  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 25, 2005 8:10:02 AM

i have lost my sisters recovery disc also id , and her pc crashed and she is
unable to recover her pc .her system is aptiva ibm, and windows second
edition 98 is there any hope
please help
cheers and many thanks

--
MDD

More about : windows recovery disc lost

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:11:47 PM

Without professional help, No.
You can buy Windows 98 disks on ebay, but you will have to search the
Internet for driver software to match the video card, the sound card and the
modem (after you determine the make and model no. of each). You start by
reformatting your hard drive, using a boot disk and then proceed to the
installation of a new system.
But from the sound of your question, this may be over your head.
Check out the cost of professional help first. It may be cheaper to buy a
new system.

"mezzamd" <mezzamd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have lost my sisters recovery disc also id , and her pc crashed and she
>is
> unable to recover her pc .her system is aptiva ibm, and windows second
> edition 98 is there any hope
> please help
> cheers and many thanks
>
> --
> MDD
May 25, 2005 4:19:57 PM

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Without professional help, No.
> You can buy Windows 98 disks on ebay, but you will have to search the
> Internet for driver software to match the video card, the sound card and
> the modem (after you determine the make and model no. of each). You start
> by reformatting your hard drive, using a boot disk and then proceed to the
> installation of a new system.
> But from the sound of your question, this may be over your head.
> Check out the cost of professional help first. It may be cheaper to buy a
> new system.
>
> "mezzamd" <mezzamd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>i have lost my sisters recovery disc also id , and her pc crashed and she
>>is
>> unable to recover her pc .her system is aptiva ibm, and windows second
>> edition 98 is there any hope
>> please help
>> cheers and many thanks
>>
>> --
>> MDD

what model aptiva ?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:17:03 AM

Will the machine boot to Safe Mode?
Start the machine and hold down the CTRL key or continually tap F8 to get to the
startup menu.
Select Safe Mode from the menu.

It's not the Product ID you need, it's the Product Key.
If you need the product key, have not formatted your drive and can still access
Windows, MVP George Gedye has an app ( RegInfo ver3 ) that will pull it from the
registry for you.
http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/

Click on Software, click on Applications, scroll down to RegInfo ver3.
Or
Your Product Key can be found in the registry. Go to Start > Run, type in:
regedit and hit enter. Navigate to:
Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Click once on CurrentVersion, the name not the +, and scroll to ProductID or
ProductKey in the right pane.

If you can’t boot Win98, but haven’t formatted the system drive, then boot with
a startup floppy or to a command prompt and run either of these:
C:\Windows\command\Find /I “ProductKey� c:\windows\system.dat
C:\Windows\command\Find /I “ProductKey� c:\system.1st

If these steps aren’t possible (you already formatted it), US customers can
contact Microsoft at: 1 800 642-7676. They will issue
retail and OEM product keys after verifying data located on the W98 CD.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }