message re-install window 98se - missing shlwapi.dll missing

Tim

Whatever has happened to these files and now when I on the pc,it give a
message to say that I need to install w98se.

Error starting programmes "A required Dll file c:\windows\system\shlwapi.dll
is not found"
My question is must I really re-install? Can I use a working w98se and
locate the above file and copy this "shlapi.dll' into a diskette and later
paste into the defective system Please advice as I do not wish to go thru the
log rioute, TIA

[And then I read...]

In addition to my reply to your later post, I will ask:

Is IE6 SP1 installed?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

tim wrote:
> Whatever has happened to these files and now when I on the pc,it give a
> message to say that I need to install w98se.
>
> Error starting programmes "A required Dll file
> c:\windows\system\shlwapi.dll is not found"
> My question is must I really re-install? Can I use a working w98se and
> locate the above file and copy this "shlapi.dll' into a diskette and later
> paste into the defective system Please advice as I do not wish to go thru
> the log rioute, TIA

In answer to your question, yes you can, its original location in WIN98 (most
likely the same in SE). is "windows\system". sometimes this may not be the
only missing or corrupted file, keep your fingers crossed that it is.
Another possibility is that your "shlwapi" is in a different location and
your "registry" may be set up or has changed somehow to locate this "dll"
file in another location. When is the last time you backed up your registry?
Did you do a search for "shlwapi.dll" in your entire hard drive to see if
this might be the case (you might also find "shlwapi.dll" in "windows\vcm" or
"windows vcm.000 then you can just do a "copy/paste" and put it into
"windows\system") ? Whatever you do, before you do it, back up your registry
in case you have to go back that particular point in time. hopefully this
helps you out.