Windows Media Player Resolution?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 21, 2005 2:01:01 PM

I am running windows 98. I have the latest version of Windows Media Player
for Win 98. The resolution in my display folder is set to 16 bit because of
a new printer I installed. Is this affecting the resolution of my media
player? The reason I ask is because I subscribe to mlb.tv to watch baseball
but the screen is so dark, it's hard to see what's going on. Is this a
control panel issue? Monitor? Video Card? Windows?
--
Thanks for taking the time.
Anonymous

The resolution in Display will affect all of Windows and any applications,
select a higher resolution and apply it.

If you are unable to get/apply any higher resolutions you need to reinstall your
video chip/adapter drivers. Your best bet is to go to the device manufacturers
site and download/install the latest updated drivers per their instructions.

If you do not know the make/model of your video chip/adapter,
download/install/run the free Everest Home Edition to help identify it:
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

If that doesn't identify it properly you will need to remove the cover from the
case and physically look at the chip/adapter for any identifying names or
numbers. If you need to access the chip/adapter this way, make sure you keep one
hand on the case to keep any static buildup from causing any damage by arcing
from your body to anything in the case.

Once you have any identifying names/numbers, go to the manufacturers site for
the latest updated drivers. If you need further assistance, post back with
any/all new info you have.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running windows 98. I have the latest version of Windows Media Player
> for Win 98. The resolution in my display folder is set to 16 bit because of
> a new printer I installed. Is this affecting the resolution of my media
> player? The reason I ask is because I subscribe to mlb.tv to watch baseball
> but the screen is so dark, it's hard to see what's going on. Is this a
> control panel issue? Monitor? Video Card? Windows?
> --
> Thanks for taking the time.
May 22, 2005 12:41:02 PM

I downloaded the Everest Home Edition, but I am not sure if my chipset is
still supported by Intel. It wasn't listed. Also, the other images besides
from mlb.tv are darker than normal. I wonder if there's a way to adjust the
brightness or quality of the resolution. When I choose a higher resolution
that's not 16 bit or 24 bit, the computer restarts in safe mode and the
colors appear distorted.

"Brian A." wrote:

> The resolution in Display will affect all of Windows and any applications,
> select a higher resolution and apply it.
>
> If you are unable to get/apply any higher resolutions you need to reinstall your
> video chip/adapter drivers. Your best bet is to go to the device manufacturers
> site and download/install the latest updated drivers per their instructions.
>
> If you do not know the make/model of your video chip/adapter,
> download/install/run the free Everest Home Edition to help identify it:
> http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
>

> If that doesn't identify it properly you will need to remove the cover from the
> case and physically look at the chip/adapter for any identifying names or
> numbers. If you need to access the chip/adapter this way, make sure you keep one
> hand on the case to keep any static buildup from causing any damage by arcing
> from your body to anything in the case.
>
> Once you have any identifying names/numbers, go to the manufacturers site for
> the latest updated drivers. If you need further assistance, post back with
> any/all new info you have.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>

> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running windows 98. I have the latest version of Windows Media Player
> > for Win 98. The resolution in my display folder is set to 16 bit because of
> > a new printer I installed. Is this affecting the resolution of my media
> > player? The reason I ask is because I subscribe to mlb.tv to watch baseball
> > but the screen is so dark, it's hard to see what's going on. Is this a
> > control panel issue? Monitor? Video Card? Windows?
> > --
> > Thanks for taking the time.

May 22, 2005 3:57:29 PM

I would be very surprised if you could tell the difference between 16-bit
and 32-bit display resolution, especially with streamed video. If other
images and the normal desktop are bright enough to use, then you should
contact your subscription service for advice on adjusting the brightness of
the received images.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running windows 98. I have the latest version of Windows Media Player
> for Win 98. The resolution in my display folder is set to 16 bit because
> of
> a new printer I installed. Is this affecting the resolution of my media
> player? The reason I ask is because I subscribe to mlb.tv to watch
> baseball
> but the screen is so dark, it's hard to see what's going on. Is this a
> control panel issue? Monitor? Video Card? Windows?
> --
> Thanks for taking the time.
May 22, 2005 3:57:30 PM

That's jus it, all the other images, pictures, desktop backgrounds, etc. are
way too dark. Very difficult to see. Could it be a monitor issue? Maybe
video card?

