Going into My Computer causes pc to crash

I have a 98 client on a network that whenever the user goes into the My
Computer icon, the system gets a blue screen. This does not happen with any
other icon and is not happening to anyone else on the network. Otherwise the
computer works fine.

Any ideas or suggestions are appricated.

Thank you.

Frank
5 answers Last reply
More about going computer crash

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9CF7E188-93DD-41EC-B07F-1BEC77FCBDF4@microsoft.com...
    >I have a 98 client on a network that whenever the user goes into the My
    > Computer icon, the system gets a blue screen. This does not happen with any
    > other icon and is not happening to anyone else on the network. Otherwise the
    > computer works fine.

    What is the exact message of the blue screen?

    If there is nothing new (hardware or software) that was knowingly added, I
    would start with clean booting:

    How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192926

    Of course, check for virus and if the computer has access to the Internet,
    check for spyware as well.

    PattyL

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 98 client on a network that whenever the user goes into the My
    > Computer icon, the system gets a blue screen. This does not happen with
    > any
    > other icon and is not happening to anyone else on the network. Otherwise
    > the
    > computer works fine.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions are appricated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Frank

    Fatal exception 0E has occurred at ...0167:BFF9DFFF.

    Does this help?

    "Bill Blanton" wrote:

    > "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9CF7E188-93DD-41EC-B07F-1BEC77FCBDF4@microsoft.com...
    > >I have a 98 client on a network that whenever the user goes into the My
    > > Computer icon, the system gets a blue screen. This does not happen with any
    > > other icon and is not happening to anyone else on the network. Otherwise the
    > > computer works fine.
    >
    > What is the exact message of the blue screen?

    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "Explorer caused"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase; comes up
    with many, inc. these that mention My Computer...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;148322&Product=w98
    Err Msg: Explorer Caused a Page Fault in Module Shell32.dll
    (148322) - When you try to open My Computer, Control Panel, or the
    Printers folder, you may receive one of the following error messages:
    Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Shell32.dll. -or-
    Explorer caused a divide error in module Shell32.dll.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;227152&Product=w98
    Error Message: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Pdm.dll
    (227152) - When you use Windows Explorer or features in Windows that use
    Windows Explorer (such as My Computer), you may receive the following
    error message: Explorer caused an invalid page fault in PDM.DLL.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311359&Product=w98
    An Invalid Page Fault Occurs in Module Shdocvw.dll When You Open My
    Computer or Control Panel
    (311359) - When you attempt to open My Computer or Control Panel, you
    may receive the following error message: Explorer caused an invalid page
    fault in module SHDOCVW.dll

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have a 98 client on a network that whenever the user goes into the
    My
    | Computer icon, the system gets a blue screen. This does not happen
    with any
    | other icon and is not happening to anyone else on the network.
    Otherwise the
    | computer works fine.
    |
    | Any ideas or suggestions are appricated.
    |
    | Thank you.
    |
    | Frank

    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Fatal+exception+0E&num=10&hl=en&c2coff=1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=0167%3ABFF9DFFF&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=Fatal+exception+0E&num=10&as_scoring=r&hl=en&c2coff=1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=0167%3ABFF9DFFF&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=microsoft*&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&as_umsgid=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2005&safe=images

    Since you're using the microsoft web forum, you may have to put those
    links back together. There doesn't appear to be a common thread
    linking the problem, but maybe you'll find something that sounds
    familiar.

    Does it happen if the client is not connected to the network? No problem
    with opening explorer and it seeing network shares?

    Have you tried disabling all user startup applications and non-essential system
    services (msconfig)? A "clean boot"?

    http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Windows/CleanBoot.html

    Though far fetched, you might also want to go into the registry and check for
    any third party namespace items that want to load into "My Computer". For that
    matter I wouldn't rule out first party namespaces either.
    You'll find them here.
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace
    It's fairly obvious which ones belong to Windows. To temporarily disable any, you can
    rename the subkey by preceding it with a hyphen.

    Example. To disable "Scheduled tasks" you'd rename the subkey to;
    -{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
    and then try to open My Computer.

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9957BE1-1998-45B6-9F6C-43FE6B6C680D@microsoft.com...
    > Fatal exception 0E has occurred at ...0167:BFF9DFFF.
    >
    > Does this help?
    >
    > "Bill Blanton" wrote:
    >
    >> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9CF7E188-93DD-41EC-B07F-1BEC77FCBDF4@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have a 98 client on a network that whenever the user goes into the My
    >> > Computer icon, the system gets a blue screen. This does not happen with any
    >> > other icon and is not happening to anyone else on the network. Otherwise the
    >> > computer works fine.
    >>
    >> What is the exact message of the blue screen?

Computers Crash Microsoft Windows