Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Weird - pressing F2 while booting avoids safe mode startup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 20, 2005 10:40:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

This is really weird:

I was trying to fix someone's computer today - it insisted on starting
in safe mode despite the fact that hardware manager showed no
conflicts. I ran scandisk. No change. I thought I'd better do a
bootlog so pressed f8 on startup - no menu - just started in safe
mode.

Tried holding down f2 to on bootup to see what the bios situation
looked like - no bios but, to my great surprise, windows started
normally - and performed normally with applications, IE, etc.

Rebooted - back to safe mode.

Rebooted whilst holding down f2 and windows starts normally.

I haven't a clue what the fault can be, nor why holding down f2 makes
it happy.

During bootup, there are some rattling noises from the tower - in both
the safe mode startup and in the full windows boot - the owner says
she didn't have them before 'the troubles'.

Has anyone got a clue as to what is going on here?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:40:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

The first thing I'd do is determine the brand of the hard drive, go to the
maker's web site, download their diagnostic software which runs from a
floppy disk and check the health of the hard drive. That rattling noise
sounds serious.

Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=143283

The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306615




--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo

"John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
news:9q7s81d174n00t987se955ubuuu5i296k4@4ax.com...
> This is really weird:
>
> I was trying to fix someone's computer today - it insisted on starting
> in safe mode despite the fact that hardware manager showed no
> conflicts. I ran scandisk. No change. I thought I'd better do a
> bootlog so pressed f8 on startup - no menu - just started in safe
> mode.
>
> Tried holding down f2 to on bootup to see what the bios situation
> looked like - no bios but, to my great surprise, windows started
> normally - and performed normally with applications, IE, etc.
>
> Rebooted - back to safe mode.
>
> Rebooted whilst holding down f2 and windows starts normally.
>
> I haven't a clue what the fault can be, nor why holding down f2 makes
> it happy.
>
> During bootup, there are some rattling noises from the tower - in both
> the safe mode startup and in the full windows boot - the owner says
> she didn't have them before 'the troubles'.
>
> Has anyone got a clue as to what is going on here?
May 21, 2005 12:55:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote:

>The first thing I'd do is determine the brand of the hard drive, go to the
>maker's web site, download their diagnostic software which runs from a
>floppy disk and check the health of the hard drive. That rattling noise
>sounds serious.
>
>Windows 98 or Windows 95 Defaults to Safe Mode
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=143283
>
>The Computer Always Starts in Safe Mode
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306615


As ever, you are there with thoughtful help. Many thanks, Ron, for
both references and advice regarding the hard drive.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:15:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Are you sure F2 is the proper key to press to enter the BIOS in the machine?
Although odd that F8 boots directly to SM, if you want to get the menu:

Once in SM or Normal:
Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press Enter
Under the General tab click the Advanced button
Put a check next to "Enable startup menu..."
Apply > Ok out.

No need to reboot yet unless you want. All new boots/reboots will now go
directly to the Startup Menu.

As Ron mentioned you may have a concern with the HD. You may also want to open
the case, have a look at the fans to make sure they are not the source of the
noise and that they are functioning properly.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/



"John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
news:9q7s81d174n00t987se955ubuuu5i296k4@4ax.com...
> This is really weird:
>
> I was trying to fix someone's computer today - it insisted on starting
> in safe mode despite the fact that hardware manager showed no
> conflicts. I ran scandisk. No change. I thought I'd better do a
> bootlog so pressed f8 on startup - no menu - just started in safe
> mode.
>
> Tried holding down f2 to on bootup to see what the bios situation
> looked like - no bios but, to my great surprise, windows started
> normally - and performed normally with applications, IE, etc.
>
> Rebooted - back to safe mode.
>
> Rebooted whilst holding down f2 and windows starts normally.
>
> I haven't a clue what the fault can be, nor why holding down f2 makes
> it happy.
>
> During bootup, there are some rattling noises from the tower - in both
> the safe mode startup and in the full windows boot - the owner says
> she didn't have them before 'the troubles'.
>
> Has anyone got a clue as to what is going on here?
May 22, 2005 2:18:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote:

> Are you sure F2 is the proper key to press to enter the BIOS in the machine?
>Although odd that F8 boots directly to SM, if you want to get the menu:

No, not sure at all - there seems no uniformity on which key to use -
I didn't try the control key - but the point was that, having tried
the F2 key, the OS booted into normal windows and seemed happy from
there on. I think that's weird, don't you.

I guess that the noise at startup suggests that it is in running the
boot sector that the HDD is unhappy - if, indeed, the noise is from
the HDD. Next session on this problem I will disconnect the floppy
and CDROM, just to be sure. I'll also look into the possibility that
a fan is the problem.

There would need to be an explanation for the noise only occurring
during boot up. No sign of it when loading Word, for example.

Thanks also for the reminder about setting the menu in msconfig.

Many, many thanks for the help.
!