Last response: in CPUs

Intel Dual Core - D930 3Ghz Vs AMD Single Core X64 3700+

Total: 94 votes

• dual core: Intel D930
  • 54 %
  • single core: AMD X64 3700+
  • 47 %
April 28, 2006 1:16:04 PM

It's for a gaming rig and must not use too much energy coz we'll have 50 of these running. VGA's are 7900GT's

Which CPU would you choose and why ?

More about : d930 3700 vote

April 28, 2006 1:30:31 PM

well of course coz, Intel is Intel and everyone knows it! AMD 3700+ doesn't even comes near D930 :wink: you'll see when you place them side by side :lol:  so intel is for sure the better choice by all aspects...! D930 has some great features in it SpeedStep, Virtualization, OCable etc etc so Intel Is the Best!
April 28, 2006 2:12:02 PM

Quote:
It's for a gaming rig and must not use too much energy coz we'll have 50 of these running. VGA's are 7900GT's

First of all you are asking rediculous question. Power does not matter for desktops, especially for gaming where performance is the main and sometimes the only factor for making decisions what config to build. You will waste much more money on high-end hardware than the energy power it will spend.
The comparison is not apropriate only becouse the chips have different prices. Thats why i will choose none of the listed CPUs. I use to overclock my chips, so if I choose for gaming that would be an Opteron Venus s939 146 or 148, DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra mainboard and any not too much expencive DDR modules with BH5 chips(ex. Geil Value One).
If I need dual core(I know only 2 games compiled for multicore processing) it will not be any Pentium4. I will choose Athlon64 X2, Opteron or Core Duo if I have to choose right now.
I have no dual core chip yet, I am waiting for Conroe and for Vista&appropriate 64bit software optimized for multicore chips.
Related resources
April 28, 2006 2:27:03 PM

Quote:
well of course coz, Intel is Intel and everyone knows it! AMD 3700+ doesn't even comes near D930 :wink: you'll see when you place them side by side :lol:  so intel is for sure the better choice by all aspects...! D930 has some great features in it SpeedStep, Virtualization, OCable etc etc so Intel Is the Best!

The 3700+ will peform better in almost all todays apps.
The D930 will be be better when running two CPU requestfull apps at same time and that is very rare and unneeded case.
The Intel Virtualization is feature that does nothing about performance, allows multiple OSes to run at same time and that means sharing its resources between those OSes and the running services and apps or less performance for each.
EEIST(Enhanced Intel Speed Step Technology) does nothig about performance. It is feature that alows the CPU to change its multiplier and voltage when there is no CPU time request, so the CPU will run colder and will spend less energy. With the TM1 or TM2, those technologies are equivalent to the AMD CNQ(Cool and Quiet), and both are doing nothing about the performance.
The EMT64T&x86-64 are useless also, becouse there are no 64bit apps & drivers, and even if there were, there will be almost no perofmance improvement.
April 28, 2006 2:48:28 PM

First of all, there's no such thing as a stupid q, just stupid people 8)

I m quite clear: i will run 50 of these babies, so imagine 50 of these running 24 hours a day in a cafe. Apart from the heat, the energy is BIG bucks every month for the electricity bills.

Both Speedstep and CnQ are just perfect technologies for this case.
Now we just need to find out (if smbody can tell us) if the future games are going to be using the Dual Core, and that the AMD Α64 (single) isn't just wasted money if it becomes obsolete in a year or two.

Performance wise offcourse the 3700+ burns less (heat and electricity) than the Intel D930 and more or less it's faster in TODAY'S games.
What about 2mrw or next year?!
In Greece these two CPU's today cost exactly the same! ;) 
April 28, 2006 2:55:25 PM

well... i appreciate your comparison skills but i think you should also be visionary in this case about the investment... it's not about today its about both today and tomorrow, so once again i'll suggest Intel over AMD by all means!
April 28, 2006 2:57:26 PM

there are megale malakes in greece if they are selling those two chips for the same money. I can buy the 3700+ for 205E, while hte 930 for 275E form my dealer.
If you plain not to change the hardware in near future, than wait two or three months. There are rumors that Conroe will be available on the market this summer. That is the right choice with no excuses. Both 3700+ and 930 will not be enough good for tomorow games.
There is option to buy the 630(930 is doublecore 630 exactly) with appropriate motherboards that will support Conroe and DDR2 that is needed for the LGE775 motherboards. Latter you can change only the CPUs(the 630 for Conroe) without making any other differences and boost them a lot.
April 28, 2006 3:00:41 PM

Hey,
There's a wealth of knowledge to be found here on these forumz and while alot of people are willing to help you, you should really try helping yourself first. Did you even try using the search feature for answers to you question???? Being a newb is NO excuse as there's been numerous comparisons done between multiple CPU's and probably HUNDREDS of questions like yours asked. Do some research first, PLEASE.

