Sign in with
Your question

So my next homebuild will look like this?

Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2006 2:42:24 PM

If I stick to my homebuild cycles I'll build a new rig in mid to late 2007. I suppose it'll look like this:

AMD AMD2 or Intel Conroe Processor
ATI Graphics Cards in Crossfire mode or Nvidia in SLI
WD 150 Gig Raptors Times 2 or Vertical Hard Drives
1 Gig PSU for all those drives and cards.
Audigy XFi
DVD Writer and etc…
Physics Card?
2 Gig of RAM
Windows Vista or "Missed Ya" (Depending on how you view it)

Anything else you think might be on the horizon I might be missing?

Da Worfster

More about : homebuild

April 28, 2006 3:27:39 PM

Maybe just a single ATI / Nvidia w/ PhysX card over an SLI / CrossFire config...
April 28, 2006 4:01:51 PM

you are talking a year and half a way. New stuff. I mean newer than AM2 or conroe will be out.
Related resources
April 28, 2006 4:10:57 PM

1gig PSU? They have powersupplys in gigs?
April 28, 2006 4:18:48 PM

I think he meant 1kW, gigawatts are only needed to send a deloran back in time. 1.21GW I think is correct :lol: 
April 28, 2006 4:21:56 PM

Quote:
I think he meant 1kW, gigawatts are only needed to send a deloran back in time. 1.21GW I think is correct :lol: 

Owch and I work in utility regulation.... sheesh, twenty demerits on that one. Yes... Kilowatt, NOT MegaWatt. Wow.... that would've been interesting... Powering the whole house off of my own generator., half the neighborhood too.

Da Worfster
April 28, 2006 4:52:25 PM

Quote:
If I stick to my homebuild cycles I'll build a new rig in mid to late 2007.

Ask again in mid to late 2007 then. Why does everyone think they can decide what components will be in their next PC a year in advance? It's not possible.

And you'll need more than 2gb of RAM to back up your graphics setup under Vista or there's no point in advanced cards in SLi/Crossfire.
April 28, 2006 6:32:15 PM

Quote:
If I stick to my homebuild cycles I'll build a new rig in mid to late 2007.

Ask again in mid to late 2007 then. Why does everyone think they can decide what components will be in their next PC a year in advance? It's not possible.

And you'll need more than 2gb of RAM to back up your graphics setup under Vista or there's no point in advanced cards in SLi/Crossfire.
Hey, what's the harm of daydreaming with like minded folks. I like to build and upgrade and tinker. Most of the folks on this board like to as well. What's wrong with a little anticipatory daydreaming. Plus I learned something from YOUR post about the expected amount of RAM I'll need... so it does serve a purpose to ask early, but not often.

Thanks...

Da Worfster
April 28, 2006 6:55:49 PM

Quote:
Plus I learned something from YOUR post about the expected amount of RAM I'll need... so it does serve a purpose to ask early, but not often.

Touché!
April 28, 2006 7:34:38 PM

/me watches this thread turn into a rant on Vista memory requirements
April 28, 2006 7:36:25 PM

I'm sure a 600watt psu can handle that set up with no problem. Get an X-fi Extreme Musics because it's cheaper, around $100. Anything else looks great. :D 
April 28, 2006 7:42:07 PM

Quote:
Plus I learned something from YOUR post about the expected amount of RAM I'll need... so it does serve a purpose to ask early, but not often.

Touché!
Hey, I just noticed your Avatar... I run a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 Bass amp. Best money I ever spent.

Da Worfster
April 28, 2006 7:59:58 PM

Quote:

Touché!
How do you do the accent over the e?
April 28, 2006 8:09:31 PM

hold "alt" while typing "0233" - the codes are listed in accessories -> system tools -> character map. For UK pounds "0163"=£
April 28, 2006 8:32:43 PM

Ummmm.... don't you think a Kw PSU..... would be over doing it by.... oh... say 500Watts or so? Is it possible to consume a 500W PSU with any dual core cpu and any two video cards? I don't think it is. Might come close... but doubt it.
April 28, 2006 8:35:43 PM

Boogie bass amps rock so badly! I went to a gig recently where the bassist used Bass 400+ thru a 4x10 and 1x15 RoadReady cabs - such hot tone tone TONE!

I run MKIV and Subway Rocket Boogie guitar amps - awesome stereo rig and fits so great into bands. Enjoy your Boogie!!!!

Anyway, back to PCs... :lol: 

I got the accent over the E by going into Apple dictionary, typing in Touche and copying the result - any Mac experts wana tell me the quick way? Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E used to work on my PC 'til I got a new keyboard, now it does a Euro sign.
April 28, 2006 8:39:07 PM

Im not so sure about the memory requirement for Vista they are rewritting 60% of the code base ? Im not sure but that sounds like an awefull lot of code to me lol I do think Vista will require a 256meg video card to get all its juices going...
April 29, 2006 10:03:40 PM

2 GB will be dandy. RAM is so cheap now that anyone getting a new PC now shouldn't buy any less than a GB.
April 30, 2006 3:56:47 AM

Yes definatly at least 1GB !!! and 2 isnt out of the question by a long shot ! hmmm 1GB is good enough for most things right now (I hear Oblivion likes to have 2GB's installed)
April 30, 2006 4:37:31 AM

Yeah, that is a lot of code considering the whole thing is like 1 million lines, and they are trying to re-write in in 4-6 months. Thats giving them time to ramp up production in November to get it out early 2007
April 30, 2006 11:10:25 AM

ROTFLMAO!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
U R MESSED UP!!! :twisted: LOVE IT!MEAN IT!
April 30, 2006 8:14:30 PM

Quote:
ROTFLMAO!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
U R MESSED UP!!! :twisted: LOVE IT!MEAN IT!

This is a waste of Internet space.
April 30, 2006 9:18:18 PM

Considering the "available" early photos of the 7950 X2, probably you could buy a Quad-SLI setup by mid-late 2007... We'll have to wait ATI to answer that...
AM2 processor? Probably also in the "quad" game, quad-core :wink:
2 GB RAM? I already have that amount! It'll become the standard by that time, and 4 GB will be awesome
X-Fi? Yeah, considering that audio isn't as demanding as graphics (I'm still using a SB Live! 5.1 :lol:  )
HD? Measured in TB! Forget today's Raptors!

Think bigger, faster, stronger... Remember Moore's Law :wink:
We're talking about a year or more from now, and techonolgy really leaps in short periods of time!
May 1, 2006 1:37:53 PM

Doctor: "We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But we don't want to spend a lot of money."

</family guy>
May 1, 2006 2:35:25 PM

Why are we designing a system based on crap that isn't even out yet?
May 1, 2006 5:53:22 PM

We aren't so much as "designing a system" as me gathering input as to where gaming rigs will be by late 2007. I'm just doing this so that I hopefully won't be on a cusp like I was last build in 2004. I missed PCI-E based cards and boards by a few months... Don't want to get caught out like that again...

Da Worfster
May 1, 2006 6:06:27 PM

a whole kilowatt PSU thats seems like overkill but since most of this technology is out yet we will have to see
May 1, 2006 6:22:05 PM

Quote:
a whole kilowatt PSU thats seems like overkill but since most of this technology is out yet we will have to see

a 1000w PSU ?
dude, uhhh there already is one made by PC Power&Cooling
May 1, 2006 6:59:27 PM

I think he was saying that a 1kw PSU is more than you would need.... alot more.... but then again alot of new tech will be releasing soon.... that is what he was saying but, regardless of new tech a 1kw PSU is still way more than you would need. A good 450-500 would be plenty.
May 1, 2006 7:23:49 PM

Quote:
I think he was saying that a 1kw PSU is more than you would need.... alot more.... but then again alot of new tech will be releasing soon.... that is what he was saying but, regardless of new tech a 1kw PSU is still way more than you would need. A good 450-500 would be plenty.

yes, technology has pretty much exponentially increased in power consumption in the last 10 years. However, companies are starting to care, and let's not forget that newer processes = low voltage.
take Conroe, supposedly it will run at 1.1-1.2v, which is incredible
May 1, 2006 7:29:04 PM

oh of course... much lower voltage.... 1 to 2 tenths of a volt less than my Opty at stock.... the whole point is that a 1kw PSU is pointless for just about any setup.... even in a dual dual core setup you would not need that kind of juice. And acutally, some of the older systems from a fwe years ago use the same amount of wattage as todays do... for instance, some systems with an older XP in them would draw about the same as a current 3500k8.... the video cards are probably the largest increase.
May 1, 2006 7:29:11 PM

Quote:

I got the accent over the E by going into Apple dictionary, typing in Touche and copying the result - any Mac experts wana tell me the quick way? Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E used to work on my PC 'til I got a new keyboard, now it does a Euro sign.

To get the accents on a mac hit option+e plus the vowel you want to put it on, (é á í ó ú) for this one ü do option+u then u again, for the ñ hit option+n then n again, the nifty ç is the easiest, just option+c. There are lots more, just experiment with the option key.
May 1, 2006 7:34:57 PM

Yeah, dual video cards are a massive offense in this category.
I don't get why the hell anybody does it. It's an enormous waste of cash, energy and space.[/code]
!