:

    > ....also, have a look here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >
    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after resetting the
    > > computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as well as
    > > google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the same point
    > > Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no go, tried
    > > copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this man off my
    > > computer and back on his own.

    Did you copy it to the right folder... "C:\Windows"...?...

    HIMEM.sys is on a Startup Diskette...
    (a) Get a Startup Diskette from
    http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab".
    (b) Insert the diskette, & boot.
    (c) At the A:\ prompt, type...
    COPY Himem.sys C:\Windows\Himem.sys
    (d) Remove the diskette, & Ctrl-Alt-Del to Windows.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after resetting
    the
    | computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as well
    as
    | google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the
    same point
    | Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no go,
    tried
    | copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this man
    off my
    | computer and back on his own.

    PCR thank you for your reply.

    I tried doing this already, but I tried again, and nothing. When you said
    from "control panel" I wasn't sure what you meant because I can't get into
    windows. Is there some kind of control panel in DOS mode?

    I did follow you directions from A: prompt and down, and after resetting I'm
    still in DOS mode.

    "PCR" wrote:

    > Did you copy it to the right folder... "C:\Windows"...?...
    >
    > HIMEM.sys is on a Startup Diskette...
    > (a) Get a Startup Diskette from
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    > Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab".
    > (b) Insert the diskette, & boot.
    > (c) At the A:\ prompt, type...
    > COPY Himem.sys C:\Windows\Himem.sys
    > (d) Remove the diskette, & Ctrl-Alt-Del to Windows.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after resetting
    > the
    > | computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as well
    > as
    > | google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the
    > same point
    > | Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no go,
    > tried
    > | copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this man
    > off my
    > | computer and back on his own.

    I should add, it asked me if I wanted to overwrite, so I am assuming that it
    is already there. (I did overwrite)

    "elle" wrote:

    > PCR thank you for your reply.
    >
    > I tried doing this already, but I tried again, and nothing. When you said
    > from "control panel" I wasn't sure what you meant because I can't get into
    > windows. Is there some kind of control panel in DOS mode?
    >
    > I did follow you directions from A: prompt and down, and after resetting I'm
    > still in DOS mode.
    >
    > "PCR" wrote:
    >
    > > Did you copy it to the right folder... "C:\Windows"...?...
    > >
    > > HIMEM.sys is on a Startup Diskette...
    > > (a) Get a Startup Diskette from
    > > http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    > > Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab".
    > > (b) Insert the diskette, & boot.
    > > (c) At the A:\ prompt, type...
    > > COPY Himem.sys C:\Windows\Himem.sys
    > > (d) Remove the diskette, & Ctrl-Alt-Del to Windows.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > > should things get worse after this,
    > > PCR
    > > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > | My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after resetting
    > > the
    > > | computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as well
    > > as
    > > | google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the
    > > same point
    > > | Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no go,
    > > tried
    > > | copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this man
    > > off my
    > > | computer and back on his own.

    (1) The article never mentioned Autoexec.bat...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    ........Quote...........
    RESOLUTION
    • Edit the Config.sys file and remove the NOAUTO parameter from the DOS=
    statement.

    -or-
    • Edit the Config.sys file and insert the required DEVICE= statements so
    that the necessary devices are loaded during startup. The required
    statements are as follows. Add these lines after the
    "DOS=HIGH,UMB,NoAuto" line:
    Device=C:\Windows\Himem.Sys
    Device=C:\Windows\iFSHLP.Sys
    NOTE: If Windows is installed in a folder other than the Windows folder,
    adjust the two lines as necessary to list the folder in which Windows is
    installed.
    ........EOQ.............

    (2) Do you have a file named "Config.wos"? Then, perhaps that one should
    be renamed to "Config.sys"...

    (a) DIR C:\Config.wos /a
    If it shows up, then...
    (b)
    REN C:\Config.sys Config.bad
    REN C:\Config.wos Config.sys

    Hopefully, you may now reboot to Windows.

    --
    | glee, thank you for the response.
    |
    | I followed the directions on both links and still nothing.
    |
    | When I open an edit autoexec.bat is there suppose to be something in
    there?
    | because it is just empty. but I did add the device= thing and now when
    | starting the computer it tries to start up but then says bad command
    or file
    | name.
    |
    | "glee" wrote:
    |
    | > ....also, have a look here:
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    | > --
    | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    | >
    | > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after
    resetting the
    | > > computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as
    well as
    | > > google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the
    same point
    | > > Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no
    go, tried
    | > > copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this
    man off my
    | > > computer and back on his own.

