shlwapi.dll missing

Post the complete error message and state what you were/are doing when you
receive it.

Are you fully up-to-date at Windows Update?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

tim wrote:
> This file is missing from fr c:\windows\system and I download from this
> site http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwapi posted by
> Bill Starbuck. For I extracted the file into the c:\windows\system\ which
> is attached as sec slave (my pri master as d:). Still I can reboot my pc
> and it still give me the same message. Can anyone assist. TIA

Tim

ie6 sp1 installed, ms security cd dec 2204 applied besides the the updates at
ms websites

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Post the complete error message and state what you were/are doing when you
> receive it.
>
> Are you fully up-to-date at Windows Update?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> tim wrote:
> > This file is missing from fr c:\windows\system and I download from this
> > site http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwapi posted by
> > Bill Starbuck. For I extracted the file into the c:\windows\system\ which
> > is attached as sec slave (my pri master as d:). Still I can reboot my pc
> > and it still give me the same message. Can anyone assist. TIA

Tim

1. enabled show he hidden files

2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155

3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.

many thanks

"PA Bear" wrote:

> PS:
>
> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339
>
> 2. Search for SHLWAPI.DLL or look for it in C:\Windows\System32 >
> right-click on it > Properties > What version?
>
> Is IE6 SP1 installed?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Tim

repost my answer..... just in case

"tim" wrote:

> ie6 sp1 installed, ms security cd dec 2204 applied besides the the updates at
> ms websites
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > Post the complete error message and state what you were/are doing when you
> > receive it.
> >
> > Are you fully up-to-date at Windows Update?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > tim wrote:
> > > This file is missing from fr c:\windows\system and I download from this
> > > site http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwapi posted by
> > > Bill Starbuck. For I extracted the file into the c:\windows\system\ which
> > > is attached as sec slave (my pri master as d:). Still I can reboot my pc
> > > and it still give me the same message. Can anyone assist. TIA

Tim

Just checking , for IE6 sp1, I go to c:\prog files\ie and when i open the ie
folders, this is what i see:-

FOLDERS: 1033, Connecton wizard, PLUGINS,SETUP, SIGNUP,Uninstall
information, W2K

DW15.EXE
FIXIE.INF
HMMAPI.DLL
ie4.dll
ie4regn
ie6bak,DAT
ie6bak.INI

IEDETECT.DLL
IESETUP.CIF
IEXPLORE.EXE

licence.txt
readme.txt
support.txt

I dont quite understand why there is the IE6.bak.INI and not the actual
IE6.INI file. Has it been deleted?

"tim" wrote:

> ie6 sp1 installed, ms security cd dec 2204 applied besides the the updates at
> ms websites
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > Post the complete error message and state what you were/are doing when you
> > receive it.
> >
> > Are you fully up-to-date at Windows Update?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > tim wrote:
> > > This file is missing from fr c:\windows\system and I download from this
> > > site http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwapi posted by
> > > Bill Starbuck. For I extracted the file into the c:\windows\system\ which
> > > is attached as sec slave (my pri master as d:). Still I can reboot my pc
> > > and it still give me the same message. Can anyone assist. TIA

2nd reply, now that I see your newer posts, you have given me a much better
idea. Chances are some software that you either still have on your harddrive
is looking for "shlwapi" in a diff. location. For example I have "photo
delux 3.0" and the registry looks for the shlwapi.dll in "program files\photo
delux". What i think is happening is that somewhere in your "registry" a
command is telling to look for"shlwapi" in a place that you no longer have it
located on your hard drive. Do you know how to do a search in your registry?
If you have not,this is no place for the average joe to be messing around in
so be very careful when you are in there, and PLEASE BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. One other option is that if you are familiar with
"configsafe" you can go back to a point back before the time this had
happened. But if you have never backed up your registry this wont help you,
but it will help you if you back it up this time, and you make thingsworse
than it already was. If you search in the registry type in "shlwapi.dll "
and look for the file locations that it is showing ie C:windows\vcm or
C:program files and make sure you put a copy of " shlwapi.dll exactly where
the registry is showing it to be and that should solve your problem

