windows 98 recovery disc lost

i have lost my sisters recovery disc also id , and her pc crashed and she is
unable to recover her pc .her system is aptiva ibm, and windows second
edition 98 is there any hope
please help
cheers and many thanks

--
MDD
3 answers Last reply

    Without professional help, No.
    You can buy Windows 98 disks on ebay, but you will have to search the
    Internet for driver software to match the video card, the sound card and the
    modem (after you determine the make and model no. of each). You start by
    reformatting your hard drive, using a boot disk and then proceed to the
    installation of a new system.
    But from the sound of your question, this may be over your head.
    Check out the cost of professional help first. It may be cheaper to buy a
    new system.

    "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > Without professional help, No.
    > You can buy Windows 98 disks on ebay, but you will have to search the
    > Internet for driver software to match the video card, the sound card and
    > the modem (after you determine the make and model no. of each). You start
    > by reformatting your hard drive, using a boot disk and then proceed to the
    > installation of a new system.
    > But from the sound of your question, this may be over your head.
    > Check out the cost of professional help first. It may be cheaper to buy a
    > new system.
    >
    > "mezzamd" <mezzamd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>i have lost my sisters recovery disc also id , and her pc crashed and she
    >>is
    >> unable to recover her pc .her system is aptiva ibm, and windows second
    >> edition 98 is there any hope
    >> please help
    >> cheers and many thanks
    >>
    >> --
    >> MDD

    what model aptiva ?

    Will the machine boot to Safe Mode?
    Start the machine and hold down the CTRL key or continually tap F8 to get to the
    startup menu.
    Select Safe Mode from the menu.

    It's not the Product ID you need, it's the Product Key.
    If you need the product key, have not formatted your drive and can still access
    Windows, MVP George Gedye has an app ( RegInfo ver3 ) that will pull it from the
    registry for you.
    http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/

    Click on Software, click on Applications, scroll down to RegInfo ver3.
    Or
    Your Product Key can be found in the registry. Go to Start > Run, type in:
    regedit and hit enter. Navigate to:
    Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    Click once on CurrentVersion, the name not the +, and scroll to ProductID or
    ProductKey in the right pane.

    If you can’t boot Win98, but haven’t formatted the system drive, then boot with
    a startup floppy or to a command prompt and run either of these:
    C:\Windows\command\Find /I “ProductKey� c:\windows\system.dat
    C:\Windows\command\Find /I “ProductKey� c:\system.1st

    If these steps aren’t possible (you already formatted it), US customers can
    contact Microsoft at: 1 800 642-7676. They will issue
    retail and OEM product keys after verifying data located on the W98 CD.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "mezzamd" <mezzamd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have lost my sisters recovery disc also id , and her pc crashed and she is
    > unable to recover her pc .her system is aptiva ibm, and windows second
    > edition 98 is there any hope
    > please help
    > cheers and many thanks
    >
    > --
    > MDD

Data Recovery Windows 98 Microsoft Windows