    I don't know where I got the Autoexec.bat from, but the same with config.sys
    there is nothing in there, there are no lines with anything so how do I edit
    what is in there?

    WHen I did step (2) I just got file not found :(

    "PCR" wrote:

    > (1) The article never mentioned Autoexec.bat...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    > ........Quote...........
    > RESOLUTION
    > • Edit the Config.sys file and remove the NOAUTO parameter from the DOS=
    > statement.
    >
    > -or-
    > • Edit the Config.sys file and insert the required DEVICE= statements so
    > that the necessary devices are loaded during startup. The required
    > statements are as follows. Add these lines after the
    > "DOS=HIGH,UMB,NoAuto" line:
    > Device=C:\Windows\Himem.Sys
    > Device=C:\Windows\iFSHLP.Sys
    > NOTE: If Windows is installed in a folder other than the Windows folder,
    > adjust the two lines as necessary to list the folder in which Windows is
    > installed.
    > ........EOQ.............
    >
    > (2) Do you have a file named "Config.wos"? Then, perhaps that one should
    > be renamed to "Config.sys"...
    >
    > (a) DIR C:\Config.wos /a
    > If it shows up, then...
    > (b)
    > REN C:\Config.sys Config.bad
    > REN C:\Config.wos Config.sys
    >
    > Hopefully, you may now reboot to Windows.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | glee, thank you for the response.
    > |
    > | I followed the directions on both links and still nothing.
    > |
    > | When I open an edit autoexec.bat is there suppose to be something in
    > there?
    > | because it is just empty. but I did add the device= thing and now when
    > | starting the computer it tries to start up but then says bad command
    > or file
    > | name.
    > |
    > | "glee" wrote:
    > |
    > | > ....also, have a look here:
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    > | > --
    > | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > | > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > | >
    > | > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > resetting the
    > well as
    > same point
    > go, tried
    > man off my

    There is no Control Panel in DOS Mode. That was an alternative way to
    have gotten a Startup Diskette. Did your MSDOS.sys file look good, per
    the link Glee provided. Here is mine...

    Here is how to Edit MSDOS.sys in DOS. (If you have a Winboot.ini, it
    will override MSDOS.sys, though. So, check for that too. It has the same
    format as the other.)...

    C:\>DIR C:\Winboot.ini /a
    Directory of C:\
    File not found

    C:\>DIR C:\msdos.sys /a
    Directory of C:\
    MSDOS SYS 1,784 06-15-04 6:40p MSDOS.SYS
    1 file(s) 1,784 bytes

    ATTRIB -S -H -R C:\MSDOS.sys
    EDIT C:\MSDOS.sys
    Alt-F-X-ENTER (pressed separately) will exit EDIT. (TAB may prove
    helpful to navigate buttons.)
    ATTRIB +S +H +R C:\MSDOS.sys

    Report what you see. If you intend to make no change, you do not need
    the "ATTRIB" statements.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
    Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

    Here is mine. If you use CVFs (Compressed Volume Files), do not include
    Dblspace=0 & Drvspace=0. Do not include Network=0, if you connect to a
    Network. Logo=0 suppresses the Windows logo at boot.

    [Paths]
    WinDir=c:\windows
    WinBootDir=c:\windows
    HostWinBootDrv=c

    [Options]
    AutoScan=1
    BootMenu=1 ;Per Win98
    BootMenuDelay=10
    Dblspace=0 ;Per Win98
    Drvspace=0 ; Secrets
    DoubleBuffer=1
    Logo=0
    Network=0
    WinVer=4.10.2222

    ;
    ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
    ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

    --
    | I should add, it asked me if I wanted to overwrite, so I am assuming
    that it
    | is already there. (I did overwrite)
    |
    | "elle" wrote:
    |
    | > PCR thank you for your reply.
    | >
    | > I tried doing this already, but I tried again, and nothing. When
    you said
    | > from "control panel" I wasn't sure what you meant because I can't
    get into
    | > windows. Is there some kind of control panel in DOS mode?
    | >
    | > I did follow you directions from A: prompt and down, and after
    resetting I'm
    | > still in DOS mode.
    | >
    | > "PCR" wrote:
    | >
    | > > Did you copy it to the right folder... "C:\Windows"...?...
    | > >
    | > > HIMEM.sys is on a Startup Diskette...
    | > > (a) Get a Startup Diskette from
    | > > http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from
    "Control
    | > > Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab".
    | > > (b) Insert the diskette, & boot.
    | > > (c) At the A:\ prompt, type...
    | > > COPY Himem.sys C:\Windows\Himem.sys
    | > > (d) Remove the diskette, & Ctrl-Alt-Del to Windows.
    | > >

    | > > --
    | > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > > should things get worse after this,
    | > > PCR
    | > > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > the
    | > > as
    | > > same point
    | > > tried
    | > > off my
    | > > |
    | > > |

    OK, all of that just went right over my head, but I tried my best.

