Need your help for building my desktop

9600xttvd

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Hey guys, I plan to build my own desktop in 1 month. It'll be my first try. What do you think of the following components ?

Thx :wink:

config4kj.jpg

Looks great, but with the DFI and Gskill PC4000 you look ready to OC - have you considered the Opteron 165 over the X2 3800?
The 1M cache should make all the difference and it should OC nicely with your setup...

9600xttvd

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Thx for the answer. I do have considered the Opteron but it's too expensive for the moment. :cry: . By the way, I think more cache does not mean better O/c ing 8). Even if the Opteron Core itself has huge O/c potential. :wink:

Looks pretty good. The only thing I may be concerned about is the XFX 7900GT 'XXX', I think the core is clocked at 560MHz and the mem is clock to around 1620MHz or so. It may actually overheat and cause artifacts to appear or worse reboot your PC. So you may be forced to decrease the overclock to "more humble OC'ed levels" even with the Zalman VF900CU. No way to know until you actually start playing games.

Cross your fingers.

9600xttvd

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Looks pretty good. The only thing I may be concerned about is the XFX 7900GT 'XXX', I think the core is clocked at 560MHz and the mem is clock to around 1620MHz or so. It may actually overheat and cause artifacts to appear or worse reboot your PC. So you may be forced to decrease the overclock to "more humble OC'ed levels" even with the Zalman VF900CU. No way to know until you actually start playing games.

Cross your fingers.

In fact, classic Geforce 7900gt is clocked at 450 MHz / 1320 MHz. The "XXX" edition has the highest frequencies. I guess XFX chooses the most stable cards and tests them because they offer a "Double life" warranty on the O/c. With the Zalman cooling system it should be pretty fine :) ... hope so :?: