Sign in with
Your question

THE G80 or 7900GTX??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 28, 2006 11:11:57 AM

OK guys ive come up with another quesiton. Im planning to buy a 7900 GTX and i was wondering tht if i should wait for Nvidias 8 series card. Does ne1 know when it is coming out? I have seen a link to a site which says that the card will e coming out as soon as June/July of this year. Can ne1 confirm this?

And if i was to buy a 7900GTX how much do u figure i would be able to sell it for by the time the G80 comes out? And does ne1 know if there is ne other 7 series card coming out this year tht i could buy or is it straight to the new series.

More about : g80 7900gtx

April 28, 2006 11:36:47 AM

Common sense says 7900gtx is the last in the series.
Common sense also says a new card is always around the corner.
Do you have any intelligent questions? :roll:
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2006 12:17:28 PM

I had heard the same June/July rumours, but, since Direct x 10 is tied ot Vista which has been delayed until Jan 07, in any event, there is no hurry, assuming your existing rig is adequate for it's currrent tasks...

If you already have at least a 6600GT/X850GT or so on a PCi-e mianboard, I'd be tempted to wait a few months just to see if anything (7900GTX renamed 8000GTX with Direct x 10.0 capable/HD-DVD decoding keys incorporated?) releases in June/July, with the latter month now alleged to be the release of Conroe series of cpus anyway...
Related resources
April 28, 2006 4:19:59 PM

If you want the newest and most advanced graphics available right now, the X1900 series is probably a better bet.

As far as G80, who knows when it'll be here? If you're current card is doing a good job and you can wait, then wait... but if you can afford some better performance and you're current card isn't up to snuff for you, it's never a bad time to upgrade.
April 28, 2006 4:46:21 PM

I'd say the 7900GTX is the better card by virtue of the fact that the G80 doesn't exist, and cards that exist are probably more likely to perform better than ones that don't. And DX10 cards aren't going to come out any time soon.

I'd quit the CAPITAL TITLES or you'll be consigned to a prison colony with 9-inch if I was you.
April 28, 2006 4:56:47 PM

Quote:
I'd say the 7900GTX is the better card by virtue of the fact that the G80 doesn't exist, and cards that exist are probably more likely to perform better than ones that don't. And DX10 cards aren't going to come out any time soon.

I'd quit the CAPITAL TITLES or you'll be consigned to a prison colony with 9-inch if I was you.

Something G80ish is out. If it's named G80, cool, if not, whatever. There is at least 1 DX10 compliant card in the final stages of testing, probably 2-3 from each company. Game companies have already recieved their cards for game compatability testing. BF2's 1.3 patch will likely support DX10.

DX10 IS around the corner. The June/July rumor is somewhat accurate, I hardly think nVidia and ATI would let the failures of Micro$uck determine their release schedule very much. I could see them waiting until the Holiday season to release the new stuff, though.
April 28, 2006 5:03:55 PM

Well what's the point of DX10 cards with no Vista? I don't see DX10 cards coming out till at least Q4.
April 28, 2006 5:34:28 PM

well Vista was supposed to be out in august/Sept timeframe so I am sure ATI and NV were planning their hardware releases around that and even though Vista got pushed back there is no reason that I can think to not put the new cards out if they are ready for release.

Seems to me with new CPUs,mboards, chipsets, and potentally GPUs its a bad time to be doing a lot of purchasing unless you just need one or two new parts to get your system up to snuff.

If you can wait I would. I cant see new video cards missing the hoilday season this year with Vista coming out right after Christmas.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2006 5:49:07 PM

Forget waiting, buy now, resell, buy again.

IMO the G80 won't be in stores 'till the end of the summer at the earliest, and you won't need the features until well into next year, and you'll regret buying a G80 compared to the cards offered after that.

Buy now, skip the G80, then buy a DX10 card when you know if anyone made a FX performing card, ie with only checkbox features, not useable.
April 28, 2006 6:34:02 PM

i see it slightly differently. Just because Vista is delayed doesn't mean the DX10 won't make the next round of cards(im hoping G80 has DX10 support).