    When I typed in c:\>DIR C:\winboot.ini /a
    I didn't get file not found, it just said nothing.

    when typing in c:\>DIR c:\msdos.sys /a
    I got nothing also.

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | I should add, it asked me if I wanted to overwrite, so I am assuming
    > that it
    > | is already there. (I did overwrite)
    > |
    > | "elle" wrote:
    > |
    > | > PCR thank you for your reply.
    > | >
    > | > I tried doing this already, but I tried again, and nothing. When
    > you said
    > | > from "control panel" I wasn't sure what you meant because I can't
    > get into
    > | > windows. Is there some kind of control panel in DOS mode?
    > | >
    > | > I did follow you directions from A: prompt and down, and after

    It is OK to have none of these files... Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, &
    especially Config.wos. EDIT will appear to come up with empty ones in
    that circumstance. However, EDIT is only looking in the folder you
    specify or in the current folder if you specify none. Did you "EDIT
    C:\Config.sys" or was "C:\" the folder showing at the prompt? Then you
    do not have one in C:\, which is the only location of importance for a
    boot. Also, Config.sys is not responsible for the "missing" Himem.sys.
    Himem.sys will get loaded anyway, normally, by IO.sys, when
    C:\Config.sys is missing.

    Well, what did MSDOS.sys look like? And did you have a Winboot.ini?
    Those also must be in "C:\" to matter.

    --
    | I don't know where I got the Autoexec.bat from, but the same with
    config.sys
    | there is nothing in there, there are no lines with anything so how do
    I edit
    | what is in there?
    |
    | WHen I did step (2) I just got file not found :(
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > (1) The article never mentioned Autoexec.bat...
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    | > ........Quote...........
    | > RESOLUTION
    | > • Edit the Config.sys file and remove the NOAUTO parameter from
    the DOS=
    | > statement.
    | >
    | > -or-
    | > • Edit the Config.sys file and insert the required DEVICE=
    statements so
    | > that the necessary devices are loaded during startup. The required
    | > statements are as follows. Add these lines after the
    | > "DOS=HIGH,UMB,NoAuto" line:
    | > Device=C:\Windows\Himem.Sys
    | > Device=C:\Windows\iFSHLP.Sys
    | > NOTE: If Windows is installed in a folder other than the Windows
    folder,
    | > adjust the two lines as necessary to list the folder in which
    Windows is
    | > installed.
    | > ........EOQ.............
    | >
    | > (2) Do you have a file named "Config.wos"? Then, perhaps that one
    should
    | > be renamed to "Config.sys"...
    | >
    | > (a) DIR C:\Config.wos /a
    | > If it shows up, then...
    | > (b)
    | > REN C:\Config.sys Config.bad
    | > REN C:\Config.wos Config.sys
    | >
    | > Hopefully, you may now reboot to Windows.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | glee, thank you for the response.
    | > |
    | > | I followed the directions on both links and still nothing.
    | > |
    | > | When I open an edit autoexec.bat is there suppose to be something
    in
    | > there?
    | > | because it is just empty. but I did add the device= thing and now
    when
    | > | starting the computer it tries to start up but then says bad
    command
    | > or file
    | > | name.
    | > |
    | > | "glee" wrote:
    | > |

    | > resetting the
    | > well as
    | > same point
    | > go, tried
    | > man off my

    | When I typed in c:\>DIR C:\winboot.ini /a

    You would just type...

    DIR C:\winboot.ini /a

    ....at the prompt, which for me was "C:\>".

    --
> [...]
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | I should add, it asked me if I wanted to overwrite, so I am
    | > |

    When
    | > you said
    | > get into

    | > resetting I'm

    | > "Control

    | > resetting
    | > well
    | > the
    | > no go,
    | > man
    | > | > > |
    | > | > > |

    Ok, now it looks the same. What do I do now?

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
    > | >
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

    elle, The first link I gave you in my first reply....the one that was very long and
    wrapped a few lines....deals with editing the msdos.sys file. Have you followed the
    instructions by Alex Nichol and cquirke in that link?

    Here is a shortened version of the link to make it easier to click:
    http://snipurl.com/f03v
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > glee, thank you for the response.
    >
    > I followed the directions on both links and still nothing.
    >
    > When I open an edit autoexec.bat is there suppose to be something in there?
    > because it is just empty. but I did add the device= thing and now when
    > starting the computer it tries to start up but then says bad command or file
    > name.
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > ....also, have a look here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >
    > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > My BF deleted a game he had installed on his computer after resetting the
    > > > computer it now starts in DOS mode. I've searched this forum as well as
    > > > google search, and have tried many things. We keep getting to the same point
    > > > Himem is missing. I've tried copying from a: to c: and it's a no go, tried
    > > > copying and many other things and nothing. Please help get this man off my
    > > > computer and back on his own.

    To be honest with you I just don't understand what they are saying to do.
    The only clear directions on there is to past at the bottom, but how do I
    paste that onto another computer???

    "glee" wrote:

    > elle, The first link I gave you in my first reply....the one that was very long and
    > wrapped a few lines....deals with editing the msdos.sys file. Have you followed the
    > instructions by Alex Nichol and cquirke in that link?
    >
    > Here is a shortened version of the link to make it easier to click:
    > http://snipurl.com/f03v
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > glee, thank you for the response.
    > >
    > > I followed the directions on both links and still nothing.
    > >
    > > When I open an edit autoexec.bat is there suppose to be something in there?
    > > because it is just empty. but I did add the device= thing and now when
    > > starting the computer it tries to start up but then says bad command or file
    > > name.
    > >
    > > "glee" wrote:
    > >
    > > > ....also, have a look here:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=116253
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > > >
    > > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Are you saying the Paths in yours looked like...?...

    [Paths]
    WinDir=c:\windows
    WinBootDir=c:\windows
    HostWinBootDrv=c

    Then, as I know you have no Winboot.ini to override it & you have no
    Config.sys or Autoexec.bat, NONE of these files is causing your problem.
    Are you sure you scrolled all the way to the bottom of MSDOS.sys? Any
    [Paths] under the filler "xxxx" lines would override the ones above. I
    guess...

    (1) Can you boot to Safe Mode?
    Hold F5 or CTRL during boot to select it.
    (Remove that Startup Diskette first.)

    (2) At a DOS Prompt...
    DIR C:\Windows\Himem.sys /a
    ...just to be very certain it does exist.

    Here is mine...
    C:\>DIR C:\Windows\Himem.sys /a
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS
    HIMEM SYS 33,191 04-23-99 10:22p HIMEM.SYS
    1 file(s) 33,191 bytes

    --
    | Ok, now it looks the same. What do I do now?
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > | When I typed in c:\>DIR C:\winboot.ini /a
    | >
    | > You would just type...
    | >
    | > DIR C:\winboot.ini /a
    | >
    | > ....at the prompt, which for me was "C:\>".
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | OK, all of that just went right over my head, but I tried my best.
    | > |
    | > | When I typed in c:\>DIR C:\winboot.ini /a
    | > | I didn't get file not found, it just said nothing.
    | > |
    | > | when typing in c:\>DIR c:\msdos.sys /a
    | > | I got nothing also.
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" wrote:
    | > |
    | > per

    Winboot.ini, it
    | > same

    | > need

    | > include

    | > programs.

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

    | > assuming
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > When
    | > can't

    | > forum as
    | > this
    | > | > | > > |
    | > | > | > > |

    "PCR" wrote:
    I'm not sure what you meant by this:

    > Are you saying the Paths in yours looked like...?...
    >
    > [Paths]
    > WinDir=c:\windows
    > WinBootDir=c:\windows
    > HostWinBootDrv=c

    But when I followed the two steps you provided I got:

    Volume in drive c is Windows_98
    Volume serial number is...
    Directory of C:\windows

    Himem.sys 33,191 05-11-98 8:01p
    1 file(s) 33,191 bytes
    0 dir(s) 675.11 MB free
> [...]
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
    > | > | >

    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

    Forget about the pasting part in cquirke's reply.....look at Alex Nichol's reply
    further up.

