Sign in with
Your question

I Built a powerful fast gaming machine for under $3,000.00.

Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2006 11:10:54 AM

I built this gaming machine including ATI X1900 XTX in CROSS FIRE for under $3,000.00. I Have seen forums people have built their pcs with the same graphic cards
with lower CPU clock speed for for over $4,000.00. Check this out if u guys want some ideas to save money on a very power gaming machine. be smart before u buy. Also save money on hard drive. to save money on hard drive, First ask your self? How much GB do i need? dont just buy a 300 GB drive for $130.00 just to be cool. If rig is just dedicated for gaming, i just consider getting a 60 or 80 gb hard drive.i dont think u are going to install like 15 games. IF is for gaming, streaming, and server for media files at the same time .. then get a 160gb or higher.
The secret word for saving is OVERCLOCK!! For Those who are willing to buy an AMD FX-60 2.6. this suckers are $1000. I saved $700 on CPU by buying an OPTERON 170 Dual Cores and OC to 2.9. yeah. 2.9 and stable, and this fuckers are faster than the FX-60 for $350.
Also have these radeons in CROSSFIRE OC at 710mhz..each card.. Warning Water Cooler is required. SO be smart and save money. No need to buy an Alienware for gaming with these power for over $4,000 dollars. Also save on monitors, go for CRT, they are cheaper in price, and much looking image than lcds. anyways,CRT are best for gaming, i really dont care about desk space.dont waste lots of money on cases, i gather save on cases to spend more on hardware. check what was my final prize.AMAZING.

Abit 3200 Motherboard
Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply
Case:Cooler Master
AMD OPTERON 170 Dual Core OC to a stable 2.9 with water cooler
2 x ATI X1900 XTX GPU in Cross Fire OC at 710mhz with water cooler
OCZ 2gb 3200 memory
XFI Sound Blaster Fatality
NEC ND-3550A Dual Layer DVD±RW
Samsung SyncMaster 997mb 1900x1400 19" Monitor
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB Hard Drive

Motherboard.ABIT AT8 32X Motherboard $184.24
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202516546&Sea...

Case:Cooler Master CAC-T05UW Centurion 5 Black/Silver Mid Tower $62.79
http://www.shopperexpo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCo...

Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply - Black $110.25
http://www.xoxide.com/hiper-power-supply-black.html

Processor- AMD Opteron 170 Dual Core Processor $396.98
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Sc...

Video Card- ATI X1900 CrossFire Edition Video Card- $553.67
saphire Radeon X1900 XTX Video Card $484.67

Memory-OCZ Technology 2GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Dual Channel Platinum Memory $204.48
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Sound Card-Creative XFi 70SB046600002 SOUND BLASTER XFi Fatal1ty FPS - $257.00
http://www.pcstadium.com/servlet/the-55/Creative-Sound-...

Monitor-Samsung SyncMaster 997mb 19" Monitor - $190.00
http://www.ctistore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=P...

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB Hard Drive $90.35
http://www.directron.com/6v250f0.html

NEC ND-3550A Dual Layer DVD±RW $43.34
http://www.directron.com/nd3550a.html

could of gone with 2 raptors, and still remained under $3,000

A SILENCE PC

With tax and shipping
Total:$2577.77
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2006 11:31:01 AM

Nice rig, although I personally would never pay $257 (more than 10% of entire rig's cost?) on a sound card when so many mainboards have integrated 8 ch sound, some even with SB Live...

In any event...install FEAR, and begin benchmarking at 1600x1200!
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2006 11:36:16 AM

"For Those who are willing to buy an AMD FX-60 2.6. this suckers are $1000. I saved $700 on CPU by buying an OPTERON 170 Dual Cores and OC to 2.9. yeah. 2.9 and stable, and this ****** are faster than the FX-60 for $350."

