Sign in with
Your question

good overclockable motherboard for Socket 478 P4 2.4GHz

Last response: in Overclocking
April 28, 2006 1:01:15 AM

Hello Everyone! I'm new to Tom's Forumz. I've always been interested in computers; how they work and the inner workings of its components. So I'm gettin my hands "dirty" for the 1st time. I have an old P4 2.4GHz Socket 478 that I would like to overclock. I've read several guides on overclocking and pretty much know the basics. This is an old computer I have and not worried about frying the processor. I am very much interested in learning "how to overclock" this processor. This computer is 3 years old and I've lost its specs. All I remember is that it's a P4 2.4GHz w/a 533MHz FSB.

I know I need a motherboard that has good overclocking abilities. There are several that I've found on the web. Just not sure which ones have good abilities. For example:

1) Intel D865GVHZL Intel Socket 478 MicroATX Motherboard
2) Biostar P4M80M4 Via Socket 478 MicroATX Motherboard
3) Mach Speed Matrix P4M800 Via Socket 478 MicroATX Motherboard
4) MSI PM8M-V Via Socket 478 MicroATX Motherboard

These are just to name a few. Does anyone have suggestions?. Your replies are much appreciated!

Thanks...
April 28, 2006 1:47:10 AM

Well im using a P4B533-E from Asus I have my 2.4@3.4Ghz on air and the stock Intel cooler but CPU's and Mobo's are hard to say how well they will OC your milage may vary :)  Good luck with your OCing :) 
April 28, 2006 9:28:39 AM

that is all well and good but you may.....(may that is) have a hard time finding socket 478 motherboards these days....not sure but your choices could be limited
Related resources
April 28, 2006 11:14:17 AM

Hi There..my first post in here. I suggest Asus P4P800...good board. The
P4C800E is even better. I have both. I set up a Cel340D on the MachSpeed
board, for my dad, and wasn't impressed at all as far as O/C options, not to mention it's only a single channel board. I have a 2.4C Northwood on P4P...It's not a good chip, can only get 2.92 out of it with an XP-120. I also have a 2.4A 533 FSB on the P4C, and with the same cooler have been able to get 3.96 out of it. I don't know if yours is the A which is based on the Prescott core,or the B based on Northwood, but they are said to clock well also. Have Fun. :) 
April 28, 2006 11:34:13 AM

Also i've heard that the MachSpeed board is indeed made by Biostar, so i think they are essentially the same board. :roll:
April 28, 2006 11:57:17 AM

I haven't tried the vDroop mod yet...trying to work up the nerve 8O . I got the trimmers 6 months ago...but. At load my vCore droops from around 1.49 to 1.42. Sucks....
April 29, 2006 4:15:35 AM

does it have to be mATX size-wise ?

i used to use an MSI 845G Max, rock solid, always liked it. had 2 in fact.

Jeez, do they still sell socket 478 - 533 bus MB's ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

guess so !

the MSI 865 board got a big recognition with the classic MB Tsunami article about 3 years ago
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030707/index...

as far as i can tell, the MSI 865 board out overclocked everything, even the MSI 875 socket 478, in that particular socket 478 roundup.
April 30, 2006 12:35:46 PM

Abit IC7G.... You could also go for the IC7 version its just missing gigabit LAN. However Abit dont make these boards anymore and to find and buy a new one of these would be difficult. I find the BIOS in this boad is very OC friendly. Also the layout of the board is quite good
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2006 8:55:36 AM

Quote:
P4C800E is even better. I have both.

You have both and you swear by them? Then there are only two options:
1.) You're an idiot
2.) You're a liar

I had the P4C800-E Deluxe, nearly everyone who did any serious overclocking for any length of time beyond a few hours had to modify them to compensate for a faulty CPU VOLTAGE REGULATOR. Even THG modified their P4C800-E Deluxe.

Abit IS7 is better than Asus (name it). Experts who actually knew anything back then...knew that much. But by now most of these guys have moved on to other hobbies.
May 8, 2006 9:42:03 AM

Quote:
P4C800E is even better. I have both.

You have both and you swear by them? Then there are only two options:
1.) You're an idiot
2.) You're a liar

I had the P4C800-E Deluxe, nearly everyone who did any serious overclocking for any length of time beyond a few hours had to modify them to compensate for a faulty CPU VOLTAGE REGULATOR. Even THG modified their P4C800-E Deluxe.

Abit IS7 is better than Asus (name it). Experts who actually knew anything back then...knew that much. But by now most of these guys have moved on to other hobbies.