    Boot with a startup floppy and type the following, pressing Enter after each line:
    C:
    CD\
    EDIT MSDOS.SYS

    The Edit screen will open with the text of your msdos.sys file. The PATHS section
    of the file should look like this:
    [Paths]
    Windir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C

    Does it?
    (Press ALT-F, then X to exit Edit)
    --

    > To be honest with you I just don't understand what they are saying to do.
    > The only clear directions on there is to past at the bottom, but how do I
    > paste that onto another computer???
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > elle, The first link I gave you in my first reply....the one that was very long
    and
    > > wrapped a few lines....deals with editing the msdos.sys file. Have you followed
    the
    > > instructions by Alex Nichol and cquirke in that link?
    > >
    > > Here is a shortened version of the link to make it easier to click:
    > > http://snipurl.com/f03v
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > glee, thank you for the response.
    > > >
    > > > I followed the directions on both links and still nothing.
    > > >
    > > > When I open an edit autoexec.bat is there suppose to be something in there?
    > > > because it is just empty. but I did add the device= thing and now when
    > > > starting the computer it tries to start up but then says bad command or file
    > > > name.

    After typing that in, and when the blue screen pops up all that is on the
    screen is:

    ;SYS

    I did go to Alt-F and open and went into Himem.sys and it said:

    Error: Himem.sys requires MS-DOS 3.00 or higher

    he has 2.0

    "glee" wrote:

    > Forget about the pasting part in cquirke's reply.....look at Alex Nichol's reply
    > further up.
    >
    > Boot with a startup floppy and type the following, pressing Enter after each line:
    > C:
    > CD\
    > EDIT MSDOS.SYS
    >
    > The Edit screen will open with the text of your msdos.sys file. The PATHS section
    > of the file should look like this:
    > [Paths]
    > Windir=C:\WINDOWS
    > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > HostWinBootDrv=C
    >
    > Does it?
    > (Press ALT-F, then X to exit Edit)
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > To be honest with you I just don't understand what they are saying to do.
    > > The only clear directions on there is to past at the bottom, but how do I
    > > paste that onto another computer???
    > >
    > > "glee" wrote:
    > >
    > > > elle, The first link I gave you in my first reply....the one that was very long
    > and
    > > > wrapped a few lines....deals with editing the msdos.sys file. Have you followed
    > the
    > > > instructions by Alex Nichol and cquirke in that link?
    > > >
    > > > Here is a shortened version of the link to make it easier to click:
    > > > http://snipurl.com/f03v
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > > >

    > > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > point
    > tried
    > my

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If ;SYS is the only thing in his msdos.sys file, that is the problem. Rather than
    trying to re-create the correct contents for the file, you may find it easier to
    *copy* the msdos.sys file from your working computer, to a floppy disk, in Windows;
    then bring the floppy disk to his computer and run some DOS commands to replace his
    nearly-empty file with the copy on the floppy disk.

    First, find your msdos.sys file on your working computer:
    - insert a blank floppy disk in your floppy drive
    - click Start> Find> Files or Folders, look in the C:\ drive for the file named
    msdos.sys, and click Find Now
    - when found (it should be found in the C:\Windows folder), right-click the
    msdos.sys file, and click Send To> 3½" Floppy [A:]

    Start his computer...it should boot to DOS as you have said it does earlier in this
    thread.
    Insert the floppy disk in his floppy drive.
    At the DOS prompt on his computer, type the following, and press Enter after each
    line:
    CD\
    ATTRIB -H -R -S MSDOS.SYS
    DEL MSDOS.SYS
    COPY A:\MSDOS.SYS C:

    When it is done, and you are back at the command prompt, remove your floppy disk and
    press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart, hopefully into Windows.

    (Those commands should remove the Hidden, Read Only, and System ATTRIButes from his
    msdos.sys file, allowing you to then DELete the file, followed by COPYing the file
    from the floppy A:\ drive to his C: drive)
    --

    > After typing that in, and when the blue screen pops up all that is on the
    > screen is:
    >
    > ;SYS
    >
    > I did go to Alt-F and open and went into Himem.sys and it said:
    >
    > Error: Himem.sys requires MS-DOS 3.00 or higher
    >
    > he has 2.0
    >

    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > Forget about the pasting part in cquirke's reply.....look at Alex Nichol's reply
    > > further up.
    > >
    > > Boot with a startup floppy and type the following, pressing Enter after each
    line:
    > > C:
    > > CD\
    > > EDIT MSDOS.SYS
    > >
    > > The Edit screen will open with the text of your msdos.sys file. The PATHS
    section
    > > of the file should look like this:
    > > [Paths]
    > > Windir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > HostWinBootDrv=C
    > >
    > > Does it?
    > > (Press ALT-F, then X to exit Edit)
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > To be honest with you I just don't understand what they are saying to do.
    > > > The only clear directions on there is to past at the bottom, but how do I
    > > > paste that onto another computer???

