dasgreif

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Price is within ~$40 in favor of the D 940.

Which of these would make the best choice for a new general purpose system? Used mainly for websurfing, general computer/education use, mp3, photoediting and Everquest.

Asus p5N32 SLI + D 940 = $473

Asus A8N SLI NF4 premium + 3800 X2 = $482

Upgrading from a PIII, and trying to keep the total box under $1k

2gb Ram (Corsair Twinx)
GeForce 7600GT 256mb (or another $175 card)
Raptor 74gb HD

Will be using a Coolermaster Wavemaster case.

The new Intel Conroe CPUs will not fit in that mobo correct?

Thanks for the help. This will be my first build, but have researched and read these forums and boards extensively.

endyen

Splendid
It would be hard to call it any closer than that. If the C1 stepping were available now, I might even suggest the Intel chip.
As it stands, either system should be great for you, though the AMD chip runs slightly cooler, and has a better nad quieter stock hsf.
No, that board will probably not support conroe. On the other hand, if the board will ever support conroe, without a major revision, the boards that are, or will be shipping soon will support it. (in other words, that board bought in two weeks will most likely support conroe)

dasgreif

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
The main reason I started to consider Intel was the recent drop in CPU prices and the dropping prices in DDR2.

I am not an overclocker yet. But as this is my first build I plan on learning.

If there is good board that will support Conroe then that is probably the best route price wise for me to go. As I probably wont buy a whole new system for another few years. As when prices drop on those in 2yrs from now I can upgrade the CPU. I had wanted to go with AMD, but with current Intel CPUs being so cheap, and the possibility of getting a board that can use those now and Conroe later is just to tempting if I can find such a board.

So just keep watching the boards and announcements to see when board manufactures announce which boards will be compatible?

I dont need this box untill June. So would it be best to wait and see what happens with prices? As the cost/performance ratio is key for me. Though after using a PIII for the last 5yrs its way beyond time to move on.

Thanks again

dasgreif

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
So using something like the DFI NF4 Ultra-D would be better as its a non SLI board and cheaper?

Any chance of the X2 4400 hitting ~$300-350 when AM2 hits the shelves?

Though for my uses the X2 3800 with a 7600GT is probably plenty. And with the DFI board I could experiment with overclocking....

Really interested in the new Conroe but I cant sink more then $600 for CPU, RAM, Mobo combo

Any chance of the X2 4400 hitting ~$300-350 when AM2 hits the shelves?

Really interested in the new Conroe but I cant sink more then $600 for CPU, RAM, Mobo combo

I really doubt the S939 X2 chips will drop by a lot. I think AM2 are priced slightly higher than the their S939 counterparts when sold in lots of 1,000.

Regarding Conroe, there are rumors that there may be a compatiblity issue with Intel's 975X chipset. Conroe may only be compatible with the 965 and the 975XBX "BADAXE" chipsets. Both are to be released when Conroe is on sale.

If you can't wait a few more months for Conroe to be released then just pull the trigger on the S939 X2.

dasgreif

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Dont need the box till mid June. So hopefully will be able to get a conroe compatible board by then. Use one of the cheap 9xx CPUs, and in like 2yrs when the higher Conroe's are cheap upgrade to one of them.

Will see what the overall price/perf ratio is, especially when you add in the 2gb ram, though the cheaper DDR2 seems balanced by the higher price on the Intel boards

Thanks again.

Has been very interesting keeping up with the various posts on this forum and others concerning AMD and Conroe. Though anything past my current setup will be a huge improvement

kunider

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
i think your best bet is the PD 940 because of the DDR2. that way, you'll be able to switch the memory even if you buy the AM2

Crasher01

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
i think your best bet is the PD 940 because of the DDR2. that way, you'll be able to switch the memory even if you buy the AM2

The hesitation from current users who are seriously considering an upgrade like the original poster, is an effect all what Intel attempting to create when they decided to promote their now dirt cheap but piece of crap Netburst chips. I would either wait to see if their Conroe would live up to the hype, or buy an Athlon at this time.

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006

The hesitation from current users who are seriously considering an upgrade like the original poster, is an effect all what Intel attempting to create when they decided to promote their now dirt cheap but piece of crap Netburst chips. I would either wait to see if their Conroe would live up to the hype, or buy an Athlon at this time.

I'd hardly call a pentium d 940 a piece of crap chip. It runs cooler then any 5xx, 6xx (except for maybe MAYBE some of the 6x1's), or 8xx series hands down, while offering greater overclock-ability while using less voltage.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
That's the problem right here.
Instead of saying Netburst is crap(which it is efficiency speaking) you have
to look at how a Netburst chip performs. A P4 940 is equall to a X2 3800 if not better at stock. Right now if you find one of those mobo's that should support Core then there is no question about on what to spend. In fact in that situation i'd recommend something cheap like a 805 or the future 9xx(dunno the serial number) that will be clocked at 3 GHZ and will cost ~ 170$. Doing so will make your PC future proof.
OC-ing a PD may not yeld the best results but still 4 Ghz stable on air is a lot.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You can also spend a little less on CPU (930) and buy the Intel D975XBX (be sure to buy a Conroe-ready revision), just to be on the safe side.

dasgreif

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Ya, its just finding one of those Intel D975XBX rev 304 boards. And I have a feeling when they actually do hit the shelves they are going to be priced out the roof.

Untill the other manufacturers put out 975x boards with the right VRM. Have a feeling the Asus P5WD2-E may work.

Looks like I picked a good and yet bad time to finally upgrade my PIII.

Think the farthest I could push off the build is maybe late June.

Crasher01

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006

I'd hardly call a pentium d 940 a piece of crap chip. It runs cooler then any 5xx, 6xx (except for maybe MAYBE some of the 6x1's), or 8xx series hands down, while offering greater overclock-ability while using less voltage.

Yeah, it runs cooler than its same piece of crap sibling but not an Athlon. Prepare to get a more powerful PSU and bigger fans before you trying to OC it.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Heh, the new Pentium Ds have C1 stepping. It will actually consume less than a AMD CPU in a significant amount of situations. I don't see the CPU being crap. I just see someone being uterly uninformed or biased.

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
can you please verify that Pentium D has C1 stepping, it would be better that you also give me the sSpec Number of that Pentium D 8xx or 9xx processor...
thanx!

DrGadget

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Dont need the box till mid June. So hopefully will be able to get a conroe compatible board by then. Use one of the cheap 9xx CPUs, and in like 2yrs when the higher Conroe's are cheap upgrade to one of them.

If you can get one with some upward mobility, then that's the way to go. We know for a fact that the current AMD systems will not run the new AM2 chips. So there's less possibility for expansion.

There are two ways you could go with this. You could buy your system now, and get it all set up and tweaked properly by June. Or you could hold out until the last second in an attempt to find the best price. Computer parts prices rarely rise, but once in a blue moon they will. So it's not a 100% guarantee of getting a better deal.

Also, you can keep waiting forever because something awesome is getting released "next month". Do this and you will never buy a computer. Sooner or later, you will just have to settle for whatever is available today at a price you can afford. A Conroe-upgradable Pentium D makes for a very nice compromise. Cheap today and super fast tomorrow.

That sounds like the way to go.

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
intresting... according to this link they say that intel pentium d with specified sSpec numbers have C1 stepping but according to this link there is not any pentium d processor of C1 stepping... so wot would you say? is intel playing games or wot? they just can't keep there web site updated or wot? they don't know themselves what they are manufacturing? this is totally confusing me...

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I believe Intel's Processor Spec Finder is messed up, if you click under Stepping, you don't even see C1 but there's a blank space there assuming that's C1 and it gives you 3.4Ghz and 3.6Ghz. I am pretty sure the P-D 9xx is build with C1 stepping. I am getting my P-D 940 this Friday, we will see : )

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Neither. Id go with an Opteron 165 for $327 and free shipping at newegg.
Wait for AM2 65nm release and the prices will drop like lead balloons.

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
ok fingers crossed!

EDIT:

D930 3.00GHz, sSpec No. = SL95X, Stepping = C1
D940 3.20GHz, sSpec No. = SL95W,Stepping = C1
D950 3.40GHz, sSpec No. = SL95V, Stepping = C1
D960 3.60GHz, sSpec No. = SL9AP, Stepping = C1

so just look your sSpec No. at the end of your boxed product code (the last five characters) and then you'll know if it SL95W its with stepping C1, which is good!

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
im not trying to steer you away from sli because i have it,but like the other guys said it is expensive and you only have 1 graphics card in the post . why not go with a single card motherboard and then get better graphics or processor with the saved money. i dont have intel anymore but if i were going that route i would get a highend board that overclocks well and then get the 920-930 for low price and a good cooler and overclock the crap out of it. i hear they overclock well. well thats my 2 cents worth of advice.also if you are not in a hurry watch ebay for some deals,thats how i got my cards and cpu. paid $399 for the first card and $359 for the second both new and this was back when they were still $499 and up. just recently got the 4600x2 for $425 which is a lot cheaper than $547 that they sell for now