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> I would be very surprised if you could tell the difference between 16-bit
> and 32-bit display resolution, especially with streamed video. If other
> images and the normal desktop are bright enough to use, then you should
> contact your subscription service for advice on adjusting the brightness of
> the received images.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running windows 98. I have the latest version of Windows Media Player
> > for Win 98. The resolution in my display folder is set to 16 bit because
> > of
> > a new printer I installed. Is this affecting the resolution of my media
> > player? The reason I ask is because I subscribe to mlb.tv to watch
> > baseball
> > but the screen is so dark, it's hard to see what's going on. Is this a
> > control panel issue? Monitor? Video Card? Windows?
> > --
> > Thanks for taking the time.

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:07:45 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=127139
Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows

"START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then uncheck "VGA
640x480x16", & reboot.

"Control Panel, Display, Settings tab". Select as you wish from the
Colors dropdown menu & the Size slider. Really, you should need nothing
higher than "High Color (16 bit)", for speed/resource considerations.

If you move the Screen Area slider to 1024x768 there, be sure to click
the Advanced button, & select Large fonts.

Try to get your colors/size at least twice that way. If it continues to
fail, you may need to reinstall your Monitor or Display Adapter...

For the Monitor...
(1) Boot to Safe Mode
(Hold F5 as you boot or CTRL for the Startup Menu)
(2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
(3) Open the Monitors branch, & Remove all entries.

Perhaps, FIRST, even in Normal Mode, note what is installed
similar to below for the Adapter. That is...
(a) D-Clk the monitor there for Properties, Driver tab.
(b) Click the Update Driver button, then "Next".
(c) Bolt "Display a list...", & click "Next".
(d) Bolt "Show all hardware".
Examine the two panes to see what is currently installed.
That is likely what you wish to end up with, after step (4).

(4) Boot to Normal Mode.

Hopefully, it will be rediscovered & installed. Then, if still
necessary, here is the rigmarole of the Display Adapter...

.......Quote..........
The first thing to do is to remove the video adapter you have
installed. Right-click on the desktop; choose "Properties" from the
drop-down menu; select "Settings;" click on the "Advanced" button; and
click on "Adapter". An adapter is a program that tells Windows how to
deal with a specific video card. Make note of the adapter that is
currently installed. Then, change the adapter to "Standard Display
Adapter (VGA)" and restart the system.

[That is: Click "Change, Next, bolt 'Display a List...', Next, bolt
'Show all hardware', scroll left pane to top, select '(Standard display
types)', select 'Standard Display Adapter (VGA)' in right pane, click
'Next'"... PCR]

This will remove the current adapter and replace it with a generic VGA
adapter that works with all video cards. You will not like VGA because
it supports only 16 colors, but the purpose of installing it is to get
rid of whatever was there before.

Next, return to the adapter screen and install an adapter that matches
your video card. This may or may not be the adapter that you are
using now. Examine the materials you received with your computer to
see if they include a CD-ROM or floppy disk that contains the correct
video adapter. Or go to the Gateway website and see if they have an
adapter for you to download. Or check the website of the company that
made your video card.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
.......End....of quote....