I have nothing against cpu overclocking, but,...during high res/gpu-limited gaming, exactly how much faster (as measured by average framerates) is an FX60/FX62 equiv over an Opty 170 or 175 at stock clocks?
Related resources
April 28, 2006 12:03:05 PM

No where in your prices did you list the water cooling gear, speakers, keyboard and mouse and a variety of other components... and considering the video card setup you got, you bought a cheap monitor.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this... was that really less than $3000? To me it sounds like you left out a good bit.
April 28, 2006 12:11:46 PM

ooh! I want crossfire :-)
April 28, 2006 5:43:02 PM

Quote:
No where in your prices did you list the water cooling gear, speakers, keyboard and mouse and a variety of other components... and considering the video card setup you got, you bought a cheap monitor.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this... was that really less than $3000? To me it sounds like you left out a good bit.

Not really if you think about it. A LOT of people like CRT's and he is one so instead of spending 400-800 on a QUALITY LCD he spend prolly around 200 dollars buying a nice CRT. I also think he was implying that he had this from a previous build. A mouse and keyboard cost 120 from the most and again probably from his previous setup and the speakers one more time were prolly from first build. But I am wondering how much you spend on watercooling your system
April 28, 2006 5:57:17 PM

Quote:
I built this gaming machine including ATI X1900 XTX in CROSS FIRE for under $3,000.00. I Have seen forums people have built their pcs with the same graphic cards
with lower CPU clock speed for for over $4,000.00. Check this out if u guys want some ideas to save money on a very power gaming machine. be smart before u buy.
With tax and shipping
Total:$2577.77

I wonder when someone will post a similar spec PC build for under $800.
April 28, 2006 6:29:54 PM

You know its funny, but when you put 2 X1900XTXs in Crossfile they become XTs. Little known fact;)
April 28, 2006 6:45:29 PM

Quote:
You know its funny, but when you put 2 X1900XTXs in Crossfile they become XTs. Little known fact;)

So when you put two X1900XT's in Crossfile, do they become X1900Xs? Or do you then take the X off of the beginning? I hate all of the damn prefixes and suffixes in video card names.
April 28, 2006 6:45:43 PM

Such a waste of a system on a CRT monitor.
April 28, 2006 6:48:42 PM

WOW, YOU OVERCLOCKED!

Big deal.

Do you see the 7Ghz Pentium guy posting saying "ooh, I spent an extra $500 on cooling and my CPU runs 4Ghz faster than everyone elses"?
April 28, 2006 6:48:53 PM

Money saved on HD: ~$70

Money wasted on sound card: ~$140

Looking like an idiot posting your "extreme savings" build: Priceless
April 28, 2006 6:51:34 PM

Quote:
Such a waste of a system on a CRT monitor.

I concur. Hopefully, the CRT will break through the desk and the screen will break into a million little pieces. Then he'll realize that he should have bought an LCD.
April 28, 2006 7:01:44 PM

Quote:
I built this gaming machine including ATI X1900 XTX in CROSS FIRE for under $3,000.00. I Have seen forums people have built their pcs with the same graphic cards with lower CPU clock speed for for over $4,000.00.

Quote:
The secret word for saving is OVERCLOCK!!... SO be smart and save money. No need to buy an Alienware for gaming with these power for over $4,000 dollars.

I would wager that over 95% of the people on these forums are knowledgeable enough to build their own high-end systems. I'm happy you found the joy of building your own system and everything, but honestly... Saying you saved money and got better performance by building it yourself is old news.
April 28, 2006 7:39:43 PM

Quote:
I built this gaming machine including ATI X1900 XTX in CROSS FIRE for under $3,000.00. I Have seen forums people have built their pcs with the same graphic cards with lower CPU clock speed for for over $4,000.00.

Quote:
The secret word for saving is OVERCLOCK!!... SO be smart and save money. No need to buy an Alienware for gaming with these power for over $4,000 dollars.

I would wager that over 95% of the people on these forums are knowledgeable enough to build their own high-end systems. I'm happy you found the joy of building your own system and everything, but honestly... Saying you saved money and got better performance by building it yourself is old news.

I'm knoweledgeable enough to build a high-end system; I'm just not rich enough.
April 28, 2006 9:03:27 PM

Quote:
I'm knoweledgeable enough to build a high-end system; I'm just not rich enough.

That makes two of us :( 
April 28, 2006 9:50:55 PM

well i had already own a pc speakers, mouse, keyboard, and water cooler from previous system. I built my own water cooler system for $190. For those who dont have a water cooler, u cant still overclock this Opteron at 2.4 with fan, maybe 2.6. I also built my own 7.1 800wts pc speakers with
bass shakers. Still would of be under $3,000 if i would of included on the list. and i made a great choice of going CRT. looks much better than my bros new $800 LCD. this crt is .20mm Dot pixlels wish looks more detail and sharper image.
April 28, 2006 9:57:11 PM

You built your own speakers and water cooling?

It's not really a great deal 'for under $3000' if you build your own stuff.

I've looked at the price of those Bass Shakers as well, they're at least $100, and not including that in the price of your system isn't exactly honest, is it.
April 28, 2006 10:37:35 PM

crt's are better than lcd's- cheaper, better picture, no ghosting and a lot more durable than an lcd. you just barely touch an lcd and the part of the screen acts up and how often have you heard of anybody getting shards of glass in their face from a busted crt? i don't know about you but it is none for me.
April 28, 2006 10:42:07 PM

Hey man, I built my own speakers. I trained two aliens next to my screen to fart the sounds. It works quite well, even though Beethoven's 3rd is coming out a little harsh. For the cooling, a midget constantly pees on my cpu. Idles at 14C.
April 28, 2006 11:16:53 PM

Quote:

I concur. Hopefully, the CRT will break through the desk and the screen will break into a million little pieces. Then he'll realize that he should have bought an LCD.

You say you are knowledgable about computers, obviously you are not. LCD is inferior to CRT. They had something about it on the site. Currently I have a 19" LCD, but I wish my 21" CRT still worked. The CRT was made in March 1994 and still worked untill a few month ago when the screen didn't turn on and it made a humming noise, which could be a transformer. I loved it compared to this LCD I have, the only good thing about the LCD is that it doesn't weigh 70 pounds and I can take it places easily, other than that, the color and contrast suck compared to my old CRT. Also, when looking into the LCD, the colors look flat while on the CRT, the colors look vibrant and lively. People need to learn that LCD is not as good as CRT performance wise.

Also, I like to comment on the original post. I wouldn't be suprised if Alienware charged $5,000 for an equivalent computer. I looked at their site and laughed at how overpriced it all was.
April 28, 2006 11:30:21 PM

amen navysealbrian
April 28, 2006 11:45:49 PM

CRTs are better only if you hate desk space.
April 29, 2006 12:36:06 AM

Quote:

You say you are knowledgable about computers, obviously you are not. LCD is inferior to CRT. They had something about it on the site. Currently I have a 19" LCD, but I wish my 21" CRT still worked. The CRT was made in March 1994 and still worked untill a few month ago when the screen didn't turn on and it made a humming noise, which could be a transformer. I loved it compared to this LCD I have, the only good thing about the LCD is that it doesn't weigh 70 pounds and I can take it places easily, other than that, the color and contrast suck compared to my old CRT. Also, when looking into the LCD, the colors look flat while on the CRT, the colors look vibrant and lively. People need to learn that LCD is not as good as CRT performance wise.

Also, I like to comment on the original post. I wouldn't be suprised if Alienware charged $5,000 for an equivalent computer. I looked at their site and laughed at how overpriced it all was.

What brand is your LCD? Mine's ViewSonic, and I'm very pleased with it. The colors are very vibrant, and the response is 8ms; no ghosting. When I move my computer back to my room, I'll mount it on the wall. There's no hope in hell that you could do that with a CRT. Plus, CRTs are filled with mercury and other crap like that. And I have a small desk here; if I had a CRT, I'd have to put my keyboard on my lap.
April 29, 2006 12:44:56 AM

Quote:

So when you put two X1900XT's in Crossfile, do they become X1900Xs? Or do you then take the X off of the beginning? I hate all of the damn prefixes and suffixes in video card names.

lmao Ducky... My typing is bad today.
April 29, 2006 3:34:36 AM

Quote:
Hey man, I built my own speakers. I trained two aliens next to my screen to fart the sounds. It works quite well, even though Beethoven's 3rd is coming out a little harsh. For the cooling, a midget constantly pees on my cpu. Idles at 14C.

