Fatal Exception in VXD

I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons; when I
depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now I
just get the error message. How do I correct this?
5 answers Last reply
More about fatal exception

    "wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
    | 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
    | The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
    | computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons; when I
    | depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now I
    | just get the error message. How do I correct this?

    I betcha it's one of those Windows Critical Updates acting up again....grrr!

    > "wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
    >> 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
    >> The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
    >> computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons;
    when I
    >> depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now
    >> just get the error message. How do I correct this?

    You may be at the point of needing to do a clean install, unless someone
    here has a good suggestion. Those blue screen VxD errors for me have
    typically resulted in that. Have you at least tried restoring a good
    registry backup?

    You can take a look at this article, but I don't think it will apply to your
    situation --
    Fatal Exception Error Message in VXD IOS(04):
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192925

    I suggest doing as Bill posted.....boot to DOS and run scanreg /restore, and choose
    to restore a registry backup from just prior to when the blue screens started
    occurring. If this will get you back to the previous state, that of displaying the
    wallpaper but no icons or taskbar, we may be able to help you from there.

    How did you manage to run a registry tune-up utility if Windows was not loading
    Explorer?
    Can you (or could you prior to these blue screens) start in Safe Mode?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
    > 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
    > The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
    > computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons; when I
    > depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now I
    > just get the error message. How do I correct this?

    I wound up reformatting the hard drive and re-installing Windows 98 this
    weekend. I tried using the "restore" floppy I'd made some time ago but there
    was a problem. At least now my machine boots properly.
    Next question: since the hard disk is reformatted, how do I download drivers
    from the Gateway site when the machine refuses to recognize the modem (the
    BIOS says modem is Enabled but the OS says the machine has no modem)? The
    modem driver is over 1.5 MB so I can't download onto a floppy at the library.
    Is there a disk usually available with these drivers (the graphics are awful
    at this point, too)?

    "Bill in Co." wrote:

    > > "wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
    > >> 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
    > >> The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
    > >> computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons;
    > when I
    > >> depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now
    > >> just get the error message. How do I correct this?
    >
    > You may be at the point of needing to do a clean install, unless someone
    > here has a good suggestion. Those blue screen VxD errors for me have
    > typically resulted in that. Have you at least tried restoring a good
    > registry backup?

    Thanks for your help. My restore floppy wouldn't do the trick. Please see my
    reply to Bill.

    "glee" wrote:

    > You can take a look at this article, but I don't think it will apply to your
    > situation --
    > Fatal Exception Error Message in VXD IOS(04):
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192925
    >
    > I suggest doing as Bill posted.....boot to DOS and run scanreg /restore, and choose
    > to restore a registry backup from just prior to when the blue screens started
    > occurring. If this will get you back to the previous state, that of displaying the
    > wallpaper but no icons or taskbar, we may be able to help you from there.
    >
    > How did you manage to run a registry tune-up utility if Windows was not loading
    > Explorer?
    > Can you (or could you prior to these blue screens) start in Safe Mode?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "wstrnmdw" <wstrnmdw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I get a message on startup that says there's a fatal exception in
    > > 0028:C02C1BFD in VXD IOS(04) + 00002031.
    > > The original problem, before I ran a registry tune-up utlity, was that my
    > > computer would start to boot up, display the wallpaper, but no icons; when I
    > > depressed ctrl+alt+del to see what was running, nothing was running! Now I
    > > just get the error message. How do I correct this?

Windows