    > > and
    > > the

    > > point
    > > tried
    > > my

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Does it matter that I have XP and he has 98?

    "glee" wrote:

> [...]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After typing that in, and when the blue screen pops up all that is on the
    > > screen is:
    > >
    > > ;SYS
    > >
    > > I did go to Alt-F and open and went into Himem.sys and it said:
    > >
    > > Error: Himem.sys requires MS-DOS 3.00 or higher
    > >
    > > he has 2.0
    > >

    > > "glee" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Forget about the pasting part in cquirke's reply.....look at Alex Nichol's reply
    > > > further up.
    > > >
    > > > Boot with a startup floppy and type the following, pressing Enter after each
    > line:
    > > > C:
    > > > CD\
    > > > EDIT MSDOS.SYS
    > > >
    > > > The Edit screen will open with the text of your msdos.sys file. The PATHS

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    ALthough he has 98 and I have XP I tried it anyway. It said 'file not found
    a:\msdos.sys c:'

    When told to copy from the disk before it would say 1 file copied.

    "glee" wrote:

> [...]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After typing that in, and when the blue screen pops up all that is on the
    > > screen is:
    > >
    > > ;SYS
    > >
    > > I did go to Alt-F and open and went into Himem.sys and it said:
    > >
    > > Error: Himem.sys requires MS-DOS 3.00 or higher
    > >
    > > he has 2.0
    > >

    > > "glee" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Forget about the pasting part in cquirke's reply.....look at Alex Nichol's reply
    > > > further up.
    > > >
    > > > Boot with a startup floppy and type the following, pressing Enter after each
    > line:
    > > > C:
    > > > CD\
    > > > EDIT MSDOS.SYS
    > > >
    > > > The Edit screen will open with the text of your msdos.sys file. The PATHS

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I see from your reply to Glee that you do not have a proper MSDOS.sys
    file. You cannot get one from an XP machine. Take mine or cquirke's, &
    put it in "C:\". Here is mine again...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
    Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

    (a) If he uses CVFs (Compressed Volume Files), do not include Dblspace=0
    & Drvspace=0.
    Very likely he doesn't.
    (b) Do not include Network=0, if he connects to a Network.
    Probably he doesn't.
    (c) Logo=0 suppresses the Windows logo at boot.
    (d) "WinVer=4.10.2222" means Win98SE;
    Use "WinVer=4.10.1998" for Win98FE.

    ;===== Copy this to a text file ========
    ;===== Name it... MSDOS.sys ========
    ;===== It starts AFTER this line ========
    [Paths]
    WinDir=c:\windows
    WinBootDir=c:\windows
    HostWinBootDrv=c

    [Options]
    AutoScan=1
    BootMenu=1
    BootMenuDelay=10
    Dblspace=0
    Drvspace=0
    DoubleBuffer=1
    Logo=0
    Network=0
    WinVer=4.10.2222

    ;
[...]
    ;===== It ends BEFORE this line ========

    After you have it on a floppy, boot his machine from the Startup
    Diskette. Remove that one, insert the floppy with MSDOS.sys on it, &...

    COPY A:\MSDOS.sys C:\
    ATTRIB +S +H +R C:\MSDOS.sys

    Now, remove the floppy, & Ctrl-Alt-Del hopefully to Windows.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    ....snip
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yes, it matters! I assumed you were both using Win98. Windows XP does not use the
    msdos.sys file, so it is usually blank.
    --