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA LOL LOL HAHAHAHHA!
April 29, 2006 4:58:12 AM

Quote:

Ok, first things first.

LCD'S AREN'T IN THE STONE AGE ANYMORE.
NO GHOSTING.
GOOD CONTRAST.
GOOD COLOR.
GOOD RESOLUTION.

And the last thing, you don't have on your LCD.

And finally.

GOOD PRICE.

Like this Viewsonic

I rest my case,

DDay

P.S. To the original poster, really, we know what Overclocking is, its not some miracle of creation that we have not yet witnessed. You wonder why almost everyone here recommends Opty's.
April 29, 2006 5:26:39 AM

It's funny someone actually said it's a waster of a good system on a CRT monitor. If you play games you really want a CRT not a flat panel. For one CRT's last longer, they have higher allowed refresh rate, cheaper prices, better qaulity image, and so much more. I have a 21inch trinitron that smokes anything in the way of image qaulity. flat panels still dont hold a candle to a qaulity CRT. Anyone who says different is uninformed.
April 29, 2006 5:41:26 AM

Quote:
It's funny someone actually said it's a waster of a good system on a CRT monitor. If you play games you really want a CRT not a flat panel. For one CRT's last longer, they have higher allowed refresh rate, cheaper prices, better qaulity image, and so much more. I have a 21inch trinitron that smokes anything in the way of image qaulity. flat panels still dont hold a candle to a qaulity CRT. Anyone who says different is uninformed.

I have both kinds on the same computer until my second LCD comes from Memory Express. I have a BenQ 23" Widescreen and a Dell 19" CRT and I can Guarentee you that the LCD is FAR FAR FAR superior to this ugly CRT. The LCD is brighter, clearer and much easier to look at and OH MY GOD does Oblivion ROCK in Widescreen.

NOPE, give me my LCD's over the CRT's ANY DAY of the week.

Oh, and I'm one of those stupid people who bought an FX60... (Ya right) I'm running crossfire with the FX60 and you wanna talk about smoking?!?!? There is an old saying that goes something like this.... You get what you pay for. Oblivion running with everything maxed at 1920 x 1200 with insane framerates? I'll take it yes please oh my god.

LOL
April 29, 2006 9:34:02 AM

My Iiyama and Sony CRTs are all working great. I actually found one of my Sonys in a bin outside an office, took it home and....FREE SCREEN - wouldn't get that with a flatscreen, that's for sure.

But seriously, the only LCDs that come close to CRTs for sharp picture, colour and contrast are Apple, Sony and Iiyama. I haven't experienced a comparable flatscreen other than those. But they're all quite expensive.
April 29, 2006 10:24:50 AM

that is one advantage to an lcd they don't take up much room, but i personally i would give up desk space, for a better picture and cheaper. you go ahead and spend twice the amount of money for an inferior picture. to each their own. :D 
April 29, 2006 11:49:37 AM

Good build! I would've went with XT's to save money, but otherwise great! See if you can get 3.0!

~Ibrahim~
April 29, 2006 12:03:34 PM

You cant be a Xtremegamer if you think that LCDs are better than CRTs.

I switched from 19" CRT to a 17" LCD because I wanted to save some space. And I actually was quite happy with that.
Almost 1 year later I went to a LAN, equipped with UT2004 and Counter-Strike. UNPLAYABLE!
Now I have to carry my 2000000000 kg CRT around and it also takes away half my desk space (desk pulled away from the wall) but CRTs are so far superior (my CRT even is some low-end brand) that I dont even care about space anymore.
April 29, 2006 4:09:56 PM

Quote:
You cant be a Xtremegamer if you think that LCDs are better than CRTs.