Unreal 3 is still a DX9 engine and look at it...BUT do you think a 7900GTX will run Unreal 3 at full well? Usually there is a good 25-40% increase in speed from generation to generation. Im not talking 7800-7900 that wasn't a generation. 6800-7800 was and the difference was about what I stated. So given those normals...

Unreal 3 might run on a 7900GTX at 1024x768 w/all maxed at around 20-30FPS but the G80 might run it at 30-40 but at least you know that it should be good to go for both Unreal and crytek and all those still DX9 games. You could however choose to wait till G90 comes in Jan/Feb of 07.
April 28, 2006 6:48:02 PM

The G80 will be out in mid June; as you said, X1900XTX > 7900GTX.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2006 6:50:39 PM

Quote:
i see it slightly differently. Just because Vista is delayed doesn't mean the DX10 won't make the next round of cards(im hoping G80 has DX10 support).

But the point is without Vista there's no NEED to upgrade yet, and no way to know if anyone's done DX10 'right'.

That would be like buying 'USB3.0' product now before the spec is finished, the support is confirmed and there are anyways to test the product's compliance or benifits/issues.

Worry about DX10 when you have a way to be sure you're not buying a bum card IMO. The only way it makes sense to pick the G80, is once they are here, and they outperform the other option you're looking at in DX9.0+ games, and costs the same. Even if DX10 functionality is crap it's still a better deal at that point because it's better bang for the buck than the other options and has checkbox features. Without that kind of comparison stuff like this is conjecture, and if the G80 is delayed like the R520, then it could be a long wait while you could have been playing the whole time on a current card.

My recommendation, buy a 'just under the top' card, like a GF7900GT or X1900XT and then sell and replace, even if it's when the G80 comes out or some other card after that.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2006 6:53:09 PM

Quote:
The G80 will be out in mid June

That appears to still be the target, but I'll believe it when I see it. How many people said the R520 was out for sure in Jan, March, May, Summer... etc?

Right now I don't see any rush for nV to release other than to get a slight headstart on the R600, and really the GF7900 series is doing very well right now, so what's their motivation?

Just my two frames' worth as always.
April 28, 2006 7:12:28 PM

I think zeekle is close to the money.

Going by previous rounds of hardware development, if the G80 was due out in June/July we would have heard more about it by now. The Inquirer (sorry everyone...) said that the G80 missed it's tape out at the end of March, and so is due out around September-ish-maybe-ish this Autumn (Fall (for Americans)) along with ATI's next generation of cards.

I reckon you should buy now, otherwise you might be waiting a while.
April 28, 2006 7:13:44 PM

I agree that Direct X10 cards are not currently needed; my biggest reason for possibly getting a G80 in June hopefully included Open EXR HDR+AA.

Also imagine it; from a marketing standpoint, if Nvidia has the first Direct X 10 card out they'll be able to claim that as a major feature that ATI does not have.
April 28, 2006 7:19:55 PM

Sorry to say but untill people know how to remove Vistas' DRM stuff alot of people will never buy it...DX10 or not.
April 28, 2006 7:31:07 PM

Yeah but the 1800 & 7800 series cards seemed to be doing well but then came 1900 & 7900.
April 28, 2006 7:38:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry to say but untill people know how to remove Vistas' DRM stuff alot of people will never buy it...DX10 or not.

Sorry to say, but you know that's not true. In case you've been living under a rock, this is how it works: Microsoft release OS, People buy it. That's about it, end of. Most people don't care about features, they care about....well, AeroGlass. Not people round here, but we really don't make up a high percentage of the MS sales charts.
April 28, 2006 7:45:28 PM

The 7900GTX are just amazing but very high priced. The G80 card on the other hand, I sure it's gonna have a GS,GT,GTX versions but I wonder if there's going to be a GTX-PhysX version? A Gpu and PPU in one card, that would be cool. :D 
April 28, 2006 8:02:36 PM

Yeah ok but the thing is tht is the G80 is coming out this June or the next and is there any confirme report of it comin out at tht time cuz i dont wanna buy a card now and regret it later.
April 28, 2006 8:11:02 PM

As far as I know there are no confirmed reports of the G80 coming out this June.
April 28, 2006 8:32:09 PM

I'm not expecting it till Aug/Sep but if ATI hard-launches a new product beforehand I see a paperlaunch for Nvidia early with "enough" to satisfy the masses.
April 28, 2006 8:43:44 PM

Well, can't you just be nice.... and not be condescending? In as many words as you typed, you could have actually answered his question.
April 28, 2006 9:17:17 PM

Quote:
Since 7900 and X1900 just came out, next-gen cards will most likely be released at the same time as Vista or later.
Remember when the 6800 Ultra 512MB?
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2006 10:10:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah but the 1800 & 7800 series cards seemed to be doing well but then came 1900 & 7900.