Also...
..........Quote................
To identify your video adapter correctly, download and run either the
Everest or Aida32 utility, available here:
http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#everest

Once you have identified the display adapter, go to the manufacturer's
web site and download the correct driver for you operating
system....(such as) Windows 98/98SE.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I am running windows 98. I have the latest version of Windows Media
Player
| for Win 98. The resolution in my display folder is set to 16 bit
because of
| a new printer I installed. Is this affecting the resolution of my
media
| player? The reason I ask is because I subscribe to mlb.tv to watch
baseball
| but the screen is so dark, it's hard to see what's going on. Is this
| control panel issue? Monitor? Video Card? Windows?
| --
| Thanks for taking the time.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 7:33:34 PM

Please post the Everest results in this thread.

To find the Everest info you need to post, run the Everest program, and click
the + sign next to Computer on the left side of your screen then click Summary.

Then Right click the information on the *right* side of your screen and select
Copy. You can then paste the information in Notepad or paste it directly to this
newsgroup.

Everest will tell you a lot about what's inside your PC. In addition to telling
us the *Brand and Model Number* of your computer, please post back the
information Everest reports for your:

Motherboard

CPU

Chipset

Display PCI/AGP Video

Display GPU

This information will assist us in finding the correct video drivers, and
directing you to the video card manufacturer's website so you can download and
install them.

*** IMPORTANT *** Remember to tell us the *Brand and Model Number* of your
computer which is printed on your PC case or is listed in the manual that came
with your computer.

--

>I downloaded the Everest Home Edition, but I am not sure if my chipset is
> still supported by Intel. It wasn't listed. Also, the other images besides
> from mlb.tv are darker than normal. I wonder if there's a way to adjust the
> brightness or quality of the resolution. When I choose a higher resolution
> that's not 16 bit or 24 bit, the computer restarts in safe mode and the
> colors appear distorted.
>
> "Brian A." wrote:
>
>> The resolution in Display will affect all of Windows and any applications,
>> select a higher resolution and apply it.
>>
>> If you are unable to get/apply any higher resolutions you need to reinstall
>> your
>> video chip/adapter drivers. Your best bet is to go to the device
>> manufacturers
>> site and download/install the latest updated drivers per their instructions.
>>
>> If you do not know the make/model of your video chip/adapter,
>> download/install/run the free Everest Home Edition to help identify it:
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
>>

>> If that doesn't identify it properly you will need to remove the cover from
>> the
>> case and physically look at the chip/adapter for any identifying names or
>> numbers. If you need to access the chip/adapter this way, make sure you keep
>> one
>> hand on the case to keep any static buildup from causing any damage by arcing
>> from your body to anything in the case.
>>
>> Once you have any identifying names/numbers, go to the manufacturers site
>> for
>> the latest updated drivers. If you need further assistance, post back with
>> any/all new info you have.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>

>> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am running windows 98. I have the latest version of Windows Media Player
>> > for Win 98. The resolution in my display folder is set to 16 bit because
>> > of
>> > a new printer I installed. Is this affecting the resolution of my media
>> > player? The reason I ask is because I subscribe to mlb.tv to watch
>> > baseball
>> > but the screen is so dark, it's hard to see what's going on. Is this a
>> > control panel issue? Monitor? Video Card? Windows?
>> > --
>> > Thanks for taking the time.

May 22, 2005 7:33:35 PM

Brian,
Here's the information I got from Everest. The brand of computer I have is
Voxon but I don't think they still make computers.

Field Value
CPU Type Intel Pentium II, 350 MHz (3.5 x 100)
Field Value
Motherboard Name QDI BrillianX I (3 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Field Value
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX
Device Description Device Type
Intel i740 Video Adapter
Device Description Device Type
Intel i740 3D Accelerator
Device Description
AGP 2x: Intel i740 [A-2]
Field Value
Graphics Processor Properties
Video Adapter Intel i740 [A-2]
GPU Code Name i740
PCI Device 8086 / 7800
Transistors 3.5 million
Process Technology 0.35u
Bus Type AGP 2x
Memory Size 8 MB
GPU Clock 66 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 220 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 1
TMU Per Pipeline 1
Vertex Shaders Not Supported
Pixel Shaders Not Supported
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v6.0
Pixel Fillrate 66 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 66 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Graphics Processor Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/graphics

