Strange problem.

Joe

Not a strange problem really I'm sure. I just don't know how to get out of
it :)

I run 98se and have 2 hard drives. I decided to install Win2000 on my second
drive to see how it was then decided against using it. During installation I
requested NTFS. Having abandoned this project I am now back with my original
98se installation and the second drive ( ex win2000 ) is installed and can
be seen during post etc... but I cannot "see" it from win98se ( presumably
because of NTFS ) How do I get to the drive to reformat it as FAT32 ??

Hope this makes sense - any help greatly appreciated.

"joe" <joe@jj.com> wrote in message news:d6ndha$7pv$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...

> I run 98se and have 2 hard drives. I decided to install Win2000 on my
second
> drive to see how it was then decided against using it. During installation
> requested NTFS. Having abandoned this project I am now back with my
original
> 98se installation and the second drive ( ex win2000 ) is installed and can
> be seen during post etc... but I cannot "see" it from win98se ( presumably
> because of NTFS ) How do I get to the drive to reformat it as FAT32 ??

1. Use Win2K FDISK to remove partition(s).
2. Use Win98 FDISK to create and format partition(s).

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Joe

Thanks Don

Small problem. I can no longer get into Win2000, can that FDISK be
extracted from the CD ?
Thanx for your help

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "joe" <joe@jj.com> wrote in message
>
> > I run 98se and have 2 hard drives. I decided to install Win2000 on my
> second
> > drive to see how it was then decided against using it. During
installation
> > requested NTFS. Having abandoned this project I am now back with my
> original
> > 98se installation and the second drive ( ex win2000 ) is installed and
can
> > be seen during post etc... but I cannot "see" it from win98se (
presumably
> > because of NTFS ) How do I get to the drive to reformat it as FAT32 ??
>
> 1. Use Win2K FDISK to remove partition(s).
> 2. Use Win98 FDISK to create and format partition(s).
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

_generally speaking_..

Boot with a win98 DOS startup floppy and run fdisk, saying "yes" to "large disk
support". Select the 2nd drive and delete the "non-dos" partition.

Create an extended partition in its place. Create a "logical" within that.
Exit fdisk, reboot and format the drive from windows explorer.

I don't know the exact syntax of any of these steps, as I seldom
use fdisk, but that should give you the general idea.

"joe" <joe@jj.com> wrote in message news:d6nh84$fdn$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Thanks Don
>
> Small problem. I can no longer get into Win2000, can that FDISK be
> extracted from the CD ?
> Thanx for your help
>
> "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
>> "joe" <joe@jj.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > I run 98se and have 2 hard drives. I decided to install Win2000 on my
>> second
>> > drive to see how it was then decided against using it. During
> installation
>> > requested NTFS. Having abandoned this project I am now back with my
>> original
>> > 98se installation and the second drive ( ex win2000 ) is installed and
> can
>> > be seen during post etc... but I cannot "see" it from win98se (
> presumably
>> > because of NTFS ) How do I get to the drive to reformat it as FAT32 ??
>>
>> 1. Use Win2K FDISK to remove partition(s).
>> 2. Use Win98 FDISK to create and format partition(s).
>>
>> --
>> Don Phillipson
>> Carlsbad Springs
>> (Ottawa, Canada)

You can get one here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Please read the Read Me in the right frame for instructions on extracting/using
the downloads.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> _generally speaking_..
>
> Boot with a win98 DOS startup floppy and run fdisk, saying "yes" to "large
> disk
> support". Select the 2nd drive and delete the "non-dos" partition.
>
> Create an extended partition in its place. Create a "logical" within that.
> Exit fdisk, reboot and format the drive from windows explorer.
>
> I don't know the exact syntax of any of these steps, as I seldom
> use fdisk, but that should give you the general idea.

There really isn't any once you enter FDISK. Choices in fdisk are made by
selecting #'s and pressing Enter other than giving the volume a name, which of
course is typed in. Once finished with fdisk, simply reboot and then format or
press ESC to back out to the DOS prompt.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Joe

Sorry Don

After doing some more exploring ( I am not very adept at this sort of
thing ) I found the following option in win98 FDISK

Change Current fixed Drive

When I selected this I could suddenly see the ntfs partition and was able to
delete and rebuild etc....

Sorry for the confusion, maybe other inexperienced users can learn from
this.

Thanx again