Which were acelerated for other issues, 7900 for performance and price, and the X1900 because they were going to leapfrog the R520 until they figured out the 3rd party glitch.

Neither the G80 nor R600 have those considerations to address.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2006 10:57:49 PM

If you aren't happy with the 6800GT, my vote is forget the 7900GTX, but instead buy a X1800XT or 7900GT if you plan to upgrade again to G80. You'll get a greater percentage of your money back on those cards than on the 7900GTX as whatever comes out next will spank the 7900GTX knocking it's resale value down $100-150 at launch.
April 29, 2006 1:48:30 AM

This site says Q3, and it will undoubtably have support for Vista/DX10.

nVidia G80 GPU is expected to be released in H2 (possibly as early as June). G80 expected to be released on TSMC's new 80nm process and will likely be the first DirectX 10 / Shader Model 4 compliant GPU on the market, indicating a total core redesign over G70/G71 and the implementation of a Unified Shader Model which processes vertices and pixels through the same dual purpose pipelines. In addition to SM4 support, improved SM3 performance and enhancements to the texture filtering engine are also expected. G80 clock speeds are expected to be around 700Mhz and the core will interface to GDDR4 memory.

Mostly rumours, but that SM4: lmao!

The R600

ATI R600 GPU is expected to be released in October (perhaps later) on an 80nm (and perhaps 65nm too) process. The R600 is the successor to the R580 core and is expected to be built on a 65nm process and will be fully DirectX 10 compliant, utilising a Unified Shader Model architecture. Current rumours suggest that R600 will feature 64 Shader pipelines (processing both vertices and pixels) with 32 TMUs and 32 ROPs running at a clock speed of around 800Mhz. R600 is expected to interface to 512MB of 1.8Ghz GDDR4 Memory over a 256-bit interface.

~Ibrahim~
April 29, 2006 2:23:35 AM

Quote:
Well what's the point of DX10 cards with no Vista? I don't see DX10 cards coming out till at least Q4.

DX10 compliant cards as a marketing engine. $$$. It makes the world go round.
April 29, 2006 3:09:20 AM

Quote:
Can ne1 confirm this?

That would be ANY ONE. Lazy Tool Bag.
April 29, 2006 3:29:16 AM

yeah go for a sub $300 card or so, that way you dont pay to mutch and you will be able to run most any games at medium-high settings. anyways the average life right now for most new stuff is about what, 8 months max or so. and dont forget that ATI just put the final nail in the X1800 series cards cassket. here is a link to a really great deal on a 7900GT Graphics card
it might not be as great as the latest cards but it will get you through most games for another year or so.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
April 29, 2006 9:24:20 AM

Quote:
DX10 compliant cards as a marketing engine. $$$. It makes the world go round.

I see your point, but the people usually bothered about having the latest tech are also the people who will know that having a DX10 card pre-Vista is a tad pointless. I'm sure the core + memory will be faster and will have many more features, so that might be worth it, but I reckon quite a few people will be put off by the DX10 tag.
April 29, 2006 9:33:16 AM

Quote:
I reckon quite a few people will be put off by the DX10 tag.

I don't see why people would actually be put off my a DX10 tag. The only reason I can think of is if it was slower than a previous DX9 generation card in DX9 applications. I really don't think that this would be the case.

Therefore the DX10 would either be a moot point for people who intended to upgrade again for Vista, or a positive in terms of future proofing for people who intended to keep it after Vista launched.
April 29, 2006 9:39:22 AM

I'd just like to point out here that I'm still just speculating (i.e. educated guesses) rather than the guys who come on here and say they know for sure the exact details of everything when they clearly don't.