"tim" wrote:

> repost my answer..... just in case
>
> 1. enabled show he hidden files
>
> 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
>
> 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
>
> many thanks
>

> "tim" wrote:
>
> > ie6 sp1 installed, ms security cd dec 2204 applied besides the the updates at
> > ms websites
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> > > Post the complete error message and state what you were/are doing when you
> > > receive it.
> > >
> > > Are you fully up-to-date at Windows Update?
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Tim

No, I have never back up my registry. Since I cannot start the pc how can I
back up the registry now and how do I do a search in the registry? I can only
attach this hdd as a sec slave on my friends' pc. the hdd is virus free
according to NAV2005 and spybot SD

PA BESAR - you are corrct, it should read as "CCEVTMGR"

"mrbigbry" wrote:

> 2nd reply, now that I see your newer posts, you have given me a much better
> idea. Chances are some software that you either still have on your harddrive
> is looking for "shlwapi" in a diff. location. For example I have "photo
> delux 3.0" and the registry looks for the shlwapi.dll in "program files\photo
> delux". What i think is happening is that somewhere in your "registry" a
> command is telling to look for"shlwapi" in a place that you no longer have it
> located on your hard drive. Do you know how to do a search in your registry?
> If you have not,this is no place for the average joe to be messing around in
> so be very careful when you are in there, and PLEASE BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY
> BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. One other option is that if you are familiar with
> "configsafe" you can go back to a point back before the time this had
> happened. But if you have never backed up your registry this wont help you,
> but it will help you if you back it up this time, and you make thingsworse
> than it already was. If you search in the registry type in "shlwapi.dll "
> and look for the file locations that it is showing ie C:windows\vcm or
> C:program files and make sure you put a copy of " shlwapi.dll exactly where
> the registry is showing it to be and that should solve your problem
>
> "tim" wrote:
>
> > repost my answer..... just in case
> >
> > 1. enabled show he hidden files
> >
> > 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
> >
> > 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
> >
> > many thanks
> >

> > "tim" wrote:
> >
> > > ie6 sp1 installed, ms security cd dec 2204 applied besides the the updates at
> > > ms websites

That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for IE6 any
flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself to repair the
mis-versioned file or files.

MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
<quote>
Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
or
C:\Windows\Window~1

To overinstall IE6:
First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV program,
Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.
Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you didn’t
originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
Reboot...the computer.
</quote>

After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some updates, so then
go to Windows Update and install any critical updates it says you need.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1. enabled show he hidden files
>
> 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
>
> 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
>
> many thanks
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > PS:
> >
> > 1. Enable Show Hidden Files
> > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339
> >
> > 2. Search for SHLWAPI.DLL or look for it in C:\Windows\System32 >
> > right-click on it > Properties > What version?
> >
> > Is IE6 SP1 installed?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Tim

glee,

At the moment, I cannot start the pc. The only way to see the content in
this hdd(1) is to connect it as sec slave on another pc.Incidentially the pc
detect this hdd(1) as C: drive. So, how do I re-install IE6 SP1? Can I go to
this working pc d: drive and copy the IE6 SP1 and paste into the hdd(1)?

Just wondering now, why is the shlwapi.dll is too old for IE6 since, I have
been using it for the past 2 months. Look forward for your suggestions, TIA

"glee" wrote:

> That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for IE6 any
> flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself to repair the
> mis-versioned file or files.
>
> MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
> <quote>
> Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
> C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
> or
> C:\Windows\Window~1
>
> To overinstall IE6:
> First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV program,
> Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.
> Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you didn’t
> originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
> Reboot...the computer.
> </quote>
>
> After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some updates, so then
> go to Windows Update and install any critical updates it says you need.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 1. enabled show he hidden files
> >
> > 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
> >
> > 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
> >
> > many thanks
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> > > PS:
> > >
> > > 1. Enable Show Hidden Files
> > > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339
> > >
> > > 2. Search for SHLWAPI.DLL or look for it in C:\Windows\System32 >
> > > right-click on it > Properties > What version?
> > >
> > > Is IE6 SP1 installed?
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Oh, I see you have the drive installed on another computer as a secondary drive
because it won't boot. In that case, you will need to get the correct version of
the shlwapi.dll file from another Win98 computer running IE6 SP1 with all critical
updates installed, and copy it to the problem computer. I have version
6.00.2800.1612 here.
--