Your trying to compare apple's and orange's with your question. Yes, they are both fruit, but of different natures and usage profiles. You want low power requirements/ heat dissipation and mostly gaming performance, choose the AMD. If your even thinking of an Intel PD 930 then, again, do the research for it's strength's and weaknesses. The ONLY way you would pick the 930 over the 3700+ for gaming is if your going to Overclock significantly and eventually grow up and use the 930 for something more than gaming down the road. You will obviously have power consumption and heat dissipation issue's with the 930 but BOTH can be overcome easily. Again, do your research. If it seems I'm stressing using research, I am! Research is NOT just asking questions, it's also reading what others more knowledgeable than yourself have written. If there's something beyond your understanding, then ask the relevant questions.

I sincerely hope you were not looking to incite another AMD vs. Intel flaming war here. Most people here with at least half a brain are tired of that BS.
April 28, 2006 3:03:36 PM

Ignorant fanboy spew. Get a clue.
April 28, 2006 3:07:02 PM

Although not as fast as a FX-60, anyone who cares about low power consumption and wants to game should at least consider a Core Duo processor in a desktop configuration IMHO... or just wait for Conroe.
April 28, 2006 3:21:38 PM

The mobos for core duo are few, far between, and expensive.

PS Apples >Oranges. Then again, Jackfruit>ALL.
April 28, 2006 4:19:36 PM

Quote:
The mobos for core duo are few, far between, and expensive.

PS Apples >Oranges. Then again, Jackfruit>ALL.

Like rabbits... they're multiplying. This poster sounded particularly concerned about power consumption and I still believe a Core Duo is his best option.
April 28, 2006 5:40:08 PM

For those of you who kept on telling the poster to wait for Conroe blah blah blah...may be you haven't noticed that the guy is going to put all those PCs in a cafe. Which means that he is most likely going to open a business. Of course, he needs to make a decision now; before his neighbours decide to do the same thing and grab all his potential customers.

Please stick with the original question...The guy asked to vote between D930 and 3700+;not Conroe, not Opteron, nor Core Duo...50/50...2 choices to pick...what is so hard to understand?

In my opinion, I will pick the D930 over the 3700+ for a very simple reason, dual cores. Eventhough we only have a few games which can use multi cores now, we all know that both AMD and Intel chose 2 or more cores as the way to go for the future. And game developers will soon follow.

Core Duo running on desktop pcs are for enthusiasts and not officially supported by Intel.
April 28, 2006 6:44:36 PM

If cost is a factor..... which I am sure it is..... You can go a couple of different ways, and this is something you can do today, I am not going to try to talk you into waiting 1. that was not your question 2. I am not a salesman for Intel(or AMD, seems most people here are trying to sell Intel chips though)

That being said. I am not really sure how long it will take for games to start using 2 cores..... but as it stands already, unless you are playing at low settings.... even the single core cpu's do not bottleneck the games. In my opinion, the best way to go about this, is to buy the 3200 venice.... which will still outperform the 930 in all gaming benchmarks I have seen thus far and save some money since you are trying to run a business.... I am sure every penny counts. In all honesty, anyone that has a two year old cpu and a fast video card can still run games at high settings at close to the same frame rates as someone with a brand new cpu, and the same video card. If you want to spend enough to buy either the D930 or the 3700 I would have to say go with the 930. I just don't see games being bottlenecked at the CPU anytime soon. And by the time they are, we will probably have to upgrade the platform anyway. But I guess it also depends on the resolution you will be running the games at. If you are going to run them @ 1024x768, then you might see the FPS go from 100-150.... which the human eye cannot see that fast anyway. My main point is you will save close to $5000 just on the cpu's alone, and get faster gaming performance out of the 3200 over the 930. Granted games might become multi-threaded soon, but, will the game makers make them twice as cpu intensive? And with a decent video card, the only time you would see the difference would be when you are using FRAPS in low settings....
April 28, 2006 7:19:28 PM

