an8-32 deluxe boot problem

ne14pic

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
First build in about 5 years, i have an an8-32 sli and when i try to power up for the first time everything turns on but, the monitor will not come out of sleepmode, does anyone have an ideas where i went wrong

A good place to start woud be to check the power connections, the 24-pin ATX is a requirement if you have 20-pin you may need an adaptor. The "P4" 4-pin power connector at the top right (if you are facing front to back) needs to be connected and I always connect the "ez-plug" 4-pin hdd-type molex (next to the ATX 24-pin connector) to the PS as well.

For single PCI-E I hate to say RTFM but make sure you are using the correct slot for single-gpu. Also try swapping the DVI if dual and maybe try the VGA adaptor or if you have vga/dvi just have vga alone...

mem - try a single stick in the first slot.

If all else fails, go bare-bones and pull everything off the mobo, just kyb/cpu&fan/1 dimm/vga/PS all mobo connections (and no peripheral power) and the PS_on header only. If you can't get anything at this point try a cmos clear or maybe swap the memory with the other stick in the first dimm slot...

At this point I would try and remove the mobo / PS and put it on the bench bare-bones w/ a sheet of plywood, drywall or something non-conductive and 1/2" elevated (so the slot pigtails hang off) and try it - if it works maybe something was grounding out on the case.

If nothing still you can swap out bare-bones parts w/ a friend / neighbor (a gas grille and beer can motivate) chances are you may be calling ASUS for an RMA, since there are serious issues (or lack of) ASUS mobo QA testing for the A8N series boards for some reason.

sailer

Splendid
I have the same board in a Cyberpower that I bought a few months back. It had a couple problems from the start, but they didn't seem too serious and I wasn't sure if it was the motherboard or the graphics card. Then the board failed, wouldn't boot or anything. I also found out Cyberppower's attitude about the problem and why they're so cheap. They don't want me to send the computer back to them for repair, but want me to do all the work; take out the motherboard, send it for an RMA, and then reinstall it. Almost may as well have built the machine myself.

Anyway, my point is that while Asus may have done fine in my previous computers, they seem to have a quality problem now, especially with all the stuff I've heard since I bought the board. Wish I'd choosen a DFI. You may have done nothing wrong, you may just have a bad board. Do check the BIOS, just to make sure there isn't a problem there, and check to see if all the connections are right and tight. Like Doolittle said, strip out the periferals and see what happens. Possibly something else is the problem, but be wary of the motherboard.