Installing a network card

Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se finds the
new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.

I have 2 options here:

1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
2) searching via some storage

The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on the
card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and then
i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.

I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.

What could i do now?

regards
6 answers Last reply
More about installing network card

    What I would do would be to search "The World of Windows Networking"
    site: www.wown.com.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    "=?Utf-8?B?UGludG8xdWs=?=" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se
    > finds the new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
    >
    > I have 2 options here:
    >
    > 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
    > 2) searching via some storage
    >
    > The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on
    > the card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the
    > manufacturer) and then i get a error saying cannot install the drivers
    > for this device.
    >
    > I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
    >
    > What could i do now?
    >
    > regards

    Use Everest <http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en> to
    find out which NIC you have.

    "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se finds
    the
    > new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
    >
    > I have 2 options here:
    >
    > 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
    > 2) searching via some storage
    >
    > The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on the
    > card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and
    then
    > i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.
    >
    > I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
    > What could i do now?
    >
    > regards

    What CD, one that came with the nic or one the windows cd
    If the cd came with the NIC
    power off
    remove the NIC, unscrew it and pull it out
    reboot & use cd autorun to install drivers
    power down
    install Nic
    reboot and let the wizard find the drivers which will now exist

    Win 98se prefers that the drivers for hardware are installed before the
    hardware is

    If the NIC came from the bargain box (no cd)
    power off
    remove the nic
    google search for the model and manufacturer by any/all serial numbers &
    names on the NIC, not on chipsets on the card itself
    download the drivers
    install the drivers
    power off
    install the nic
    reboot and let the wizard find the drivers which will now exist

    Common thread is that Win98 & se prefer that hardware drivers are installed
    before the hardware is

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters

    It isn't that windows preferes the drivers be loaded before you install the
    hardware. It is that windows 98 has a routine that stops windows from asking
    for drivers everytime the computer is started. What this does is instal the
    device as an unknown device wich will make trying to install the drivers
    dificult if you aren't aware of this. When installing USB drivers however
    you should have the driver loaded before pluging in the device. This is
    primarily because of the unknowndevice situation.

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se
    finds
    > the
    > > new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
    > >
    > > I have 2 options here:
    > >
    > > 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
    > > 2) searching via some storage
    > >
    > > The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on
    the
    > > card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and
    > then
    > > i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.
    > >
    > > I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
    > > What could i do now?
    > >
    > > regards
    >
    > What CD, one that came with the nic or one the windows cd
    > If the cd came with the NIC
    > power off
    > remove the NIC, unscrew it and pull it out
    > reboot & use cd autorun to install drivers
    > power down
    > install Nic
    > reboot and let the wizard find the drivers which will now exist
    >
    > Win 98se prefers that the drivers for hardware are installed before the
    > hardware is
    >
    > If the NIC came from the bargain box (no cd)
    > power off
    > remove the nic
    > google search for the model and manufacturer by any/all serial numbers &
    > names on the NIC, not on chipsets on the card itself
    > download the drivers
    > install the drivers
    > power off
    > install the nic
    > reboot and let the wizard find the drivers which will now exist
    >
    > Common thread is that Win98 & se prefer that hardware drivers are
    installed
    > before the hardware is
    >
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use

    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters

    There is **nothing** printed on the card? I have never seen a completely
    blank NIC--there are generally some letters, numbers or a combination of
    both on it. Using the numbers/letters, do a google.com search

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se finds
    > the
    > new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
    >
    > I have 2 options here:
    >
    > 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
    > 2) searching via some storage
    >
    > The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on the
    > card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and
    > then
    > i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.
    >
    > I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
    >
    > What could i do now?
    >
    > regards

    All NIC's I've seen have the manufacturer printed on the card.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se finds the
    > new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
    >
    > I have 2 options here:
    >
    > 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
    > 2) searching via some storage
    >
    > The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on the
    > card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and then
    > i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.
    >
    > I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
    >
    > What could i do now?
    >
    > regards

Drivers Network Card Windows