So my next homebuild will look like this?

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
If I stick to my homebuild cycles I'll build a new rig in mid to late 2007. I suppose it'll look like this:

AMD AMD2 or Intel Conroe Processor
ATI Graphics Cards in Crossfire mode or Nvidia in SLI
WD 150 Gig Raptors Times 2 or Vertical Hard Drives
1 Gig PSU for all those drives and cards.
Audigy XFi
DVD Writer and etc…
Physics Card?
2 Gig of RAM
Windows Vista or "Missed Ya" (Depending on how you view it)

Anything else you think might be on the horizon I might be missing?

Da Worfster

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I think he meant 1kW, gigawatts are only needed to send a deloran back in time. 1.21GW I think is correct :lol:
Owch and I work in utility regulation.... sheesh, twenty demerits on that one. Yes... Kilowatt, NOT MegaWatt. Wow.... that would've been interesting... Powering the whole house off of my own generator., half the neighborhood too.

Da Worfster

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If I stick to my homebuild cycles I'll build a new rig in mid to late 2007.

Ask again in mid to late 2007 then. Why does everyone think they can decide what components will be in their next PC a year in advance? It's not possible.

And you'll need more than 2gb of RAM to back up your graphics setup under Vista or there's no point in advanced cards in SLi/Crossfire.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
If I stick to my homebuild cycles I'll build a new rig in mid to late 2007.

Ask again in mid to late 2007 then. Why does everyone think they can decide what components will be in their next PC a year in advance? It's not possible.

And you'll need more than 2gb of RAM to back up your graphics setup under Vista or there's no point in advanced cards in SLi/Crossfire.
Hey, what's the harm of daydreaming with like minded folks. I like to build and upgrade and tinker. Most of the folks on this board like to as well. What's wrong with a little anticipatory daydreaming. Plus I learned something from YOUR post about the expected amount of RAM I'll need... so it does serve a purpose to ask early, but not often.

Thanks...

Da Worfster

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Plus I learned something from YOUR post about the expected amount of RAM I'll need... so it does serve a purpose to ask early, but not often.

Touché!
Hey, I just noticed your Avatar... I run a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 Bass amp. Best money I ever spent.

Da Worfster

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Ummmm.... don't you think a Kw PSU..... would be over doing it by.... oh... say 500Watts or so? Is it possible to consume a 500W PSU with any dual core cpu and any two video cards? I don't think it is. Might come close... but doubt it.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Boogie bass amps rock so badly! I went to a gig recently where the bassist used Bass 400+ thru a 4x10 and 1x15 RoadReady cabs - such hot tone tone TONE!

I run MKIV and Subway Rocket Boogie guitar amps - awesome stereo rig and fits so great into bands. Enjoy your Boogie!!!!

Anyway, back to PCs... :lol:

I got the accent over the E by going into Apple dictionary, typing in Touche and copying the result - any Mac experts wana tell me the quick way? Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E used to work on my PC 'til I got a new keyboard, now it does a Euro sign.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Im not so sure about the memory requirement for Vista they are rewritting 60% of the code base ? Im not sure but that sounds like an awefull lot of code to me lol I do think Vista will require a 256meg video card to get all its juices going...

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yes definatly at least 1GB !!! and 2 isnt out of the question by a long shot ! hmmm 1GB is good enough for most things right now (I hear Oblivion likes to have 2GB's installed)

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah, that is a lot of code considering the whole thing is like 1 million lines, and they are trying to re-write in in 4-6 months. Thats giving them time to ramp up production in November to get it out early 2007

thejesus1

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
ROTFLMAO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
U R MESSED UP!!! :twisted: LOVE IT!MEAN IT!

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Considering the "available" early photos of the 7950 X2, probably you could buy a Quad-SLI setup by mid-late 2007... We'll have to wait ATI to answer that...
AM2 processor? Probably also in the "quad" game, quad-core :wink:
2 GB RAM? I already have that amount! It'll become the standard by that time, and 4 GB will be awesome
X-Fi? Yeah, considering that audio isn't as demanding as graphics (I'm still using a SB Live! 5.1 :lol: )
HD? Measured in TB! Forget today's Raptors!

Think bigger, faster, stronger... Remember Moore's Law :wink:
We're talking about a year or more from now, and techonolgy really leaps in short periods of time!