1. I didn't say i "swear by them", i said i thought they were good.

2. I don't lie, and if you think i'm an idiot.....well no skin off my back.

3. Reread his post, i missed the part where he said he's an expert

overclocker. He wants to mess around with an extra CPU....

4. Once the vDroop mod was done, they were pretty much the cat's

Ass.

5. If you're into "extreme" overclocking, ASUS aren't the only boards

that need mods, be it vDIMM, vCORE, or vAGP to get the absolute

most out of them.
May 18, 2006 12:09:27 AM

I have a IC7-G with a p4 2.8c and a couple of ddr466 by ocz, but never got any stability with a overclock, if i up the FSB to anything more than 200 it gets very unstable at full load, and i have a zalman 7000cu cooling it, so its not heat either. I got voltage up to 1.65, where i hear i is too dangerous to go further, so tell me, what´s wrong?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2006 7:03:31 AM

What did you set your memory voltage at?
May 18, 2006 10:40:00 AM

2.8, what was recommended by OCZ in its web site.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2006 10:55:29 AM

Have you looked around to find out if your RAM has a particular problem with this board?

The limitting factor in the IC7 was usually memory stability. Lots of people had various problems, as this board was designed for "best performance" assuming you'd find parts that could take the abuse.

Try dropping your memory speed just to test this idea, and see if you can get a reasonable overclock.
May 18, 2006 3:43:44 PM

Quote:
Have you looked around to find out if your RAM has a particular problem with this board?

The limitting factor in the IC7 was usually memory stability. Lots of people had various problems, as this board was designed for "best performance" assuming you'd find parts that could take the abuse.

Try dropping your memory speed just to test this idea, and see if you can get a reasonable overclock.

Thank you very much, your the first pernson who shed some light into my problem, I finaly got a stable overclock, but my RAM is a OCZ EL Series PC3700 DDR466 which should get at least to ddr466 right? So I´m starting to feel there´s something about the timings... The timings CPU-Z says my RAM have is 2.5 - 4 - 4 - 9, but in the BIOS I cant set 9, the maximum is 8... I have tried to set the maximum for all the values, but this doen´t bring me any stability either (By stability i mean not crashing while gameplay)
What would you recomend me? My BIOS version is the latest.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2006 3:58:59 PM

A maximum of 8? That doesn't sound right, tRAS should be adjustable to at least 12.

There are some other settings in BIOS that affect memory, something about performance mode or something like that. I think wusy or hardwareboss would remember.
May 18, 2006 4:19:08 PM

Yeah, there are some tweaks called game aceleration, that the bios say stresses memmory, but i leave that option as auto (since there´s no disable). But the thing abou timing is also a mistery to me. Here´s whats written in the BIOS:

Set timings by Auto SPD
CAS Latency 2.5
Act to Precharge Delay 5
RAS# to CAS# 2
RAS# Precharge 2

Act to Precharge Delay tops at 8, so i can´t set mine that should be 9 acording to CPU-Z.

I also tested a bit more of the overclock I could get with your tips, and although it was the most stable I ever got, it still crashes with Prime95 Torture test, while non overclock goes smoothly. Any advice is very welcome.
May 18, 2006 4:49:59 PM

I noticed that all of the boards that Game_Fanatic proposed are micrATX. Most of them have the VIA chipset as well. I don't know too much about how those boards perform. What I do know is that my MSI 865PE NEO-2 Platinum Edition has been a really good overclocker. It also has gigabit ethernet.

I have my 2.8C (800fsb/HT/512k L2) at 3.5GHz on stock voltage. I have to use a 5:4 divider on the memory because my PC3200 won't run at PC4000 speeds.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2006 5:40:42 PM

From the first post, the first board he listed was not overclockable by more than like 2.5% (burn-in setting), and the rest are garbage.
May 18, 2006 7:30:04 PM

Quote:
From the first post, the first board he listed was not overclockable by more than like 2.5% (burn-in setting), and the rest are garbage.

This is true. :) 
May 18, 2006 7:40:11 PM

Did you set all of the timings as close to the rated timings as possible?

You could try using a memory divider to establish wether or not the memory is actually what is causing you problems.
May 19, 2006 11:00:09 AM

I've had 2 p4 chips on 2 different mobos .

my first was a 2.2P4 on a gigabyte Ga-8xxx model (will edit when i get home to check the manuel) - i overclock by 600mhz on air to 2.8 ran superbly

the 2nd was 2.8 clocked to 3.1 on asus p4p800 deluxe - superb board
May 19, 2006 7:20:53 PM

How should I disable it?? Seting it to Auto is the closest to disable that the BIOS will let me do. About the timing, would you know how to set it to 9?
!