Wireless keyboard no support in DOS

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 23, 2005 11:56:05 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.

Regards,

Joe :o )
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 24, 2005 3:29:41 AM

"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message news:uep491phifcs340124qm6qh3ic0iihv87j@4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
> Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
> couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
> the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
> surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
> doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
> often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
> TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
> few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
> that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
> wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.

If it's a USB keyboard/mouse then go into the BIOS and see if you have
a setting to enable "legacy mode" support for USB devices. If not, you may
have to update your BIOS, or may be out of luck unless you can find
drivers,
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 24, 2005 11:07:02 AM

Can't be done unless the manufacturer supplied DOS-mode drivers.

"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
> Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
> couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
> the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
> surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
> doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
> often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
> TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
> few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
> that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
> wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.
>

> Regards,
>
> Joe :o )
Related resources
May 24, 2005 3:25:52 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:29:41 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
<bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

>"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message news:uep491phifcs340124qm6qh3ic0iihv87j@4ax.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
>> Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
>> couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
>> the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
>> surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
>> doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
>> often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
>> TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
>> few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
>> that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
>> wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.
>>

>If it's a USB keyboard/mouse then go into the BIOS and see if you have
>a setting to enable "legacy mode" support for USB devices. If not, you may
>have to update your BIOS, or may be out of luck unless you can find
>drivers,

Hi Bill,

Going into the BIOS, and under 'INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS' there was an
option for 'USB Keyboard Suppot'. After enabling that option and
re-booting, there is now keyboard support in DOS. Thanks, for your
help!

Regards,

Joe
May 24, 2005 3:28:52 PM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 07:07:02 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
<rgharper@email.com> wrote:

>Can't be done unless the manufacturer supplied DOS-mode drivers.

Hi, Richard,

Luckily, in the BIOS setup, there is a 'USB Keyboard Support' to
enable the DOS-mode drivers (?) option. The wireless keyboard is
working now in real DOS mode. Probably, I should have taken some time
and asked for recommendations here, on wireless keyboards and optical
mice. I went into the store to buy an optical mouse and it wasn't
much trouble for the salesperson to sell me a wireless keyboard and
mouse package. The documentation is lacking, the keyboard layout is a
bit different (small backspace key and the backslash is on the numeral
key row) however, it is better than the previous old keyboard.
Thanks, for responding.

Regards,

Joe
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 25, 2005 2:14:53 AM

"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message news:rrh691htci5fgm1e15kfaqec80kfa6v6dl@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:29:41 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
> <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:
>
>>"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message news:uep491phifcs340124qm6qh3ic0iihv87j@4ax.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
>>> Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
>>> couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
>>> the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
>>> surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
>>> doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
>>> often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
>>> TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
>>> few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
>>> that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
>>> wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.
>>>

>>If it's a USB keyboard/mouse then go into the BIOS and see if you have
>>a setting to enable "legacy mode" support for USB devices. If not, you may
>>have to update your BIOS, or may be out of luck unless you can find
>>drivers,

> Going into the BIOS, and under 'INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS' there was an
> option for 'USB Keyboard Suppot'. After enabling that option and
> re-booting, there is now keyboard support in DOS.

Thanks for the feedback. Just curious.. what brand BIOS?

Just to add.. enabling USB <legacy> support in the BIOS doesn't load
any DOS drivers. Basically, it causes the BIOS to emulate certain USB
devices (mouse/keyboard) through the PS/2 ports. Also, it's not always
a BIOS option, even if your motherboard supports USB.

"Universal Serial Bus PC Legacy Compatibility Specification"
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usb_le9.pdf
(dated, but it gives a good overview)

Universal Serial Bus Devices Do Not Work in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195241

And! Glad you got it working :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 25, 2005 2:25:56 AM

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> "Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message
> > Going into the BIOS, and under 'INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS' there was an
> > option for 'USB Keyboard Suppot'. After enabling that option and
> > re-booting, there is now keyboard support in DOS.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. Just curious.. what brand BIOS?

Sounds like it may be an Award BIOS.......

....glen
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

waOn Tue, 24 May 2005 22:14:53 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
<bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback. Just curious.. what brand BIOS?

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Copyright (C) 1984 - 98
SAA0721D

Award Plug and Play BIOS Extentsion v1.04

>Just to add.. enabling USB <legacy> support in the BIOS doesn't load
>any DOS drivers. Basically, it causes the BIOS to emulate certain USB
>devices (mouse/keyboard) through the PS/2 ports. Also, it's not always
>a BIOS option, even if your motherboard supports USB.

Um, If you say so. :o ) I missed the boat when it came to 'abstract
technical knowledge'.

>"Universal Serial Bus PC Legacy Compatibility Specification"
>http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usb_le9.pdf
>(dated, but it gives a good overview)
>
>Universal Serial Bus Devices Do Not Work in Safe Mode
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195241
>
>And! Glad you got it working :)

Thanks, Bill, for your help!

Regards,