Fatal Exception OE on Reboot

I have been having a lot of problems lately with reboots and restarts. The
last manifestation of this produced the following message:

"Fatal Exception OE has occured at OS 15F:BFF87154"

This is the first time this message presented. In hope that it might save
time should anyone reply, note that I do not have a W98 CD. This is an OEM
jobbie which did not ship with one.

Although the problems I have been having appear randomly, I do seem to be
able to Restart from Shutdown with fewer snags than by rebooting.

During reboots, the Prompt to select which mode (i.e. Normal, ... Safe Mode,
etc.) always appeared once only until my problems began. This Prompt now
often appears at least twice, sometimes pre-hilit at Safe Mode, even though
Normal had just been selected in the same reboot sequence. The second Prompt
sometimes, but not always, appears after the first display of the W98
signature page.

I seem to remember recently seeing KB891711 appearing among my Sysconfig
Startup Items @ msconfig. It is still listed among Add/Delete Items and is
on Hello C:\, but it is not listed as a Startup Item. Or am I misremembering
?

rooster
boundary bay, b.c.f
7 answers Last reply
More about fatal exception reboot

    (1) For me, KB891711 (the bad one) always caused an "0D", not an "0E".
    The new one solved that completely. Just go to Windows Update, & see
    whether the new one is offered. If it isn't offered, you already must
    have done that. Anyway, it was always an "0D". You needn't uninstall the
    bad one first.

    (2) It could be you have the Win98 CD on your hard drive...
    "START button, Find, F/F, Win98*.cab" (That's *-dot-cab.)
    ....If 55 of them show up, the folder that contains them is a copy of the
    Windows Installation CD. Point SFC to that folder when necessary.

    (3) I don't know, really, but, for random, anomalous problems, perhaps
    begin with...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.
    (When running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You
    must do it in "C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini", per cquirke's advice.)
    REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
    system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
    accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
    on your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
    | I have been having a lot of problems lately with reboots and restarts.
    The
    | last manifestation of this produced the following message:
    |
    | "Fatal Exception OE has occured at OS 15F:BFF87154"
    |
    | This is the first time this message presented. In hope that it might
    save
    | time should anyone reply, note that I do not have a W98 CD. This is an
    OEM
    | jobbie which did not ship with one.
    |

    | Although the problems I have been having appear randomly, I do seem to
    be
    | able to Restart from Shutdown with fewer snags than by rebooting.
    |
    | During reboots, the Prompt to select which mode (i.e. Normal, ... Safe
    Mode,
    | etc.) always appeared once only until my problems began. This Prompt
    now
    | often appears at least twice, sometimes pre-hilit at Safe Mode, even
    though
    | Normal had just been selected in the same reboot sequence. The second
    Prompt
    | sometimes, but not always, appears after the first display of the W98
    | signature page.
    |
    | I seem to remember recently seeing KB891711 appearing among my
    Sysconfig
    | Startup Items @ msconfig. It is still listed among Add/Delete Items
    and is
    | on Hello C:\, but it is not listed as a Startup Item. Or am I
    misremembering
    | ?
    |
    | rooster
    | boundary bay, b.c.f

    Rooster emailed me privately about this as he was having problems connecting
    to this newsgroup. My reply, in part:

    <QP>
    As to your problem accessing the MS newsgroups, you may have just been
    connecting to a "bad" slave server. If/when this happens, leave the
    newsgroup (focus OE elsewhere) and then return after a bit, in hopes that OE
    will now connect to a "good" slave.

    In the error you reference, it's 0E (zero/letter e), not OE (letter o/letter
    e), and has nowt to do with Outlook Express.

    In his message, Rooster wrote:
    > I have been experiencing a lot of problems with reboots resulting in
    > resetting virtually all of my configurations including: msconfig Startup
    > Items, Autoexec.bat, my Windows Display Properties Settings in Control
    > Panel, and my customized K9 proxied email account settings.

    This is not a good sign.

    First off, check for hijackware/Trojans. See below.

    The 871911-related information you posted is normal with the install of the
    re-released version.

    Please only reply to the newsgroup such that everyone may benefit from the
    discussion. Thank you.
    </QP>

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/tshoot.htm
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    rooster wrote:
    > I have been having a lot of problems lately with reboots and restarts. The
    > last manifestation of this produced the following message:
    >
    > "Fatal Exception OE has occured at OS 15F:BFF87154"
    >
    > This is the first time this message presented. In hope that it might save
    > time should anyone reply, note that I do not have a W98 CD. This is an OEM
    > jobbie which did not ship with one.
    >

    > Although the problems I have been having appear randomly, I do seem to be
    > able to Restart from Shutdown with fewer snags than by rebooting.
    >
    > During reboots, the Prompt to select which mode (i.e. Normal, ... Safe
    > Mode, etc.) always appeared once only until my problems began. This
    > Prompt now often appears at least twice, sometimes pre-hilit at Safe
    > Mode, even though Normal had just been selected in the same reboot
    > sequence. The second Prompt sometimes, but not always, appears after the
    > first display of the W98 signature page.
    >
    > I seem to remember recently seeing KB891711 appearing among my Sysconfig
    > Startup Items @ msconfig. It is still listed among Add/Delete Items and is
    > on Hello C:\, but it is not listed as a Startup Item. Or am I
    > misremembering ?
    >
    > rooster
    > boundary bay, b.c.f

    rooster! How'd that RAM check and disk check pan out?

