More about printer machines networking

    From: "Leonard F Kiesling" <lenny323@optonline-removetoreply-.net>

    | using win 98se, generic desktop, 128 mb ram, 7 gig hd, celeron processor,
    | about 5-6 yrs old.
    | i have an hp 5150 deskjet printer hooked up to my 1 yr old dell 4600
    | desktop, xp home, sp2 machine.
    | is it possible to install a usb hub, & connect the printer to the 2
    | machines? or must they be networked?
    | i'm trying to avoid networking them. i'm ready to purchase another printer
    | if necessary.
    | thank you, len kiesling

    If it was connected via parallel port I'd say use a switch box. Hoever, you don't hav a
    recourse with USB.

    Networking is your best bet. If you get a new printer, I suggest a HP 1200 business inkjet
    with a HP JetDirect print server. Then you can share the printer over the network and print
    to the IP address using the HP "Install Network Printer Wizard".

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    You can't do it with a hub, but a simple switch can manage what you want.
    See, for instance:
    http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/usbswitchboxes.htm
    (sixth in the list)
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    From: "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>

    | You can't do it with a hub, but a simple switch can manage what you want.
    | See, for instance:
    | http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/usbswitchboxes.htm
    | (sixth in the list)
    | --
    | Jeff Richards

    Hmmm, I didn't think they made USB switch boxes.
    Learn something new everyday !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    thank you all! i didn't even think there was such an item, especially for
    parallel port. my old hp 895cse is parallel. i figure it transfers better
    with the large cable & many electrical contacts, but the similar one, hp
    5100, is usb.

    thank you dave for the recommendation about the hp 1200. i researched price,
    not bad! the printer i would need is for minimal printing use, probably no
    photos. very occasional use. i'm glad i use hp products, & your info is
    supporting.

    thank you jeff for usb switch hub device info! & the quick replies!

    again!! you folks are the best!!
    very thankful! len kiesling

    > From: "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>
    >
    > | You can't do it with a hub, but a simple switch can manage what you
    want.
    > | See, for instance:
    > | http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/usbswitchboxes.htm
    > | (sixth in the list)
    > | --
    > | Jeff Richards
    >
    > Hmmm, I didn't think they made USB switch boxes.
    > Learn something new everyday !
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm