Wireless keyboard no support in DOS

Hi,

I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.

Regards,

Joe :o)
7 answers Last reply
More about wireless keyboard support

    "Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message news:uep491phifcs340124qm6qh3ic0iihv87j@4ax.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
    > Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
    > couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
    > the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
    > surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
    > doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
    > often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
    > TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
    > few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
    > that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
    > wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.

    If it's a USB keyboard/mouse then go into the BIOS and see if you have
    a setting to enable "legacy mode" support for USB devices. If not, you may
    have to update your BIOS, or may be out of luck unless you can find
    drivers,

    Can't be done unless the manufacturer supplied DOS-mode drivers.

    "Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
    > Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
    > couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
    > the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
    > surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
    > doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
    > often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
    > TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
    > few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
    > that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
    > wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Joe :o)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:29:41 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
    <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

    >"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message news:uep491phifcs340124qm6qh3ic0iihv87j@4ax.com...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
    >> Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
    >> couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
    >> the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
    >> surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
    >> doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
    >> often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
    >> TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
    >> few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
    >> that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
    >> wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.
    >>

    >If it's a USB keyboard/mouse then go into the BIOS and see if you have
    >a setting to enable "legacy mode" support for USB devices. If not, you may
    >have to update your BIOS, or may be out of luck unless you can find
    >drivers,

    Hi Bill,

    Going into the BIOS, and under 'INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS' there was an
    option for 'USB Keyboard Suppot'. After enabling that option and
    re-booting, there is now keyboard support in DOS. Thanks, for your
    help!

    Regards,

    Joe

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 07:07:02 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
    <rgharper@email.com> wrote:

    >Can't be done unless the manufacturer supplied DOS-mode drivers.

    Hi, Richard,

    Luckily, in the BIOS setup, there is a 'USB Keyboard Support' to
    enable the DOS-mode drivers (?) option. The wireless keyboard is
    working now in real DOS mode. Probably, I should have taken some time
    and asked for recommendations here, on wireless keyboards and optical
    mice. I went into the store to buy an optical mouse and it wasn't
    much trouble for the salesperson to sell me a wireless keyboard and
    mouse package. The documentation is lacking, the keyboard layout is a
    bit different (small backspace key and the backslash is on the numeral
    key row) however, it is better than the previous old keyboard.
    Thanks, for responding.

    Regards,

    Joe

    "Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message news:rrh691htci5fgm1e15kfaqec80kfa6v6dl@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:29:41 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
    > <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message news:uep491phifcs340124qm6qh3ic0iihv87j@4ax.com...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I recently bought a wireless keyboard and optical mouse package from
    >>> Radio Shack (Compaq). Installed the drivers. It works alright, a
    >>> couple instances of the mouse becoming inactive (place the mouse in
    >>> the charger base for a moment re-activates it again). What was a
    >>> surprise though, is that there is no DOS support. The keyboard just
    >>> doesn't work. Not the case with the old regular keyboard. Usually, I
    >>> often restart into DOS, use SMARTDRV, and clear the cookies, history,
    >>> TIF, and TEMP folders. Then run a SCANDISK/all. Or, have at hand a
    >>> few other important DOS features. With all the knowledgable folks
    >>> that post to this newsgroup, maybe you will have some suggestions for
    >>> wireless keyboard capability in real DOS mode. Thanks, for all help.
    >>>

    >>If it's a USB keyboard/mouse then go into the BIOS and see if you have
    >>a setting to enable "legacy mode" support for USB devices. If not, you may
    >>have to update your BIOS, or may be out of luck unless you can find
    >>drivers,

    > Going into the BIOS, and under 'INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS' there was an
    > option for 'USB Keyboard Suppot'. After enabling that option and
    > re-booting, there is now keyboard support in DOS.

    Thanks for the feedback. Just curious.. what brand BIOS?

    Just to add.. enabling USB <legacy> support in the BIOS doesn't load
    any DOS drivers. Basically, it causes the BIOS to emulate certain USB
    devices (mouse/keyboard) through the PS/2 ports. Also, it's not always
    a BIOS option, even if your motherboard supports USB.

    "Universal Serial Bus PC Legacy Compatibility Specification"
    http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usb_le9.pdf
    (dated, but it gives a good overview)

    Universal Serial Bus Devices Do Not Work in Safe Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195241

    And! Glad you got it working :)

    "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    > "Joe" <Joe@invalid.con> wrote in message
    > > Going into the BIOS, and under 'INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS' there was an
    > > option for 'USB Keyboard Suppot'. After enabling that option and
    > > re-booting, there is now keyboard support in DOS.
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback. Just curious.. what brand BIOS?

    Sounds like it may be an Award BIOS.......

    ....glen
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    waOn Tue, 24 May 2005 22:14:53 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
    <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

    >Thanks for the feedback. Just curious.. what brand BIOS?

    Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    Copyright (C) 1984 - 98
    SAA0721D

    Award Plug and Play BIOS Extentsion v1.04

    >Just to add.. enabling USB <legacy> support in the BIOS doesn't load
    >any DOS drivers. Basically, it causes the BIOS to emulate certain USB
    >devices (mouse/keyboard) through the PS/2 ports. Also, it's not always
    >a BIOS option, even if your motherboard supports USB.

    Um, If you say so. :o) I missed the boat when it came to 'abstract
    technical knowledge'.

    >"Universal Serial Bus PC Legacy Compatibility Specification"
    >http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usb_le9.pdf
    >(dated, but it gives a good overview)
    >
    >Universal Serial Bus Devices Do Not Work in Safe Mode
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195241
    >
    >And! Glad you got it working :)

    Thanks, Bill, for your help!

    Regards,