Anyway, my point was that the only people likely to be 'early adopters' of the DX10 cards are going to be able to see through the marketing and will know that before they actually use the DX10 features they'll have bought a new card anyway...and will probably hold out with their pathetic Quad-SLi 7900GTX system until they buy whatever DX10 cards are available come Vista launch. Of course that's assuming that nVidia release G80 sooner rather than later. I think more people are likely to buy G80 cards if they come out with only a couple of months 'til Vista's launch, and if they buy the G80 cards then, that means nVidia can follow up with G90 cards pretty soon after.
April 29, 2006 10:46:43 AM

i say go with the 6900gtx... o wait thats what i did about 2 days ago 8)

my reasons being that:
ati sux.. at least on desktops :p `

and you probably should wait a little while after the new generation of cards is released to insure that you get a product that has been tested out

take the 6900gtx, very similar to the 6800 but runs cooler with lower power consumption and higher performance
April 29, 2006 11:53:35 AM

Quote:
Since 7900 and X1900 just came out, next-gen cards will most likely be released at the same time as Vista or later.
Remember when the 6800 Ultra 512MB?

No, wait, what about the 6850 Ultra 512MB?!? And the X850XT PEs, but those might have been more thought out.

~Ibrahim~
April 29, 2006 1:41:48 PM

Quote:

my reasons being that:
ati sux.. at least on desktops :p `

Care to back that up with some kind of proof or evidence? rather than just making your Nvidiot fanboish comments with no proof.

At least ATI can do AA+HDR while beating Nvidia in the latest shader heavy titles aka Oblivion.
April 29, 2006 1:45:41 PM

Quote:
i say go with the 6900gtx... o wait thats what i did about 2 days ago 8)

Wow thats a really rare card you got there :roll: Toolbag.
a b U Graphics card
April 29, 2006 1:48:14 PM

:lol:  That's what I was thinking.
April 29, 2006 6:07:09 PM

Yeah i get tht BUT what i don't understand is tht if Nvidia wanted to release cards for Vista they would do so at the time of Vista's launch BUT ATI is also planning to release cards this year as well (will these support Vista or not??) and will Nvidia really release a new gen card to compete against them or they can just release another 7 series card as they already are ie 7950........ but thts Quad Sli. So my point is do u guys think that Nvidia will take out a next gen card to compete with ATI before Vista's launch or not.
April 29, 2006 8:28:02 PM

exactly, nvidia and ATi would be cuttin off their own balls and profit margins if they come out with new cards again just 4 months after their newest products hit the stores. just face the facts that we are gonna just see enhanced versions of the current cards by board makers more then anything else that the the chip makers will produce. remember the 68Ultra and X850XTPLE cards, they were top of the line for nearly a year before the new series cards came out. plain and simple were at the top of the line for video card releases until around december at the earliest. oh yes when did nvidia or anyone for the matter come out with a 6900GTX card, uhh never. so either u got ripped off or u have some bad typing.
April 29, 2006 8:31:22 PM

Quote:
Current gen 7 series and X1800/X1900 will support Vista. Next-gen cards will probably come after Vista, with full DX10 support, which current card don't.

Look, 7900 and X1900 came out recently. Would it make sense to release next-gen cards in a couple of months? No. They might, but highly unlikely.

8-series and ATI's R6xx are most likely to come out after Vista.

I disagree. I think, for marketing's sake, ATI and nVidia will HAVE to release not only before Vista, but before the Holiday Season as well. They don't care if they just suckered the entire market into the current gen of top-end cards. They'll just do it again with their new cards. What kind of gamer would you be if you had 4 video cards but didn't have DX10 support? So people just dropped $2000 on video cards. They'll probably be willing to do it if there's a new jump in technology like DX10, and ATI and nVidia know this. Who can refuse slogans like these:

"DirectX 10 Support!"
"Full Vista compatibility!"
"Cutting-edge technology!"

No matter the release date, the uninformed pc-buying community, and even the well-informed pc-building community will buy into this new tech upgrade (just look at those useless PhysX Cards) just like they do every time something like this comes out.

My $0.02.
April 29, 2006 11:25:45 PM

Quote:
Who can refuse slogans like these:

"DirectX 10 Support!"
"Full Vista compatibility!"
"Cutting-edge technology!"