"Brian A." wrote:

> [...]
> >> http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
> >>

> >> If that doesn't identify it properly you will need to remove the cover from
> >> the
> >> case and physically look at the chip/adapter for any identifying names or
> >> numbers. If you need to access the chip/adapter this way, make sure you keep
> >> one
> >> hand on the case to keep any static buildup from causing any damage by arcing
> >> from your body to anything in the case.
> >>
> >> Once you have any identifying names/numbers, go to the manufacturers site
> >> for
> >> the latest updated drivers. If you need further assistance, post back with
> >> any/all new info you have.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko
> >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:07:24 AM

First I suggest trying to update the driver from Device Manager.
Right click MyComputer > click Properties > Device Manager tab
Click the + next to Display Adapters
Double click the listed adapter to open it's properties
Click the Driver tab > Update Driver button > Next button
Do not search for a better driver, put a tic next to Display a list of all
drivers....... and click Next
If your driver is in the list of compatible drivers, select it and click Next.
If your driver is not in the list of compatible drivers put a tic next to Show
all Hardware, if it is listed in Intel select it and click Next.

If it was not found:
Try QDI's support site for the BrilliantX 1 mobo:
http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/index.htm

Also try Intel's for the 440BX chipset or the 740 graphics accelerator:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Sup...

Download/Install the drivers per the manufacturers instructions.

--

> [...]
>> computer which is printed on your PC case or is listed in the manual that
>> came
>> with your computer.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>

>> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I downloaded the Everest Home Edition, but I am not sure if my chipset is
>> > still supported by Intel. It wasn't listed. Also, the other images besides
>> > from mlb.tv are darker than normal. I wonder if there's a way to adjust
>> > the
>> > brightness or quality of the resolution. When I choose a higher resolution
>> > that's not 16 bit or 24 bit, the computer restarts in safe mode and the

May 23, 2005 11:12:05 AM

I will try your suggestions and I'll post back sometime today with the
results. Thanks for helping.

"Brian A." wrote:

> [...]
> >> information Everest reports for your:
> >>
> >> Motherboard
> >>
> >> CPU
> >>
> >> Chipset
> >>
> >> Display PCI/AGP Video
> >>
> >> Display GPU
> >>
> >> This information will assist us in finding the correct video drivers, and
> >> directing you to the video card manufacturer's website so you can download
> >> and
> >> install them.
> >>
> >> *** IMPORTANT *** Remember to tell us the *Brand and Model Number* of your
> >> computer which is printed on your PC case or is listed in the manual that
> >> came
> >> with your computer.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko
> >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:12:21 AM

What happens if you turn the monitor brightness up?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> That's jus it, all the other images, pictures, desktop backgrounds, etc.
> are
> way too dark. Very difficult to see. Could it be a monitor issue? Maybe
> video card?
May 24, 2005 2:23:28 AM

I made a big mistake today. I went to the Intel website and wasn't able to
find what looked like appropriate drivers for my video card. So I went ahead
(like I shouldn't have) and re - installed windows 98 after formatting my
hard drive. I wanted to start over and see what happened. Now I only have
something called a VGA adapter and a choice between 2 and 16 colors. Screen
width/resolution is something like 640 X 840? Now I am stuck. I have been
unsuccessful in downloading/ unzipping, etc., drivers that I need. Now I
don't even have the option for more colors. Would you happen to know what my
next move might be?

