zeeinc

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
OK guys ive come up with another quesiton. Im planning to buy a 7900 GTX and i was wondering tht if i should wait for Nvidias 8 series card. Does ne1 know when it is coming out? I have seen a link to a site which says that the card will e coming out as soon as June/July of this year. Can ne1 confirm this?

And if i was to buy a 7900GTX how much do u figure i would be able to sell it for by the time the G80 comes out? And does ne1 know if there is ne other 7 series card coming out this year tht i could buy or is it straight to the new series.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Common sense says 7900gtx is the last in the series.
Common sense also says a new card is always around the corner.
Do you have any intelligent questions? :roll:

I had heard the same June/July rumours, but, since Direct x 10 is tied ot Vista which has been delayed until Jan 07, in any event, there is no hurry, assuming your existing rig is adequate for it's currrent tasks...

If you already have at least a 6600GT/X850GT or so on a PCi-e mianboard, I'd be tempted to wait a few months just to see if anything (7900GTX renamed 8000GTX with Direct x 10.0 capable/HD-DVD decoding keys incorporated?) releases in June/July, with the latter month now alleged to be the release of Conroe series of cpus anyway...

cleeve

Illustrious
If you want the newest and most advanced graphics available right now, the X1900 series is probably a better bet.

As far as G80, who knows when it'll be here? If you're current card is doing a good job and you can wait, then wait... but if you can afford some better performance and you're current card isn't up to snuff for you, it's never a bad time to upgrade.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'd say the 7900GTX is the better card by virtue of the fact that the G80 doesn't exist, and cards that exist are probably more likely to perform better than ones that don't. And DX10 cards aren't going to come out any time soon.

I'd quit the CAPITAL TITLES or you'll be consigned to a prison colony with 9-inch if I was you.

Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I'd say the 7900GTX is the better card by virtue of the fact that the G80 doesn't exist, and cards that exist are probably more likely to perform better than ones that don't. And DX10 cards aren't going to come out any time soon.

I'd quit the CAPITAL TITLES or you'll be consigned to a prison colony with 9-inch if I was you.

Something G80ish is out. If it's named G80, cool, if not, whatever. There is at least 1 DX10 compliant card in the final stages of testing, probably 2-3 from each company. Game companies have already recieved their cards for game compatability testing. BF2's 1.3 patch will likely support DX10.

DX10 IS around the corner. The June/July rumor is somewhat accurate, I hardly think nVidia and ATI would let the failures of Micro$uck determine their release schedule very much. I could see them waiting until the Holiday season to release the new stuff, though.

zeekle

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
well Vista was supposed to be out in august/Sept timeframe so I am sure ATI and NV were planning their hardware releases around that and even though Vista got pushed back there is no reason that I can think to not put the new cards out if they are ready for release.

Seems to me with new CPUs,mboards, chipsets, and potentally GPUs its a bad time to be doing a lot of purchasing unless you just need one or two new parts to get your system up to snuff.

If you can wait I would. I cant see new video cards missing the hoilday season this year with Vista coming out right after Christmas.

Forget waiting, buy now, resell, buy again.

IMO the G80 won't be in stores 'till the end of the summer at the earliest, and you won't need the features until well into next year, and you'll regret buying a G80 compared to the cards offered after that.

Buy now, skip the G80, then buy a DX10 card when you know if anyone made a FX performing card, ie with only checkbox features, not useable.

jodo

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
i see it slightly differently. Just because Vista is delayed doesn't mean the DX10 won't make the next round of cards(im hoping G80 has DX10 support).

Unreal 3 is still a DX9 engine and look at it...BUT do you think a 7900GTX will run Unreal 3 at full well? Usually there is a good 25-40% increase in speed from generation to generation. Im not talking 7800-7900 that wasn't a generation. 6800-7800 was and the difference was about what I stated. So given those normals...

Unreal 3 might run on a 7900GTX at 1024x768 w/all maxed at around 20-30FPS but the G80 might run it at 30-40 but at least you know that it should be good to go for both Unreal and crytek and all those still DX9 games. You could however choose to wait till G90 comes in Jan/Feb of 07.

i see it slightly differently. Just because Vista is delayed doesn't mean the DX10 won't make the next round of cards(im hoping G80 has DX10 support).

But the point is without Vista there's no NEED to upgrade yet, and no way to know if anyone's done DX10 'right'.

That would be like buying 'USB3.0' product now before the spec is finished, the support is confirmed and there are anyways to test the product's compliance or benifits/issues.

Worry about DX10 when you have a way to be sure you're not buying a bum card IMO. The only way it makes sense to pick the G80, is once they are here, and they outperform the other option you're looking at in DX9.0+ games, and costs the same. Even if DX10 functionality is crap it's still a better deal at that point because it's better bang for the buck than the other options and has checkbox features. Without that kind of comparison stuff like this is conjecture, and if the G80 is delayed like the R520, then it could be a long wait while you could have been playing the whole time on a current card.

My recommendation, buy a 'just under the top' card, like a GF7900GT or X1900XT and then sell and replace, even if it's when the G80 comes out or some other card after that.

The G80 will be out in mid June

That appears to still be the target, but I'll believe it when I see it. How many people said the R520 was out for sure in Jan, March, May, Summer... etc?

Right now I don't see any rush for nV to release other than to get a slight headstart on the R600, and really the GF7900 series is doing very well right now, so what's their motivation?

Just my two frames' worth as always.

Kodiak666

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I think zeekle is close to the money.

Going by previous rounds of hardware development, if the G80 was due out in June/July we would have heard more about it by now. The Inquirer (sorry everyone...) said that the G80 missed it's tape out at the end of March, and so is due out around September-ish-maybe-ish this Autumn (Fall (for Americans)) along with ATI's next generation of cards.

I reckon you should buy now, otherwise you might be waiting a while.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I agree that Direct X10 cards are not currently needed; my biggest reason for possibly getting a G80 in June hopefully included Open EXR HDR+AA.

Also imagine it; from a marketing standpoint, if Nvidia has the first Direct X 10 card out they'll be able to claim that as a major feature that ATI does not have.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sorry to say but untill people know how to remove Vistas' DRM stuff alot of people will never buy it...DX10 or not.

Sorry to say, but you know that's not true. In case you've been living under a rock, this is how it works: Microsoft release OS, People buy it. That's about it, end of. Most people don't care about features, they care about....well, AeroGlass. Not people round here, but we really don't make up a high percentage of the MS sales charts.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The 7900GTX are just amazing but very high priced. The G80 card on the other hand, I sure it's gonna have a GS,GT,GTX versions but I wonder if there's going to be a GTX-PhysX version? A Gpu and PPU in one card, that would be cool. :D

zeeinc

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah ok but the thing is tht is the G80 is coming out this June or the next and is there any confirme report of it comin out at tht time cuz i dont wanna buy a card now and regret it later.

jodo

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I'm not expecting it till Aug/Sep but if ATI hard-launches a new product beforehand I see a paperlaunch for Nvidia early with "enough" to satisfy the masses.

Yeah but the 1800 & 7800 series cards seemed to be doing well but then came 1900 & 7900.

Which were acelerated for other issues, 7900 for performance and price, and the X1900 because they were going to leapfrog the R520 until they figured out the 3rd party glitch.

Neither the G80 nor R600 have those considerations to address.