can i use i printer with 2 machines w/o networking?

using win 98se, generic desktop, 128 mb ram, 7 gig hd, celeron processor,
about 5-6 yrs old.
i have an hp 5150 deskjet printer hooked up to my 1 yr old dell 4600
desktop, xp home, sp2 machine.
is it possible to install a usb hub, & connect the printer to the 2
machines? or must they be networked?
i'm trying to avoid networking them. i'm ready to purchase another printer
if necessary.
thank you, len kiesling

From: "Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net>

| using win 98se, generic desktop, 128 mb ram, 7 gig hd, celeron processor,
| about 5-6 yrs old.
| i have an hp 5150 deskjet printer hooked up to my 1 yr old dell 4600
| desktop, xp home, sp2 machine.
| is it possible to install a usb hub, & connect the printer to the 2
| machines? or must they be networked?
| i'm trying to avoid networking them. i'm ready to purchase another printer
| if necessary.
| thank you, len kiesling

If it was connected via parallel port I'd say use a switch box. Hoever, you don't hav a
recourse with USB.

Networking is your best bet. If you get a new printer, I suggest a HP 1200 business inkjet
with a HP JetDirect print server. Then you can share the printer over the network and print
to the IP address using the HP "Install Network Printer Wizard".

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

You can't do it with a hub, but a simple switch can manage what you want.
See, for instance:
http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/usbswitchboxes.htm
(sixth in the list)
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> using win 98se, generic desktop, 128 mb ram, 7 gig hd, celeron processor,
> about 5-6 yrs old.
> i have an hp 5150 deskjet printer hooked up to my 1 yr old dell 4600
> desktop, xp home, sp2 machine.
> is it possible to install a usb hub, & connect the printer to the 2
> machines? or must they be networked?
> i'm trying to avoid networking them. i'm ready to purchase another printer
> if necessary.
> thank you, len kiesling

thank you all! i didn't even think there was such an item, especially for
parallel port. my old hp 895cse is parallel. i figure it transfers better
with the large cable & many electrical contacts, but the similar one, hp
5100, is usb.

thank you dave for the recommendation about the hp 1200. i researched price,
not bad! the printer i would need is for minimal printing use, probably no
photos. very occasional use. i'm glad i use hp products, & your info is
supporting.

thank you jeff for usb switch hub device info! & the quick replies!

again!! you folks are the best!!
very thankful! len kiesling