Apple Co-Founder Wants the iPhone 5 to Come in Two Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
This really was the big mistake apple made with the Iphone 5. T should have been sized to around 4.5 inches (like most Android handsets).
Hardware like cpu and gpu doens't matter that much anymore, if anything, to most consumers.

The only thing that really stands out as a dealbreaker is really the size of the screen itself.
We all know how much easier it is to type on a bigger screen. And web-browsing is much better on a bigger device.
So, Woz is spot on in this matter!

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Yup, my boss got the Iphone 5 and I picked it up.. and it was just so tiny. Not my type of phone, that's for sure. It's great for women with smaller hands though.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I want a battery life that makes the phone usable for a change. I had to drop in a battery that had 2.7x capacity in my Incredible, stock battery didn't cut it. And I don't think any stock smartphone will cut it for me. I use my phone for everything except the part about it being a phone generally, to me it's a tool and I want to be able to use it whenever I need it and not have to worry about battery life. Just wish a company get that one right for a change.

Don't need the slimmest thing on the market in fact make it slightly bulkier and in that extra bulk cram in a bigger battery, if they designed it with that in mind I don't see any reason why they can't increase battery life greatly while increasing bulk minimally.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I think the big phones look awkward personally. My 3.5 in screen is plenty for what I do, occassionaly surf, I don't watch movies or really read books on it, sometimes I read a book but I actually have a kindle and my ipad for that sort of stuff. My phone is my emergency net connection device , it's not my main viewer.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]I want a battery life that makes the phone usable for a change. I had to drop in a battery that had 2.7x capacity in my Incredible, stock battery didn't cut it. And I don't think any stock smartphone will cut it for me. I use my phone for everything except the part about it being a phone generally, to me it's a tool and I want to be able to use it whenever I need it and not have to worry about battery life. Just wish a company get that one right for a change.Don't need the slimmest thing on the market in fact make it slightly bulkier and in that extra bulk cram in a bigger battery, if they designed it with that in mind I don't see any reason why they can't increase battery life greatly while increasing bulk minimally.[/citation]

I totally agree with you. More battery and less thin.
If the phone keep getting slimmer they will be hard to pick up from a table. ^^

BTW the Galaxy Note has a huge battery and the Note 2 (3100 Mah I think) even more so. You can easily use it heavily all day.

halcyon

Splendid
The iPhone is not bad kit, the screen increase is nice and the phone is still quite pocket-able for those that place stock in that. However, the SGS3's screen is like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet. It's gorg-e-ous. Maybe, that's what makes it so hard to put down. Maybe its the luster of that huge slab of GorillaGlass2. Maybe its the slickness of ICS doing its thing. Who knows. Sooner or later more iPeople are going to start noticing these things...and Apple will be trying to play catch up as they appear to be doing with their 7" MiniPad.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Such unhealthy journalistic bias towards Apple!

There are thousands other tech companies coming out with actual innovative stuff!

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
"Steve Wozniak wishes the iPhone came in at least two sizes"

if jobs were still alive, he would have slapped you. one product in 2 sizes is fragmentation. the iphone 5 is already fragmented by being bigger and having a different connector. adding another model of the same product but in a different size would be even more fragmentation. jobs is rolling in his grave.

G

Yes Apple should make a big Fat Phone for the big and huge handed man, and they should call it the iWOZ. It should have pop-out gameing buttons on each end, an extra large battery, and a more powerfull cpu with a 6 core GPU!

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
The one thing I don't like about the Galaxy S3 is the size of it. Sure it has a big screen but it is just to damn big for a phone. I actually think Apple made the right choice this time by keeping the size down.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]I really hate Apple, always have, but I respect Wozniak. I have to say the guy is spot on.[/citation]
Yeah, I must say that Steve Jobs was an arrogant ass, but the woz has always been kinda cool.

halcyon

Splendid
@colson If you look at it as a phone first and foremost, then you have a point. However, so many of us use these things as small computers that they just happen to be able to make and receive calls from. From that perspective the size is fine. I think they're still called phones for lack of a better alternative.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I disagree completely. Its a phone, it has to fit in my pocket - I dont want bigger. If I want more screen real estate I'll buy a tablet.

Can't disagree with offering customers more choices though. Sales are certainly high enough to justify multiple models.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]I disagree completely. Its a phone, it has to fit in my pocket - I dont want bigger. If I want more screen real estate I'll buy a tablet. Can't disagree with offering customers more choices though. Sales are certainly high enough to justify multiple models.[/citation]
That's what's great about Android. Choice.

[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]Hardware like cpu and gpu doens't matter that much anymore, if anything, to most consumers. The only thing that really stands out as a dealbreaker is really the size of the screen itself.[/citation]
Well, there are obviously quite a lot of people who consider the lack of a stylized apple on the back of the phone to be more of a dealbreaker than the size of the screen... :p

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]I disagree completely. Its a phone, it has to fit in my pocket - I dont want bigger.[/citation]
You must have tiny pockets if smartphones pose a problem. I can fit a 7" tablet into the front pocket of my jeans. Do it all the time at the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.