Windows Installer creates thousands of 0 kb files

Hi, I`m having a problem with (supposedly) the Windows Installer application:
whenever an security update or a msi requiring executable is run, the
directory c:\windows\inf (and - as this is Windows ME - \restore\temp) is
fillied up with thousands of 0kb files. These files are named "oem00001.inf,
oem00002.inf, oem00003.inf, ... oem99999.inf". No error message displays,
however, the system is virtually halted as processing of all these files
takes all resources of the system. Tried to reinstall InstMsiA.exe but the OS
says that this service already exists. Any hints would be helpful. Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows installer creates thousands files

    You must have left norton software running while using windows update....
    tut tut...

    between the pair of them, the pc locks into an endless loop creating all
    those 0 byte files....

    Probably most of us using norton have overlooked this at one time or other
    by accident...

    Antway, delete all the zero byte inf files, (I had thousands too my first
    time around) & you MUST disable norton...

    only then revisit the windows update site & continue with your updates....
    ;)

    "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > You must have left norton software running while using windows update.... tut
    > tut...
    >
    > between the pair of them, the pc locks into an endless loop creating all those
    > 0 byte files....
    >
    > Probably most of us using norton have overlooked this at one time or other by
    > accident...
    >
    > Antway, delete all the zero byte inf files, (I had thousands too my first time
    > around) & you MUST disable norton...

    Advisable yes, but not true for all. I have never disabled NIS/NAV and never
    had the problem mentioned. As the saying goes, YMMV.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    What version of the installer is on the machine?
    You can download the latest installer package here.
    Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Me
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=32831

    or if the link breaks:
    http://tinyurl.com/3ha9

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    "Philipp Kemper" <Philipp Kemper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I`m having a problem with (supposedly) the Windows Installer application:
    > whenever an security update or a msi requiring executable is run, the
    > directory c:\windows\inf (and - as this is Windows ME - \restore\temp) is
    > fillied up with thousands of 0kb files. These files are named "oem00001.inf,
    > oem00002.inf, oem00003.inf, ... oem99999.inf". No error message displays,
    > however, the system is virtually halted as processing of all these files
    > takes all resources of the system. Tried to reinstall InstMsiA.exe but the OS
    > says that this service already exists. Any hints would be helpful. Thanks.

    With me it was having that 'Norton System Doctor' running in the background
    whilst accessing the updates...

    Never had any problems with having NAV left running, only NSD....

    Anyway, here is another info link:
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/windowsme_unable_to_update.htm

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> You must have left norton software running while using windows update....
    >> tut tut...
    >>
    >> between the pair of them, the pc locks into an endless loop creating all
    >> those 0 byte files....
    >>
    >> Probably most of us using norton have overlooked this at one time or
    >> other by accident...
    >>
    >> Antway, delete all the zero byte inf files, (I had thousands too my first
    >> time around) & you MUST disable norton...
    >
    > Advisable yes, but not true for all. I have never disabled NIS/NAV and
    > never had the problem mentioned. As the saying goes, YMMV.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm