Thanks.

From: "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>

| LH A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
|
| I want to specify the CDROM drives as E: and F:
|
| After that want to load USB dos driver for
| for USB external hard disk
| for partition G: and H: drives
|
| Please indicate the sample sequence of entries
| for these files.
| Thanks.

Why do you need to access these in DOS and not just in the Windows environment ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

AAH wrote:
> LH A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
>
> I want to specify the CDROM drives as E: and F:
>

> After that want to load USB dos driver for
> for USB external hard disk
> for partition G: and H: drives
>
> Please indicate the sample sequence of entries
> for these files.
> Thanks.

OK, mine solution, when working with different computers and NOT knowing
how many drive letters are on them I sent, from booting diskette, the CD
to letter "K". This is accomplished with the /L: switch.
But it is NOT enough, you have to invoke the LASTDRIVE command in
config.sys to enable this amount of drive letters.
When there are two CD's the letters asigned to them follow each other.
If I were in your position I would create a booting diskette, put on it
an autoexec.bat and config.sys, edit.com, mscdex.exe, himem.sys, <your
ide CD rom>.sys, <your USB>.sys and edit the relevant files till satisfied.
Only then I would apply this solution to the OS.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

In case of windows breakdown. The usb
hard disk has dupplicate of C: and D: partition.
For this purpose I am not backingup these
partition with any commercial utility. It is just
a copy. If windows working fine no problem.

From: "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>

From: "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>

| In case of windows breakdown. The usb
| hard disk has dupplicate of C: and D: partition.
| For this purpose I am not backingup these
| partition with any commercial utility. It is just
| a copy. If windows working fine no problem.

You should use a backup utility in Windows so everything will be copied (*including hidden
and system files and/or folders) and the resultant backup will be compressed to save space.

*Note: This excludes file handles held open by the OS.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

At present the E: and F: are cd drives.
When I try to load the USB driver for
it overtakes E: and F: for G: H:
Physicall USB por cannot be accessed.

"Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message

AAH wrote:
> LH A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
>
> I want to specify the CDROM drives as E: and F:
>

> After that want to load USB dos driver for
> for USB external hard disk
> for partition G: and H: drives
>
> Please indicate the sample sequence of entries
> for these files.
> Thanks.

OK, mine solution, when working with different computers and NOT knowing
how many drive letters are on them I sent, from booting diskette, the CD
to letter "K". This is accomplished with the /L: switch.
But it is NOT enough, you have to invoke the LASTDRIVE command in
config.sys to enable this amount of drive letters.
When there are two CD's the letters asigned to them follow each other.
If I were in your position I would create a booting diskette, put on it
an autoexec.bat and config.sys, edit.com, mscdex.exe, himem.sys, <your
ide CD rom>.sys, <your USB>.sys and edit the relevant files till satisfied.
Only then I would apply this solution to the OS.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

Wouldn't be better to give them descriptive volume names, so you are
more sure what volume you are copying from/to? I try to include the
date on "backup volumes" (when I remember to.) e.g. WIN98052305

Then do VOLs at the dos prompt to find where it is.

VOL E:
VOL F:
etc:

OS letters are too transient to rely on in critical operations imo.

AAH wrote:
> At present the E: and F: are cd drives.
> When I try to load the USB driver for
> it overtakes E: and F: for G: H:
> Physicall USB por cannot be accessed.

Don't recall precisly but there is a sequence how the system assigns
letters to different patritions (drives) depending on where they are
connected and if active or not. As I recall it, it IS a mess on the
newer multidrive capability especially with temporary USB connections.
So it maybe prudent to move the CD drives to some far away letters with
the /F: switch so they don't interfere with partitions on USB ports.
(Cannot check it as I don't use USB drive)

You are "The Admin" of your box, tell it how to behave!

Have fun.

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.