Sign in with
Your question

Installed Xp over windows 7 with external Hard Drive.

Last response: in Windows 7
April 17, 2011 5:36:19 AM

First time poster here. I messed up big time trying to get my dell 1747 to dual boot in xp and win 7, i think. I installed xp on to an external hard drive via and esata connection. Now it won't boot without the external hard drive connected and of course will only boot in xp. The xp disc manager say that windows 7 is the primary os which confused me.

I Tried the windows 7 recovery disc but it won't boot. I'm completely lost here, and I'm looking for the first step to take. AS it stands I have a C:RECOVERY, D:Fantom(my external to which i installed xp) and E: OS, why is E labeled OS? I could really use some help here.

I can't uninstall xp in safe mode with administrator access. I'm wondering if i format the D drive containing Windows xp, if I will Automatically boot from my previous windows 7?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2011 5:52:03 AM

Sounds like you just overwrote your MBR. I've done that a few times myself but it should be fairly easy to recover by using the built in recovery tools on the windows install cd. Just follow the tips here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee851681.as...

or in short, boot into xp, put cd into drive, go to run cmd type in
d:\boot\ bootsect.exe /nt60 all (d being dvd drive)
restart
run cmd as admin in windows 7:
bcdedit /create {ntldr} –d "Menu description goes here"
m
l
!