> That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for IE6 any
> flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself to repair the
> mis-versioned file or files.
>
> MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
> <quote>
> Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
> C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
> or
> C:\Windows\Window~1
>
> To overinstall IE6:
> First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV program,
> Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.
> Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you didn’t
> originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
> Reboot...the computer.
> </quote>
>
> After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some updates, so
then
> go to Windows Update and install any critical updates it says you need.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 1. enabled show he hidden files
> >
> > 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
> >
> > 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
> >
> > many thanks
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> > > PS:
> > >
> > > 1. Enable Show Hidden Files
> > > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339
> > >
> > > 2. Search for SHLWAPI.DLL or look for it in C:\Windows\System32 >
> > > right-click on it > Properties > What version?
> > >
> > > Is IE6 SP1 installed?
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Gee, that looks familiar. <w>

glee wrote:
> That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for
> IE6 any flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself to
> repair the mis-versioned file or files.
>
> MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
> <quote>
> Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
> C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
> or
> C:\Windows\Window~1
>
> To overinstall IE6:
> First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV
> program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
> Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.
> Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you
> didnâ?Tt originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2
> minutes.
> Reboot...the computer.
> </quote>
>
> After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some
> updates, so then go to Windows Update and install any critical updates it
> says you need.
>
> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 1. enabled show he hidden files
> >
> > 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
> >
> > 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
> >
> > many thanks
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> > > PS:
> > >
> > > 1. Enable Show Hidden Files
> > > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339
> > >
> > > 2. Search for SHLWAPI.DLL or look for it in C:\Windows\System32 >
> > > right-click on it > Properties > What version?
> > >
> > > Is IE6 SP1 installed?
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Agreed & seconded.
--
~PA Bear

glee wrote:
> Oh, I see you have the drive installed on another computer as a secondary
> drive because it won't boot. In that case, you will need to get the
> correct version of the shlwapi.dll file from another Win98 computer
> running IE6 SP1 with all critical updates installed, and copy it to the
> problem computer. I have version
> 6.00.2800.1612 here.

> > That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for
> > IE6 any flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself
> > to repair the mis-versioned file or files.
> >
> > MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
> > <quote>
> > Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
> > C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
> > or
> > C:\Windows\Window~1
> >
> > To overinstall IE6:
> > First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV
> > program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
> > Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts
> > you use (but not any you didnâ?Tt originally download) and overinstall.
> > Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot...the computer.
> > </quote>
> >
> > After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some
> > updates, so then go to Windows Update and install any critical updates
> > it says you need. --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > 1. enabled show he hidden files
> > >
> > > 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
> > >
> > > 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
> > >
> > > many thanks

Yeah, Brian has been hanging out on the same street corners we have, it seems. <g>

> Gee, that looks familiar. <w>
>
> glee wrote:
> > That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for
> > IE6 any flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself to
> > repair the mis-versioned file or files.
> >
> > MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
> > <quote>
> > Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
> > C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
> > or
> > C:\Windows\Window~1
> >
> > To overinstall IE6:
> > First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV
> > program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
> > Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.
> > Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you
> > didnâ?Tt originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2
> > minutes.
> > Reboot...the computer.
> > </quote>
> >
> > After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some
> > updates, so then go to Windows Update and install any critical updates it
> > says you need.
> >
> > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > 1. enabled show he hidden files
> > >
> > > 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
> > >
> > > 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
> > >
> > > many thanks

There you are!....I didn't mean to butt into the thread when you were on a roll, but
I didn't want the OP to have to wait any longer than necessary for a reply. :)