You guys rock! Really!
weskurtz81, noblekitty, zarooch, gOJDO: respect!
And mr.CustomPCz: this aint no flame treat, it's a very serious one. All you guys above, anytime you visit Greece, you come to the cafe and you get free gaming! :) 

These kind of cafe work 24hrs, so energy is quite important.
But most important is the performance. Noblekitty is so right in her post, I also see future in gaming will use the two cores.
And you think I haven't thought of the Conroe or the AM2?
It's just the fact that I cannot wait more than 1 month to open the business, coz rent is running and losing income.

Do you think with the D930, I ll need more Watts on the PSU?
I was thinking 400W for the AMD
(1 CPU, 1 HDD, 1 7900GT)
April 28, 2006 7:30:48 PM

for that setup a good 400w psu will work for either.... The 930 runs around 100watts, while the venice 3200 is probably between 55-65TDP.... AMD tends to over estimate it's TDP, while Intel..... as long as you don't OC at all.... is normally dead on.... The AMD system under load would probably not pull more than 130-150 Watts from the wall, the Intel system would be closer to 200 +-10..... Only suggestion is, if you go with the 930, make sure to get a good solid PSU, not that I would suggest other wise for any PC build to be honest though.

As the poster below says, you may be better off with a better PSU for the 930. @200W and a 400W PSU that is only 75% efficient you are looking at about 100W to play with, it would probably work just fine, but, you never know. And they tend to become less efficient as time passes. Keep cooling costs in mind, your gaming cafe may get pretty hot with 50 930's in it. May not be an issues, just a thought.
April 28, 2006 7:31:54 PM

Well,
Since your seriously considering the 930, I would recommend a 500W psu and a quality HSF to keep temps down. That 930 will Overclock very well with good air cooling should you need the xtra horsepower for gaming. The price is certainly right now that they're about $215-220.
Good luck to you and your business.
April 28, 2006 7:34:30 PM

Quote:
You guys rock! Really!
weskurtz81, noblekitty, zarooch, gOJDO: respect!
And mr.CustomPCz: this aint no flame treat, it's a very serious one. All you guys above, anytime you visit Greece, you come to the cafe and you get free gaming! :) 

These kind of cafe work 24hrs, so energy is quite important.
But most important is the performance. Noblekitty is so right in her post, I also see future in gaming will use the two cores.
And you think I haven't thought of the Conroe or the AM2?
It's just the fact that I cannot wait more than 1 month to open the business, coz rent is running and losing income.

Do you think with the D930, I ll need more Watts on the PSU?
I was thinking 400W for the AMD
(1 CPU, 1 HDD, 1 7900GT)
24 hours a day? You are going to require good cooling and outstanding stability.
April 28, 2006 7:52:39 PM

thanx alot!, i gave you my opinion which could help you in the future coz business is not about 2 3 or 4 months, business is a huge thing and someday you might be having opening more of these cafe in different places, so you have to think of today's solutions that would benefit and meet tomorrows needs! anywayz... best of luck with your great business!
April 28, 2006 8:01:33 PM

No problem man, I am glad I could help. Good luck, and frag on.
April 28, 2006 8:10:19 PM

will it be offtopic if I ask your opinion on PSU's and a good reliable M/B for the D930? M/B shouldn't cost more than $120 (100euro) and PSU ... well... around $40-60 can I get something decent ? Or just go with the crappy 400W's the cases come with and get few spare so when they fry i just change them?

@CustomPCz: o/c is a forbiden word in this work :) 
April 28, 2006 8:17:32 PM

If you don't plain to upgrade your PCs in near future, than the 3700+ is better choice than the 930D for gaming.
You can use any crap PSU that is around $20 and change them when they die. 3 20$ PSUs will work for longer than 1 for $60, for sure. You will notice no difference in performance and in power consumation.
BTW, mainboard and ram are another imortant factor that impacts performance and price. You should consider the overall system price in your math, not only the CPUs.
Good luck with your decission and good luck in your new bussines.
I visit Greece very often, mostly cities on the Aegean shore. Where is your caffe located, I want to play for free :lol:  ?
April 28, 2006 8:25:59 PM

For the 930 I would recommend a 450W min. You can get the Antec True Power 480 for around $80 USD. And for the motherboard, the best one in my opinion with price in mind, would be the ASUS P5LD2 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P. But I am not to experienced with the latest Intel mobo's so I am not 100% sure.
April 28, 2006 8:44:10 PM

Quote:

First of all you are asking rediculous question. Power does not matter for desktops, especially for gaming where performance is the main and sometimes the only factor for making decisions what config to build. You will waste much more money on high-end hardware than the energy power it will spend.

