Fatal Exception in VXD

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 25, 2005 10:41:05 AM

I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons; when I
depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now I
just get the error message. How do I correct this?

More about : fatal exception vxd

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:35:37 PM

"wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
| 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
| The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
| computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons; when I
| depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now I
| just get the error message. How do I correct this?

I betcha it's one of those Windows Critical Updates acting up again....grrr!
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:35:38 PM

> "wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
>> 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
>> The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
>> computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons;
when I
>> depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now
>> just get the error message. How do I correct this?

You may be at the point of needing to do a clean install, unless someone
here has a good suggestion. Those blue screen VxD errors for me have
typically resulted in that. Have you at least tried restoring a good
registry backup?
May 26, 2005 12:30:49 AM

You can take a look at this article, but I don't think it will apply to your
situation --
Fatal Exception Error Message in VXD IOS(04):
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192925

I suggest doing as Bill posted.....boot to DOS and run scanreg /restore, and choose
to restore a registry backup from just prior to when the blue screens started
occurring. If this will get you back to the previous state, that of displaying the
wallpaper but no icons or taskbar, we may be able to help you from there.

How did you manage to run a registry tune-up utility if Windows was not loading
Explorer?
Can you (or could you prior to these blue screens) start in Safe Mode?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
> 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
> The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
> computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons; when I
> depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now I
> just get the error message. How do I correct this?
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:56:02 AM

I wound up reformatting the hard drive and re-installing Windows 98 this
weekend. I tried using the "restore" floppy I'd made some time ago but there
was a problem. At least now my machine boots properly.
Next question: since the hard disk is reformatted, how do I download drivers
from the Gateway site when the machine refuses to recognize the modem (the
BIOS says modem is Enabled but the OS says the machine has no modem)? The
modem driver is over 1.5 MB so I can't download onto a floppy at the library.
Is there a disk usually available with these drivers (the graphics are awful
at this point, too)?

"Bill in Co." wrote:

> > "wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
> >> 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
> >> The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
> >> computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons;
> when I
> >> depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now
> >> just get the error message. How do I correct this?
>
> You may be at the point of needing to do a clean install, unless someone
> here has a good suggestion. Those blue screen VxD errors for me have
> typically resulted in that. Have you at least tried restoring a good
> registry backup?

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:58:03 AM

Thanks for your help. My restore floppy wouldn't do the trick. Please see my
reply to Bill.

!