    "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:ucl4OKMYFHA.2380@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >I have been having a lot of problems lately with reboots and restarts. The
    > last manifestation of this produced the following message:
    >
    > "Fatal Exception OE has occured at OS 15F:BFF87154"
    >
    > This is the first time this message presented. In hope that it might save
    > time should anyone reply, note that I do not have a W98 CD. This is an OEM
    > jobbie which did not ship with one.
    >

    > Although the problems I have been having appear randomly, I do seem to be
    > able to Restart from Shutdown with fewer snags than by rebooting.
    >
    > During reboots, the Prompt to select which mode (i.e. Normal, ... Safe Mode,
    > etc.) always appeared once only until my problems began. This Prompt now
    > often appears at least twice, sometimes pre-hilit at Safe Mode, even though
    > Normal had just been selected in the same reboot sequence. The second Prompt
    > sometimes, but not always, appears after the first display of the W98
    > signature page.
    >
    > I seem to remember recently seeing KB891711 appearing among my Sysconfig
    > Startup Items @ msconfig. It is still listed among Add/Delete Items and is
    > on Hello C:\, but it is not listed as a Startup Item. Or am I misremembering
    > ?
    >
    > rooster
    > boundary bay, b.c.f

    Rooster would seem to be having problems accessing this NG, Bill, even using
    MS newsserver.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Bill Blanton wrote:
    > rooster! How'd that RAM check and disk check pan out?
    >

    > "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
    > > I have been having a lot of problems lately with reboots and restarts.
    > > The last manifestation of this produced the following message:
    > >
    > > "Fatal Exception OE has occured at OS 15F:BFF87154"
    > >
    > > This is the first time this message presented. In hope that it might
    > > save time should anyone reply, note that I do not have a W98 CD. This
    > > is an OEM jobbie which did not ship with one.
    > >

    > > Although the problems I have been having appear randomly, I do seem to
    > > be able to Restart from Shutdown with fewer snags than by rebooting.
    > >
    > > During reboots, the Prompt to select which mode (i.e. Normal, ... Safe
    > > Mode, etc.) always appeared once only until my problems began. This
    > > Prompt now often appears at least twice, sometimes pre-hilit at Safe
    > > Mode, even though Normal had just been selected in the same reboot
    > > sequence. The second Prompt sometimes, but not always, appears after
    > > the first display of the W98 signature page.
    > >
    > > I seem to remember recently seeing KB891711 appearing among my Sysconfig
    > > Startup Items @ msconfig. It is still listed among Add/Delete Items and
    > > is on Hello C:\, but it is not listed as a Startup Item. Or am I
    > > misremembering ?
    > >
    > > rooster
    > > boundary bay, b.c.f

    Its too soon to tell if my system has actually restableized, but for
    the nonce, it has rebooted ok the last 2 times.

    The difficulty accessing this NG was due to the *problem* having reset:
    "View" => "Current View", option to "Show All Messages", as unchecked.
    I was fortunate to have saved PCR's Rx above from another recent Q of
    mine (Defrag Defunct) , so I was able to run through the
    C:\Windows\Options\CABS?, SFC drill viz. OS 15F:BFF87154 in lieu of being
    able to access his reply to this one.
    At first, I didn't think this had fixed anything since the reboot still
    generated a raft of anomalies. But I ran yet another Scandisk and a 7 or 9
    errors popped up which I had the program "fix". Most, if not all of the
    error alerts cited improper clock issues ..... which related back to Ap. 9
    when I downloaded the KB891711. It was two days before I noticed that my
    computer clock had been set ahead exactly 6 months. For whatever reason,
    these Scandisk errors didn't show up before, even though I must have run the
    program at least half a dozen times in the last month. I reckon replacing
    the wonky file from the *.cabs had something to do with it.

    Sept 9.05 also showed up as one of the 4 dates to choose from when I
    did the scanreg/restore thing recently. That could have caused a lot of
    foul-ups if the machine had been trying to boot itself into the future, I
    reckon.

    Bill B.: RAM and ASUS disk check
    I exited AVG and have been working offline with firewall stopping all
    traffic, with the exception of this ng, so I haven't dared d/l or run
    anything on the net until now. I needed to assure myself AVG wasn't causing
    some of my problems since v. 7, the v.7 'fix' and the .308 Update coincided
    with a bunch of strange things happening. Now would be a good time to do
    this and I appreciate the suggestion.