Actually it's not an unreasonable question. Assuming 50 PCs on 24/7, 30 days a month, if his cost per kilowatt is $0.10, and the difference is even only 30 watts, it's still over $100/mo, which he would have to make up in sales.

It's not a lot, but as a business owner, you don't want to waste money in the operating costs, because you won't likely get that back.

Incase you don't know, electricity consumption is one of Google's biggest problems for many reasons.

As an aside, it would be interesting, (having 50 PCs), to create a cooling "bus" much like your electric lines which cool all the PCs with say water cooling. It would have to be well done, as the problems could be... messy ;) 

John
April 28, 2006 8:47:38 PM

johngoodwin.... and it would probably acutally average out to higher than 30watts.... good point.
April 28, 2006 8:54:30 PM

@gOJDO: In Athens, the capital, just PM when u come and you ll have the best machine just for yourself :) 

@weskurtz81: $80 per PSU takes me out of budget.
I found these babies here that are around $50, what do you think?
http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13981
April 28, 2006 8:56:43 PM

It would need more specs on those.... it doesn't list efficiency or amperage. It is 500W max.... so be careful.... that is not a true 500W psu.
April 28, 2006 9:37:16 PM

I use 420W Deluxe power supply for my overclocked system.
see the specs in my sign.
i have floppy, tv/fm card, modem, LG DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW, Sony DVD-RW also attached on the same PSU, and my system works just stable and fine.
My PSU costs 25$, and my system is turned on 24/7 for more than 2 years.
If I put in calc that you will have probbly nly 1 hd(i have 3) and no CD/DVD, floppy and other hardware, it is enough for the 3700+ & 7900GTX.
May 1, 2006 7:09:03 AM

well, should I go for a PSU with a 12cm fan or 8cm (or 2x8cm) ?
May 1, 2006 9:54:12 AM

Yup. More like 70 watts plus psu eficiency. Looking more like an extra 95 watts (cpu efficiency of 65%)
Then again, we are talking Greece right. Air cond is really inefficient Every watt of heat requires two watts of cooling. Looks like that $100/month just went up to over a grand a month.
All so you can get a chip that's not as good now, but may be better later, or not.
May 1, 2006 1:01:44 PM

Quote:
well, should I go for a PSU with a 12cm fan or 8cm (or 2x8cm) ?

the one i have has 12cm fan, placed horizontal on the bottom. the 12 cm is better becouse it is running on lower RPM therefore making less noise, but having the same or better flux(the surace is going with the power of 3 in the math calc) of flowing air.

@gOJDO: In Athens, the capital, just PM when u come and you ll have the best machine just for yourself

athens is far, i use to visit thesalloniki more:)  if i visit athens soon, i will probably waste the available time on parties & women. 10x 4 the invitation, i'll pm you when i visit and maybe kick your ass in any game on your best machine:) 
May 1, 2006 6:09:01 PM

Dual is dual but really,most games don't take advantage of it... yet.
To answer your question i would honestly go with a Pentium M. Otherwise it does not matter. P-D= AMD 3700 overall in games. If it weren't for the C1 stepping i would have sugested AMD but now well now there problem will be picking up gfx cards not CPUs. Cause these two will be slown down by budget or even mid range gfx card. I'd rather focus on that.
You can also consider the Cedar Mill.

Again problem will remain the video card. Considering you'll be running a Net cafe i'd go with a 7600GT.
May 1, 2006 7:49:44 PM

g0GD0, anytime mate, i ll frag you up so badly, you wont be able to click a mouse for a week :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  just pick the game

CompGeek: If you read the topic, the GPU's are 7900GT's :roll:

Any idea guys when exactly the AM2 stuff will hit the market?
Maybe it's worth to wait a week or two for them?