....glen

> Agreed & seconded.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> glee wrote:
> > Oh, I see you have the drive installed on another computer as a secondary
> > drive because it won't boot. In that case, you will need to get the
> > correct version of the shlwapi.dll file from another Win98 computer
> > running IE6 SP1 with all critical updates installed, and copy it to the
> > problem computer. I have version
> > 6.00.2800.1612 here.
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for
> > > IE6 any flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself
> > > to repair the mis-versioned file or files.
> > >
> > > MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
> > > <quote>
> > > Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
> > > C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
> > > or
> > > C:\Windows\Window~1
> > >
> > > To overinstall IE6:
> > > First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV
> > > program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
> > > Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts
> > > you use (but not any you didnâ?Tt originally download) and overinstall.
> > > Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot...the computer.
> > > </quote>
> > >
> > > After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some
> > > updates, so then go to Windows Update and install any critical updates
> > > it says you need. --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

tim wrote:
<snip>
> PA BESAR - you are corrct, it should read as "CCEVTMGR"

What version NAV?

I asked because I saw something somewhere about CCEVTMGR and SHLWAPI.DLL
errors associated with NAV 2003. Damned if I can find the reference now,
though, but CCEVTMGR definitely points to NAV.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Tim

NAV 2005 just install about a month ago, updated to the latest virus definition

"PA Bear" wrote:

> tim wrote:
> <snip>
> > PA BESAR - you are corrct, it should read as "CCEVTMGR"
>
> What version NAV?
>
> I asked because I saw something somewhere about CCEVTMGR and SHLWAPI.DLL
> errors associated with NAV 2003. Damned if I can find the reference now,
> though, but CCEVTMGR definitely points to NAV.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

<kibbitz>

Judging from your other posts in this thread, I'd suspect NAV 2005 may be
playing a role here. Was another version of any Norton product ever
installed? Was another anti-virus app ever installed?

</kibbitz>

All yours, Glee. All h***'s breaking loose elsewhere.
--
~PA Bear

tim wrote:
> Just wondering now, why is the shlwapi.dll is too old for IE6 since, I
> have been using it for the past 2 months. Look forward for your
> suggestions, TIA

Please see my later reply, re: getting a copy of the correct version of shlwapi.dll
from another computer using IE6 SP1 with all the updates, and copying it onto the
hard drive to replace the wrong version.
--

> glee,
>
> At the moment, I cannot start the pc. The only way to see the content in
> this hdd(1) is to connect it as sec slave on another pc.Incidentially the pc
> detect this hdd(1) as C: drive. So, how do I re-install IE6 SP1? Can I go to
> this working pc d: drive and copy the IE6 SP1 and paste into the hdd(1)?
>
> Just wondering now, why is the shlwapi.dll is too old for IE6 since, I have
> been using it for the past 2 months. Look forward for your suggestions, TIA
>

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for IE6 any
> > flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself to repair the
> > mis-versioned file or files.
> >
> > MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
> > <quote>
> > Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
> > C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
> > or
> > C:\Windows\Window~1
> >
> > To overinstall IE6:
> > First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV program,
> > Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.
> > Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you didn’t
> > originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
> > Reboot...the computer.
> > </quote>
> >
> > After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some updates, so
then
> > go to Windows Update and install any critical updates it says you need.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > 1. enabled show he hidden files
> > >
> > > 2. shlwapi is version 4.70.0.1155
> > >
> > > 3. IE6 sp installed as i ran the MS Security CD dated feb 2004.
> > >
> > > many thanks

Tim

Many thanks for all your responses which at times I miss it, I apologise .
I copied the IE6 from another computer with the same version of os and ms
security cd applied and windows updated into the hdd(1), then reboot hdd(1)
on its own. Still it does not work. The funny thing is when I reboot this hdd
with a new monitor, it does detect the new monitor and able to install the
driver inside the drive.

