DUAL SLOT IN A SINGLE SLOT?!??!!?

zeeinc

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Just a question. Can a dual slot cooling card e.g 7900 GTX fit into a single slot motherboard with only 1 pcie slot for the grahics card???

zeeinc

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
So lets say i have a sound card or something under the GPU then do i have to move it further down into another slot?

Just a question. Can a dual slot cooling card e.g 7900 GTX fit into a single slot motherboard with only 1 pcie slot for the grahics card???

Hey buddy...got an idea for you...actually buy the parts, plug the friggin cards into the mobo and answer your own damned questions...for effin' sake...you're killing me with this crap!!!! wtf...

nategarst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006

Hey buddy...got an idea for you...actually buy the parts, plug the friggin cards into the mobo and answer your own damned questions...for effin' sake...you're killing me with this crap!!!! wtf...

Somebody sure pissed you off today, the guy just asked a question, he didn't ask for sarcasm.

The dual slot cooling question:
do you need to plug a card into two sockets to make it work, or is it just so big that the cooler takes up the next PCI slot (the card itself being plugged into a single socket)?

Answer is: due to space between PCI sockets (or connectors or whatever) varying ever so slightly, (almost) no cards plug into more than a single socket.

However, top of the line graphic cards with huge coolers take up so much space they usually cover the socket next to them. If you replace the cooler with a slimmer solution (example: watercooling), then the card gets much smaller.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
it will probably be 3 slot, cooled by some heatpiped 120mm cooler and will sound like a 747 taking off :p
and will cost the same as the rest of the computer

That hasn't been the case since the FX5800 Dustbuster (even the original 7800 GTX, although big, wasn't too noisy).

I think there are passively cooled 7600s in the work...

Scratch that, Asus makes single-slot passively cooled 7600, and a funky-looking passively cooled 7800GT. So no, The next-gen GPU products may not be that bulky.

Right now, my 6600 is good enough for me to wait for the next generation (considering I made a jump from original Riva TnT (not TNT2) to Geforce4 then to Geforce 6, missing out on a generation is no big deal... (I could actually play Max Payne with a mid-high detail level on the TnT, and Doom3 on the GF4)

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
it will probably be 3 slot, cooled by some heatpiped 120mm cooler and will sound like a 747 taking off Razz
and will cost the same as the rest of the computer

They're actually going to put a flanger in the cooling system to make it sound like a jetplane

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

Somebody sure pissed you off today, the guy just asked a question, he didn't ask for sarcasm.

Exactly... I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes... but if You don't wanna answer, then why press the reply button?

I would want to know TOO, before I buy equipment I cannot use.

JERK! :evil:

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
My W.E. 9800SE->Pro was a quad-slot solution. :trophy:

WusyEdition. Nice :). I'm guessing that you were using a CPU heatsink, right? How on earth did you get it to fit; I've been trying to mod my old P4 heatsink onto my X600, but the heatsink is wider than the card!

Yes. Because the video card will cover up the PCI slot, meaning you won't be able to use it.

You don't want your video card jammed up against a PCI device.

zeeinc

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Hmm ok i think i get it now. But just a question is there a sli intel mobo tht can actually compare to amd ones. I mean is there a really good one out there tht i can buy?

Exactly... I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes... but if You don't wanna answer, then why press the reply button?

I would want to know TOO, before I buy equipment I cannot use.

JERK! :evil:

Jerk, hahahaha, that's funny...reminds me of the playground...Both of you can suck my a$$...

Not for nothing, but this is a question that the OP could have found out with a little time, research, and thought.

Oh wait, there's that magic word "thought"...I know taking the time to find out your own answers and actually learn something is counter-culture, especially with today's gimme-gimme-I-want-it-now mentality.

Anything else you wanna know that I can spoon feed to you and hold your hand through?!