Also please recommend a 450W PSU around 50-60$
May 1, 2006 8:16:54 PM

Quote:
g0GD0, anytime mate, i ll frag you up so badly, you wont be able to click a mouse for a week :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  just pick the game

CompGeek: If you read the topic, the GPU's are 7900GT's :roll:

Any idea guys when exactly the AM2 stuff will hit the market?
Maybe it's worth to wait a week or two for them?

Also please recommend a 450W PSU around 50-60$

wait for AM2? forget it. AM2 is just a platform, the CPU's are the same. If you are willing to wait for Conroe, I'd say go with Conroe, cuz it's the best. Right now, the D930 looks good, but it's hard to say, because of power consumption + heat. In the future it might be the best, but the 3700 should perform as well in games with less power and heat. :) 
May 1, 2006 8:27:26 PM

how much more power consumption and heat from the AMD ?!
Is there some site/review on that issue ?

Also a very interesting article (if our dear mods think it's not appropriate to link other sites, you are free to remove the link)

Do you think 400W are enough for a AMD3700+, 1 HDD and 1 GF7900GT?
I remind you there is no O/C whatsoever!
May 1, 2006 8:31:45 PM

It's not enough. I suggest a few hamster wheels.
May 1, 2006 8:34:21 PM

well, the reason to wait for AM2 would be an upgrade path.... but other than that, the first CPU's to release on the new platform will be the same speed. However if you plan to upgrade downthe road with out a doubt there will be much faster cpu's on that platform. But, in all honesty, the most important thing for games is a good video card.... not the fastest cpu. The only difference is a few frames per second, and keep in mind, anything above 30-40fps is faster than what the eye can even pick up..... so you would not see the difference between 45 and 145 fps..... but yes, Conroe will be faster than the K8 cpu's that release with AM2, but AM2 will provide the upgrade path which 939 will not.... and from what I have read, compatability is sketchy with current mobo's and Conroe, but I could be wrong.
May 1, 2006 8:37:37 PM

sokos.... more than enough for that setup.... just get a good psu no matter how much output it has.... that setup will run at about 160-175 watts draw from your outlet.... so that means the system is actually using about 110-125 watts.... you would be fine....
May 2, 2006 12:02:57 AM

That case would probably suit your needs, I don't normally buy cases with 80mm fans, but it may be very quiet since that is what they claim. I think it would work fine.... the only thing that may be suspect is the PSU, says 350 continuous.... might be cutting it a bit close..... you would probably never get that high, you would probably never even break 250, but if I were building it I would probably go with a 400. But, you could always buy one of every componet and throw the system together, stress test it, game on it, and see if it will supply what you need.
May 2, 2006 1:35:23 AM

I told you that 400W would be enough. Just try one like the mine 420W(350W continuous), I think it will be fine and more than enough and it will cost you only 25$. Don't waste 50x$25=$1250.
I am not sure, I think that the 7900GT is spending around 150W when tortured in 3D, someone confirm.
The A64 3700+ consumes 89W, while the P-D 930 95W, but that is on full load. Consider when idle they will spend about 30W. So monthly you wont save much with the 3700+, if all 50 systems work at 100% CPU load for 1 month you will save 50*0.006kW*24hours*30days*$0.1=$21.6 on energy bills.
and about the AM2, forget it, it will cost you more and give less performance than s939. If you are thinking of an upgrade than go With Intel and mobo that will support Conroe. Else the 3700+ is the right choice.
May 2, 2006 4:44:48 AM

AMD tends to over rate TDP, so I would venture to guess the 3700 is more closer to the low to mid 70's under load at stock. The 7900Gt has a TDP of 80 watts. So it really isn't that bad. As for the 9XX series cpus, the 920 and 930 are lower power than the higher ones. The 940 and 950 are around 130TDP.... almost double the 3700. But the 930 isn't bad.... just a little hotter, not by much at stock though....
May 2, 2006 7:56:20 AM

Sry.
7900GT? That's a lot of GPU power.
Go P-M. It is the most energy efficient CPU and a very good gamer.
Otherwise in this case AMD 3700,or better yet Opty 144 and OC it to 2.5 Ghz. Believe me that they are rock stable at that speed.
May 2, 2006 10:26:54 PM

You should NEVER demoralise any CPU by shoving it into a dell system.

*stokes CPU* "ill never do that to you, weally i wove ya" :roll:
May 31, 2006 8:31:51 PM

UPDATE:

I got myself a MSI K9N M/b with a AM2 3500+ CPU, works nice so I ordered half of these babies!
The other half of the machines are going to be Intel D930's with i945 Foxconn M/B's (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cf...)

