Chokes on large file deletes

Hi everybody

Sorry to bother you all with this question, I know its been asked
before, I just can't find it.

My question is; does anybody know of a way to stop 98se choking on
large file deletes?

Best regards

Tony
7 answers Last reply
More about chokes large file deletes

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 01:42:25 GMT, Tony <Tony.Yarwood@XXXfreeuk.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi everybody
    >
    >Sorry to bother you all with this question, I know its been asked
    >before, I just can't find it.
    >
    >My question is; does anybody know of a way to stop 98se choking on
    >large file deletes?
    >
    >Best regards
    >
    >Tony

    Tony,

    It can take awhile for the system to digest a massive delete. If you
    wait awhile it should recover. If not and you need to reboot then
    it's another matter. Try waiting 5 min. or so. For me, the mouse
    still moves and I click on another folder, then when the files in
    the other folder appear the system has recovered.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    You are apparently using IE6 and it uses two files that are the culprit:
    browselc.dll and browseui.dll
    If you were to replace these files with the same files from IE5.5 SP1 (v
    5.50.4522.1800), the problem would disappear. However, I do not know what
    problems this could cause and I do not recommend replacing the files.
    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Tony" <Tony.Yarwood@XXXfreeuk.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody
    >
    > Sorry to bother you all with this question, I know its been asked
    > before, I just can't find it.
    >
    > My question is; does anybody know of a way to stop 98se choking on
    > large file deletes?
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Tony

    To add to the other replies, also see here for an explanation of the bug --
    Win9x Explorer vs. Bulk File Ops:
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 23:29:50 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm

    Many thanks guys for all your very knowledgable replies, I knew there
    was a work-round :)

    Best regards

    Tony

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:42:03 GMT, Tony <Tony.Yarwood@XXXfreeuk.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 May 2005 23:29:50 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
    >
    >Many thanks guys for all your very knowledgable replies, I knew there
    >was a work-round :)

    Wow...I am impressed, that works a treat :]
    Thanks again guys.

    Best regards

    Tony

    I just got done deleting 82,000 files from the Content.IE5 folders (that took
    about 8 hours!) and leaving the desktop.ini files in each folder and I found a
    couple of .exe's from Windows Critical Updates in a few of those folders and I
    didn't delete those. I found that I had to select no more than 700 files for
    deletion at a time, then go to the Recycle Bin and REDELETE them from there (and
    the Recycle Bin would always hang doing this unless there were far fewer files
    in the bin, like under 200 or so...). So, while in Safe Mode, I had a shortcut
    on my desktop to take me to the Temporary Internet Files Folder and then I'd
    type in a backwards slash after the address and then the autocomplete menu would
    bring up "\Content.IE5" and I'd click on that to get to the dozen or so folders
    in that folder. I'd open a sub-folder, click on the View Menu and select
    Details, then click on the File Type tab, and delete all files before the
    desktop.ini file and then all the files after the desktop.ini file (up to a
    maximum of 700 files per Recycle Bin load). Sometimes the last deleting file
    would hang if I went above 700 files for deletion and that would require a 3
    finger salute and maybe a reboot. I did need to reboot after about every 7000
    files deleted from the Content.IE5 folders. Some of those folders had over
    20,000 files in them! The Recycle Bin almost always needed a 3 finger salute
    about 10 seconds after the file count in the bin counted down from 700 to 0.
    Then the Safe Mode bootup warning would show up and I'd click OK, then I'd click
    the shortcut to get to the Temporary Internet Files and type in the backwards
    slash in the address bar and select Content.IE5 from the autocomplete menu to
    start the process of selecting the next 700 files for deletion.

    "Tony" <Tony.Yarwood@XXXfreeuk.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody
    >
    > Sorry to bother you all with this question, I know its been asked
    > before, I just can't find it.
    >
    > My question is; does anybody know of a way to stop 98se choking on
    > large file deletes?
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Tony

    Entirely the Wrong way to empty the TIF

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:b7dme.27914$tM3.26730@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Microsoft Windows