Philips PCRW804

Yesterday I posted a question about my CD-ROM drives, and fixed one of my
problems, but now I have another...

I've got two drives, a Samsung Model SC-140 (which is working fine now) and
a Philips PCRW804 CD-RW drive (which isn't).

It shows up in Device Manager, and it says that it's "working properly", but
it isn't. When I try to access it, either through My Computer or EasyCD
Creator I get a "device not accessible - Quit/Retry" error.

I've tried to update the ANSI with some software I found online, but it
didn't work. And to tell you the truth, even though I followed the
instructions in the readme file, I don't really understand what I was doing.

Philips doesn't have any driver info listed on their website for my
particular model, and a Yahoo search didn't pull up anything useful.

I'd like to get this drive working so I can save some files to it before I
install Windows XP tonight (which is going to be a whole 'nuther problem, I'm
sure).

Thanks,

Steven
nickdanger_99@yahoo.com

"OblioDanger" <OblioDanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I've got two drives, a Samsung Model SC-140 (which is working fine now)
and
> a Philips PCRW804 CD-RW drive (which isn't).
>
> It shows up in Device Manager, and it says that it's "working properly",
but
> it isn't. When I try to access it, either through My Computer or EasyCD
> Creator I get a "device not accessible - Quit/Retry" error.
>
> I've tried to update the ANSI with some software I found online, but it
> didn't work. And to tell you the truth, even though I followed the
> instructions in the readme file, I don't really understand what I was
doing.

> Philips doesn't have any driver info listed on their website for my
> particular model, and a Yahoo search didn't pull up anything useful.

1. ANSI is a DOS writing protocol available under Win98 but not required.
It has nothing to do with testing or running CD drives.
2. Under Win98 CD drive read functions are not supposed to
need any device driver. (CD drive write functions require
drivers, supplied with writing software, usually bundled free
with CD R/W drives.)

> I'd like to get this drive working so I can save some files to it before I
> install Windows XP tonight (which is going to be a whole 'nuther problem,
I'm
> sure).

All CD drives simply die sooner or later. The fastest way
to test whether this drive (a) reads OK, (b) can write to disk
is to instal it into another PC in place of a CD you know
is connected OK and works OK.

If you need to save files before reformatting for XP, you
may find a second hard drive is faster than configuring
a CD drive that you are not sure is intact.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

What has changed since the last time it was working?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)