Now I m stuck with what RAM to get for these babies!
June 1, 2006 2:55:37 AM

You will need DDR2-800 CL4 or CL3(the better choice) for the 3500+.
For the D 930, you will need DDR2-667 CL5 or CL4.
I can't tell you which brand and model, I have not tested DDR2 modules becouse I am stuck with DDR & AMD for years. I know that the german BH-5/BH-6 are the best chips for DDR memory modules.
June 1, 2006 7:08:36 AM

thanks G0dj0!
problem is that I cannot find 800Mhz CL4 at a decent price!!!

argh :x

For the D930's, can I install these babies?
http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/twi...

For the AMD AM2 what about this?
http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=71
Are the GEIL any good or better to install also the Corsair 667Mhz of the above link? Please remember there is no O/C, i just want them to be stable and play games well.

Please help me, I need to order today!
June 1, 2006 7:35:39 AM

wusy what would you pick (in a budget) if you were in my shoes?
June 1, 2006 11:07:13 AM

Quote:
You will need DDR2-800 CL4 or CL3(the better choice) for the 3500+.
For the D 930, you will need DDR2-667 CL5 or CL4.
I can't tell you which brand and model, I have not tested DDR2 modules becouse I am stuck with DDR & AMD for years. I know that the german BH-5/BH-6 are the best chips for DDR memory modules.

Actually it's the other way around.
Windsor/Orleans needs x-3-3-x 1T or below not CAS.
Most common memory latencies given in DRAM specifications are in the folowing order:
CAS(Column Address Strobe) Latency - RAS(Row Address Strobe) to CAS Delay - RAS Precharge - Cycle time(tRAS) - Command Rate

- CAS Latency is the time in cycles between specifying a memory address and accessing its contents.
- The RAS to CAS delay is the delay in cycles between sending the colum number after the row number, both needed to form the memory address.
- RAS Precharge is the time in cycles the DRAM cells are charging with
electricity, they needed for proper operation.
- Cycle time or Active precharge delay is the delay between subsequent memory accesses
- Command Rate is the number of idle clocks before the next command

More idle cycles means less performance.

3 of the mentioned latencies are impacting DRAM performance significantly, CAS Latency, RAS to CAS Delay and Command Rate. The RAS Precharge is more a stability parameter than a performance one. More RAS precharge cycles means better DRAM stability. Cycle time is for stability also. It limits the time in cycles that lasts before a new RAS precharge.
The CL impacts performance the most. It is the time in idle cycles before each data access. Tighter CL means that the DRAM is able to run at higher freqfency and vice versa. The RAS to CAS latency impacts performance less becouse both row and column address strobe signals are not always sent when forming an address. In sequence only the column number is changing(imagine DRAM cells like excell sheet cells), only 1 signal-CAS is send and the RAS to CAS delay is skipped.

The MC is integrated on the K8 to reduce the idle cycles waiting for the proper data to come from RAM. Pentium4 is waiting extra cycles before receiving a RAM data becouse it is using the northbridge and the FSB. With the large L2, P4 is avoiding the most freqfent RAM accesses, therefore avoiding high memory latencies. Thats why the memory latencies are not impacting the P4(as well as Conroe). The K8 has the IMC directly connected to the RAM modules(providing almost no latency), it waits for the DRAM latencies only, when reading data from RAM. As I mentioned, the CAS Latency is wasting the biggest portion of the RAM idle cycles, so CL is imapcting K8 performance the most.

sokos,

I allready told you that you should think tiwce before buying sAM2 K8, it is worth less than s939 K8 in terms of performance/price. You will need DDR2-800 CL4 if you want your sAM2 to perform like same clocked K8 with DDR-400 CL2. I am not sure what is better for a 2.2GHz singlecore K8, the DDR2-667 CL3 or the DDR2-800 CL5. I guess that the DDR2-667 CL3 will perform better. But you should check some benchmarks and model comparisons, as well as price comparison, before you make a decision. Anyway, you will not notice any significant performance difference between various DDR2-667 or DDR2-800.
Here are some interesting links from Toms Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/31/tight_timings_vs_high_clock_frequencies/
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/27/in_search_of_true_ddr2_bleeding_edge_memory/
!