It also give a message "Error starting prog The SHELL32.DLL file is linked
to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL.SHRegGetUSVakueA" with an 'ok' box. It will not
close when I click 'ok'

It also have the "Error loading Explorer.exe. You must re-install
Windows".The 'ok' button also does not response.

so what can I try next.TIA

"glee" wrote:

> Please see my later reply, re: getting a copy of the correct version of shlwapi.dll
> from another computer using IE6 SP1 with all the updates, and copying it onto the
> hard drive to replace the wrong version.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > glee,
> >
> > At the moment, I cannot start the pc. The only way to see the content in
> > this hdd(1) is to connect it as sec slave on another pc.Incidentially the pc
> > detect this hdd(1) as C: drive. So, how do I re-install IE6 SP1? Can I go to
> > this working pc d: drive and copy the IE6 SP1 and paste into the hdd(1)?
> >
> > Just wondering now, why is the shlwapi.dll is too old for IE6 since, I have
> > been using it for the past 2 months. Look forward for your suggestions, TIA
> >

> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > That version of shlwapi.dll is much too old, and is not the version for IE6 any
> > > flavor. You will likely need to reinstall IE6 SP1 over itself to repair the
> > > mis-versioned file or files.
> > >
> > > MS-MVP Brian Sesko has a simple post on how to do this:
> > > <quote>
> > > Look for the IE#setup.exe files in:
> > > C:\Progra~1\Intern~1
> > > or
> > > C:\Windows\Window~1
> > >
> > > To overinstall IE6:
> > > First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV program,
> > > Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.
> > > Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you didn’t
> > > originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
> > > Reboot...the computer.
> > > </quote>
> > >
> > > After you have reinstalled, you will likely need to reinstall some updates, so
> then
> > > go to Windows Update and install any critical updates it says you need.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "I copied the IE6 from another computer"

What?? I posted to copy the shlwapi.dll file only, from another computer with the
same OS and update level.

> "...then reboot hdd(1) on its own."

Did you put the hard drive back into the computer it came from before booting from
it?

Your error message indicates that shell32.dll is expecting a function in shlwapi.dll
that the version you are using does not support.....so you have the wrong version of
one of those files, most likely shlwapi.dll

Please tell us the version number of shlwapi.dll that you copied onto the drive, and
where you put it (what directory).
--

> Many thanks for all your responses which at times I miss it, I apologise .
> I copied the IE6 from another computer with the same version of os and ms
> security cd applied and windows updated into the hdd(1), then reboot hdd(1)
> on its own. Still it does not work. The funny thing is when I reboot this hdd
> with a new monitor, it does detect the new monitor and able to install the
> driver inside the drive.
>
> It also give a message "Error starting prog The SHELL32.DLL file is linked
> to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL.SHRegGetUSVakueA" with an 'ok' box. It will not
> close when I click 'ok'
>
> It also have the "Error loading Explorer.exe. You must re-install
> Windows".The 'ok' button also does not response.
>
> so what can I try next.TIA
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Please see my later reply, re: getting a copy of the correct version of
shlwapi.dll
> > from another computer using IE6 SP1 with all the updates, and copying it onto
the
> > hard drive to replace the wrong version.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >
> > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > glee,
> > >
> > > At the moment, I cannot start the pc. The only way to see the content in
> > > this hdd(1) is to connect it as sec slave on another pc.Incidentially the pc
> > > detect this hdd(1) as C: drive. So, how do I re-install IE6 SP1? Can I go to
> > > this working pc d: drive and copy the IE6 SP1 and paste into the hdd(1)?
> > >
> > > Just wondering now, why is the shlwapi.dll is too old for IE6 since, I have
> > > been using it for the past 2 months. Look forward for your suggestions, TIA

> > then

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

Tim

Glee,
Apologise for not doing the right thing. I still dont understand how I
misinterpret your post.
Yes, I copied the IE6 and replaced the one in hdd(1). In fact, much earlier
on, I copied the shlwapi.dll from the same computer into hdd(1) but it does
not work

Yes, I reboot with hdd(1) from the pc where it comes from and it does not
work. So that means when I copied the shlwapi.dll, it did not work. When I
copied the IE6, it also did ot work

The version of the shlwapi.dll copied is 6.00.2800.1612(xpsp2.041207.1145)
and I pasted into c:windows\system

........ very sorry and thanks

"glee" wrote:

