Installing a network card

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b \ Driver
May 19, 2005 6:14:05 AM

Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se finds the
new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.

I have 2 options here:

1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
2) searching via some storage

The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on the
card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and then
i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.

I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.

What could i do now?

regards
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 19, 2005 9:28:23 AM

What I would do would be to search "The World of Windows Networking"
site: www.wown.com.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 19, 2005 2:08:37 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?UGludG8xdWs=?=" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se
> finds the new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
>
> I have 2 options here:
>
> 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
> 2) searching via some storage
>
> The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on
> the card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the
> manufacturer) and then i get a error saying cannot install the drivers
> for this device.
>
> I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
>
> What could i do now?
>
> regards

Use Everest <http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...; to
find out which NIC you have.
a b \ Driver
May 19, 2005 3:16:43 PM

"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se finds
the
> new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
>
> I have 2 options here:
>
> 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
> 2) searching via some storage
>
> The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on the
> card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and
then
> i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.
>
> I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
> What could i do now?
>
> regards

What CD, one that came with the nic or one the windows cd
If the cd came with the NIC
power off
remove the NIC, unscrew it and pull it out
reboot & use cd autorun to install drivers
power down
install Nic
reboot and let the wizard find the drivers which will now exist

Win 98se prefers that the drivers for hardware are installed before the
hardware is

If the NIC came from the bargain box (no cd)
power off
remove the nic
google search for the model and manufacturer by any/all serial numbers &
names on the NIC, not on chipsets on the card itself
download the drivers
install the drivers
power off
install the nic
reboot and let the wizard find the drivers which will now exist

Common thread is that Win98 & se prefer that hardware drivers are installed
before the hardware is

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
May 19, 2005 5:25:07 PM

It isn't that windows preferes the drivers be loaded before you install the
hardware. It is that windows 98 has a routine that stops windows from asking
for drivers everytime the computer is started. What this does is instal the
device as an unknown device wich will make trying to install the drivers
dificult if you aren't aware of this. When installing USB drivers however
you should have the driver loaded before pluging in the device. This is
primarily because of the unknowndevice situation.

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se
finds
> the
> > new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
> >
> > I have 2 options here:
> >
> > 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
> > 2) searching via some storage
> >
> > The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on
the
> > card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and
> then
> > i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.
> >
> > I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
> > What could i do now?
> >
> > regards
>
> What CD, one that came with the nic or one the windows cd
> If the cd came with the NIC
> power off
> remove the NIC, unscrew it and pull it out
> reboot & use cd autorun to install drivers
> power down
> install Nic
> reboot and let the wizard find the drivers which will now exist
>
> Win 98se prefers that the drivers for hardware are installed before the
> hardware is
>
> If the NIC came from the bargain box (no cd)
> power off
> remove the nic
> google search for the model and manufacturer by any/all serial numbers &
> names on the NIC, not on chipsets on the card itself
> download the drivers
> install the drivers
> power off
> install the nic
> reboot and let the wizard find the drivers which will now exist
>
> Common thread is that Win98 & se prefer that hardware drivers are
installed
> before the hardware is
>
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use

> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 20, 2005 1:08:42 PM

There is **nothing** printed on the card? I have never seen a completely
blank NIC--there are generally some letters, numbers or a combination of
both on it. Using the numbers/letters, do a google.com search

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i am trying to install a NIC into my computer. The windows 98se finds
> the
> new hardware and asks me to install the drivers.
>
> I have 2 options here:
>
> 1) searching for a manufactuere etc from a list
> 2) searching via some storage
>
> The problem is i dont know the manufacturer and there are no clues on the
> card itself. I tried pressing ok (if you dont know the manufacturer) and
> then
> i get a error saying cannot install the drivers for this device.
>
> I also tried finding the drivers via the CD with no luck.
>
> What could i do now?
>
> regards
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 21, 2005 6:50:07 PM

All NIC's I've seen have the manufacturer printed on the card.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

!