Larry

"Brian A." wrote:

> [...]
> >> information Everest reports for your:
> >>
> >> Motherboard
> >>
> >> CPU
> >>
> >> Chipset
> >>
> >> Display PCI/AGP Video
> >>
> >> Display GPU
> >>
> >> This information will assist us in finding the correct video drivers, and
> >> directing you to the video card manufacturer's website so you can download
> >> and
> >> install them.
> >>
> >> *** IMPORTANT *** Remember to tell us the *Brand and Model Number* of your
> >> computer which is printed on your PC case or is listed in the manual that
> >> came
> >> with your computer.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko
> >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:17:36 AM

Your next move is to install the correct drivers for your video adapter
card. If you have located the drivers at a download site, describe the
exact procedure you are following to download and install them, and describe
exactly where and how the procedure goes wrong.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>I made a big mistake today. I went to the Intel website and wasn't able to
> find what looked like appropriate drivers for my video card. So I went
> ahead
> (like I shouldn't have) and re - installed windows 98 after formatting my
> hard drive. I wanted to start over and see what happened. Now I only
> have
> something called a VGA adapter and a choice between 2 and 16 colors.
> Screen
> width/resolution is something like 640 X 840? Now I am stuck. I have
> been
> unsuccessful in downloading/ unzipping, etc., drivers that I need. Now I
> don't even have the option for more colors. Would you happen to know what
> my
> next move might be?
May 25, 2005 12:17:37 AM

I found the Intel site and then navigated for drivers for the i740 graphics
accelerator something or other. When I download a driver, they come in
zipped files. Not sure how to use these files. I don't have winzip, and I
never know where they should be unzipped. Also, I have the web accelerator
cd, but when I try to use it, I only get the option to install different
applications called Terra, and some others that I forget the name of. On the
disc it says it has drivers etc., but I am not able to get them.

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> Your next move is to install the correct drivers for your video adapter
> card. If you have located the drivers at a download site, describe the
> exact procedure you are following to download and install them, and describe
> exactly where and how the procedure goes wrong.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I made a big mistake today. I went to the Intel website and wasn't able to
> > find what looked like appropriate drivers for my video card. So I went
> > ahead
> > (like I shouldn't have) and re - installed windows 98 after formatting my
> > hard drive. I wanted to start over and see what happened. Now I only
> > have
> > something called a VGA adapter and a choice between 2 and 16 colors.
> > Screen
> > width/resolution is something like 640 X 840? Now I am stuck. I have
> > been
> > unsuccessful in downloading/ unzipping, etc., drivers that I need. Now I
> > don't even have the option for more colors. Would you happen to know what
> > my
> > next move might be?

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:17:38 AM

Since you reformatted/reinstalled, you may also need the IntelInfoSetup only if
required, which you can get from the same site for your mobo. Try without it
first.

You can get 21 day evaluation of WinZip:
http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm

For the graphics drivers:
Create a new folder on your desktop.
Extract the files to the folder on the desktop.
Double click on extracted setup.exe
Follow the rest of the steps if any.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/
May 25, 2005 3:28:01 AM

I was able to unzip and install the necessary driver. I have full
functionality in terms of colors: 16 and 24 bit as well as 256 and all
screen size/resolutions. I guess I am back to my original issue of my media
player and other images appearing dark. i think my hp 4200 printer is the
reason. It requires 16 bit colors for installation and all. Not sure, but
it's my recent guess. Maybe my monitor is old as well. It's a :Hansol.
What do you think?

"Brian A." wrote:

> Since you reformatted/reinstalled, you may also need the IntelInfoSetup only if
> required, which you can get from the same site for your mobo. Try without it
> first.
>
> You can get 21 day evaluation of WinZip:
> http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm
>
> For the graphics drivers:
> Create a new folder on your desktop.
> Extract the files to the folder on the desktop.
> Double click on extracted setup.exe
> Follow the rest of the steps if any.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:00:32 PM

Have you tried Richards suggestion on upping the brightness with the monitor
controls?