The people the cards are aimed at - 'enthusiasts' - who will know that the 'Full Vista compatibility' will be useless to them and they'll just get the card when they need it thank-you-very-much.

I think this is a discussion more about marketing than cards/tech.

I agree with prozac - the 1900/7900 literally just came out, and they don't want to piss off their fans by releasing a better generation of card (not like the difference between 7800 and 7900 but a whole generation) a couple of months later. The 'Summer Release Schedule' theory is bogus, methinks.
April 30, 2006 12:15:22 AM

Quote:
I agree with prozac - the 1900/7900 literally just came out, and they don't want to piss off their fans by releasing a better generation of card (not like the difference between 7800 and 7900 but a whole generation) a couple of months later. The 'Summer Release Schedule' theory is bogus, methinks.
ATI did it with the X1800XT and Nvidia did it with the Geforce 7800GTX 512.
April 30, 2006 1:31:04 AM

Quote:

The people the cards are aimed at - 'enthusiasts' - who will know that the 'Full Vista compatibility' will be useless to them and they'll just get the card when they need it thank-you-very-much.

I think this is a discussion more about marketing than cards/tech.

You're welcome to think that. In my opinion anyone who wants to own Vista will be enticed to buy one asap. nVidia and ATI care about sales, not fanboys. Fanboys will buy no matter what, as soon as they have the money. ATI and nVidia can make the most money by releasing a month or more before the Holidays so that retailers can label these as the "Hot new tech picks" for the gamer come Christmas time. Coincidentally, they know that. Also, you have to take into account human stupidity.
April 30, 2006 1:43:27 AM

See but the thing is they know their "fans" will also buy any new or next-gen card they take out and if they dont release 1 in 4 months then they will do so a bit later. And these guys are saying they will take out a new card of the same Gen but only faster however there are no reports of Nvidia taking out any of these except the Quad-Sli which i dont care bout!
If there is a possibility tht a new card of the same gen will comeout can Ne1 just send me a link?
April 30, 2006 2:56:07 AM

Just as a general reply:

I would like to see Dual Core GPU's 8O

They would probably provide more benefit than SLI/CF, especially with 80/65nm packaging availible. Get 2 GPU's on one card hmmm... No I am not talking about the gigabyte 3vd1 or whatever it was that was 2 seperate GPU's in sli on one card.

Come on you know you want it. Dualcore 7900GTX :twisted:

Ok, ATI fans can have a DC X1900XTX too
April 30, 2006 10:30:39 AM

Quote:
ATI did it with the X1800XT and Nvidia did it with the Geforce 7800GTX 512.

Read what I said - a new GENERATION, not just the same chip clocked higher with a bunch of RAM grafted on the side. I'm talking about the difference between, oh, I duno, a P4 (423) and P4 (478) although you can't really take a comparison with the CPU industry because the graphics industry moves much faster.

And in reply to SuperFly - dual core GPUs wouldn't be as fast as Crossfire or SLi, because in SLi/CF you have two totally seperate boards each with a full range of components/RAM at their desposal at all times, whereas with a single dual core card you will be sharing some components. It's all theoretical, however and that might turn out to be total crap.
April 30, 2006 1:24:51 PM

Good point. Just kind of thinking out loud.
April 30, 2006 3:12:56 PM

Nah man your fine, I took it in stride, no worries.

I know gigabyte has combined to seperate GPUs onto one card linked via SLI interface, and ASUS also did this with 7800GT GPUs. I do realise that GPUs already operate in a form of parallelism, I guess I just didn't think the dual core gpu thing through fully. If you have other examples of dual gpu on a single card let me know.

My point in all of this is I would like to see a more efficient version of SLI/CF. Either closer to 2x performance across the board, or dual core not dual gpu on one board. Just some thoughts :p 
April 30, 2006 6:43:10 PM

Just throwing this out there: Would it be feasible to have a GPU socket? And than you would be buying, like JUST the GPU? You would have a better selection of HS/F and even be able to add more memory, but than, there might not be enough real esate on a motherboard for all that other stuff...Just a thought.

~Ibrahim~
!