No Stand-alone Windows 98 CD

While attempting to install a new modem in my old laptop, I was asked to
insert my Windows98 CD. All I have is the CD that came with my COMPAQ
laptop, but not a stand-alone Windows98 CD.

That is the same as my HP desktop-no Windows98 CD-Just the HP disk.

Try that Compaq disk. Also, the W98 setup files may be on the hard drive.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Retired-Ken" <Retired-Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While attempting to install a new modem in my old laptop, I was asked to
> insert my Windows98 CD. All I have is the CD that came with my COMPAQ
> laptop, but not a stand-alone Windows98 CD.
>
> That is the same as my HP desktop-no Windows98 CD-Just the HP disk.

Look for a directory/folder on the HD with many .cab files (Win98_##.cab) and
point the wizard there when asked for the disk. Usually they are placed on the
HD by the manufacturer in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs and they are the Windows setup
files.
There is no need to point to any specific .cab, simply point to the folder in
which they reside.

If no luck, check the modem manufacturers support site for the drivers,
download/save to drive and point to where you saved them. Read the manufacturers
installation instructions, some drivers are distributed in a self extracting
file or .zip file and will need to be extracted before you can use them.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

Brian A. wrote:
> Look for a directory/folder on the HD with many .cab files
> (Win98_##.cab) and point the wizard there when asked for the disk.
> Usually they are placed on the HD by the manufacturer in
> C:\Windows\Options\Cabs and they are the Windows setup files.
> There is no need to point to any specific .cab, simply point to the
> folder in which they reside.

If you don't find them and you have a D: drive (not a CDROM) look there
too...IIRC Compag used to stick thir stuff on a partition.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...