Weird - pressing F2 while booting avoids safe mode startup

This is really weird:

I was trying to fix someone's computer today - it insisted on starting
in safe mode despite the fact that hardware manager showed no
conflicts. I ran scandisk. No change. I thought I'd better do a
bootlog so pressed f8 on startup - no menu - just started in safe
mode.

Tried holding down f2 to on bootup to see what the bios situation
looked like - no bios but, to my great surprise, windows started
normally - and performed normally with applications, IE, etc.

Rebooted - back to safe mode.

Rebooted whilst holding down f2 and windows starts normally.

I haven't a clue what the fault can be, nor why holding down f2 makes
it happy.

During bootup, there are some rattling noises from the tower - in both
the safe mode startup and in the full windows boot - the owner says
she didn't have them before 'the troubles'.

Has anyone got a clue as to what is going on here?
4 answers Last reply
More about weird pressing booting avoids safe mode startup

    The first thing I'd do is determine the brand of the hard drive, go to the
    maker's web site, download their diagnostic software which runs from a
    floppy disk and check the health of the hard drive. That rattling noise
    sounds serious.

    Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=143283

    The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306615

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote:

    >The first thing I'd do is determine the brand of the hard drive, go to the
    >maker's web site, download their diagnostic software which runs from a
    >floppy disk and check the health of the hard drive. That rattling noise
    >sounds serious.
    >
    >Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=143283
    >
    >The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306615

    As ever, you are there with thoughtful help. Many thanks, Ron, for
    both references and advice regarding the hard drive.

    Are you sure F2 is the proper key to press to enter the BIOS in the machine?
    Although odd that F8 boots directly to SM, if you want to get the menu:

    Once in SM or Normal:
    Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press Enter
    Under the General tab click the Advanced button
    Put a check next to "Enable startup menu..."
    Apply > Ok out.

    No need to reboot yet unless you want. All new boots/reboots will now go
    directly to the Startup Menu.

    As Ron mentioned you may have a concern with the HD. You may also want to open
    the case, have a look at the fans to make sure they are not the source of the
    noise and that they are functioning properly.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:

    > Are you sure F2 is the proper key to press to enter the BIOS in the machine?
    >Although odd that F8 boots directly to SM, if you want to get the menu:

    No, not sure at all - there seems no uniformity on which key to use -
    I didn't try the control key - but the point was that, having tried
    the F2 key, the OS booted into normal windows and seemed happy from
    there on. I think that's weird, don't you.

    I guess that the noise at startup suggests that it is in running the
    boot sector that the HDD is unhappy - if, indeed, the noise is from
    the HDD. Next session on this problem I will disconnect the floppy
    and CDROM, just to be sure. I'll also look into the possibility that
    a fan is the problem.

    There would need to be an explanation for the noise only occurring
    during boot up. No sign of it when loading Word, for example.

    Thanks also for the reminder about setting the menu in msconfig.

    Many, many thanks for the help.

Safe Mode Internet Explorer Windows