Modem Display Status

Joy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

I posted this to the I.E. Group, it was suggested I post here:

A friend has Win98; I.E. 6.0. The Modem Display Status icon does not show
in the Taskbar when he is online. In My Computer - Dial Up Networking -
(ISP) - Properties - Configure - Options, the box IS checked for Display
Modem Status.

Tried this: unchecked, closed out; opened up, rechecked; rebooted and it
still did not show up. I thought maybe it might have something to do with
locking/unlocking the Taskbar, but I see Win98 doesn't have that option the
way WinXP does. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Is your friend connecting to an ISP that uses a proprietary dialer? If this
is the case, then the icon would not appear or a different icon that gives
similar information might.

If the Windows dialer is being used, then try creating a new connection from
Dial-up Networking, Add Connection.

PattyL

"Joy" <joymp2@bellsouth.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>I posted this to the I.E. Group, it was suggested I post here:
>
> A friend has Win98; I.E. 6.0. The Modem Display Status icon does not show
> in the Taskbar when he is online. In My Computer - Dial Up Networking -
> (ISP) - Properties - Configure - Options, the box IS checked for Display
> Modem Status.
>
> Tried this: unchecked, closed out; opened up, rechecked; rebooted and it
> still did not show up. I thought maybe it might have something to do with
> locking/unlocking the Taskbar, but I see Win98 doesn't have that option
> the
> way WinXP does. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Joy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks for the reply, Patty. Sorry to be dumb, but what is a "proprietary
dialer"? He has Walmart Connect - does that help? There is a sort of icon
that looks like a traffic light (that I haven't seen before). It doesn't
seem to have the option (that my own has) of being able to right click and
disconnect from the icon.

"PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
> Is your friend connecting to an ISP that uses a proprietary dialer? If
> this is the case, then the icon would not appear or a different icon that
> gives similar information might.
>
> If the Windows dialer is being used, then try creating a new connection
> from Dial-up Networking, Add Connection.
>
> PattyL
>

> "Joy" <joymp2@bellsouth.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>>I posted this to the I.E. Group, it was suggested I post here:
>>
>> A friend has Win98; I.E. 6.0. The Modem Display Status icon does not
>> show
>> in the Taskbar when he is online. In My Computer - Dial Up Networking -
>> (ISP) - Properties - Configure - Options, the box IS checked for Display
>> Modem Status.
>>
>> Tried this: unchecked, closed out; opened up, rechecked; rebooted and it
>> still did not show up. I thought maybe it might have something to do
>> with
>> locking/unlocking the Taskbar, but I see Win98 doesn't have that option
>> the
>> way WinXP does. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A proprietary dialer is a dialer app that is used only by that ISP, rather than
using the dialer that is built in Windows Dial-Up Networking. The traffic light you
see (one red, one green light) is likely to be Lights.exe, a Windows modem status
applet that often runs when a proprietary dialer is in use. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
when the icon is visible in the tray, and you should see Lights.exe listed in the
list of running programs.

With Walmart Connect, you are likely using their own dialer, so this is the only
icon you will see in the tray.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Thanks for the reply, Patty. Sorry to be dumb, but what is a "proprietary
> dialer"? He has Walmart Connect - does that help? There is a sort of icon
> that looks like a traffic light (that I haven't seen before). It doesn't
> seem to have the option (that my own has) of being able to right click and
> disconnect from the icon.
>
> "PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
> > Is your friend connecting to an ISP that uses a proprietary dialer? If
> > this is the case, then the icon would not appear or a different icon that
> > gives similar information might.
> >
> > If the Windows dialer is being used, then try creating a new connection
> > from Dial-up Networking, Add Connection.
> >
> > PattyL
> >

> > "Joy" <joymp2@bellsouth.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
> >>I posted this to the I.E. Group, it was suggested I post here:
> >>
> >> A friend has Win98; I.E. 6.0. The Modem Display Status icon does not
> >> show
> >> in the Taskbar when he is online. In My Computer - Dial Up Networking -
> >> (ISP) - Properties - Configure - Options, the box IS checked for Display
> >> Modem Status.
> >>
> >> Tried this: unchecked, closed out; opened up, rechecked; rebooted and it
> >> still did not show up. I thought maybe it might have something to do
> >> with
> >> locking/unlocking the Taskbar, but I see Win98 doesn't have that option
> >> the
> >> way WinXP does. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Joy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks, Glen, sounds like this is probably the case. I'll pass along this
information.

>A proprietary dialer is a dialer app that is used only by that ISP, rather
>than
> using the dialer that is built in Windows Dial-Up Networking. The traffic
> light you
> see (one red, one green light) is likely to be Lights.exe, a Windows modem
> status
> applet that often runs when a proprietary dialer is in use. Press
> Ctrl+Alt+Delete
> when the icon is visible in the tray, and you should see Lights.exe listed
> in the
> list of running programs.
>
> With Walmart Connect, you are likely using their own dialer, so this is
> the only
> icon you will see in the tray.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Joy" <joymp2@bellsouth.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the reply, Patty. Sorry to be dumb, but what is a
>> "proprietary
>> dialer"? He has Walmart Connect - does that help? There is a sort of
>> icon
>> that looks like a traffic light (that I haven't seen before). It doesn't
>> seem to have the option (that my own has) of being able to right click
>> and
>> disconnect from the icon.
>>
>> "PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Is your friend connecting to an ISP that uses a proprietary dialer? If
>> > this is the case, then the icon would not appear or a different icon
>> > that
>> > gives similar information might.
>> >
>> > If the Windows dialer is being used, then try creating a new connection
>> > from Dial-up Networking, Add Connection.
>> >
>> > PattyL
>> >

>> > "Joy" <joymp2@bellsouth.net.NO_SPAM> wrote in message

Thanks to Glen for his response.

In researching this, it appears that Walmart Connect is a version of AOL
which is definitely proprietary. They use their own dialer for connecting
and you would not expect to see the things that are available with the
Windows dialer. There is probably some other way to disconnect without
closing all the open web pages but I don't know what it is.