    I can't thank y'all enough for all your help this past year. I'm
    running a Power mac on another line and by this time tomorrow I hope to have
    a new PC running XP Home on this line. I hope some of you's slum on over to
    that forum betimes... I can almost guarantee I shall be as big a nuisance
    over there as I have been here. I have no idea whether I can/should harness
    Ol' Paint ( W98:16 mB @ 133mHz) with a 512 mB @ 2.6gHz, 160 gB HDD
    thingamajig; we'll see I guess.

    Happy trails,
    rooster

    You are welcome. Well, better watch your system date! Now that you've
    set it back to the present, better delete that post-dated RB..cab.
    Otherwise, likely no Registry backups will be made until that date is
    reached. First make a current backup of your own... "START button, Run,
    Scanreg". What was the date of the latest RB..cab other than that one?
    It would be the date the mishap happened.

    (a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt".
    (b) CD C:\Windows\Sysbckup
    (c) DIR RB???.cab /od
    (d) Use the "Mark" button, outline with mouse, "Copy" & post for
    inspection...

    C:\>CD C:\Windows\Sysbckup
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP>DIR RB???.cab /od
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP
    RBBAD CAB 1,567,899 04-14-05 3:18p rbbad.cab
    RB004 CAB 1,586,149 05-22-05 11:51a rb004.cab
    RB005 CAB 1,586,119 05-23-05 10:28p rb005.cab
    RB000 CAB 1,586,088 05-24-05 3:52p rb000.cab
    RB001 CAB 1,586,131 05-25-05 12:27a rb001.cab
    RB002 CAB 1,586,400 05-26-05 5:24p rb002.cab
    6 file(s) 9,498,786 bytes

    Note, on 4/14, I did a Scanreg /Fix, which created the RBbad. It is also
    created when Windows decides on it's own to replace a Registry with one
    of the backups. Then, the Registry that was replaced ends up in RBbad.

    One is created at the first successful boot per day, when all is well.
    So, check those dates. When Windows detects a Registry corruption at
    boot, it will look for one of those backups to replace it with. If there
    only is a very old one in there, it would explain a loss of recent
    changes to settings at reboot.

    --

    "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message news:O1hwBHeYFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Its too soon to tell if my system has actually restableized, but for
    > the nonce, it has rebooted ok the last 2 times.
    >
    > The difficulty accessing this NG was due to the *problem* having reset:
    > "View" => "Current View", option to "Show All Messages", as unchecked.
    > I was fortunate to have saved PCR's Rx above from another recent Q of
    > mine (Defrag Defunct) , so I was able to run through the
    > C:\Windows\Options\CABS?, SFC drill viz. OS 15F:BFF87154 in lieu of being
    > able to access his reply to this one.
    > At first, I didn't think this had fixed anything since the reboot still
    > generated a raft of anomalies. But I ran yet another Scandisk and a 7 or 9
    > errors popped up which I had the program "fix". Most, if not all of the
    > error alerts cited improper clock issues ..... which related back to Ap. 9
    > when I downloaded the KB891711. It was two days before I noticed that my
    > computer clock had been set ahead exactly 6 months. For whatever reason,
    > these Scandisk errors didn't show up before, even though I must have run the
    > program at least half a dozen times in the last month. I reckon replacing
    > the wonky file from the *.cabs had something to do with it.
    >
    > Sept 9.05 also showed up as one of the 4 dates to choose from when I
    > did the scanreg/restore thing recently. That could have caused a lot of
    > foul-ups if the machine had been trying to boot itself into the future, I
    > reckon.
    >
    > Bill B.: RAM and ASUS disk check
    > I exited AVG and have been working offline with firewall stopping all
    > traffic, with the exception of this ng, so I haven't dared d/l or run
    > anything on the net until now. I needed to assure myself AVG wasn't causing
    > some of my problems since v. 7, the v.7 'fix' and the .308 Update coincided
    > with a bunch of strange things happening. Now would be a good time to do
    > this and I appreciate the suggestion.
    >
    > I can't thank y'all enough for all your help this past year. I'm
    > running a Power mac on another line and by this time tomorrow I hope to have
    > a new PC running XP Home on this line.

    Just to let you know, the diagnostic software to test memory (Docmemory and
    Memtest86), and the disk manufacturer's utilities install to a floppy, and
    run on boot-up. You can download and create the boot floppys with your new
    system, and then boot the problem system with the floppys. The memory
    should be tested before the disk check of course.

    With all the random errors you've been posting lately, you really should
    abandon working on getting the software to work, and concentrate on
    testing the hardware until you can determine it's good or bad. Hardware
    failure isn't always "all or nothing", and partial failure will cause
    software, including the OS, to behave erractically.

    > I hope some of you's slum on over to
    > that forum betimes... I can almost guarantee I shall be as big a nuisance
    > over there as I have been here. I have no idea whether I can/should harness
    > Ol' Paint ( W98:16 mB @ 133mHz) with a 512 mB @ 2.6gHz, 160 gB HDD
    > thingamajig; we'll see I guess.

    Or maybe you don't even need that old box anymore.. ;)

Windows