Windows Explorer hangs after some file operations...

Roberto

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

Hi

When I do many delete, copy, move.. files, the windows explorer hangs,
starts with a great delay to do a new operation...

The solution: reboot de machine.

Why this happens? Is there some other solution ?

Roberto

See the post on 21 May: Chokes on large files ...

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"roberto" <rnovak@ig.com.br> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> When I do many delete, copy, move.. files, the windows explorer hangs,
> starts with a great delay to do a new operation...
>
> The solution: reboot de machine.
>
> Why this happens? Is there some other solution ?
>
> Roberto

If you have 98 orig, there was a fix you might try:
Vcache.vxd Win98only
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224073
--
mae

"roberto" <rnovak@ig.com.br> wrote in message
| Hi
|
| When I do many delete, copy, move.. files, the windows explorer hangs,
| starts with a great delay to do a new operation...
|
| The solution: reboot de machine.
|
| Why this happens? Is there some other solution ?
|
| Roberto

You could revert to older .dll's for use by Explorer, per...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
...., which has pleased Colorado & Tony in other threads. It probably
complicates taking IE cumulative critical updates after that. You cannot
run the IE Repair Tool after that, unless you temporarily revert back.
You lose some added features/security settings/etc. that came with IE6,
but only in Explorer-- not in Internet Explorer. IE continues to use the
newer .dll's, because they are put into IE's base directory.

Or, try a 3rd party app for the massive deletes. I find the following
works well, EXCEPT when using it to put deleted files in the Recycle
Bin...
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet is configurable & installs with
pre-configured suggestions. It can delete to the Recycle Bin, to a
holding folder of it's own, or to oblivion. By design, it will not
delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
& doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,