    > Does it matter that I have XP and he has 98?
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > If ;SYS is the only thing in his msdos.sys file, that is the problem. Rather
    than
    > > trying to re-create the correct contents for the file, you may find it easier to
    > > *copy* the msdos.sys file from your working computer, to a floppy disk, in
    Windows;
    > > then bring the floppy disk to his computer and run some DOS commands to replace
    his
    > > nearly-empty file with the copy on the floppy disk.
    > >
    > > First, find your msdos.sys file on your working computer:
    > > - insert a blank floppy disk in your floppy drive
    > > - click Start> Find> Files or Folders, look in the C:\ drive for the file named
    > > msdos.sys, and click Find Now
    > > - when found (it should be found in the C:\Windows folder), right-click the
    > > msdos.sys file, and click Send To> 3½" Floppy [A:]
    > >
    > > Start his computer...it should boot to DOS as you have said it does earlier in
    this
    > > thread.
    > > Insert the floppy disk in his floppy drive.
    > > At the DOS prompt on his computer, type the following, and press Enter after
    each
    > > line:
    > > CD\
    > > ATTRIB -H -R -S MSDOS.SYS
    > > DEL MSDOS.SYS
    > > COPY A:\MSDOS.SYS C:
    > >
    > > When it is done, and you are back at the command prompt, remove your floppy disk
    and
    > > press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart, hopefully into Windows.
    > >
    > > (Those commands should remove the Hidden, Read Only, and System ATTRIButes from
    his
    > > msdos.sys file, allowing you to then DELete the file, followed by COPYing the
    file
    > > from the floppy A:\ drive to his C: drive)
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > After typing that in, and when the blue screen pops up all that is on the
    > > > screen is:
    > > >
    > > > ;SYS
    > > >
    > > > I did go to Alt-F and open and went into Himem.sys and it said:
    > > >
    > > > Error: Himem.sys requires MS-DOS 3.00 or higher
    > > >
    > > > he has 2.0

    > > line:

    > > section

    > > long
    > > followed

    > > there?
    > > file

    > > the
    > > as
    > > same
    > > off

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR and Glee. I would like to thank you both for your time, help and
    expertise in this matter. We are both truly greatful, the computer is now
    working as before.

    Many Thanks
    ~elle

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
    > ;===== It ends BEFORE this line ========
    >
    > After you have it on a floppy, boot his machine from the Startup
    > Diskette. Remove that one, insert the floppy with MSDOS.sys on it, &...
    >
    > COPY A:\MSDOS.sys C:\
    > ATTRIB +S +H +R C:\MSDOS.sys
    >
    > Now, remove the floppy, & Ctrl-Alt-Del hopefully to Windows.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Get a blank floppy disk.
    On your XP computer, insert the disk into the floppy drive.

    On the XP machine, click Start> My Computer> Tools menu> Folder Options.
    Click the View tab.
    In the Advanced Settings scroll box, REMOVE the check-marks from the boxes for these
    items:
    _ Hide extensions for known file types
    _ Hide protected operating system files

    Also, select the radio button for "Show hidden files and folders".
    Click Apply, then OK.

    Open Notepad:
    Click Start> All Programs> Accessories> Notepad

    Copy and paste all the following into the open Notepad window, starting with the
    line [Paths] and ending after the lines with all X's:

    [Paths]
    WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C

    [Options]
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    DoubleBuffer=1
    AutoScan=1

    ;
[...]

    ----
    (note that each line with xxxx's ends with a letter of the alphabet, in case your
    reader wraps them)

    When you have pasted all that into Notepad, click the File menu> Save.
    In the Save dialog box, in the 'Save in" dropdown box choose the floppy drive.
    In the box for 'File ame', type in MSDOS.SYS (do NOT include a .txt extension at
    the end)
    In the dropdown box for 'Save as Type', choose "All Files"
    Click the 'Save' button, to save the file as msdos.sys, on the floppy disk.

    Now start the Win98 machine and let it boot up to the DOS prompt; then take that
    floppy disk to the Win98 machine and insert it into the floppy drive.

    At the DOS prompt on the Win98 machine, type the following and press Enter after
    each line:

    CD\
    ATTRIB -H -R -S MSDOS.SYS
    DEL MSDOS.SYS
    COPY A:\MSDOS.SYS C:\

    Please note where the spaces are....I will type it below with <space> wherever you
    need to type a space:
    CD\
    ATTRIB<space> -H -R -S <space>MSDOS.SYS
    DEL<space> MSDOS.SYS
    COPY<space> A:\MSDOS.SYS<space> C:\
    (Make sure you include the \ in C:\ at the end....I left it out last time)

    When done, remove the floppy disk from the drive, and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to
    restart (we hope) Win98.

