intermittent programs freeze, msgsvr32 not responding

A friend is having problems with his computer. He hasn't installed any new
software or hardware in the last year or so. He states he keeps Norton AV up
to date, and Windows security updates (he has Win98se). His description:

Email works okay. Access to the Internet works okay. But some PC files won't
open at all; others take about 30 seconds to open; and the others open right
away.

He's getting a lot of "file not responding messages" when he does a
control-alt-delete after 20 seconds or so. And also alot of "msgsrv32 file
not responding" messages.

I see groups online saying it could be his power settings or it could be new
sound/modem cards etc. but those don't apply. He hasn't changed anything.

This happens when PC is in use (as you can tell) not when idle as most of
those other online group responses are responding to. I advised him to run
disk cleanup, defrag, double check last scan and definition updates, and try
turnining on power management/reboot, then turn off/reboot and see if either
helps or makes it worse. Also to come up in Safe mode once, then reboot
(remake the registry). So far no good responses.

Ideas welcome...
Ann in PA

I would do a clean boot and see if the problems go away. If so, then start enabling
startup items a half at a time till the problem returns. Then, disable half of that
group till you find the program that is causing the trouble.
See here for more details:
How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926

"CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ann Barnes" <barnesa_17201@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> A friend is having problems with his computer. He hasn't installed any new
> software or hardware in the last year or so. He states he keeps Norton AV up
> to date, and Windows security updates (he has Win98se). His description:
>
> Email works okay. Access to the Internet works okay. But some PC files won't
> open at all; others take about 30 seconds to open; and the others open right
> away.
>
> He's getting a lot of "file not responding messages" when he does a
> control-alt-delete after 20 seconds or so. And also alot of "msgsrv32 file
> not responding" messages.
>
> I see groups online saying it could be his power settings or it could be new
> sound/modem cards etc. but those don't apply. He hasn't changed anything.
>
> This happens when PC is in use (as you can tell) not when idle as most of
> those other online group responses are responding to. I advised him to run
> disk cleanup, defrag, double check last scan and definition updates, and try
> turnining on power management/reboot, then turn off/reboot and see if either
> helps or makes it worse. Also to come up in Safe mode once, then reboot
> (remake the registry). So far no good responses.
>
> Ideas welcome...
> Ann in PA

Thanks, glee, we'll be trying out your suggestion when he returns home from
a short vacation.

Ann in PA

Vacation?! What's that? ;-)
--

> Thanks, glee, we'll be trying out your suggestion when he returns home from
> a short vacation.
>
> Ann in PA

You take many in a day I'm sure. You do vacate from one place to another even if
it is only one step, don't you?

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

> Vacation?! What's that? ;-)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Ann Barnes" <barnesa_17201@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, glee, we'll be trying out your suggestion when he returns home from
>> a short vacation.
>>
>> Ann in PA

I THINK he goes into the bathroom for that, more than one step, after
every tenth burrito!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| You take many in a day I'm sure. You do vacate from one place to
another even if
| it is only one step, don't you?
|
| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko
| { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/
|

| "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > Vacation?! What's that? ;-)
| > --
| > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >

| > "Ann Barnes" <barnesa_17201@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| >> Thanks, glee, we'll be trying out your suggestion when he returns
home from
| >> a short vacation.
| >>
| >> Ann in PA

The bold "I think" doesn't keep you from being a Peeping Tom suspect!!

--

>I THINK he goes into the bathroom for that, more than one step, after
> every tenth burrito!
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> | You take many in a day I'm sure. You do vacate from one place to
> another even if
> | it is only one step, don't you?
> |
> | --
> |
> | Brian A. Sesko
> | { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> | Conflicts start where information lacks.
> | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> |

> | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> | > Vacation?! What's that? ;-)
> | > --
> | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | >

> | > "Ann Barnes" <barnesa_17201@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> home from

I'm just going by the smells!

--
| The bold "I think" doesn't keep you from being a Peeping Tom suspect!!
|
| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko
| { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/

| >I THINK he goes into the bathroom for that, more than one step, after
| > every tenth burrito!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > | You take many in a day I'm sure. You do vacate from one place to
| > another even if
| > | it is only one step, don't you?
| > |
| > | --