--

>I was able to unzip and install the necessary driver. I have full
> functionality in terms of colors: 16 and 24 bit as well as 256 and all
> screen size/resolutions. I guess I am back to my original issue of my media
> player and other images appearing dark. i think my hp 4200 printer is the
> reason. It requires 16 bit colors for installation and all. Not sure, but
> it's my recent guess. Maybe my monitor is old as well. It's a :Hansol.
> What do you think?
>
> "Brian A." wrote:
>
>> Since you reformatted/reinstalled, you may also need the IntelInfoSetup only
>> if
>> required, which you can get from the same site for your mobo. Try without it
>> first.
>>
>> You can get 21 day evaluation of WinZip:
>> http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm
>>
>> For the graphics drivers:
>> Create a new folder on your desktop.
>> Extract the files to the folder on the desktop.
>> Double click on extracted setup.exe
>> Follow the rest of the steps if any.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

May 25, 2005 7:00:33 PM

Yes I have. I am assuming that because of my printer settings required for
installation plus the fact that windows 98 only supporst Windows Media Player
7, that these are the settings I'll have to live with. I am not sure if even
a new monitor or video card would help. I really don't want to spend the
money on either.

"Brian A." wrote:

> Have you tried Richards suggestion on upping the brightness with the monitor
> controls?
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>

> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was able to unzip and install the necessary driver. I have full
> > functionality in terms of colors: 16 and 24 bit as well as 256 and all
> > screen size/resolutions. I guess I am back to my original issue of my media
> > player and other images appearing dark. i think my hp 4200 printer is the
> > reason. It requires 16 bit colors for installation and all. Not sure, but
> > it's my recent guess. Maybe my monitor is old as well. It's a :Hansol.
> > What do you think?
> >
> > "Brian A." wrote:
> >
> >> Since you reformatted/reinstalled, you may also need the IntelInfoSetup only
> >> if
> >> required, which you can get from the same site for your mobo. Try without it
> >> first.
> >>
> >> You can get 21 day evaluation of WinZip:
> >> http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm
> >>
> >> For the graphics drivers:
> >> Create a new folder on your desktop.
> >> Extract the files to the folder on the desktop.
> >> Double click on extracted setup.exe
> >> Follow the rest of the steps if any.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko
> >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:39:57 AM

It may be the printer has a hand in it, yet you may want to try the monitor on
another machine to see if the issue exists there.

--

> Yes I have. I am assuming that because of my printer settings required for
> installation plus the fact that windows 98 only supporst Windows Media Player
> 7, that these are the settings I'll have to live with. I am not sure if even
> a new monitor or video card would help. I really don't want to spend the
> money on either.
>
> "Brian A." wrote:
>
>> Have you tried Richards suggestion on upping the brightness with the monitor
>> controls?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>

>> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was able to unzip and install the necessary driver. I have full
>> > functionality in terms of colors: 16 and 24 bit as well as 256 and all
>> > screen size/resolutions. I guess I am back to my original issue of my
>> > media
>> > player and other images appearing dark. i think my hp 4200 printer is the
>> > reason. It requires 16 bit colors for installation and all. Not sure, but
>> > it's my recent guess. Maybe my monitor is old as well. It's a :Hansol.
>> > What do you think?

May 26, 2005 1:39:58 AM

I eventually figured it out. I went into control panel, display, settings,
advanced, color. Started messing with 3 different controls, gamma,
brightness, and contrast. Found a good combination where it lightens up
enough to watch mlb.tv as well as veiw images in a more viewable manner.
Thank you for all of your time and knowledge. Finding the driver for the
video card was key. I appreciate all of your input.

Larry

"Brian A." wrote:

> It may be the printer has a hand in it, yet you may want to try the monitor on
> another machine to see if the issue exists there.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>

> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I have. I am assuming that because of my printer settings required for
> > installation plus the fact that windows 98 only supporst Windows Media Player
> > 7, that these are the settings I'll have to live with. I am not sure if even
> > a new monitor or video card would help. I really don't want to spend the
> > money on either.
> >
> > "Brian A." wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried Richards suggestion on upping the brightness with the monitor
> >> controls?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko
> >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> >>

> >> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:24:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear all is "better". I will keep that in
mind for future reference.

--

!