    When all done, you can go back to the folder options on your XP computer and set
    them back the way they were before.
    --

    > ALthough he has 98 and I have XP I tried it anyway. It said 'file not found
    > a:\msdos.sys c:'
    >
    > When told to copy from the disk before it would say 1 file copied.
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > If ;SYS is the only thing in his msdos.sys file, that is the problem. Rather
    than
    > > trying to re-create the correct contents for the file, you may find it easier to
    > > *copy* the msdos.sys file from your working computer, to a floppy disk, in
    Windows;
    > > then bring the floppy disk to his computer and run some DOS commands to replace
    his
    > > nearly-empty file with the copy on the floppy disk.
    > >
    > > First, find your msdos.sys file on your working computer:
    > > - insert a blank floppy disk in your floppy drive
    > > - click Start> Find> Files or Folders, look in the C:\ drive for the file named
    > > msdos.sys, and click Find Now
    > > - when found (it should be found in the C:\Windows folder), right-click the
    > > msdos.sys file, and click Send To> 3½" Floppy [A:]
    > >
    > > Start his computer...it should boot to DOS as you have said it does earlier in
    this
    > > thread.
    > > Insert the floppy disk in his floppy drive.
    > > At the DOS prompt on his computer, type the following, and press Enter after
    each
    > > line:
    > > CD\
    > > ATTRIB -H -R -S MSDOS.SYS
    > > DEL MSDOS.SYS
    > > COPY A:\MSDOS.SYS C:
    > >
    > > When it is done, and you are back at the command prompt, remove your floppy disk
    and
    > > press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart, hopefully into Windows.
    > >
    > > (Those commands should remove the Hidden, Read Only, and System ATTRIButes from
    his
    > > msdos.sys file, allowing you to then DELete the file, followed by COPYing the
    file
    > > from the floppy A:\ drive to his C: drive)
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > After typing that in, and when the blue screen pops up all that is on the
    > > > screen is:
    > > >
    > > > ;SYS
    > > >
    > > > I did go to Alt-F and open and went into Himem.sys and it said:
    > > >
    > > > Error: Himem.sys requires MS-DOS 3.00 or higher
    > > >
    > > > he has 2.0

    > > line:

    > > section

    > > long
    > > followed

    > > there?
    > > file

    > > the
    > > as
    > > same
    > > off

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    BTW, the msdos.sys file you were trying to copy, using the DOS COPY command, was an
    empty (and therefore 0-byte) file.....COPY will not copy a zero-byte file.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ALthough he has 98 and I have XP I tried it anyway. It said 'file not found
    > a:\msdos.sys c:'
    >
    > When told to copy from the disk before it would say 1 file copied.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "glee" wrote:

    > BTW, the msdos.sys file you were trying to copy, using the DOS COPY command, was an
    > empty (and therefore 0-byte) file.....COPY will not copy a zero-byte file.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ALthough he has 98 and I have XP I tried it anyway. It said 'file not found
    > > a:\msdos.sys c:'
    > >
    > > When told to copy from the disk before it would say 1 file copied.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > snip
    > Now start the Win98 machine and let it boot up to the DOS prompt; then take that
    > floppy disk to the Win98 machine and insert it into the floppy drive.
    >
    > At the DOS prompt on the Win98 machine, type the following and press Enter after
    > each line:
    >
    > CD\
    > ATTRIB -H -R -S MSDOS.SYS
    > DEL MSDOS.SYS
    > COPY A:\MSDOS.SYS C:\

    Small addition: there should be one more command at the end:
    CD\
    ATTRIB -H -R -S MSDOS.SYS
    DEL MSDOS.SYS
    COPY A:\MSDOS.SYS C:\
    ATTRIB +H +R +S MSDOS.SYS
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Glad to hear it, and I am sure PCR is too. Nice to have your computer back, eh?
    ;-)
    --

    > PCR and Glee. I would like to thank you both for your time, help and
    > expertise in this matter. We are both truly greatful, the computer is now
    > working as before.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > ~elle
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > BTW, the msdos.sys file you were trying to copy, using the DOS COPY command, was
    an
    > > empty (and therefore 0-byte) file.....COPY will not copy a zero-byte file.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > ALthough he has 98 and I have XP I tried it anyway. It said 'file not found
    > > > a:\msdos.sys c:'
    > > >
    > > > When told to copy from the disk before it would say 1 file copied.

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome. Glad to hear, as predictably was Glee. Naturally, he
    was named for occasions such as this.

    --
> [...]
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
    | > ;===== It ends BEFORE this line ========
    | >
    | > After you have it on a floppy, boot his machine from the Startup
    | > Diskette. Remove that one, insert the floppy with MSDOS.sys on it,
    &...

    | > COPY A:\MSDOS.sys C:\
    | > ATTRIB +S +H +R C:\MSDOS.sys
    | >
    | > Now, remove the floppy, & Ctrl-Alt-Del hopefully to Windows.

Windows 98 Computers Windows