Ummm, you didn't read my post dicha? That's ok, I forgive you. I said that I have BOTH running SIDE BY SIDE on the SAME computer and the LCD WASTES the CRT. SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON.... nothing like it.
April 29, 2006 5:17:26 PM

Spend more than 300$ on an LCD and you'll know what I mean.
April 29, 2006 5:45:44 PM

Umm, just to let you know, Apple and Dell, use the exact same screen. So, what you just said, isn't true at all. I'm an apple geek, but I still know that the Dell is the only way to go, just because its way cheaper, and it is exactly the same screen.

DDay
April 29, 2006 5:53:33 PM

If you read elsewhere in the forum I have said that Dell are great screens - but I only give a firm reccommendation on stuff that I have a lot of experience with, and Apple, Iiyama and Sony screens are the ones I have had experience with over long peroids of time that I've been constantly impressed by in comparison to CRT.

I'm lucky enough not to come into contact with Dell PCs everyday, so I'm not totally 'down' with their screens, but it's great info that they use the same screens though, thanks for the heads up.
April 29, 2006 6:17:50 PM

Not all of there screens are the same, obviously, but I think both the 20" and the 24" Dell's use the same screen as Apple uses in its 20" and 23".

DDay
April 29, 2006 11:20:30 PM

I thought it would be, as those Dell screens are the ones that have been highest reccommended to me and others. And everyone knows the rep the Apple Cinema displays have.

So not the smaller panels, you say?
April 29, 2006 11:22:30 PM

Well, there aren't any 20" or lower Apple screens. I don't know about the laptop screens though.

DDay
April 29, 2006 11:32:21 PM

Good point, forgot they didn't make anything under 20"!

Any idea when they're gonna release an Intel/Core PowerMac?
April 29, 2006 11:34:35 PM

I'd say a few more months. I mean, they are ahead of schedule. By the way, have you seen that patent application that apple just submitted of the screen that is also a camera? It looks awesome.

DDay
April 30, 2006 12:25:05 AM

This whole thread makes me want to do something else with my time than surf the web.
April 30, 2006 12:27:41 AM

Huh?

:?

DDay
April 30, 2006 12:39:28 AM

Quote:
Good point, forgot they didn't make anything under 20"!

Any idea when they're gonna release an Intel/Core PowerMac?

It's going to be based on Conroe- so expect it around the time Conroe comes out.
April 30, 2006 2:46:11 AM

The line between PC and Mac is blurring...

What else is wrong with the world?
April 30, 2006 6:51:18 AM

Sometimes saving money is not the goal, and overclocking along with water cooling can cost you your entire investment, by the way what did you pay for the water cooling rig?
April 30, 2006 10:38:56 AM

Quote:

What??? That's dumb and you know it. PC is good for gaming and producing benchmarks and SuperPi, Mac is good for everything else. Well, that's not totally true but you get my drift.

Point is, both sides have a lot to learn from each other. Although a lot of the things PC users don't like about Mac ("I can't upgrade it!") are because of things that people do like about Mac ("Maaan it's sooo purrrdddy")

DDay - they're putting iSight in a screen? Awesome. I'm more looking forward to iPhone myself, but there sure is a lot of cool tech coming out of Apple at the moment.
April 30, 2006 11:45:45 AM

I might be wrong, but the Dell 2405 FPW uses a newer Samsung panel than the apple cinema 23".. The Dell has the same panel as the Samsung 244T i think, but the overdrive is different.

I myself can't complain about my 24" Dell, Tomb Raider, F.E.A.R and Black & White works fine on it..
April 30, 2006 7:03:40 PM

Quote:

What??? That's dumb and you know it.

Apparently, sarcasm and humor are lost on you.

I do not hate macs. I just find them to be less useful to me than a PC. A Mac with a large amount of disk space and a TV tuner would be perfect for a home theater box, because they run silent and look dandy. They're great for graphics, Flash, video editing, and design workstations because they're tuned for that purpose. But for my uses (gaming, schoolwork, and gaming), PCs just make a more logical choice. That and I want bang for the buck, and a homebuilt desktop in a black Lian-Li case sounds good to me.
!