> > "I copied the IE6 from another computer"
>
> What?? I posted to copy the shlwapi.dll file only, from another computer with the
> same OS and update level.
>
> > "...then reboot hdd(1) on its own."
>
> Did you put the hard drive back into the computer it came from before booting from
> it?
>
> Your error message indicates that shell32.dll is expecting a function in shlwapi.dll
> that the version you are using does not support.....so you have the wrong version of
> one of those files, most likely shlwapi.dll
>
> Please tell us the version number of shlwapi.dll that you copied onto the drive, and
> where you put it (what directory).
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Many thanks for all your responses which at times I miss it, I apologise .
> > I copied the IE6 from another computer with the same version of os and ms
> > security cd applied and windows updated into the hdd(1), then reboot hdd(1)
> > on its own. Still it does not work. The funny thing is when I reboot this hdd
> > with a new monitor, it does detect the new monitor and able to install the
> > driver inside the drive.
> >
> > It also give a message "Error starting prog The SHELL32.DLL file is linked
> > to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL.SHRegGetUSVakueA" with an 'ok' box. It will not
> > close when I click 'ok'
> >
> > It also have the "Error loading Explorer.exe. You must re-install
> > Windows".The 'ok' button also does not response.
> >
> > so what can I try next.TIA
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > Please see my later reply, re: getting a copy of the correct version of
> shlwapi.dll
> > > from another computer using IE6 SP1 with all the updates, and copying it onto
> the
> > > hard drive to replace the wrong version.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> > >
> > > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> any

> so
> > > then

> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

No need to apologise! Everyone misunderstands or mis-reads sometimes.....especially
me. ;-)

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to reinstall Internet Explorer 6.
MS-MVP Brian Sesko has simple intructions for this:
First, close all via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Explorer (includes your AV program,
Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.
Select Minimal - Custom, select all the parts you use (but not any you didn’t
originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
Reboot...the computer.

See also:
Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98 --
http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/r5ba
--

> Glee,
> Apologise for not doing the right thing. I still dont understand how I
> misinterpret your post.
> Yes, I copied the IE6 and replaced the one in hdd(1). In fact, much earlier
> on, I copied the shlwapi.dll from the same computer into hdd(1) but it does
> not work
>
> Yes, I reboot with hdd(1) from the pc where it comes from and it does not
> work. So that means when I copied the shlwapi.dll, it did not work. When I
> copied the IE6, it also did ot work
>
> The version of the shlwapi.dll copied is 6.00.2800.1612(xpsp2.041207.1145)
> and I pasted into c:windows\system
>
> ....... very sorry and thanks
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > > "I copied the IE6 from another computer"
> >
> > What?? I posted to copy the shlwapi.dll file only, from another computer with
the
> > same OS and update level.
> >
> > > "...then reboot hdd(1) on its own."
> >
> > Did you put the hard drive back into the computer it came from before booting
from
> > it?
> >
> > Your error message indicates that shell32.dll is expecting a function in
shlwapi.dll
> > that the version you are using does not support.....so you have the wrong
version of
> > one of those files, most likely shlwapi.dll
> >
> > Please tell us the version number of shlwapi.dll that you copied onto the drive,
and
> > where you put it (what directory).
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Many thanks for all your responses which at times I miss it, I apologise .
> > > I copied the IE6 from another computer with the same version of os and ms
> > > security cd applied and windows updated into the hdd(1), then reboot hdd(1)
> > > on its own. Still it does not work. The funny thing is when I reboot this hdd
> > > with a new monitor, it does detect the new monitor and able to install the
> > > driver inside the drive.
> > >
> > > It also give a message "Error starting prog The SHELL32.DLL file is linked
> > > to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL.SHRegGetUSVakueA" with an 'ok' box. It will not
> > > close when I click 'ok'
> > >
> > > It also have the "Error loading Explorer.exe. You must re-install
> > > Windows".The 'ok' button also does not response.
> > >
> > > so what can I try next.TIA

> > shlwapi.dll
> > the

TIA

IE6
> > any

Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe.

> > so

> > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

After re/overinstalling, be sure to check-in at Windows Update. You'll need
all post-IE6 SP1 (and prolly Windows) updates again.

BTW that procedure originated with a longtime, now AWOL, poster to Win98
General known by many of us as "Bicycle Rob". It should not be used in any
OS other than Win98.
--
~PA Bear

TRENDING THREADS